Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services powers4premiere powers4premiere powers4premiere  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 2,293 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,479 reviews
on March 18, 2013
Update
------
Please note that there is a new version of this player to be released soon. The BDP-S5200. The higher end BDP-S6200 is available now and you can find out what I thought of the player on the product page here>

Sony BDPS6200 3D Blu-ray Player with Wi-Fi and 4K Upscaling

-------
Original BDP-S5100 review:

This is a full featured BD/DVD/Network player.

The player uses the same XMB (Xross Media Bar) interface as last years players and the PS3. All the same services are on this player as last year, including all the popular ones - Netflix, Amazon, VUDU, Hulu and Crackle. The Netflix interface supports the new Super HD (5800kb/s) stream, with Dolby Digital + audio. Amazon also supports Watchlists and Dolby Digital 5.1 bitstream. I mention this, because its one of the few players out there that does.

New for 2013 is the Youtube app, that gets a serious facelift, and supports HD streams and a new look.

Disk start up times have also being improved over last year by at least 10 seconds (compared to the top of the line BDP-S790 from 2012).

A lot of folks complained about text input on last years player, as the onscreen keyboard used a numeric keypad to provide the input. This year, Sony replaces it with a full QWERTY style onscreen keyboard, which is certainly easier to use.

What else is there. Well again the Sony player is very good for supporting local media playback through DLNA. This bluray player supports more file formats and codecs that most, and is best used with the Serviio DLNA server.

Also new for 2013 is the players ability to work with Sony's new 2nd screen app called TV Sideview. This gives folks the opportunity to interact with the player using a iOS or Android device. You are able to search across multiple network services (Netflix, youtube) and local content too ... although i've not had much luck with search ... the system seems to have a few bugs in it right now. Early days though.

One other new capability over last year is the built in Opera web browser. It has being improved and will support "some" HTML5 video streams ... such as youtube, within the browser. Again, my experience with it wasn't ideal, and I really wouldn't recommend using this blue-ray player to browse the net! Its just too slow to render the pages.

Visually, its a nice looking player, and has a semi metal case, compared to last years all plastic one. Its suppose to have improved WIFI reception too ... although I only tested it with a wired Ethernet cable.

If you're looking for a solid disk and network player, the BDP-S5100 is well worth a look. Is it worth upgrading from last years BDP-S590? ... well, only if you are a heavy youtube user would I consider it. The BDP-S590 was already a excellent Bluray player, and Sony has only done a few incremental improvements here.

Final thoughts ... note that this player has no analog outputs; not even for audio .. so if you have non HDMI equipment, don't even consider this player. No Digital optical output either (Only Coaxial) Also this player won't come with a HDMI cable, so plan ahead !!

I can't comment on its 3D abilities as I don't have any 3D displays.

For folks that may have a issues with video cutting out intermittently, do yourself a favor and turn off "deep color" in the screen settings. No content uses this feature anyway.

Thanks for reading.
5150+ comments| 1,024 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 3, 2013
Pros: Quick setup, great picture quality, lots of apps
Cons: Menu screen is a bit too dark, BD player a bit noisy

I've only had this player for a couple of weeks, but have played around with it quite a bit. I'll preface my review experience by saying that this is my first blu-ray player, so I have nothing to baseline it against.

The player loads very quickly upon power up. Compared to the load time on my Oppo 971h DVD player, it's a race car. The picture and sound quality are top notch, as expected. I did not experience any glitches during playback and the 7.1 surround sound is truly immersive. The wifi setup was very easy and I was able to quickly download an update to the firmware and be up and running in a short time. There is a bit of a noise when using the physical disk (BD or DVD) as it spins even when you're not playing the movie. This was not much of an issue for me since my equipment is inside a cabinet.

There are the typical selection of apps avaiable for streaming: Netflix, Amazon instant video, Youtube, Hulu+, Vudu, etc. I tried out Netflix first and the HD streaming was flawless, with no interruptions or lags. It does take about 20 - 30 seconds to load to actual app, but once you're in, there are no delays. I had a similar experience with Amazon. I'm a Prime member, so as soon as I logged in, I saw my saved items in the queue. There was a small delay with the Amazon app as I navigated through the choices and menus. Also, the Amazon user interface is actually more intuitive on the older Wii console.

Pandora is another app I've tried and have gone through several playlists throughout the week. Again, like the Amazon app, I experience some delays here and there, but nothing too annoying. The songs however, seemed to play with no lag.

The one area that is somewhat annoying is the menu and keyboard options. I'm hoping to remedy the latter with a USB keyboard, but for now, I have a reasonable solution. I've installed the TV SideView app on my iPad (it's also available in the Google Playstore). Using the app, I can quickly search for titles, play movies, music, etc. much faster than wading through the menus with the remote.

As I mentioned before, the menu seems a bit dark and scrolling through the huge list of apps for video and audio is not ideal in the current arrangement. I've also experienced some sub-menus that don't display a "back" or "return" button. It appears as if you're stranded at the end of some menu. You are forced to hit the "Home" button to get back to the main menu.

The physical size of the player is rather small, which is nice if you're fighting for room in your electronics cabinet. It is somewhat difficult to stack another device on top of it since it has that prism design, but I still managed to get the Wii console and my ATT Uverse box on top of it. The build quality seems rather cheap for a player that's supposed to be a flagship model.

Overall, I'm very pleased with this device so far and I'd say it's a solid contender. I may provide an update in a couple of months after extended use.
on January 8, 2014
Let me start by saying I think this is one of the best blu-ray players on the market. If not the best. However, there are a few things that Sony *STILL* can't get right after several years. This is my third Sony branded BDP-series player in five years.

The long and short of it is the player does its basic functions - playback, internet connectivity, interactivity - all extremely well.

However, Sony still continues to have weird proprietary issues, as they've had throughout all their history, which keeps this player from being basically perfect.

To start:

1. Controls are inconsistent throughout the internet apps. Some (like Netflix) let you exit through the "return" button. Hulu requires you to hit the HOME button. On-screen keyboards are different throughout every single app. I know the individual service providers are often to blame for this, but Sony could have done a little about it. Other devices do. Having different onscreen keyboards is really frustrating.

2. STILL, in 2014, onscreen keyboards are sluggish and difficult to use.

3. Speaking of keyboards, one of the nice features of this player is that it supports a USB keyboard. But good luck finding one it supports. The specs say it supports "101 keyboard" - that's all.. Which isn't even a thing. I imagine they mean a 101 *key* keyboard, which is pretty much impossible to find anymore. Several USB keyboards I tried didn't work. The popular Logitech Unifying wireless keyboards, which work with everything else from my Stanton SCS-4DJ DJ console to my cable box, do not work with this player. As a software engineeer, I can tell you this is just pure laziness. There is no reason they couldn't have simply written in support for the entire standard USB HID keyboard class, vs narrowing it down to a much tighter keyboard spec. Much simpler and cheaper devices handle this just fine. Keyboards aren't exactly complex; they've been around a little while. This could easily be fixed with a firmware update - lets hope Sony takes care of it.

4. The Hulu app is strangely sluggish compared to others

5. Despite a dedicated button for "SEN" (Sony Entertainment Network) on the remote, I repeatedly have tried but have not been able to get it to work. I simply get an "An Error Occured" screen. It works fine on my two PS3s and other Sony BDP. Makes no sense. I'll keep trying (EDIT: It eventually started working after about 3 hours. Mysterious.)

6. Again, maybe I'm asking too much (since I own other players like an OPPO) - but WHY can't Sony integrate some simple support for formats that they (god forbid) don't own? Nobody ever wins in these stupid standards fights. Why no FLAC disc support? Why SACD, but no HDCD or DVD-A? Of course I know the answers to these questions - especially when dealing with Sony - it's pure Not Invented Here Syndrome. Sony has gotten better about that (fie, Memory Stick!) - but they still play this game for some reason.

7. The pyramid shape, while cute, is really impractical.

8. Lots of the included "100+ apps" (they are using some creative math here) and channels are really crufty and kitschy. YuppTV? The Wiggles? Billabong? Red Bull TV? "CelebTV"? I have no idea what Opera is doing with the "Opera TV Store" which is completely analogous to the Sony Entertainment Network, just with fewer choices plus some games. Trying to remain relevant, I guess, with yet another App/Movie/Game store. Yawn. How many of these icons will do nothing in 6-12 months? Most if not all. It's starting to look like the old days of preloaded PC crapware. I'm all for choice, but some of this stuff is just garbage.

9. FacebookTV. Automatically broadcasts to the world the title of what you're watching. I'm not sure what kind of person this is for. I find it weird. Really weird. I can see no purpose for it existing other than for Facebook to grab metadata for targeted advertising. This trend disturbs me. Before you know it, Coke cans will be wired and will broadcast to Facebook "Steve just enjoyed a Refreshing Coca-Cola (TM)!" Gah.

10. Only 100mbit wired Ethernet and 2.4GHz only, not 5GHz. Booo.

And the biggest pain in the ass (and hey Amazon, here's looking at you): Sony STILL makes you sign up for their stupid Bravia service portal to use certain providers, namely Amazon Instant Video. Confusingly, the Amazon app provides a 5-character code that you'd think would register you on Amazon's site - specifically because they list Sony BRAVIA directly on that page AND also ask for a 5-character code! But no, the code is for another website, BRAVIA branded, (internet.sony.tv/customer - now strangely called "My Essentials", but still branded as "My Bravia" once you sign in) which entails even more convoluted registration hoops. Stupid, stupid, stupid. Why are some Sony devices, called Bravia, registered directly through Amazon - while others, NOT called Bravia but when using Amazon, are registered through "My Bravia"? Mind boggling. Marketers: You are a scourge.

This is the game you have to play to use Pandora, Amazon and Vudu.

A further note: This is also COMPLETELY separate from the Sony Entertainment Network (also known as the Playstation Network) with which you also have to register your device. Why all these disparate services, Sony!??

All being said, I admit I'm probably being picky. At $100, this device does more than anyone would have dreamed even three years ago - and does it very, very well. It really is one of the best players out there. That being said, it's 2014, and there's really no excuse for a lot of the annoyances that come with consumer electronics these days, especially from a major brand like Sony. Sony needs to get their marketing department out of their product design and go back to good engineering.

So, on the positive side, real quick - I'm just saying what others have said:

1. Fast and responsive.
2. Picture quality is near perfect
3. Audio quality is near perfect
4. Discs load fast
5. Wi-fi is fast, and streaming is high quality and smooth
6. Support for DLNA. Even recognized my Logitech media server (Squeezebox). Nice.
7. Two USB ports and mass storage support
8. I am liking the move to smaller form factor (despite the weird top panel)
9. Dedicated Netflix button is cool. I'm sure was the result of millions of dollars paid to guys in suits to negotiate what anyone else would consider a five minute decision, but cool nonetheless.
10. Plays FLAC (Over USB) and MKV. Something Sony wouldn't have dreamed of supporting a few years back. Good on them.
11. Gracenote support is excellent. Sony acts like this is new / unique to them (it's not) - but it's great.
12. Their "Super Wi-Fi" implementation does truly seem to work better.
13. Upscaled DVDs look great on it.
14. Netflix supports SuperHD on this. Looks great. Better than my AppleTV and Roku.

The jury is still out on:

1. 2D to 3D conversion. Not sure why you'd use this. Then again I think 3DTV in general is one of the biggest gimmicks dropped on the buying public since Microsoft Bob, so if you're a 3D fan, ignore what I'm saying.
2. 'TV SideView'. Sounds like another proprietary mobile device "enhancement" slash remote app. Perhaps it will alleviate my keyboard complaints. I'll give it a go and report back. We'll see.

All in all a great player. If you're in doubt, this IS the one to get. But it isn't the walk-on-water device some web reviews are making it out to be. Well worth the price even at $200. Just a few annoyances.
on January 10, 2014
First of all, I like Sony. They've been a great supplier of quality electronics for decades. With that said, I like my BDP-S590 better than this S5100, mostly because of the ease of setting up the 590 and the fact that the 590 has a flat top that things can be set on, unlike the pyramid top of the 5100. Both models come with a slew of built-in services (apps) and both do a good job of streaming and playing DVDs and Blu-Ray discs. I gave my 590 five stars when I bought it, but I'm only giving the 5100 four stars, and here's why:

I plugged the 590 in, connected it to my TV via HDMI, performed the easy set-up and updated the firmware. In less than 5 minutes I was watching DVDs, BD discs and viewing movies on Crackle and Netflix. Nothing to tweak - no muss, no fuss. Every service I went to use worked flawlessly and it even linked itself to both of my computers and allows me to stream music and videos from them when they're on. I was hooked for life.

When I went to purchase another 590, I found that it had been replaced by the 5100, and while the 590s that were still available were ridiculously high priced, the 5100 was very reasonable, so I took the plunge thinking it was the newer version of the same great machine I loved and would work the same. I was mistaken!

Don't get me wrong, it's still a fine device. It set-up almost as quickly and I was up and running in about the same five minutes, but at least half of the services (apps) wouldn't connect. You Tube, Amazon Video, Video Unlimited and many others worked flawlessly, but Netflix, Hulu Plus, Crackle, MLB and many others would consistently tell me that the unit wasn't connected to the network, even though I could immediately scroll up to VuDu and seamlessly stream content from that service! Clearly, it WAS connected. I went through every trouble-shooting step suggested on numerous sites - unplugged the unit for five minutes so it would reset itself, reset it to factory specs and started over, reset my router, tweeked my settings, did the manual IP address thing suggested on the Sony site - all to no avail. No matter what I did, all of the same services would give me the same error everytime I tried them, but the other services would always connect and work great. What the hell??!!

I went through three Sony people before I finally got one who understood what I had already been through and didn't want me to re-do ten times all the things I had already tried. She explained that the newest devices like the 5100 have built-in failsafe settings that make it harder to hack and pirate, but that also make it more difficult to set up as easily and seamlessly as their predecessors.

Here's how make those pesky services (apps) that don't seem to want to work, work: Every router should have a link for "DMZ Hosting". Not being a tech, and not knowing any router but mine, I can't tell you where to find your DMZ Hosting settings, but when you find it, you need to enable it and then specify the 5100 as the device and then apply and reboot the router. You'll need to know the IP address of the 5100 (you can find it by going to the player's set-up, system settings, system info screen and jot down the IP address you find there) and then you specify that IP address as the device you want to enable under DMZ Hosting on your router. Turn off the player before you reboot the router and once both items are back on, all the services that didn't work before should now work (except that I still haven't found out how to get it to recognize my computers and stream content from them like the 590 does)

I hope this helps anyone who comes here thinking, like I and many others did, that your 5100 is a lemon. It's not - you just need to do some extra tweaking that previous units didn't require. Too bad Sony doesn't do a better job supplying this kind of essential information either with the units or on their websites. But once I got it working properly, it's a nice unit. Hope you can get yours to work correctly too.
on May 2, 2013
I bought this to replace my Panny 210 and so far, it works well, with just a couple of complaints. Compared to the Panny 210, the unit is quieter and much quicker to load and play a BD. The UI is typical Sony and I like it, a lot. The wireless was easy to set up, and the firmware update was finished quickly.......... Make sure you turn the "BD Audio Mix" setting to OFF if you are connecting the player to an AV receiver that can decode DTS Master and Dolby HD signals, otherwise you won't get the best that Blu-ray has to offer.

Now, as for the issues. The Pandora app takes much longer than I expected between songs. On my Sammy 6420 TV, it is no more than 5 seconds between songs and on my Onkyo 709 it is no more then 3 seconds, but on the S5100 it takes at least 15 seconds or more between songs........Pretty annoying. However, the YouTube and Amazon Prime apps both work great with no stuttering or buffering and I'm only on a 2.5mbps connection.

The main issue: Today when I went to play Pandora it got stuck on the "Acquiring internet content 3/3" screen and would not load any smart apps. I turned it off/on and nothing, then I unplugged it for 5 minutes and plugged it back in, nothing, I rebooted my DSL ( even though the S5100 said that my connection was OK ), and still no joy. I read online that with some of its other players, Sony recommends to do a system reset to fix this, but I also read from users that a reset didn't do a thing, and they had to spend 20 minutes resetting up their player, so I didn't do it. I then got stubborn and tried to load Pandora again and let the machine idle on the "acquiring internet content" screen for 20+ minutes and it magically fixed itself. This would be a huge deal breaker if it becomes a trend. I will update with the results and adjust my rating when I get more time on the unit. If it happens again, it will be going back immediately, but if it was a one time fluke, then I will be more than happy to keep it.

Hopefully Sony gets enough complaints regarding the Pandora app and sends out a firmware update to fix it. If that happens, and today's app issue never happens again, then this would be the perfect 5 star player......Time will tell.

UPDATE 5/7/13: I read over on AVS Forum that it was recommended to disable the "Software Update Notification" setting (set to ON by default) to prevent the "acquiring internet content" freeze that I experienced. I did so the day I wrote this review and I have not had another issue since. The downside is I have to manually check for updates my self, but I personally prefer that as it's no different on how I handle Microsoft Updates for my computers. One check per month should be more than enough, but since it's so easy, you can do it at the end of every session as it takes under 15 seconds to complete.

I could no longer take the Pandora & Slacker delays between songs, so I ditched them, and now just use my Samsung's Pandora app instead. If you have other smart machines in your home theater, then they probably have Pandora & Slacker on at least one of them, but if you're going to have to rely on the 5100's Pandora & Slacker apps, then be prepared to be frustrated.

I raise my rating to 4 stars because of the simple fix for my main issue, and it only falls short of 5 stars because of the lazy apps. If Sony fixes them, then it's a 5 star machine......Overall, a very good player that (knock on wood) will live happily in my system for years to come.

UPDATE 6/4/13 Today's firmware update completely fixed the Pandora app. Now there is only a 4 second delay between songs. I raised my rating to 5 stars.

UPDATE 6/28/13 It's been 3 weeks since the firmware update that fixed Pandora and I'm happy to report that this is the only Pandora app that I use now. 3-5 seconds in between songs is awesome. Also, I re-enabled the "Software Update Notification" and I have not had the issue I mentioned above regarding the unit freezing on the "Acquiring internet content 3/3" screen, and I use it daily.............Typical Sony, find a problem, fix it........... I can't recommend this unit enough.

UPDATE 9/1/13 We have been using the Amazon Instant app more than we ever have, and I am happy to report no issues. We are now on U-verse 6Mbps and that speed is fast enough to receive DD 5.1 when it's offered, also no stutters or freezes either and the video is above average for a streaming HD feed. The firmware updates have lessened as of late so it looks like Sony is happy with its current performance..........I know I am.

UPDATE 5/20/14 It's been 13 months with many, many hours of use both as a Blu-ray player, as well as a streaming media player and I am happy to report there have been no major issues. Sure, there has been the occasional issue once or twice that turning it off/on resolves, but knock on wood, I have not had to do any type of soft/hard reset like unplugging or hitting the reset button in the settings. I would say that it gets used for 70% BD movies and 30% streaming as I now have a Roku3 that I rely on for streaming duties. I see no reason to pay more for the 2014 Sony when this model can be found for so much cheaper............... 5 stars easy.
2121 comments| 459 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 15, 2013
And by little, I mean it. I was kind of surprised when I opened the box and saw how tiny this thing was. But it packs a large punch. So first off, as a 3D BD player it's fine. I have this connected via HDMI to my Denon receiver and that passes HDMI to my Vizio LCD tv. Turning on the S5100 immediately switches the Denon to the BD input and starts passing the signal through to the TV. The TV detects the 3D signal and immediately switches into that mode. SD DVD's play perfectly fine as well, so do audio CDs. Then we have the online services. I have this connected via CAT 5E to a Gigabit switch that also serves the Denon receiver and the Vizio TV. We've used a few of the movie streaming services a handful of times and were satisfied. We also have a Plex Media Server running on a Network HD (and recently have experimented with serviio). The Sony connects fine to these devices, but we have some trouble with it correctly identifying some video formats on Plex whereas it correctly identifies the same files when served from the Serviio. Not sure where the problem is as the whole DNLA world gets pretty complicated. But everything else in the app library seems to work well.

There's only 1 issue we've experienced so far and I haven't knocked off any points yet because I'm not sure if it's still an issue or not. But the LCD readout was dropping the lower right segment of all of the characters. In other words if the current play time on a disc was 1:19 the bottom of both ones would be missing and the segment connecting the upper portion of the nine to the bottom of it would be missing as well. The last time I used the unit this wasn't happening. So I need to really pay attention and see if it continues to be a problem or not. I'll update this review when I'm completely certain one way or another.
on March 7, 2014
This is the fourth and final Blu Ray I ordered. The Panasonic had a defect, twice, so I gave up. The Samsung had touchpad control, which meant I couldn't use it with my universal remote (you need KEYS for that, not a touchpad remote control). My LG was a piece of garbage, like ALL of my LG products have been (won't order their stuff again). Then, at $200 less than the others, I figured, "What they heck, Sony makes good stuff". Boy, do they ever.

At under $100, I am in awe. The set up was super easy. Just plug it in, and use the HOME button to get to the settings. Go to NETWORK UPDATE, and follow the instructions. It will ask you for the network you want to latch on to, then the password/phrase, and that's it, you're on your wifi network. Now, that MAY sound like no big deal. But believe me, getting home electronics to latch onto your wifi network is possibly them most DIFFICULT task any home theater owner faces. But it literally took me under two minutes start to finish. And it has not dropped the wifi once since purchase. It latches and stays there.

Last night, I watched a streaming video from Amazon (kind of expensive) by going to NETWORK, scrolling to Amazon, then choosing them movie I wanted. It asked me for my five digit passcode which I had entered when I registered with Amazon Streaming video my first go around when setting up the DVD. Amazingly, I can stream movies through my Blu Ray player, not my $4000 TV or $1000 tuner. My el-cheapo Blu Ray does the heavy lifting. No more plugging my laptop in through the HDMI port and streaming through the laptop to the tuner to the TV. That introduced picture degradation as the laptop's video output was suboptimal. The video output on the DVD player is very crisp and alive.

This unit weighs about one lb. In fact, it's about as heavy as my TV remote. It's AMAZINGLY small and light. I thought the box was empty when I picked it up. I was shocked to see it in there when I opened the box. Not that weight matters, but being so light, I thought it would stink. Not the case.

The remote is very intuitive, and translate to my Universal Remote very well.

Overall, I'm blown away by this $80 player. And if it breaks? Sony has a great reputation. After a year, I'll toss it if needed it's so inexpensive (I don't use cheap to describe this unit).

If others have had problems, I think maybe they haven't read the manual entirely, or are doing something wrong. Of course you're bound to get a bad unit now and again, but mine works better than expected, and now I can watch DVD's rather than shipping stuff back and waiting for the next one to arrive and put through the paces.

This one is a keeper. Get one for yourself. And oh yes, 3D plays beautifully as well. Almost forgot to mention that.
on August 3, 2013
I did quite a bit of research on this before I tried it. I bought a new vizio 3D tv and wanted something to make it totally versatile. This laser disc player is just the machine for that. To put it through its paces I used an old movie that I had burned on a 40 cent DVD. The 2-D/3-D converter option took the homemade disc and let me watch it in 3-D. That's right... simulated maybe, but obviously 3-D. It will turn your entire library of movies into a 3-D library. The novelty of this feature alone is almost worth the price of the machine. I haven't tried it with a blu-ray disc yet. Maybe I'll rent one somewhere just out of curiosity. As I said before, so far... so good. I read the other reviews that said it doesn't work well with Vizio TV's. I didn't have those problems at all. Sometimes people get a bad disc, or a bad dvd player, or a bad TV and then generalize the problem to an entire group of machines. Those criticisms aren't always meaningful to someone whose stuff works.
on April 30, 2014
I have 3 of these vs. cable boxes. While Sony has a good range of streaming services and the box is fast enough for all streaming video including Netflix, vudu and AIV using TWC std speed modem, IT HAS A COUPLE THINGS THT ARE REALLY ANNOYING,

1. Forced SW updates whether you want or need them or not. And player will not do ANYTHING at all until you do the update so forces it, takes 10 min and no warning. (4 updates this year already)

2. One in four times when you start a blu ray movie you get jerky, out of sync video badly. Stop, turn off player and turn on and it goes away but annoying. (All 3 boxes do it so bad design flaw!)

3. Bought new models after 1yr with old ones after multiple forced sw updates then left all boxes only able to run at 480p where before last SW update they'd all run 1080 just fine. No way to roll back update either so bought new models and back to 1080p.

I will never buy Sony again as their quality has dropped horribly the last year or two. Shame as I have 3 Sony Bravia TV's Incluing a high end 55" TV I love plus 3 Sony surround systems and now 6 blu ray players counting the 3 I had to throw away after last years bad sw updates.

I hope LG or Sharp are better now as every Samsung device I ever had died in 1-2yrs max (5+ TV/blu ry /DVD/ stereo) which is why I went to all Sony 4 years ago.
on September 3, 2016
This is the worst home entertainment device I've ever owned. I had it for about 1.5 years. The user interface was terrible. The remote control was terrible. When playing videos on Hulu if I used the forward or reverse keys the player would enter an endless loop of repeating the same 1 minute of video endlessly (it would skip back about a minute every minute). This also happened if I "resumed" playing. I own 5 other hardware devices in my home that also play Hulu and none of them have this issue. Basically this was a piece of junk. I accidentally hit the rewind remote button while watching a movie in bed tonight and thus lost the ability to finish watching the movie in bed because it would not infinitely play the same 1 minute over and over. I finally got so annoyed with this junk player that I did something I have never, ever done before - I smashed it to pieces with a hammer and after the last year plus of solid frustration from this device it was a very rewarding feeling.

After owning this I will never buy another Sony entertainment device. They may have built good equipment years ago, but clearly they suck at building good quality devices now.