Amazon Vehicles Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis GNO National Bike Month on Amazon Ellen

Showing 1-10 of 398 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 617 reviews
on May 12, 2010
I spent numerous hours reviewing Blu-ray players before deciding on the Sony BDP-S570. Some of my primary requirements were:

- Netflix capable
- Wi-Fi capable
- Additional online content
- Economical

I know my requirements are not that stringent, but the player is just for the family. I wanted to be able to do Full HD 1080p and the family/kids wanted to be able to watch Netflix. I wanted/needed Wi-Fi because I did not want to run a network cable.

After reading hours of reviews I decided on the Sony BDP-S570 because it met all of my requirements, as well as, is prepared to be a 3D player with a firmware upgrade. I watched Amazon for about a month and finally it went on sale for $224. I brought it immediately.

I had my new Blu-Ray player up and running immediately. I connected the Blu-Ray to my network and immediately updated the firmware. I registered with Netflix and was watching movies instantly. I have not had any issues whatsoever with Netflix. This is a great box if this is one of your major requirements. I also registered with Pandora and Slacker and have very much enjoyed the online music. My family has also enjoyed watching YouTube as well.

After a month I am extremely happy with my purchase and highly recommend this Blu-Ray player.
on April 27, 2010
A week or so ago I replaced my Sony BDP-S300 Blu Ray Disk player with a new model, the BDP-S570. The S570 is one of Sony's newest players, and in the middle of their consumer line as far as model lineup. It was amazingly low priced at $249.

I decided to upgrade from the S300 for two main reasons. First, the load times on the S300 are excruciatingly slow, and second it cannot bitstream the newest audio codecs so I was forced to use its on-board decoder and analog output. With my new Emotiva prepro I wanted to reduce cable complexity and use HDMI only.

I started doing some research into the newest crop of BRD players and was convinced I would probably get the Oppo 83. But a few reviews on CNET and elsewhere said the S570 had "the fastest load times ever tested" and they ranked it as faster than and 83. It also has some of the new whiz-bang stuff like wifi, SACD compatibility, Netflix and Amazon streaming, Profile 2.0, 1Gb internal memory, HDMI 1.4 and 3D capability. So I looked up the Sony and found it was half the price of the Oppo, and decided to go for it. I figured that for $250 if I hated it I could send it back or pawn it off onto someone else.

Impressions of the Sony S570:
If you are an equipment snob like me and want your gear to feel substantial, like a quality device, this machine is NOT for you. I thought the box was empty when it arrived. The machine feels like it weights a few ounces (actually it weighs 2Kg or about 4 1/2 pounds.) Upon opening it, I was even more disappointed. this thing is super cheap feeling - you know how some plastic feels "good" and other plastic feels "cheap" and flimsy? This feels cheap. The buttons on the front are almost repulsive little Chiclets about the size of the buttons on my cell phone and remind me of some kind of toy made by Coleco. The disc tray feels like I will break it if I push it in. At least the remote is pretty nice so I won't have to touch the cheesy buttons. If just feels cheap. The power cord is molded into the chassis. The chassis is a non-standard size, which always drives me mad. It is almost a standard rack width at 17" wide, but it is only 8" deep, meaning it is too shallow for any other piece of gear to sit on top of it. I had to rig some rear "feet" for my DVR to sit it on top the Sony. Initial impressions were not good at all and I thought I had made a mistake buying this thing. At least once it is in the rack it doesn't look cheap. The all-black front is not as nice as the blue tinted plastic on the S300, but it looks like it belongs in a good equipment rack. Just don't touch it.

The connectors on the back feature a single HDMI jack, component and composite video, stereo analog audio (that goes with the composite video), Ethernet, digital coax and optical, and USB. There are no multichannel analog audio outputs if you need these, and I found it odd that it would offer legacy video outputs but force anyone using those to only use digital audio or HDMI for high-resolution audio. The USB connector is interesting as it allows the user to connect a memory stick (and the promise later a hard drive) for storing downloaded video. There is also a USB connector on the front and the machine can display a variety of digital image formats and play back a variety of digital audio formats directly from the USB connections, or via its networking capability. So while I probably won't use it as such, the machine has the ability to serve as a media hub. That's pretty nice.

I plugged it in and connected via HDMI to my pre-pro. The remote codes were in the Harmony database. I fired it up and went through the very logical and intuitive setup routine on-screen without having to refer to the owner's manual. I connected it to my network wirelessly (it has 801.n wireless built in) and had it check for a firmware update. There was one, so before I could try it I let it download and update which took about 15 minutes to complete. After it rebooted, I started exploring.

The user interface looks exactly like the PS3. This is not surprising since this box is pretty much the PS3 without the gaming capability or any on-board hard drive. It was intuitive and easy to navigate. I went to the setup screens and went through all the settings to see if I needed to adjust anything. Then I popped in a Blu Ray disc (Up.)

Wow. I was shocked. Where the old S300 would give me several "loading" screens and I could almost walk the half mile to the nearest Starbucks, get a latte and walk back before a disc was ready to play, this thing flashed the screen a couple of times and boom, it was ready to go. It was literally the fastest load I'd ever seen, faster than the CD player in my car can load a CD. Very impressive. The picture quality was also outstanding, as I expected. The sound, however, was not right.

"Up" has a dts-HD soundtrack, and the Emotiva processor told me the Sony was sending it multi-channel PCM. Hmm. I went back into the setup screens and it said dts was set to output as dts, but there did not seem to be any settings associated with the HD codecs. Hmm again. So I stopped the disc and thumbed through the owners manual. No mention of anything special I need to do. Time to hit up Google. Nothing obvious came up. Back to the owner's manual and I notice in the troubleshooting section a problem called "Dolby True HD and dts HD bitstream does not work." Aha. It seems one must set a user setting called "BD Audio Mix Output" to "OFF" and then the high def codecs will bitstream. Oh really? So I did this, and boom the Emotiva told me the sound track was dts-HD. There is no where other than this troubleshooting guide that mentions this, and the setup information says the "BD Audio Mix" function has something to do with the secondary audio tracks.

So, if any of you purchase this box or it's siblings, be sure to set this function to "OFF" if you have a pre-pro that decodes the new codecs.

After enjoying "Up" I tried the Netflix streaming function and cued up "The King of California." It came up on the screen surprisingly quickly, and the video quality was not HD but acceptable for casual viewing. It did seem to have to re-buffer too often, but perhaps adding a nice big 32G memory stick to the rear USB port will help this.

Next I tried playing back an SACD (Madman Across The Water.) The S570 outputs SACD as either Multi-PCM or Multi-channel DSD. I had set it to DSD, but the Emotiva will not accept a DSD input. The Sony detected this via the HDMI handshake and output the music as multi-channel PCM. It sounded pretty darn good.

Bottom line, my bias against cheap-feeling gear was wrong and I love this box. I didn't think I'd ever use the Profile 2.0 BD-Live features or something like Netflix streaming but I was wrong, I had a good time checking it out. I still think I'll never use the 3D features but who knows. I am happy I bought this and feel it is one of the best bargain buys I have ever made for my HT.

If however it really is as cheap as it feels and it breaks down after a few months, I'll be sure to let everyone here know.
55 comments| 131 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 8, 2010
I read many customer reviews about this BD-Player before I spent the cash to get one myself. I have a habit of taking some reviews with a grain of salt and there's always a few that will have a bad experience. So far my experience has been great with this player. I'm not a video/audio guru, but I know what I like to see and I know what I like to hear. I have not been disappointed with the Sony BDP-S570 Blu-ray Disc Player. The first two Blu-Rays that went into my player were "2012" and "Avatar." They were both tremendous quality experiences.

(As a footnote you should also know that my HDTV is also a Sony. It's a Sony Bravia KDL46EX500. Awesome features for the price I paid.)

I had one small drawback, a nuisance, but one worth mentioning for those making this player a consideration. When I started using my new player my home was hooked up with Wireless-G (2.4-GHz). I did have a few problems with streaming my Netflix, but only far and few between. It was like watching a video catching up on the internet. A few weeks later I decided to upgrade my system to Wireless-N (5-GHz) for the internet. This is something I did for my laptop, not for my BD player. After installing my new Netgear RangeMax Dual Band Wireless-N Gigabit Router (WNDR3700), I now found out I had the option in the Blu-Ray player to use Wireless-N! I had no idea before the new system was installed that the BD player was able to use Wireless-N. What a bonus! I set the Sony BD player to use the 5GHz network and no more stalls for streaming the video. None whatsoever! It is faster in all responses to using my Netflix.

Now please don't take this as all inclusive... that all players will have problems with Wireless-G 2.4GHz, because I'm not sure that's the case. I live in the "sticks" so to speak. I've had more than a few problems with my internet connections before (mostly squirrels) and this could have added to my experience. I just wanted to let you know that after putting in the Wireless-N 5GHz this unit works better than before. I'm definitely all Thumbs Up about my experience with this BD-player.

The only thing I can add is to reiterate what others have said about the features and quality of this fine player. It's great and worth every penny I paid for it! Can't wait for the online 3D upgrade to see how that's going to look...
on January 5, 2011
I bought this BD player willing to pay a few extra dollars for all the great new features available today. I usually use a home theater PC in the living room but since I moved from my house into an apartment I dont have my home theater setup anymore. With DNLA, online streaming, and so many other features I really had high hopes for this player to be a great, compact replacement for my previous setup. What a total disappointment! The first biggest disappointment is not being able to play .avi files. This was such a surprise to me considering the Playstation 3 plays .avi files. Even still I figured I'd just play them over my DNLA connection. Wrong! Trying to use DNLA was a nightmare. Files didn't look good, and a lot of times the player would just not be able to see my PC I was using as my DNLA server. At one point, after checking all my server settings for the millionth time, I figured an update must have removed this feature for some reason so I gave up, but then it was suddenly back again a few days later. Such a pain.

Being a netflix subscriber I was looking forward to this feature as well. Again disappointment. It looks so terrible and plays so badly. Plus you need to pick everything from your pc then go out to the tv and find what you just licked in your instant que. Kind of awkward.

Finally being sick of not really being able to use this player as intended I put it in the bedroom where I don't really need a BD player, and purchased the LG BD-590. What a whole different world. I knew the Sony wasn't really great, but after getting the the BD-590 I finally realized just how bad the Sony really is. The LG player turned out to be exactly what I had always hoped the Sony would be and really felt ripped off by Sony. How can such a huge company with so many resources at its disposal put out such an inferior product? I truly wish I had never purchased this player and had just purchased the LG BD-590 to begin with.
on August 26, 2010
I really don't know what a fair star rating should be for this. Should I base it on the difficulty I had in loading firmware or just on the general performance once things are all set up and installed?

My rating leans towards the way the player works after setup, but I can't give it a full five stars. The following comments focus on the networking difficulties and the customer support I received.

BUT SEE UPDATE3, below (23 December 2010).

THE PROBLEM:
Other reviewers have mentioned networking difficulties and I need to add that my experience shows that Sony has a problem here, at least in the ability to do firmware updates over the Internet. That simply DID NOT WORK for me. It failed at either the "4/9" or the "5/9" stage -- repeatedly. That means it got about half way through before failing, so I obviously have a working Internet connection. My router is pretty mainstream, D-Link DIR-655 Extreme N Gigabit Wireless Router, and has not given me problems with any other device, wired or wireless. For this player I am using a wired connection and NOT using wireless. Most of the other reviews mentioning networking problems state that the difficulty is with wireless, but I think it is more fundamental than that. SONY HAS A PROBLEM HERE!

SONY'S TELEPHONE SUPPORT:
The support rep did not seem to understand the above and insisted on taking me through a diagnostic path checking to see if I had an Internet connection (IP address, etc.). Eventually he gave up on me telling me that the problem was either my router's or my ISP's and he couldn't help me. He didn't tell me the firmware could be updated from disk until I asked about alternative upgrade methods. Even then, he offered to send me a disk (two weeks wait) without telling me the firmware could be downloaded from a Sony web site and burned to CD for installation. MY INTERACTION WITH SONY TELEPHONE SUPPORT WAS A COMPLETE WASTE OF TIME!

THE SOLUTION:
I downloaded the firmware from Sony's web site, burned it to a CD and installed from there. That went well. Note that there was a minor complication in that my original firmware was so old it did not support upgrade to the latest. The upgrade had to be done in two steps. This is explained reasonably well on Sony's web site and went OK. I noticed that the second update (to the latest firmware) advertised that it "Improves router connectivity". So perhaps my NEXT firmware update will work over the Internet. Since I am now at the latest firmware level, I can't check that out. When I finally do get the disk from Sony, I wonder if it will have BOTH the firmware versions I needed or just the latest. I wouldn't bet either way on it!

UPDATE1: Sony gets bonus points for sending the update quickly -- three days, but loses them and more for not sending both required updates!

UPDATE2: A new firmware level became available, but the online update still failed. It did get further along in the process though. It failed at step 7 of 9 instead of step 5. A CD update worked.

UPDATE3: Another firmware version just became available. The online update worked fine so I presume the previous update solved whatever problem was blocking this in earlier firmware. Or perhaps things are somewhat intermittent and I got lucky. Something has improved though, since, as noted above, the update initially failed with quite a few repeated retries and this latest update worked first time.

MORE ON SONY'S TELEPHONE SUPPORT:
The support rep should have known (or admitted) there was an acknowledged problem with connectivity and that there was a fix available from Sony. He should have offered a disk-based upgrade and mentioned the download possibility shortly after we got into discussing this. Even if that doesn't eventually solve the problem, there is no point in further debugging until that fix is applied.

OK, rant over!

TIP 1:
Remember, if you have a similar problem, go for the disk-based upgrade right away. It is very simple to do. If you don't feel comfortable burning a CD, the support web pages do tell you how to order disks from SONY.

TIP 2:
The firmware comes from the web page as a zip file. Do not burn that to the CD but instead unzip it and burn the resulting individual files. This is NOT explained in Sony's instructions -- or maybe I missed it.

TIP 3:
The support page makes you choose an operating system before you download but the entire process has nothing to do with the operating system you use to do the download. If the instructions held you by the hand through the process of doing the download and burning the CD maybe there would be some operating system differences to note, but they don't do that. Basically they say "download" and "burn" with no details -- not even telling you to unzip the file.

TIP 4:
This tip is completely unrelated to any of the above. The manual tells you the codes that can be entered into the remote for controlling different brands of TV (page 36) but I could NOT find any instructions saying HOW to enter the codes. Well, I figured it out. The very first thing I tried worked! What you do is PRESS AND HOLD the TV power button (the smaller green button) and type in the two digit code while holding the button down. This worked for my Panasonic TV.
on May 25, 2010
Just opened up my Sony BDP-S570(Samsung LN46A650 46-Inch 1080p 120 Hz LCD)about an hour ago...25 May 2010. Startup was very straight-forward to the point.First thing was download a firmware update...no problems with update.Went through Ethernet rather than wi-fi because of problems taking the wireless route (with other players) firmware updates...not the place to have a problems! Will probably stay with Ethernet cable until Netflix has a fix for content download....they have been saying (since I can remember)to use ethernet-cable for best picture.Netflix has always said wi-fi was a try at your own risk deal.Back to the player.I am very pleased with the easy to fallow set-up menu. It is a little cluttered but it's no worse than my kitchen (LOL).Their is also a 1-2-3 installation guide for those who would rather not do a custom install. Either way you go, by the book or OTJT it's pretty straight forward.So just as expected...after extensive research and past HD-DVD & Blu-Ray experience. I will be adding more information too this thread as player and I get to know each other better.At this early point & time product is as advertised and would recommend...could be one of Sony's better offerings.Hope so....back to my new toy!

28 May 2010 Just revised my previous review but in a slightly more positive way. The picture quality is excellent as is sound. More adjustments than have time to go into right now. Even after 6 plus hours of tweaking and playing favorite blu-ray discs still have plenty more to check out and relay some truthful unbiased iformation to this forum.

"IMPORTANT UPDATE!9 June 2010: Downloaded Firmware Upgrade (version M04.R.588) "New DNLA & 3D Firmware"...no problems with download via ethernet connection.New blu-ray discs e.g. Avatar,Shutter Island loaded very fast...picture and sound above average IMO. According to "Sony eSupport" upgrading firmware to version M04.R.588 provides the following benefits: [...]

Improvements over firmware version M04.R.491:

*Adds support for 3D content
*Adds support for DLNA content
*Improves router connectivity
Benefits provided by previous upgrades and included in version M04.R.588:

*Improves compatibility to enhance interactivity with some BD-ROMs.
*Resolves an issue where video streamed over the Internet may be displayed at SD (Standard Definition) instead of HD (High Definition) even when using a high speed Internet connection (10 Mbps or more) and watching video that is provided in HD.
*Enhanced Gracenote Entertainment database browser features:
Adds new features such Related Information Browse and Contents Search to improve your Blu-ray Disc(tm) movie database.
*Enhanced photo slideshow:
Adds new visual effects and music to add to your photos when they are displayed on a TV.
*Improved Compatibility:
Adds compatibility with DTS Neo:6 to convert the audio into 5.1 or 6.1 channel format.
Will update review after having more time too check out new apps.So far all is good.

"IMPORTANT UPDATE!9 July 2010: Download of New Firmware (Version MO4.R.624) is available [...] Benefits and Improvement too come...

Update:07 June 2011: A year has passed and I have had no significant problems with this player. It operates as advertised and after several more timely updates, firmware with additional entertainment apps all is well. No problems playing a single one of my 140 plus blu-ray and many more standard dvd discs. In my opinion I think Sony was ahead of the curve with this player and would purchase again. Most of what Sony did whith this player will more than likely be included with most middle to high end Digital HD Televisions in the future...many televisions already have several of these features included. Take care all...

Change is Inevitable
Growth is Optional
on June 16, 2010
I had been looking for a Blu ray DVD player for some time. It seemed that when I decided to get Blu ray, everyone raised their prices putting Blu ray out of my budget. Over Memorial Day week end the price was reduced $ 30.00 to $ 218.00 ( No tax or shipping ). I purchased this machine through Amazon but it was executed through One Call. The delivery was incredible, Fed Ex showed up at my door far ahead of when promised.
One of the main purposes for getting this machine or one like it was the built in WiFi. I had no experience with WiFi but wanted it to link up with another computer in the house but mainly to stream Netflix. Set up was a dream. Yes, I did have to go to my computer twice, once to register with Sony Style and once to activate Netflix streaming. Both of these were very easy to do. Setup was a breeze ( remember this is from a non-technical person ). First I updated my Firmware on the Blu ray player. When hooked up to WiFi & internet; this means selecting upgrade, and it does the rest. Wow, that was tough. Then I put in my test Blu ray disc that I purchased ( Avatar ), the video and audio were incredible ( great ).
Next I wanted to try streaming video from Netflix, so I went to my computer again, selected a movie I wanted to watch on Netflix, added it to my instant play list, went back to Blu ray player, selected Netflix and the movie I wanted and it played. Netflix streaming video is not nearly as clear as a Blu ray disc but still excellent, maybe 720p. What was disappointing was Netflix sound, basic shallow stereo. I spoke with Netflix and they told me they were working on Dolby sound and it should be up and running by the end of the year. Meanwhile, this machine plays all my DVD's , including the ones that I have made. I should note that the player loads quite fast as that seems to be a complaint with a number of Blu ray players.
One negative for me that I noticed, the player does not have a repeat feature. Sometimes, when I am watching a DVD I want to see a scene over a number of times in a row, such as a song. You have to rewind for lack of a better word. What else can I say, it's a Sony and Sony puts out a quality product.
on April 8, 2010
My Panasonic DMP-BD10AK cannot play the Start Trek Original Series season 2 Blu-ray. Panasonic also has no plans for a firmware update to correct this. Since I will no longer be buying Panasonic products due to this continuing problem with their hardware (which also couldn't play Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring - Extended Edition for years after the player was released, until a firmware update finally was released in 2008), I had to find a replacement.

I read some reviews of this brand new Sony BDP-S570 player, and took the plunge. Thank goodness I did, because this player is FAST! No more turning on my Panasonic piece-of-junk and then going to the fridge, bathroom, etc. before the disc would even eject! No more waiting four minutes for Blu-ray discs with heavy BD Java content to load. And now I've got wired or wireless Internet access for BD-Live content, Netflix, YouTube, free Sony content, etc. that is just fantastic.

My only gripe is that the player doesn't seem to consistently remember where I left off on a disc. For example, I was in the middle of (finally) watching one of the Start Trek TOS episodes when my wife reminded me we had dinner plans. So I turned off everything and went to dinner. Three hours later, I came home, turned on the system, and the player DID NOT pick up from where I left off. Rather, it started the entire disc up again from the logos, trailers, non-skippable worthless FBI warnings, etc.

And yet, just the other day, I turned off the South Park season 13 disc mid-way through an episode, and when I came back and turned everything on, it picked up right where I left off. The user manual (joke!) doesn't address this, and I can't find any additional documentation online.

If this feature is made consistent and controllable with a future firmware update, this player will be five instead of four stars.
on February 13, 2013
My family and I have been extremely happy with this Blu-ray player! We tried a few other brands of DVD and Blu-Ray players but none have performed as well as the Sony systems. This one in particular has been very easy to operate and fast to load discs. The firmware updates have been painless and improved the performance even more. I haven’t used any of the third party applications (Netflix, Hulu+, etc.) but it is nice to know there are supported with this unit should I choose to sign up with them. I would buy this again if I ever had the need.
on January 2, 2011
In the past month, I have purchased both a Samsung C65000 and a Sony S570, so I thought it might be useful to comment on both. Others have commented on the picture quality and I will agree that they are both great blu-ray players, and yes, the Sony loads a bit faster.

Actually, both purchases were motivated by the built in wifi that each player has (for me, the blu ray was a bonus). I found both players equally easy to set up using WPA2-PSK. The Sony was easier but only because of the experience I had gained with the Samsung. I was completely happy with the Samsung, until I got a Mitsubishi 3D TV for Christmas. So I gave the Sammy to my fiance and got the 3D Sony for myself.

One thing I dislike about the Sony is that, in the internet mode, it brings up an extensive list of available services (about 20). I am only interested in about 3 of them (especially Netflix) so I wish I could get rid of the others (maybe to be restored later). If there is a way of doing this, I haven't found it. Something I also like about the Sony is that, when it connects to Netflix, it gives me an indication of the download speed. I always get 0:04 (equivalent, I assume, to 4 "bars") through my 3 mbps DSL connection, and I almost never get a "buffering" indication when streaming a movie (same as on the Samsung).

Something I don't like about the Sony is that its 3D output does not include the checkerboard format. If it did, I would not need to use a converter or emitter, to create the checkerboard format that my Mitsubishi 65638 (DLP) requires. (Only Panasonic DVD players provide checkerboard output).

Something I really liked about the Samsung (that the Sony lacks) is a better pause mode for Netflix streaming. In pause the Sammy shows a series of still frames, about 10 seconds apart. The Sony has no such visual reference. When the Sony "back" button is pressed, it only shows how many seconds elapse from the former position to the new position. In oher words, it is only a guess as to where the video is going to restart and, because it moves so quickly (a 1 second press of the button results in about a one minute movement within the movie), I generally over run the desired position, often by more than a minute. Those who stream movies know how irritating this can be.

But, all in all, I would give both players a solid 4.5 stars.