- Free 60-Day Tech Support: This item is eligible for FREE Tech Support for 60 days from the date of delivery. Over the phone, our trained technicians can help you set up, configure, connect, and troubleshoot so you can start enjoying your new purchase. Owners of qualifying products can reach Tech Support by selecting your product on the Contact Us page. Learn more
Sony BDV-E780W Blu-Ray Disc Player Home Entertainment System (Black) (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Want professional installation of this product?
- Book the service directly on Amazon
- Receive confirmation within 1 business day
- Pay only when the job is done
- Backed by Amazon's Happiness Guarantee
- Sony Internet TV: Get instant access to must-have entertainment, including thousands of hit movies, TV shows, music choices, online videos and games.
- Plus get new apps delivered to you automatically, so your selection is never outdated and you are always connected to the best entertainment
- 1000 Watts for powerful sound: Hear everything with incredible impact. The system delivers 1000 Watts total power (165 Watts x 5 + 175 Watts)
- 3D Blu-ray Disc Full HD 1080p playback: Enjoy 3D Blu-ray Disc movies in Full HD 1080p.
- Multi-room Music with PartyStreaming: Wirelessly stream music throughout the home to compatible Sony Network speakers
Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed
Special Offers and Product Promotions
From the Manufacturer
Complete your home theater and indulge in a premium entertainment experience. Featuring 5.1-channel surround sound and wireless streaming capabilities, this 3D Blu-ray Disc theater system brings your movies to life.
Watch Full HD 1080p Blu-ray Disc movies and immerse yourself in powerful 5.1-channel HD surround sound with the integrated BDV-E780W 3D Blu-ray Disc home theater system. Wirelessly stream movies, TV episodes, music and live sports events from Netflix, YouTube, HuluPlus, Pandora and more. You can also use the included dock to play your favorite music, videos and photos from your iPod or iPhone5. Download the free "Media Remote" app and turn your iPhone, iPad or compatible Android phone into a versatile remote control with search functionality. In addition to 1000 watts (167 Wx5 +165 W) of premium audio, this surround sound system features wireless rear speakers, two HDMI inputs, and a universal remote control.
Surround Yourself with Sound
Get blown away by the sounds of your favorite movies and music. With 1000 watts total power and 5.1-channel HD surround sound speakers uniquely designed to provide a wider listening radius, this system packs a powerful sonic punch that everyone in the room will feel. Your music and movies have never sounded better.
3D in Full HD 1080p
Enjoy the dazzling and dynamic clarity of 3D Blu-ray Disc movies in Full HD 1080p--and make the most of the 3D experience when you add a Sony BRAVIA 3D HDTV. You can also play standard Blu-ray Disc movies in brilliant high definition, plus DVDs and CDs for a complete entertainment experience.
Premium 2-Way Speakers for Wider Surround Sound
Enjoy amazing sound quality over a big area, thanks to uniquely designed speakers that provide a wider "sweet spot" than previous Sony Blu-ray systems. Even when you're watching with the whole family everyone will enjoy great sound. Plus, wireless rear speakers let you enjoy 5.1 channel sound without running wires across the room to the rear speakers.
Easy Access Entertainment
With the convenience of integrated Wi-Fi, you can easily connect to your home's existing wireless broadband network to access BRAVIA Internet Video and stream a wide variety of online movies, videos, TV shows and music from over 30 internet sources, including Qriocity, Netflix, YouTube, HuluPlus, Pandora and many more. Plus, with full DLNA client compatibility, you can wirelessly connect to your PC to stream music, videos and photos to your Blu-ray Disc home theater system.
Dual HDMI Inputs with 3D Pass-Through
Combining the quality of pure digital-to-digital signal transfer with the simplicity of a single connection for audio, video and control, two HDMI inputs with 3D pass-thru allow you to connect compatible players, gaming systems, satellite TV receivers and other devices to enjoy 3D Blu-ray Disc movies, video games, TV programs and other 3D content--all with a single cord (HDMI cable sold separately).
Mobile Device Remote Control
Transform your iPhone, iPad or compatible Android phone into a versatile remote when you download the free Media Remote app. Enjoy basic remote functions, a full QWERTY keyboard--plus search for information about the movies you're watching. You can access Wikipedia or YouTube, and even share updates with your friends via Twitter.
Universal Remote Control Included
Control connected products with one remote. A simple, intuitive on-screen set-up quickly guides you through programming the remote.
Stream Audio from Room to Room
Do more than play your favorite movies. Outfitted with Party Streaming technology, you can add Sony HomeShare network speakers (sold separately), then stream music from a CD, your personal music library or even the internet to virtually any area of your home. It's the perfect feature for parties or moving room to room.
#1 Home Audio Brand based on units sold and dollars for the 12 months ending March 2011 in Total Home Audio, The NPD Group/Retail Tracking Service.
#1 Home Video Brand based on units sold for 2010 according to The NPD Group/Retail Tracking Service.
- Output Power: 1000 Watts
- Amplifier: 24-bit S-master
- Remote Control: Included
- iPod Dock: Included
- Networking: Ethernet; WiFi integrated
- DLNA Certified Client: Yes
- Audio Decoding: DSD, DTS, DTS-ES, DTS-HD, Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby Prologic, Dolby TrueHD, LPCM
- Tuner: AM/FM with Auto Scan
- Tuner Presets: 20 (FM)
- Inputs: HDMI x 2; IR x 1; Optical x 1; Analog PIN x 1; USB x 2; Auto Calibration Mic x 1; Coaxial x 1
- Outputs: HDMI x 1; Composite x 1; Component x 1
- Power Consumption: 170W; 0.3W in Standby
- Surround Speaker Dimensions: 3.7 x 9.6 x 3.7 in
- Surround Speaker Weight: 1.3 lbs
- Center Speaker Dimensions: 12.4 x 2.3 x 2.0 in
- Center Speaker Weight: 0.8 lbs
- Front Speaker Dimensions: 4.1 x 12.7 x 4.2 in
- Front Speaker Weight: 1.7 lbs
- Subwoofer Dimensions: 16.3 x 13.3 x 8.4 in
- Subwoofer Weight: 17.1 lbs
Top Customer Reviews
Appearance-wise, the system looks very nice. The main unit is a nice glossy black with sensory buttons. The onscreen display in minimal and looks nice. Most of the detailed options are displayed on your tv screen.
Initial set-up was easy enough with color coded cables and a walk through upon turning on the system. There is even a self calibrating microphone, which helps the speakers calibrate to meet your needs based upon where you typically sit to watch movies. The manual is quite long, however, so I imagine advanced customizing of the system to your preferences can be a little more complicated.
The wireless surround sound is a great addition. You should know that it is not truly "wireless" in that there are wires that run from the rear speakers to an amplifier. That amplifier can sit anywhere behind your couch and connects wirelessly with the main unit. In other words, it is only wireless in that you do not need to run wires from the front to the back of the room.
This is a great purchase and one I am sure we will enjoy for many years.
Things I love about it:
- Very easy to set up. Everything connected the obvious way, so I had it set up in 15 minutes, without bothering to read the manual.
- The included sound check (with microphone) is great - it made it painless to get levels adjusted. All it takes is connecting the microphone, picking the menu item, and listening while it makes each speaker hiss in turn for a few minutes. Much easier than using a manual meter, playing a test CD/DVD, and crawling around configuration menus.
- UI is well designed, easy to use, and looks good.
- The DVD player is physically quite nice looking.
- The apps (Netflix, Hulu, etc.) work well, and cover all of the major services that I use.
- And it sounds great.
- And it works fine with my LG TV, including 3D.
Things I don't love about it:
- The firmware update crashes if you update before using the Blu Ray player to actually play a Blu Ray disk. Note that when you turn the unit on, it prompts you to update the firmware. And best of all, when it crashes it does so on a screen telling you that it's downloading the update and warning you never to turn off the power while updating. Of course, the only way to recover is to ignore the warning and unplug the player, then ignore the prompt to update and play a Blu Ray disk, _then_ update the firmware. Then it's fine. But having Sony screw up something so fundamental, so completely, doesn't give me any confidence in the rest of their engineering. And the fact that they have had this problem for a long time without fixing it, or even putting a warning sticker on the unit, tells me that they would rather sell you something that you can't use than risk losing a sale by warning you, or spending the money to fix it. But once you get the firmware updated, the unit is fine.
- The remote sucks. It has too many buttons, and is symmetrical with tiny labels, so I'm constantly hitting the wrong button. I've got to get a replacement remote.
- The DLNA media player is very picky about media formats, so (for example) it won't play MKV files that I've ripped DVDs onto. My LG Blu Ray player (which was otherwise pretty boring) played a much wider range of media formats. So now I've got to get a better media server, to accommodate Sony's limitations. Or get a media streamer.
- There's no list of apps in the manual, on Sony's site, etc. And you get whatever Sony gives you. On this front, I like the Roku much better - it has tons of apps, I can configure it to get what I want, etc. So despite being slightly redundant, I use the Roku plugged into the Sony.
This system seemed to have the best reviews and actually had the wireless rear speaker device included, unlike some other systems that trick you into buying and then you find you have to fork out another $100 for the wireless transmitter !
Set up was easy and immediately it recognized the wireless speakers without any issue at all.
I was familiar with the interface as my old BluRay player uses basically the same. Netflix and all the app's work great. I have a wired Ethernet system throughout my house so cannot comment on streaming speeds via a wireless connection.
My only negative would be that the speakers are SO light, that they are easily knocked over by my kitty kats and when cleaning. Also because they don't feel substantial, one thinks they would sound crappy, but actually I have no complaints about sound at all. Not a crackle from the wireless speakers, you'd think they were hard wired.
It has 2 HDMI inputs, if you want more you could always attach an HDMI hub.
For the money, I don't think you can go wrong.
Nice to see Sony producing quality gear again !!
12/26/2011 : Well I am eating my words from this earlier review. Over the past few days this unit has developed a mind of it's own ! While you are sitting watching the TV through an HDMI input, it will randomly switch from the HDMI 1 input to the HDMI 2 ....or the disc tray will open occasionally, for no apparent reason. I replaced all the HDMI cables, the same thing happens.
Thankfully Amazon (as usual) are being great and have a replacement already en-route. Let's hope it has a longer life than this one....stay tuned for updates and again a BIG thank you to Amazon.
1/12/2012 : Received replacement and this one does not switch between HDMI inputs on it's own, BUT it goes through phases of the Disc tray opening and closing continually for no reason, when you're not even watching a DVD/BluRay. I have read this is a known issue. Plus the volume will turn itself down or up to the max, again, all on it's own. Whatever happened to Sony meaning quality and reliability ?
I am going to try one more replacement as there is nothing really similar out there with the same features. Of course it's back ordered until February (maybe because Sony are fixing the issues). I will update you in a few weeks.
1/17/2-12 : Well I think this is a lesson for everyone and should be in the description of the unit on Amazon in BIG bold letters, credit to jbhop, another purchaser, who posted that he had the same issue, caused by interference coming from his Plasma TV and to move the unit at least 3 feet away from the TV. Sure enough, so far, so good and I sincerely thank jbhop for his help.
This only seems to be an problem with Plasma, so if you have LCD/LED you should be fine.