- Free 60-Day Tech Support: This item is eligible for FREE Tech Support for 60 days from the date of delivery. Over the phone, our trained technicians can help you set up, configure, connect, and troubleshoot so you can start enjoying your new purchase. Owners of qualifying products can reach Tech Support by selecting your product on the Contact Us page. Learn more
Sony BDV-HZ970W Blu-ray Home Theater System (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.
- 1000 watt 5.1 channel surround sound (167W x 5 + 165W)6
- Wi-Fi enabled & 3D Blu-ray Disc playback7
- BRAVIA Internet Video: Instantly stream movies, music, videos & more5
- Wireless rear speakers minimize wire clutter
- HDMIRepeater with 3D pass-thru for simplified HD audio and video signal transfer8
- Enjoy full HD 1080p and powerful 5.1-channel HD surround sound
- Wi-Fi enabled and 3D Blu-ray Disc playback
Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed
Special Offers and Product Promotions
From the Manufacturer
Watch movies in Full HD 1080p resolution with this 3D Blu-ray Disc home theater system, which features 5.1-channel surround sound and wireless rear speakers. Wirelessly stream movies, TV shows, videos and music from Netflix, YouTube, Pandora, Slacker and more. You can also access music, videos and photos from a USB drive or using your PC and home network. Dual HDMI inputs and a universal remote control make connecting and controlling your other HD components a breeze.
HDMI Repeater with 3D Pass-Through
Connect multiple devices via HDMI to your surround sound system and easily switch between them with one-button on the universal remote control, simplifying you connection. Connect everything to your HDTV with just one HDMI cable.
3D Blu-ray Disc Full HD 1080p Playback
Enjoy 3D Blu-ray Disc movies in Full HD 1080p. Also supports standard Blu-ray Disc movies in high definition and upscales DVDs to near HD quality.
Adjustable height floor standing speaker matches the location of TV for best sound performance and design appeal. Enjoy 5.1 channel surround sound without needing to run wires across the room to the rear speakers.
BRAVIA Internet Video
Instantly stream a wide variety of movies, TV episodes, videos and music from a large selection of entertainment apps including: Netflix, YouTube, Pandora, Slacker--the list goes on and on. Easily search select BRAVIA Internet Video partners for entertainment or information related to the disc that you are enjoying.
Connect to your home wireless broadband network with the included USB Wi-Fi adapter. Stream music, videos and photos from compatible DLNA devices (like select PCs) using your home network.
Share your videos or photos on the big screen or listen to your favorite music. Simply connect your digital camera, USB-enabled MP3 player, or USB storage device to play a wide variety of file formats.
Control all connected products with one remote. A simple and intuitive on-screen set-up quickly guides you through programming the remote.
Top Customer Reviews
- Nice system out of the box. Clean appearance, ample connections for most home theater setups (remember, you no longer need an HDMI for the bluray player as it is built in).
- Extremely simple to setup. Probably the most "plug-and-play" system I've ever seen...right down to the speaker connections.
- Rear channel wireless speakers. Okay, I know... they encode/decode and sound quality is lost, they have a limited range, they still have wires (from rear receiver to speakers)... but still.... worth it. I live in a ranch house and have used these at both ends of the house (about 55ft from the receiver) and the sound is still pretty good. I like these speakers mostly because we entertain a great deal. This provides us the flexibility to connect an ipod and listen in both the living room and kitchen. Then on movie night, they return to the living room. Just an added bonus to a system like this.
- Proprietary speaker connections, so forget about swapping out Sony speakers with a better...say...center channel speaker. What you get in the box is the one you have to use.
- Small sound...relatively. Let's face it; while bigger is not always better...in the speaker world is does make a difference. I am no audiophile, but this system will leave you wanting if you are looking for uniform lows across the whole field. All bass originates in the subwoofer and the other speakers sound a bit under-powered, covering only the highs and high-mid range of the spectrum.Read more ›
Sound is very solid, esp from those tiny speakers.
I've tried 10+ HD audio blu-ray movies and they sounded just great.
Its 3D video OUT is good enough not to affect my samsung 7000 series 3D plasma performance.
The 2 things I would complain about:
1. It's really slow. load disc, or go to menu, etc... just slow.
2. The digital audio cable input, has a weird requirement of only being used when video is coming from the TV channel. So what about other devices?? I've got around the problem by tricking the receiver -- having another device sending the video to the TV, and then the digital output directly to this receiver's digital audio input. and then use the TV input channel.
One thing that surprised me with the Sony system was the base box did not have a plug. I couldn't believe the base didn't require it's own power. Over all the sound is good, but as good as I remember my Pioneer in it's hey day.
The good points:
*Easiest stereo system to hookup. The wires are color coded for each component and the directions do a great job on how to set up the system.
*It works seamlessly with my Sony Bravia TV. The TV remote controls everything, sound, Blu-ray player, and TV without needing to do anything.
*Works great with the Apple TV version 2. It comes with the Sony brand internet option for Netflix, but I prefer to use Apple TV. Instead of buying the Sony cradle for iphone/iPod Touch just buy the $99 Apple TV and use Airplay. It works great.
Addition Info added 5DEC2010:Bought S-CN5000 and SS-F7000 to replace center and left/right front speakers and boy what a difference it makes.
*Sound is easy to calibrate with included Mic.
*Design, I really like how the components look like the obelisk in 2001: A Space Odyssey. The Blu-ray player looks sharp, it is easy to read alerts when needed otherwise not intrusive. Very Zen form factor.
*Blu-ray player does a nice job up-scaling DVDs.
*Two HDMI inputs, since my TV has 6 HDMI inputs the two on the system are just gravy.Read more ›
This requirement narrowed the search considerably. I also wanted HDMI repeater inputs. Again this narrowed the available options. After weeks of researching, searching, and comparing I settled on the Sony BDV-H970W. I ordered through Amazon at about $200 lower than I could buy in the store, and also avoided the sales taxes. Fast free shipping made it even better.
Set up was a breeze! Very simple with color coded wires for all the speakers. Rear amplifier and speakers set up just as easily. No complicated syncing was necessary. Just plugged in and turned on, the rear wireless worked flawlessly from start.
Blu-ray performance is incredible. Sound is superb. Nice deep bass, good clear audio, plenty of volumn. Action movies will rattle your walls!
The remote control that came with the system is an added bonus! It operates my TV and my DirecTV DVR, so I can operate my entire system with one remote. Easy to program.
Just a couple of things I wish were different: To change inputs you have to scroll through all the inputs to get to the one you want. I wish it were possible to at least program out the inputs not being used. Also, I wish the display was larger on the system. Hard to read when across the room.
I am very happy with the performance of this system and highly recommend it. The feature that had me most worried about living up to the claims was the wireless rear amp. Turns out there was no worry, and this feature may be the best part of the whole system!
Most Recent Customer Reviews
The First one I had to send in for repair 2 times because the problem intermittent. the 2nd time it went out all the way. They did send me a whole new unit. Read morePublished on January 16, 2014 by Jerry N. Layne
I'm using this HT for the last 2 years now and i'm very satisfied with the product.
pros: good sound, reliable, HDMI input/output, blu-ray support etc, descent price(for your... Read more
Absolutely love these speakers! They make our tv sound so much better and the blue ray player is just an added bonus!Published on March 7, 2013 by Douglas V Edmisten
I still don't know how to get my tv sound out of unit. Sound while playing a dvd was fantastic.Published on November 19, 2012 by Wallie D. Wilson
The head unit is a bit slow - could use more processing power. And my PS3 is a better BluRay player at the end of day.Published on July 23, 2012 by C. Bireley
I bought this to replace an LG FD-790 vintage 2007 which died. I wanted Blu-Ray so bought this instead of fixing the LG. Read morePublished on July 19, 2012 by HYTRIN5