- Free 60-Day Tech Support: This item is eligible for FREE Tech Support for 60 days from the date of delivery. Over the phone, our trained technicians can help you set up, configure, connect, and troubleshoot so you can start enjoying your new purchase. Owners of qualifying products can reach Tech Support by selecting your product on the Contact Us page. Learn more
Sony BDVN790W Blu-ray Home Theater System (2013 Model)
- 1000W, 5.1 channel, Wi-Fi, 3D1 Blu-ray disc home theater system
- Premium 2-way front speakers, wireless rear speakers
- Dual-HDMI Inputs; 1-HDMI output
There is a newer model of this item:
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Special offers and product promotions
Sony BDV-N790W 5.1 3D Home Theater System - 1000 W RMS - Blu-ray Disc Player - Black BDVN790W Home Theater Systems
From the Manufacturer
Dynamic, vibrant sound needs its freedom. With that in mind, this sleek,
fully integrated Blu-ray Disc Home Theater system features wireless
rear surround sound speakers. The convenience of fewer wires allows for
expanded placement options, and dual HDMI inputs make set up easier
and more flexible than ever.
|For the Love of Sound.||Full HD Even in 3D.||The Power of Built-In Wi-Fi®.|
Revel in a home theater system that provides vibrant 5.1 channel, 1000 Watts (167W x 5 + 165W) HD surround sound, and Full HD 1080p8 Blu-ray Disc movies. Coupled with the reduced clutter of wireless rear surround sound speakers, you will get the authentic cinematic experience that will make your living room come to life.
The combination of 3D movies2 and Full 1080p HD video will make you feel like you’re in the middle of the action. You can even enjoy standard DVDs in near HD quality, and convert those movies into 3D to enjoy an exciting, immersive world right at home6.
Stream your favorite movies, music, photos and shows wirelessly with the ease of built-in Wi-Fi1. Now you can connect to the Internet and enjoy your favorite content without the hassles of network cables1.
Magnetic Fluid SpeakersWatch a concert and hear subtle nuances in the music. Sony’s innovative speaker technology reduces noise for a more powerful, natural sound.
Now StreamingWith the convenience of built-in Wi-Fi, it's easier than ever to instantly stream an astonishing array of online movies, videos, TV shows, and music from Sony Entertainment Network, Amazon Instant Video, Netflix, YouTube, HuluPlus, and more1. Watch exactly what you want, when you want.
Stunning 3D in Full 1080p HDEnjoy your favorite 2D and 3D Blu-ray movies2 in beautifully rich Full 1080p HD10. Upscale DVDs to near HD quality10 or use the 2D to 3D conversion6 feature to easily convert your DVDs and Blu-ray movies into exciting 3D entertainment adventures2.
Optimize with EaseAll rooms have unique acoustic properties – building materials, furniture layout and speaker placement options – to consider. With Sony’s Digital Cinema Auto Calibration technology, your sound is tailored to provide you with the optimum home theater
Rock the HouseDo more than play your favorite movies. Add Sony HomeShare™ wireless network speakers (sold separately) to stream music from a CD, your personal music library or even the internet to virtually any area of your home4. Move from room to room without skipping a beat - it's perfect for your next party.
Convenient Wireless Rear SpeakersSay goodbye to unsightly wires. With the absence of tangled wires between the main unit and the rear speakers, you will experience crystal-clear surround sound in a clutter-free viewing environment for a true cinematic experience.
The BDV-N790W Blu-ray Disc Home Theater System is equipped with the latest technology to bring you
incredible entertainment quality. Explore the full range of features and options below.
|Full HD Even in 3D |
Revel in a home theater system that provides Full HD 1080p8 Blu-ray Disc movies and vibrant 5.1 channel HD surround sound, and 1000 Watts (167W x5 + 165W) HD surround sound that will make your living
room come to life.
For the Love of Sound
Indulge in a 5.1 channel surround sound listening experience with 2-way front speakers that capture high, mid and low frequencies. A pair of wireless rear surround sound speakers completes the picture for a clutter-free
The Ease of Built-in Wi-Fi
Enjoy your favorite Internet content without the clutter of network cables. Built-In Wi-Fi makes connecting to the Internet more convenient
Life, Easily Shared
Bring your favorite videos, photos and music to the big screen with the easy-access USB input and iPod/iPhone dock9.
Everything You Look at Will Look Better
Watch Blu-ray 3D2 movies and standard Blu-ray Disc movies in Full HD 1080p or upscale standard DVDs to near HD quality10. You can even upconvert 2D to 3D2,6,10.
|Discover the Most Amazing Sound |
With Digital Cinema Auto Calibration DX, simply place the included stereo microphone where you’ll be seated and settings are automatically optimized based on the distance, delays and placement of your speakers.
IP Sound Enhancer
Hear improved sound quality while watching movies from the internet as the IP Sound Enhancer restores sound lost during compression.
Multi-room Music with Party
Streaming ModeWirelessly stream music throughout the home to Sony wireless network speakers (sold separately).
Remote Control by Tablet or Smartphone
The free Media Remote app provides a full QWERTY keyboard and movie information search capabilities on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Android phone or Sony Tablet11.
Sound You Can Feel
Dolby TrueHD and dts-HD modes reproduce high-definition sound with 5.1 channels of discrete audio for uncompromised quality.
|Socialize While You Watch TV |
Share what you’re watching on Facebook and Twitter with a Socialize message.
Learn More About Your Movies
Get detailed movie information and search across internet apps, including YouTube and Video Unlimited for related entertainment with Gracenote1.
The New Look of the Sony Entertainment Network
It’s now easier than ever to instantly stream a wide variety of online movies, videos, TV shows, and music from Amazon Instant Video, Netflix, YouTube, HuluPlus, Pandora, and more1.
Throw Your Music
Photos and music from your Sony Tablet or other compatible Android device can be “thrown” directly to your Blu-ray Disc player for enjoyment on your TV11.
1. Broadband speed of at least 2.5 Mbps recommended (10 Mbps for HD). Content subject to change and may require fees.
Wireless connectivity requires an 802.11 home network (802.11n recommended).
2. Requires 3D content, 3D HDTV, 3D glasses and HDMI cable (at least 10.2 Gbps).
3. Applications must be downloaded from the iTunes or Android application store. Check Android market from your device for
compatibility. Requires devices connected to the same wireless home network.
4. Requires Sony HomeShare compatible products and a home network.
5. Requires a home network with content stored on a DLNA compliant PC or server, and HomeShare network speaker, dock, or
Blu-ray Disc player or home theater system. See dlna.org for compatibility. [Note: Adjust disclaimer as necessary depending
on the device and context. Above is an example is shown.]
6. Simulated 3D image will vary based on source content.
7. Not all USB devices are supported. Please check Owner’s Manual for compatibility.
8. Requires compatible HDTV and HDMI cable sold separately.
9. iPod and iPhone support is limited to the following players: iPod touch, iPod classic, iPod nano 1st, 2nd & 3rd generation,
iPod 4th& 5th generation & iPod mini and iPhone 3G, 3Gs and 4G models.
10. Requires HDTV with equivalent display and HDMI cable sold sep.
11. Requires devices connected to the same wireless home network.
12. Requires HDMI cable sold sep.
13. Requires 802.11 home network and content stored on a DLNA compliant PC or server.
Top Customer Reviews
I use it to play music, watch Netflix, connects to my PS3/Xbox and TV with ease (as long as you have two HDMI cables), and to watch Blu-rays.
- Very easy to set up, especially with the color coding of the connectors from the speakers/subwoofer to the Blu-ray player and wireless receiver
- Wireless receiver does not require batteries, it just plugs into a power outlet
- It includes a iPod/iPhone dock to connect to the system (Haven't used this yet as I don't own a iPod or iPhone. I'm not a big fan of Apple products...)
- Very sleek and stylish looking. The Blu-ray unit itself has a touch-interface for buttons such as Play, Stop, Skip buttons, Volume buttons, etc. (EXCEPT for the Power button, which is an actual button you can press)
- It includes FM radio as well
- The remote control has a dedicated red "Netflix" button (So awesome)
- There's an app on the Google Play Store to control the system from your Android phone (VERY handy when I'm in another room)
- Sound is just great, especially with the ease of the initial set-up with the included microphone to adjust the volume settings of the speakers. When the set-up is done just right, there is the bass you want, but not to the excessive point where you can't even hear the lyrics of a song or know what's even playing. (This is not like a sound system you will hear from a Honda Civic from back in the days, if you get what I mean...)
- Has popularservices like Pandora, and Netflix
- The home interface seems outdated when compared to the UI of the PS3 (March 8th, 2013 at the time of this review)
- You can't have music playing in the background when you press the 'Return' or 'Home' button to navigate elsewhere in the system (The only exception to playing music in the background is when the screensaver kicks in)
- When I try to play music through an Android device (I have tried my Nexus 4, Motorola Xoom Wifi, and Galaxy Nexus, all had the same result) by connecting it via a audio cable (red and white connector with the opposite end containing the 3.5mm jack), the sound is horrible, even with the volumes on both device and system turned all the way up. The volume seems like it is less than half of what it should be at, and the quality of the sound is certainly downgraded compared to the sound quality of streaming music through Pandora or Sony's Music Unlimited program (NOTE: I have thought about buying a new audio cable to test if it's just the cable that isn't as good. Will update on this review when I try this out)
- Apps seem outdated when compared to other systems versions and UI layout (Examples are the Music Unlimited program, when compared to the PS3's version and desktop version. Another is the UI layout of Pandora, it also seems outdated.
- Does not come with an optical digital audio cable or audio cables to connect other devices (Similar to other systems out there)
- Doesn't have much of a app selection such as iHeartRadio (even though there's an actual FM radio option but for local stations only)
- Sony seems to neglect this system in updates to what it really needs to work on
- The change in volume does not display in a lot of the user interface on the TV screen when volume is changed, but shows on the Blu-ray player unit itself. The volume change DOES display however, when the input is changed to the HDMI inputs
- The sound sync button to sync the sound on the TV option is not accessible at all times of usage in the system
Overall, this system is a great system to have, considering its price, quality of sound, usability from different devices, ease of set-up, and stylish looks!
I'm no audiophile, but am extremely pleased with the sound this system puts out. The bass shakes my wood floors and even the couch when I turn it up, but doesn't intrude on things when I'm watching a movie. By default it is set to automatically decide the audio settings based on the source, and it seems to work very well so I haven't touched it. it's PLENTY loud, unless you have a giant house or plan on bothering the neighbors.
It has pretty much all the options i was looking for: Netflix, Amazon video, iPod connector, RJ-45 for network connectivity, and I could play my XBox through it using one of the HDMI connections. I wasn't able to figure out how to run my antenna through it (for TV, we have no cable or satellite) but I have't put much effort into it either. Switching from one source to the other is easy.
My gripes are few: The volume on the remote is way at the bottom, making for a hand-tiring exercise while holding on to the bottom of the remote and attempting to adjust the volume up and down during a movie. Put it in the middle where I can actually grip the thing comfortably, Sony! Second gripe, when you put a DVD in or take it out the slot is right by the super touch sensitive buttons on the unit, so your hand will hit these buttons sometimes if you're not very careful. Kind of an odd place to put it. Finally, this is less of a gripe and more of a 'need to know'. The rear speakers aren't truly wireless. They have wires that connect them to an amp, and the amp is what communicates wirelessly to the main unit. This didn't affect me too much, other than having an unexpected piece of hardware behind the couch. If you're wondering like I was, the amp is the box at the left of the picture here on Amazon.