- Free 60-Day Tech Support: This item is eligible for FREE Tech Support for 60 days from the date of delivery. Over the phone, our trained technicians can help you set up, configure, connect, and troubleshoot so you can start enjoying your new purchase. Owners of qualifying products can reach Tech Support by selecting your product on the Contact Us page. Learn more
Sony BRAVIA KDL55EX710 55-Inch 1080p 120 Hz LED HDTV, Black (2010 Model)
- Enter your model number to make sure this fits.
- Includes removable stand; measures 50.4 x 31.5 x 13.8 inches with stand
- Inputs: 4 HDMI, 2 component, 2 composite, 1 PC, 1 USB, 1 Ethernet, 1 optical digital audio output
- Motionflow 120Hz technology for smooth motion; BRAVIA Engine 3 fully digital video processor
- 55-inch Edge LED-backlit HDTV with Full HD 1080p resolution and slim design
- Wi-Fi ready (with optional dongle); access to BRAVIA Internet video and widgets; USB port for photos, music and video playback
There is a newer model of this item:
Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed
Special Offers and Product Promotions
- Brand Name: Sony
- Model Number: KDL55EX710
- Display Technology: LED-lit
- Display Size: 55 inches
- Image Aspect Ratio: 16:9
Features Ambient Sensor adjusts color based on room light USB port for photos, music & video playback Presence Sensor technology - Save energy with an HDTV that turns the picture off when you're not in the room, leaving only the audio on Energy Saving Switch eliminates standby powerSpecifications Aspect Ratio - 16 - 9 Display Resolution - Full HD 1080(1920x1080) Dynamic Contrast Ratio - Infinite Screen Size (measured diagonally) - 55 (55) Viewing Angle (Right/Left) - 178(89/89) Viewing Angle (Up/Down) - 178(89/89) Backlight Type - Edge LED Display Device - LCD Audio Power Output - 20W (10W x 2) Speakers (Total) - 2 TV System - M, Clear QAM, ATSC / NTSC Sensing Features - Ambient Sensor - Yes; Presence Sensor - Yes Inputs/Outputs - Analog Audio Input(s) (Total) - 4 (1 Side / 3 Rear) Audio Out - 1 (Rear) Component Video (Y/Pb/Pr) Input(s) - 2 (1 Rear / 1 Rear (Composite input common use)) Composite Video Input(s) - 2 ( 1 Rear (Component input common use)/ 1 Side) Digital Audio Output(s) - Optical Digital Output - 1 (Rear) Ethernet Connection(s) - 1 (Rear) HDMI Connection(s) (Total) - 4(2 Side/2 Rear) HDMI PC Input - Yes PC In (D-Sub) + Audio In (Stereo Mini) - 1 (Rear) RF Connection Input(s) - 1 (Rear) USB 2.0 - 1 (Side) VESA Hole Pitch - 400x300 M6 Dimensions (Approx.) - 50 3/8 x 31 1/2 x 13 7/8 (1278 x 797 x 350 mm) with pedestal; 50 3/8 x 30 1/8 x 2 7/8 (1278 x 765 x 73mm) without pedestal Weight (Approx.) - 57.5 lbs. (26.1kg) with pedestal; 49.1
Featuring an Edge LED backlight, the slim BRAVIA EX710 is engineered to deliver unbelievable blacks and brilliant whites. Edge LED-backlit HDTVs are also more as they consume less power than conventional LCD televisions and contain no mercury. You'll enjoy Full HD 1080p picture quality as well as smooth motion detail in fast-paced scenes thanks to the Motionflow 120Hz refresh rate technology. Additionally, the BRAVIA Engine 3 video processor produces superior, life-like image with amazing contrast and color.
Other features include 6 HD inputs (4 HDMI, 2 component), a USB port for photo, music, and video playback on the TV, an Ethernet port (for wired networking), and VESA compliant wall mounts.
See a comparison of all Sony HDTV models below.
Full HD 1080p Resolution: Experience Full HD 1080p picture quality, the highest at-home resolution, and take full advantage of HD sources like a Blu-ray Disc Player or PlayStation3 gaming console via the 16:9 wide screen panel (1920 x 1080).
Edge LED backlight: Enjoy a slim design plus amazing dynamic contrast with an Edge LED backlight.
Motionflow 120Hz Technology: Experience smooth motion detail and clarity with Motionflow 120Hz technology. Motionflow 120Hz technology doubles the frame rate from the standard 60 frames per second and applies Image Blur Reduction technology to deliver a crisp, fluid and realistic viewing experience during fast-action scenes.
Wi-Fi Adapter Ready: Enjoy the convenience of wireless connectivity for your home entertainment network and make accessing your online entertainment--including movies, photos, music, videos and more--even easier (Wi-Fi dongle required; sold separately).
BRAVIA Internet Video: Instantly stream a wide variety of movies, TV episodes, videos and music from a large selection of entertainment apps including: Netflix, YouTube, Slacker, and more. (Learn More)
BRAVIA Engine 3: Enjoy Sony's most advanced processing system for superior image detail, exceptionally vibrant, life-like images, reduced noise and optimized contrast and color with the BRAVIA Engine 3 fully digital processor.
Ambient Sensor: Get a natural looking picture whether you are watching movies late at night or playing video games during the day with an Ambient Sensor that automatically adjusts the picture color based on a room's lighting.
24p True Cinema: Movies consist of 24 images per second, and cannot be faithfully reproduced on conventional televisions, resulting in unnatural, jerky movements. But 24p True Cinema displays the 24 progressive images as they should be, in the same sequence as the original film source. Now, you can recreate the visual clarity of cinema-quality movies in the comfort of your own home.
USB Input: Share your photos on the big screen or listen to your favorite music. Simply connect your digital camera, USB-enabled MP3 player, or USB storage device directly to your HDTV's USB input.
Presence Sensor: Save energy with an HDTV that turns the picture off when you're not in the room, leaving only the audio on. After 30 minutes of no motion the audio is turned off and the TV automatically goes into stand-by mode.
Energy Saving Switch: Eliminate standby power consumption without having to unplug your TV. Simply turn the Energy Saving Switch to off position and the TV no longer draws energy from the power source.
- Screen size: 55 inches
- CineMotion Reverse 3:2 Pulldown Technology: Yes
- 24p True Cinema Technology: Yes
- 3D Comb Filter: Yes
- TV Guide On-Screen: Yes
- Deep Color: Yes
- Live Color Technology: Yes
- Auto Picture Setting w/ HDMI: a, Sport, Music, Photo, Graphics, Game
- Speakers: 2x 10W (20 watts of total power)
- 5.1 Channel Audio Out: Yes
- Dolby: Dolby Digital
- USB Application(s) : Photo Viewer (jpeg), Photo Viewer (RAW), Music Player (mp3), Video Player (AVCHD), Video Player (AVC), Video Player (MPEG4)
- Wireless LAN: Ready (requires dongle)
- Tuners: ATSC, NTSC, Clear QAM
- VESA wall mounting pattern: 400 x 300
- Warranty: 1 year labor and parts
- Energy Star compliant: Exceeds Energy Star version 4.0
- TV with stand: 50.4 x 31.5 x 13.8 inches (WxHxD); 57.5 pounds
- TV without stand: 50.4 x 30.8 x 2.8 inches (WxHxD); 49.1 pounds
- What size TV should you get?
- HDMI: 4 (2 side, 2 rear; HDMI PC input capability)
- Component: 2 (1 side, 1 rear)
- Composite A/V: 2 (1 side, 1 rear shared with component)
- Ethernet: 1
- RF: 1 (rear)
- USB 2.0: 1 (side)
- PC input (15-pin, D-Sub): 1 (side)
- Analog audio inputs: 4 (1 side, 3 rear)
- Digital audio output: 1 optical
What's in the Box
BRAVIA EX710 Series HDTV, remote control (with batteries), AC power cord, table top stand, operating instructions
Have your favorite internet content delivered to your TV screen with BRAVIA Internet Video. Stream movies, videos, music and more with BRAVIA Internet Video from a wide variety of sources and services, including:
|Amazon Video on Demand provides instant access to over 50,000 hit movies and TV shows directly on your Sony BRAVIA HDTV. Watch new release movies as soon as they're on DVD and TV shows the day after they air, with thousands of titles available in HD--all commercial free.|
|Netflix: Instantly watch thousands of TV episodes and movies streamed from Netflix right to your Sony BRAVIA HDTV--watch as much as you want, any time you want. (Netflix unlimited membership required for Netflix feature functionality.)|
|Crackle: The next-generation video entertainment network with hundreds of movies, TV shows, and original series from the vast Sony Pictures library.|
|Pandora Internet Radio: Free, personalized internet radio playing only music you love. Pandora brings an effortless personal soundtrack into your living room. Enter your favorite artists and enjoy stations created just for you. Rate songs as they play, because Pandora caters to your tastes and adapts stations to your feedback on the spot.|
| With standard-definition TVs, the rule used to be that viewers would feel comfortable watching a set from a distance of 3 to 6 times the screen size in inches. With HDTV, the resolution is so much better that you can sit closer to a larger TV without noticing the pixels. So with HDTVs, the rule tends to be you can sit anywhere from 1.5 to 3 times the screen size (in inches) for the best experience. |
If you know the size of the room you have already, where you want to sit, and where your new HDTV should go once you get it, you can figure out the size HDTV you should get.
Sony HDTV Comparison
|Models:||32"||22"||32", 40"||32", 40"|| 32", 40", |
| 32", 40", |
| 32", 40", |
| 40", 46", |
|40", 46"|| 46", 55", |
|Panel type||LCD (CCFL)||LCD (CCFL)||LCD (CCFL)||LCD (CCFL)||LCD (CCFL)||Edge LED||Edge LED|| Dynamic |
|Edge LED|| Dynamic |
|Full HD 1080p||--||--|
|Video processing||Engine 2||Engine 3||Engine 2||Engine 3||Engine 2||Engine 2||Engine 3||Engine 3||Engine 3||Engine 3|
|Wireless LAN||--|| Ready |
|Blu-ray Disc Player||--||--||--||--||--||--||--||--||--|
|Digital audio output||Optical||Optical||Optical||Optical||Optical||Optical||Optical||Optical||Optical||Optical|
|HDMI PC input|
|USB 2.0 port||1 (svc only)||1||1||1||1||1||1||1||1||1|
|MPEG 1/2 video playback||--||--||--||--||--||--||--|
|MPEG 4/AVCHD video playback||--||--||--||--|
|TV Guide onscreen||--||--||--||--|
Read about our customers' top-rated TVs on our reviews pages: TV Reviews, 4K TV Reviews, LED TV Reviews, Plasma TV Reviews, and Smart TV Reviews. Shop our popular TV brands: LG, Samsung, Sharp, Sony, and VIZIO.
Top Customer Reviews
I've owned both Sony and Samsung in the past and was satisfied in general with their performance and customer service so I felt comfortable with either TV from a reliability and customer service perspective.
In terms of image, watching the TV's side by side for well over 10 hours, I can say I could not distinguish between the two TV's. The shape of the Sony is a bit different (slightly taller and narrower) than the Samsung, giving you the impression that the Samsung is bigger, but it's not.
Both the Sony and Samsung TV's provide excellent color resolution and contrast, deep dark colors and vibrant lighter colors as well.
I did find the Samsung 6300 series tv image on "non-HD" tv programs to be slightly better than the Sony, but the difference was marginal.
As for sports, both have 120hz. and relatively fast refreshing rates, so sports viewing on either TV is excellent.
For ease of use and set up, I found the Sony 55" to be very good. Sony provides the user manual as an item on the TV menu instead of a written one, which may not be to everyone's liking. But then again, with it installed on the TV, you're never wondering "where the heck did I put that user manual!"
In the end, given the overall similarity in quality and performance between the Sony 55"EX710 and the Samsung 6300 series LED/LCD TV's, I boiled it down to price and that's where the Sony won out! I paid $1499 for the Sony while the best price I could find for the Samsung was $1750. I put the price savings towards a 5 year extended warranty for the Sony!
* All of the review websites "calibrate" their screens before performing a review. During calibration the screen's default settings are changed to supposedly make them more accurate. Nifty features that are built into the screen like "Mega Dynamic Contrast Ratio" are frequently disabled during calibration because they can affect the accuracy of the image. In my opinion, if a nifty feature in your television can make it appear brighter or more colorful, go for it. Color accuracy is overrated. What matters is whether *you* like the picture or not.
* Edge-lit screens like the Samsungs and Bravia I reviewed are thinner, lighter, and more eco-friendly than the full-array screens. In theory full-array screens give better contrast ratios, and require less picture manipulation to achieve said contrast ratios. To my untrained eyes, it's hard to see a difference.
* Dynamic edge-lit on the C6900 sounds like a good idea, but in my testing it created some weird affects that my wife, in particular, didn't care for where some parts of a dark image were pitch black and other parts of the same dark image were a brighter black, giving the appearance that someone turned on a spotlight down part of the screen.
* The blacks were darker on the C6400 than the C6900. Go figure.
* Edge-lit screens tend to hide the speakers on the back of the set.Read more ›
Some of the things that I found not that great:
* The factory setting for the screen size cuts about 3-5% of the picture from all sides on HDMI input including computer, XBOX, DVD, Dish HD Receiver. It took me some time to realize that I was missing some of the picture. You need to set "Screen" to "full pizel" to get complete HDMI picture. I am not sure why they would set the default to setting that would cut the picture.
* Netflix streaming is ok, I would rather connect computer directly. Because the in-built software only displays instant queue. You must add movie to instant queue using computre and I have also noticed a lag (sometimes hours) before the instant queue gets updated.
* USB port on the TV plays photos, music and home videos. However, tt recognizes FAT32 drives only. There is also limited support of the file format. It played AVCHD straight out of the camcorder, but did not play TS files that I created by combining the AVCHD clips. Nor did it play DV AVI Type 1 or Type 2 format files. It plays the photos and music very well, no issues there. It is also DLNA server so you can stream content from home computer.
Overall very happy with the picture and sound quality of the TV.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
had it for 4 years. Still working like a champ even after 4 moves. I recommend saving the original box. Good tvPublished 24 months ago by Aggs
You can't go wrong with this set.
Physical Appearance: very thin borders helps fit this large set on tv stand or shelf. Read more
Amazing quality. Beautiful picture, especially in hi-def. It shuts off automatically if it doesn't sense movement, so it forces some activity from time to time. Read morePublished on November 15, 2013 by Richard
This TV lasted less than three years for me until it went into permanent standby mode. Calling Sony was not helpful - they said the only possibility was to take it to a certified... Read morePublished on November 9, 2013 by Neel S Ketkar
I replaced a KDF-46E2000 with this TV last year using Sony's replacement program due the notorious defect with the 3LCD projection system. Read morePublished on May 18, 2012 by Jachin N. Rivers
I have been a faithful Sony customer for over 30 years and, up until the last few years, was convinced that they produced the finest electronics equipment on the planet. Read morePublished on March 26, 2012 by WillyBack@aol.com
Had this Sony Bravia KDLEX710 for more than a year now and never had a problem . Easy to set up and calibrate but I will be getting a wireless dongle to check out more stuff! Read morePublished on January 29, 2012 by Enrigue Torentino
We've had the TV for eight months now, and it's been fantastic. However, every time we have to deal with Sony it's a labyrinthine nightmare. Read morePublished on August 17, 2011 by William W.
Sony has always had a great reputation for their HDTV although you will have to pay a higher premium when compared to other brands. Read morePublished on June 21, 2011 by Jay K