Industrial Deals Luxury Beauty Killers of the Flower moon STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Book House Cleaning Catastrophe Catastrophe Catastrophe  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now

Showing 1-10 of 258 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 371 reviews
on November 5, 2010
I've had this camera for about a week now and have been loving it ever since. I've used another "flip" camcorder and the Bloggie Touch puts it to shame.

Pros:
1. Love the quick on and record. Great for spontaneous videos of the little one.
2. The touch screen interface makes it both useful and fun to use the big screen.
3. The still pictures come out brilliant, when the lighting and focus is good.
4. The battery charges up super fast and stays with you for a whole day of shooting.
5. The image stabilization is good. You can take decent video while walking around and panning too. Note that it is not optical, but electronic SteadyShot stabilization.
6. The lens is very good quality and the pictures are crisp.
7. Really like the "snap picture while recording" feature. I find myself using that feature the most. The video doesn't stall while the picture (full 12M resolution) is being taken and since the focus and exposure are usually locked well while you're in the middle of the video, the pictures come out great.

Cons:
1. In low lighting, there is quite a bit of graininess and using the digital zoom makes it much worse.
2. While the lens is good quality, the auto-focus mechanism is really very slow. If you move around the camera too much before focus has locked on, the auto-focus will almost never lock.
3. What I really miss with this camera is a flash. Even a tiny one would help with low light pictures.
4. Minor annoyance: to preview a picture right after you take it, you have to go through at least two clicks. Sony could have designed it so that it always goes to the last picture taken by default, instead of the thumbnail list of all pictures/video on the device.

I decided to purchase this camera over a still camera that can do video because:
1. This one is dead simple. One button to turn on, one to take video and one to take stills. This makes it both easy and quick to use.
2. This one can do 1080p video and 720p at 60fps.
3. Its under $200 and is smaller than your phone.
4. Its got internal flash and USB connector - no more SD cards or cables. 8GB is enough to get you through the day before you can come back to your laptop to dump the pictures.

I decided to purchase this camera over other ones in the same category because:
1. Its got a big display and the touch screen is fun to use.
2. Its got a better lens system than the others.
3. Its got (some) image stabilization.
review image
2323 comments| 618 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 9, 2010
I originally wrote a great review for this camera until I had it longer and realized the large flaws it has. Apparently there is a loud clicking noise that plagues some of the cameras including mine. Not only that when I went to update the firmware on Sony's website, I downloaded it to my camera and went to turn it on and the camera stopped working!! It wouldn't even turn on! I had to send the camera to Sony for 20 days to get it to come back on. When I get it back after missing weeks of my childs 1st year of life, it makes the clicking noise even louder and more frequent than before!! How great is it to be shooting the 1st steps of your child or their 1st words but all you hear is a loud clicking noise overtop of your video? I call Sony about this and they act like this is not an issue and aren't aware of anything like this, yet their "support" forum has peoples posts talking about this flaw. Google "bloggie clicking noise" and tell me this isn't an issue. Yet they will do nothing about it.

DO NOT BUY THIS CAMERA. It has a great design and function but unless you want a loud clicking over your videos forever, don't buy it. Plus Sony can't even own up to their flaws and will give you know way to fix it. Unbelievable
on April 8, 2011
While it boasts HD, this device is aimed at social media...swapping family pics, etc. The software is decidedly unsophisticated and made for sending cute videos of the kids frolicking with the dog and posting them to folder pre-named Mom and Dad (I'd have to do a bit of digging to get the videos to where they are) and other categories aimed at the Super Average Family with 2.3 children living in Anytown USA. The camera itself is fairly capable, but trying to use the video files in a sophisticated (or even simple) editing program is clumsy.

The auto-focus overrides everything. There are no manual settings...just idiot-proof settings guaranteeing mundane images.

We needed to have a number of small HD cameras and the automatic settings just made for lots of mediocre and useless images. As usual, Amazon took them back without complaint (love Amazon). We bought the Sanyo Xacti HD cameras. Amazon had a super sale on the pink ones (some guys online had a Freudian problem with the pink). The Sanyo Xactis produce excellent results for our needs and the videos are almost imperceptible from those shot with more professional equipment. Also, the memory is removable on the Sanyo.
on February 15, 2012
I originally got the Bloggie thru HSN and of all the camera's I have ever tried including the iPhone 5mp, this is the nicest for quality video. One issue I have with taking video is shaky results. Most image stabilization on camera's doesn't really work that great, this Bloggie works great. The best video I've ever taken. Extremely effect image stabilization. Excellent photos and video. And these camera's work GREAT with the iMac. Plugging in the camera to the iMac usb port or extension USB cable, iPhoto pops up with this camera, the Bloggie, as the devices attached. Then simply import your photos and video into iPhoto. So simple. Battery life is great. After a week my Bloggie still shows full charge. I returned the HSN purchase and bought the Bloggie from Amazon just to get the 8GB 4 hour version for near the same price as the lesser 4GB bloggie at HSN. Forget HSN, get the better version from Amazon for a few dollars more. Great image stabilization, long battery life, mac and iPhoto support. No need to install and further 3rd party software. Plus, the HD video is easily editable using the mac iMovie software. This camera was made for the iMac. And for people that tend to take shaky video, this is the best solution for smooth perfect video. (Video added created entirely using the Sony Bloggie and iMovie)
on February 23, 2013
I checked so many reviews and video samples before deciding to buy this camera and I got to say I'm quite satisfied even with a few drawbacks.... Let's face it there's not a whole lot of choices for this kind of video camera out there , there's about 3 or 4 others and every single one of them has something that will make you cringe... Sony Bloggie doesn't support memory card which means once the internal memory is full you have to erase some to shoot some more and the battery doesn't come off as well so make sure to charge it before use... When I used my bloggie on my vacation trip I had to bring my laptop with me so at the end of every day I would upload all the videos to my laptop then erase it on my bloggie for the next day and the battery usually will last you all day even after shooting for 4 hours worth of 1080P ...I never had a day where we completely used up 4 hours worth in a day so memory and battery wasn't much of an issue for me as long as I can empty the internal memory on a regular basis... The HD Video looks sharp and the stabilizer works well, the only problem with this camera is that when you start shooting vertically you cannot turn it to the side (wide angle shot) without stopping it first or else when you upload your video it will be tilted since it doesn't automatically rotate the video if you shoot it in one continous motion (same with the iphones)... and just like most other pocket vid cams this one doesn't shoot well in the dark as well... My suggestion to everyone before buying a pocket vid cam, instead of looking for the perfect cam, try to find the most that will fit your need because there is not a perfect pocket vid cam out there yet.
on May 6, 2013
A pro photographer friend recommended this device to me after extensively asking me about my uses as a podcaster. Since I needed a better camera than what's on my cell phone and has a better battery, I need stills and video capability. I worked using the stills mode over the weekend and the shutter speed is awful. From the time I push the button there is 2 seconds delay before the picture is actually snapped. There's no way to capture people without them looking elsewhere by that time or getting decent candids. Out of about 20 photos, 3 were too blurry to even post.

There was also almost no instructions whatsoever. I plugged the device into my pc hoping a digital set of instructions would come up but instead I got to an app for SONY that wants my credit card information for billing me for some account I don't want. The information makes it sound like it's so easy to share images and files but it isn't at all. I didn't want to give my credit card information even for a certain amount of "free" storage so I didn't get to test the uploading out. Just trying to make an album was awkward in that software and then changing a name on one of the built in contact lists didn't let me go much further; I changed the name of "My Best Friend" distribution list, then what? There was nothing to enter their email address, cell phone number for texting an image, nothing. It's a clumsy tool.

I also couldn't find any way to make the camera front-facing which would be especially useful for people looking to essentially have a better version of what cell phones offer these days.

I had bigger expectations for this overall. It's compact so I can use it easily but the features and ease of use are seriously lacking for a SONY product.
on February 16, 2011
Ok, First of all let me say I have seen a lot of small cameras under $200.00 that claim HD 1080p quality video and all of them do not do this resolution really good. If your buying a camera of this lower level range don't expect a great quality 1080p video unless your in bright sunlight and you hold the camera still or use a tripod, just not gonna happen.
If you want quality 1080p get a high end Panasonic or SONY.
This camera is wonderful in it's ergonomics and ease of use. You don't need a manual for anything, it even is equipped with it's own internal memory so you don't have to buy a SDHC card. Taking pictures is easy and the quality is excellent. Taking video is also as easy but you will have to hold the camera sideways to get the full 16:9 aspect ratio when you view it on the TV or download to the pc. I have seen people rip SONY for this feature but let me just say get over it. It's not that bad to hold the camera sideways and record video. If you didn't like that aspect of the camera then why did you buy it? I don't find it that terrible to use at all.
The menu system is a piece of cake to navigate through and has a good quality feel. I also have the Kodak playsport and i like the camera too but this camera quality wise seems a cut above. The size of the camera make it look like a phone, very cool I think. I have resigned myself to keeping resolution to 720p. I think it looks just as good anyway.
I would recommend this camera to friends definitely.

Update 03/2012
I am still using this camera and I think the HD quality is amazing in good lighting. I won't comment on low lighting but what camera is?
The image quality is excellent and i keep going back to this camera to use instead of a few other handhelds I have. The Kodak Zx3 is another on i have which i think is also good. The video quality i got on a golf vacation weekend was excellent.

Update 04/17/2012
Upgrading to 5 stars. The only complaint on this camera is a lazy autofocus but i upgraded to firmware 1.05 and it works better. i liked this camera so much i bought another one.
on January 2, 2012
I purchased this camera for my son, who makes and edits his own videos for YouTube. He wanted something very easy to use without too many settings. This was perfect for him.

It has three shooting definitions, which will determine the length of time you can shoot video:

720p (lower quality)- 4 hours
720p (higher quality)- 3 hours
1080p (highest quality)- 2 hours

You can also take 12.8 megapixel still photos using a camera setting or by pressing a button WHILE YOU ARE SHOOTING VIDEO!

There is also up to a 4x zoom that can be moved in and out while you are shooting. Plus it's HD and can easily be connected directly to a computer with the USB connecter that snaps out or by using a HDMI mini cable (not included).

Best yet - you don't need to purchase a memory card as this has 8GB of memory built right in!

Like most cameras, the video gets a little bit grainy when in full-zoom mode, but at all other times is excellent quality. The touch controls are self-explanatory and easy to use. The camera has a quick start and fits easily into a pocket or case. LOVE it and my son has had excellent success with it - either by carrying it around to shoot or by mounting it on a tripod.

I do, however, recommend a good quality screen protector as the touch screen, with a lot of use, may tend to get scratched.
on July 23, 2011
I spent a good deal of time reading over all reviews here, including members from the "VINE" program, before purchasing this product. As such I felt I was quite ready to purchase this item and already understood exactly what I was purchasing. When the product arrived, I tested it out and found that I was not surprised in the least by its performance. It was exactly what I was expecting.

The camera takes excellent quality shots, and very nice videos (note: at 720 x 60 video quality). The sound quality that it records with was actually better than I had expected, I have no complaints about that.

One noticeable problem that I was already aware of, is to try to be as still as possible taking the shots or they blur very easily - both pictures and video. It doesn't take much movement to ruin a picture, and videos do have to continuously "refocus" when moved (this is less noticeable at 720 x 60, more frames/faster refocus). The camera has a 1080p video feature, but I would not suggest using it - as I had already been warned to. The 1080 is at 30 frames, unless the camera is sitting on a tripod it'll be constantly refocusing when moved. Oh and; don't even think about taking pictures/video with this camera held vertically...it screws them up. Keep it horizontal.

Overall it's perfect for what it does. I'm not an expert photographer/etc, I just wanted a simple, reliable product that was easy and fast to use and supplied me with both photos and videos that were both of good quality. This does just that. If you are a professional photographer I would suggest to get something else; this will probably irritate you greatly.
on March 16, 2011
I just purchased a Sony Touch Bloggie MHS-TS20 camcorder.

The camcorder has a nice sleek look and the packaging is superb. It comes in a good quality felt lined box and looks better than the usual vacuum packed item.

I have not yet been able to truly evaluate the picture quality of this device although from what testing I have done it looks very adequate for the price.

I am rushing to do this review because I want to alert anyone considering the purchase of this camcorder to the fact that when you are out shooting beautiful things, you will be able to see the video you have captured, but you will not be able to hear the audio that you hope you have captured. Even with the playback volume turned all the way up, the sound playback is just slightly audible if you really strain to hear it. I contacted Sony and was told to transfer my video to my computer and then play it back. The sound should be normal.

Unfortunately I cannot do this because right now I am having computer problems and my computer sound is completely dead. I have ordered a mini HDMI adapter so that I may play my video through my HDTV. However, I will not receive that until next week sometime.

But, why do they have sound circuits and a volume control in the Bloggie if they will not function normally on play back? I sent Sony another email and this is part of what they said: "Please note that, the Camcorder records the sound at a standard level for consumer models, ensuring linearity. Therefore, the recorded sound is lower than non-consumer devices. As the noise level is also lower, there is no problem with signal-to-noise ratio of the sound. Please turn up the volume of both the Camcorder and the other device, to increase the sound during movie play back."

Gooble-dee-gook. A fancy way of saying, "So you won't know if your sound is any good until you GET HOME from your once-in-a-lifetime outing. Life is tough all over fella!" Had they said that it would have been better than not saying anything until after you buy the product.

The camcorder has quality and is certainly worth the price. Too bad Sony had to skimp on design. They could have at least included a headphone output which would have improved the audio tremendously. But lying by ommission, puts a very bad taste in the mouth of anyone who appreciates knowing all the facts BEFORE they buy a product.

This is a revision of my above review.

When played back through another device the sound is adequate except video and audio can play back all chopped up. However, if you play that video again it can show normally. The bottom line seems to be that you have play around with it to get good results. You will learn by doing. The complaints some reviewers had about this product were based on ignorance and lack of common sense plus the inability to have a little patience while learning to use it.

My contribution to ignorance was that I was completely unaware that I could not expect to play back sound in the field and felt that it might be a defect in the unit. But Sony should have seen to it that their advertising removed the chance of someone having that ignorance.

All in all, you could not get a better mini camcorder for the price.