Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 813 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 910 reviews
on August 1, 2012
Initially I ordered another CD Player that was somewhat smaller and lighter than the Sony. Unfortunately, that player was defective (not created during shipping) as it was unable to play the last track of any CD! Also, the other unit had volume issues. I returned that initial purchase and went with the Sony.....great choice too.

The Sony, while a bit larger and heavier, is still pretty compact. Best of all the sound quality (at least to my ear) is that of a much more expensive player! Really sounds top notch.

Finally, there is the various kind of media it can play from.

I have a vast collection of CDs, but my sons are always trying to interest me in using MP3 technology, and with my new Sony, I may just branch-out and explore these "new music frontiers".

Great buy!
0Comment| 96 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 14, 2015
I love my Sony! It's just the right size; portable; and functional with the CD and Cassette player. I had one of these when I lived in Europe. I'm sorry to see it's been discontinued and happy to have found this one on Amazon. I bought it at a discount on the Amazon Market Place. Still, I would have liked to have paid a little less! It's a Sony, though. I expect it to last for years.

The one con is I find is it difficult to set the "repeat" mode. I'd like to be able to set that. The instructions don't help, thus the 4 star rating.
review image
on March 1, 2012
I bought this for my mother. I have purchased probably 5 different minisystems in 15 years for my mother. It's not that she is abusive, or that conditions in her house are particularly harsh--it's that buying a SIMPLE radio-cd-cassette system in the past has either meant buying a super high-end boutique model or cheap junk. We have been through lots of cheap junk thus far. Nowadays, boutique systems (say $400+) do not include cassette. For folks like my mother, the options for getting radio-cd-cassette just thinned out considerably. Fortunately, Sony still builds a nice, simple, reliable product. There's nothing complicated about this thing. It just works. The sound is perfectly adequate for non-audiophiles. The tuner is good and spoken word comes out intelligibly (important for listeners of talk radio, NPR, etc.). Thank goodness there is one non-junk product in this class left. Otherwise, Mom is going to have to give up the occasional cassette.
on March 29, 2013
I bought this for my grandmother when her old cassette player finally quit working. The sound quality on this little unit is surprisingly good. She popped in one of her old cassettes, and I swear you'd think it was a CD playing. The bass isn't very powerful, but if you're just looking for a small radio/CD/cassette player for basic music, I'd definitely recommend this one.
on April 22, 2013
This radio was a gift to a friend of mine. All of the modes (AM FM CD TAPE) work flawlessly. The FM was especially notable as it pulled in 2 stations that his other radios couldn't without static. Function buttons seem easy to use, and sound quality is really good. Smaller than I expected, which is a big plus. Build quality is above average.

Highly Recommended.
44 comments| 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 26, 2013
Okay I purchased this player earlier this year and had to return it because the tape deck stop working 2 days after arrival. Thankfully I was able to receive a full refund with no problem. I then purchased a Memorex; it wasn't as nice but it was doable and it WORKED! The sound quality on this player is nice and that is why I was upset when I had to return it. But needless to say, I decided to give it a 2nd chance and chose this refurb. I've only played it a couple of hours but so far so good. Both cassette and CDs sound crisp and clear and all my fave stations come through clear. If anything falls apart or stop working I will update this review accordingly.
on August 24, 2012
I purchased this for my Mom to use with Talking Books.
Unfortunately, when paused or stopped it goes back to the beginning of the track.
It is dificult to find the right place to restart from without writing down the number that
it was paused with - too much to ask an 89 yr old to do.
The other aspects of the unit are very nice so I'm trying to decide if I should return it.
on July 6, 2013
This unit has only very rudimentary CD controls - playback can be moved only in large jumps, and there is no display to show where the playback is currently reading the CD, e.g., how much is left.

I also find the sound too boomy, Boombox indeed. I believe this unit badly needs a bass and treble control If it did, I'd turn the bass down and the treble up. Treble/bass controls are present on may lower cost units than this one.

The only reason I purchased this unit is it is about all there is in this "old" technology.. it also has a cassette player, these are even harder to find.

One recent audio book I checked out of the library was on Cassettes. I was able to play it with this unit, no other needs so far.
on November 17, 2012
After I retired my last boombox (when the tape player went bad on it), I did an exhaustive search on Amazon for a suitable replacement and came across this one. Based on the (mainly) positive reviews, I decided to purchase it.

The pros: It has a really nice sound to it. The buttons seem to be easy to use and the cassette/CD decks easy to load and unload. It has the CD-to-tape synchro-function. It also has an "Audio In" plug where you can plug in an MP3 player - or even another tape player! It doesn't appear to be a "tape-eater" (at least not yet!).

The cons (albeit minor): The CD displays just the minutes and seconds while the CD is playing. If you want to know what track you're on, you have to remember to press the "Memory" button - and then it only flashes for a few seconds before going back to the minutes and seconds display. You also cannot press a button to see how many minutes are left on a particular track (or CD), which would have been very helpful when trying to record onto a cassette! Also, it does not come with a remote (the remote-like object in the image is actually an MP3 device - which does not come with the boombox!). It also does not have a "sleep" function.

Still, it is a good little boombox which is suitable for most uses, and one I would recommend.
on January 18, 2013
See Updated Review Below~

and have only played one cd on it a couple of times. I do wish the volume control was a knob rather then a couple of buttons for louder and softer. I bought this because I can play not only my cd's but radio and my old tapes. I have a number of old time "Louie L'Amour" western stories I'm looking forward to listening to again. I haven't tried the radio or tape yet but assume they're okay. If not I'll revise this review.
---------------------------------------------------
~~UPDATE~~

July 27, 2013

i ordered this January 6th. After breaking my heel in February I wasn't able to use this for four months. I keep this in my art 'studio' and only play it while I'm painting. I know it wasn't played more then a half dozen times, about an hour each, and then refused to power up! I've checked the cord connections, pushed every button there is, un-plug and plugged back in and can NOT access power.

It's been too long since I purchased this to try to return it but you can bet the next radio/cd player I buy will NOT be a Sony. I thought this was a good, reliable brand!??

Would give it a minus 2 stars if I could..