Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Month Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Made for you. Learn more. GNO for Samsung S9 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home Gift Guide Mother's Day gifts across Amazon Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon howardsend howardsend howardsend  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now SWMTVT18_gno

on April 22, 2012
I have been using Sony Vegas for my home video editing for several years. I have used a couple of different version in the past, and upgraded to this version to support HD video editing from my newly acquired Panasonic TM900. My review may be biased by being already familiar with the previous versions of the product.

Here are my needs:
- Support regular DV videos from my previous camcorder
- Support HD video, 1080P, from the TM900
- Standard video editing capabilities
- Write to blu-ray format for the HD sources
- Write to standard DVD for the remaining DV tapes
- Create YT appropriate files for both the HD and DV videos
- No need for the 3D capability -- so this opinion does not related to those who need this feature

At this point, I have gone through all of these use cases listed above, and the s/w has delivered adequately for all my needs. For my use, I don't really do anything particularly fancy. Most of the editing and DVD production features that I need are fairly straightforward needs, and I haven't had any problems with this version. I find the video editing s/w very intuitive and easy to use. The DVD Architect feels a little more quirky, and certainly not the easiest to use. But I can produce what I want to produce with the DVD Architect.

My PC has a quad-core processor, and 4GB of memory. The s/w has been absolutely stable on this box -- no crashes. I do not know if the s/w actually makes use of the multiple cores during rendering -- since that is by far the longest lead time part of the process. Rendering the HD videos without having the camera attached is a mistake. I learned it the hard way the first time I tried it. Other than the rude shock of how long the HD rendering takes, I am very pleased with the s/w.

My only real beef with Vegas has the audio processing capabilities included in the package. There are multiple versions of similar effects included, and the documentation to help use the right set of filters is lacking. But if you are not picky about the audio, you probably would not care about this limitation.
33 comments| 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 23, 2011
I ordered this version of Sony Vegas after doing plenty of research and checking into the tutorials online that would be available to me. The videos I like to make focus more around music instead of plot-style movies so I felt this editor was the best choice. I have a regular HP desktop running Windows Vista (32-bit)and the only small issue I had was upgrading to SP2 to start the installation. (I needed to do that anyways.) It didn't take long to install and after registering online I was up and running in no time.

This software gets complicated but I've had it for about 3 days and I've made some impressive stuff. The experience from Windows Movie Maker helped me alot and I also am familiar with audio workstations such as Pro Tools and Cubase so kinda the same vibe to this but with video instead of audio.

There are plenty of tutorials and 3rd party enhancements to help you out with this so its as easy as visiting youtube and taking the time to learn the techniques. I gave this software 5 stars because I got everything I ever wanted in a video editor and the price is great. Goodbye Windows Movie Maker...

If your looking to make plot style movies... then the Adobe Premier software would be worth taking a look at, but Sony Vegas is solid.
on March 18, 2013
I have been using it for the past year and it is only now that I have decided to review it. I had to learn the ins-and-outs of this product to give it the proper review I think it should get. Of the bat, I just like to tell everyone that I am not a professional. This is just one of the hobbies I've been involved with to keep me busy or to get me to slow down and calm myself. I find that it works both ways with me. I really enjoy putting video together and telling a story. All of this is for my private enjoyment or to show-off to my friends and family. Since I've been using it, I've discovered a lot of hidden tricks or tools that I wouldn't have known existed not unless I experimented with it. I do have the time to do it. NO DEADLINES to meet. For my needs, this software has it all. I would recommend it to novice hobbyist like.
on June 30, 2013
This product does all the basics well. It has several tracks for video, video overlay, pictures, and audio. However, it is very hard to learn how to do other things. I have watched several online tutorials and have gone through several in program tutorials, but I cannot figure out how to do a basic split screen video. The menus seem to allow a lot of customization, but I honestly have no idea if they really do because it is so confusing. I do like how you can upload directly to Youtube and how you can make a video in one of several presets (HD, standard, stereo, that sort of thing). Basically this is a pretty good program and I'm glad I have it, but it could be a LOT less confusing.
on August 2, 2014
This is the best PC software for movie editing. It comes with everything you need from editing, sound editing, and creating DVDs. All three programs are super easy to use, and the learning curve is very low. If you need help, you can find ample videos on You tube, and the software comes with its own "show me how" videos that walk you through the steps. I love this software and have had no problems with it. I can get it to make wonderful videos with great transitions, audio envelopes, crossfades, and text overlay. And you can't beat the price! I have read that the version 13 is not that great because it is made for touch screen computers. Given the detailed editing you may want to do, it is not very easy to do such things via touch screen, so go with Version 11 for all the gadgets you need.
on December 13, 2012
After trying out this software, Adobe Premiere Elements 10, and Corel Video Studio 4, I chose this one because it is by far the most powerful.

Adobe is great if you want to quickly slap something together and have it look nice, but is very limted. Corel's video software is the same way.

This worked great when editing movie clips for making a DVD of my daughter for her grandparents. It was also great for editing a short comical music video for a competition my wife was in.

Not only is there so much that can be done with the video editing side, but also with the DVD authoring side. With seemingly unlimited options for creating custom menus or editing templates to make them more personal, you can easily make something to call your own.
on January 30, 2013
I own a couple of Sony Cameras and I was trying "other" edit sys and I had issues and it was frustrating trying to see what i had shot!! I found this and it went in the PC in nothing flat the cameras were picked up WITHOUT any hassle and I was editing footage almost immediately!! I know that the SONY people know you got a Sony cam get the software ..I also have an older cam and it tok that and allowed me to edit and get it an old project updated for a client
I am now shopping for the PLUG IN and will order those ASAP!!
on November 24, 2012
I don't have the hardware to edit in 3D, I just wanted the output and track upgrades I wasn't getting from previous versions. I bought this software as an upgrade from Movie Studio 9 and I felt it was worth the investment. This version will give you a 10 video track maximum and much better resolution and rendering options. Movie Studio 9 I think ends at about 800x600, whereas with this version you can render into the full HD and Blu-Ray settings (1920x1080) as well as some SD settings. Everyone has their own pros and cons with Vegas as a software in general. For me it's still frustrating that I can't always see my effects play in real time. I feel like you would encounter that problem with just about any version of Vegas anyway.

Coming from Amazon, this product ships fine in the U.S. and comes with the disk, manual, and CD key. I thought the price was reasonable and haven't encountered any outside problems with the software that I haven't experienced with other versions in the past.
on June 15, 2013
I do quite a bit of video editing and I spent several hundred on both a video editor and dvd making program a few years ago. both will not run on my new machine's and so i was forced to find something within my limited budget. So far it's a breeze to use and very fast. I'm planning on buying the newer edition once i've got the budget for it, but for the price and what it's capable of doing, this can't be beat.
on September 3, 2013
I bought this program to facilitate organizing my pictures and movies into slide presentations. This program is not intuitive and requires a learning curve at least for me. It took awhile to master the intricacies of the program but now able to produce half decent presentations and slide shows. The transaction portion of the sale was flawless and shipping was fast.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.