BCA Month Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by Wonderstruck PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment curbpremiere curbpremiere curbpremiere  Three new members of the Echo family Now shipping All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on July 7, 2006
I wanted to buy a compact slim d-camera. Those with larger zoom are quite bulky, you can't carry around all the time. I think a slim camera is a better choice. I slip into my pocket while wondering around and come across something nice and take a picture of it. You can't do it with a huge camera.

After I made up mind about a slim camera, my choices were either Casio Exilim or Sony DSCW series. Casio Exilims are very sexy. They have a lot of mode scenes. They also function as voice recorder. You can take pictures of book pages etc. They have anti-shake capability which is said to reduce blurred images. I was almost buying a Casio Exilim. Being a diligent person I wanted to search more and more.

I found out that the so-called anti-shake feature is a bogus. Many people found it useless. That was a good reason to choose Casio. Then I found the picture quality of Exilim is not really good.I found some pictures taken with Exilim. They were soft, not crisp colors. Search the web reviews made by photo professionals. Casio Exilim is rated significantly less than Sony in picture quality. With ISO 200 noise was still detectable in most reviews . Those same reviewers however found Sony DSCW doing a better job . There was no noise with ISO 400 which means even in lower light condition Sony did a better job (less granularity in pictures with low light). Big difference!.

One feature of Sony that made it very attractive was its strong macro. It is 0.74 inch which means you can bring your camera 0.74 inch (2 mm) close to an object (say a bug) and still take a brilliant picture of it.

Now comparison of Exilim and Sony to summarize:

Casio Exilim

Anti-shake (it's a bogus)

Slim

Lower macro (2.5 inches)

Lower picture quality (detectable noise at ISO 200)

A lot of scene modes

Quick shutter

Sony DSCW Series

Slim (in fact it is slimmer)

Higher macro (0.74 inches)

Higher picture quality (No noise in ISO 400)

Not a lot of scene modes

Quick shutter

So.....I purchased a Sony DSCW 7 Mp. I took lots of pictures.

They are all brilliant, detailed and crisp, true colors.

I tried macro and took pictures of bugs. You can see the hairs on the legs of bugs. Absolutely no noise whatsoever, no blurry.

It's a marvel of technology. I took pictures of fireworks in July 4th using high ISO setting. They came out brialliantly like professional pictures.

It also uses a different kind of battery that you can't buy at your grocery which can leave you vulnerable. So you may wanna buy a spare one (about 40 bucks). But you can always recharge it. And it lasts much much longer than AAA or Nimh batteries.

It was a perfect choice. I highly recommend it.
review image review image review image review image review image
11 comment| 106 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 17, 2007
I purchased this camera to take on a family vacation to Disney World. I needed something small to fit in my purse. I chose Sony because I'm a proud owner of a Sony Mavica MVC-FD95. I've been using it for about 8 years, and I think it takes the best digital photos indoors and out. It's only cons for me is the long processing time between photos, and it's just too large to bring on vacation. Anyway, I found this Sony Cybershot DSC-W70 to take very nice pictures during the day in natural sunlight. But was disappointed with the overall brightness of the shots when used indoors in a low-light setting -- specifically indoors with no natural sunlight. Every picture just seemed too dark. I tried every reasonable setting on the camera to try and force the flash when I wanted a well exposed photo, but I never did figure it out. With my trusty old Mavica, just pop open the flash and it will go off. My old camera also has a great zoom lens. I didn't think I'd miss it so much, but I did. I decided to return the Cybershot DSC-W70 to Amazon after taking a whole bunch of indoor photos (taken in the evening) at Christmas time. Again, I tried several different settings, attempting to get the brighter exposure I wanted, but every picture wasn't worth developing. That was such a huge disappointment for me. I took the time to take so many photos of my extended family and not one was decent. For now, I will continue on with my trusty old Mavica. Maybe my next camera will be the Sony Cybershot DSC-H5. It's not tiny, but I think it's the next best thing to my Mavica. My opinion of the DSC-W70 camera is it is a nice slim camera for natural sunlight photographs. It served my needs for my vacation, but was not serving my needs in my every day life. My main use for the camera was not to take pictures of landscapes, etc, but to take photos of my young children and family.
review image review image review image
on August 10, 2006
I absolutely love this camera. I've told everyone I know to buy it. The picture quality is amazing. There are so many options with this tiny little camera! You can edit pictures before you even print them. Zoom in on a picture already taken and save it that way, and so much more. I take pictures of everything!

I charged the battery when I got the camera, which was about three weeks ago, and it's still going. I have 7/8th of battery life left. I haven't had to charge it again.

I am so happy with my purchase! I hope this helps you.
on November 29, 2013
I have used this camera for years and loved it. I especially like the video quality. There are probably better models available now, but this was a good value for my money. Really loved the rechargeable battery...probably saved the price of the camera vs. disposable batteries. No regrets.
on July 22, 2016
Ordered New Item received Old Used Item, delaying project another week.
on March 2, 2013
I use this camera for diving with an Ikelite housing. It takes great pictures with a red filter on the housing. The camera is small, yet all the buttons are easy to access, even with large fingers. Takes good pictures on land, too!
on December 24, 2006
Before buying online, I tried all the leading brands in B&M stores. Sony felt best. I was looking for a small lightweight camera that could easily be put in a pocket or hung on a belt. After six months of usage I am still impressed:

* Modes are easy to select using the thumb wheel.
* Zoom is right next to the shutter button.
* Movie mode allows good 640x480 MPEGS to be shot.
* Picture quality is excellent
* Using the ISO mode you can shoot in low light levels with the penalty of grainier images with less color.

My only complaint is lack of zoom while recording a movie.

Just bought the W100 for my wife!
on March 26, 2015
Thank you and excellent article was used with no problem and I recommend 100%.
on July 1, 2013
I want another one with lens adaptor and other lenses as I indicated in my previous comments.Preferrably a black body finish. I also want a water-proof camera.
on April 12, 2013
It is a gret camera!~ Takes amazing pictures~ I also love that it has the rechargeable battery so that i do not have to keep replacing them!!