Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by The Lone Bellow PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now FFII_gno

Showing 1-10 of 25 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 55 reviews
VINE VOICEon June 7, 2006
This is a bare bones camcorder in that it comes with little more than a battery, a charging cord, a lens cap, and a video/audio cable to hook the camera to a TV. You will need a 4-pin to 6-pin Firewire cable (not included) to import to a computer.

I found using the touch screen to be easy and pretty intuitive. There are not a lot of extra features, but I found on previous cameras that I do not need special effects functions. It's small size and low weight make it great for travel.

Picture quality is not great due to the small sensor. I have been using the 16:9 feature to record anamorphic DVD using iDVD '06. Long distance shots are very soft on a large screen 16:9 TV. Close ups look good. Audio quality is OK if you are not in the wind.

There are cheaper camcorders of equal recording quality. I went with Sony due to its lower rate of repair needs.

Making DVDs is very easy with a Mac and iLife '06. You do not need the Sony software. Just plug in the camera and iMovie recognizes and even operates playback of the camera.

In summary, this is an entry level camera at a low price for Sony. Highly demanding videographers will not be satisfied but the budget-minded traveler will find this good buy.
on June 27, 2006
The reviews at Amazon, and the "counter reviews" at the end session of [...] helped me with this purchase. (do a search with dcrhc26) Last month, I returned two other miniDV camcorders due to excessive motor noise at all time.

For daily use, I am very satisfy with it. I took movies inside and outside the house at 7 pm. I took it out on the street at night with my daughter in the back taping. The results were good. The screen is full of fingerprint which I don't mind. Afterall, I hardly notice them at all once it's power up.

The motor noise was basically the same as those from my ancient SONY and Nikon 8mm, and Sharp Hi-8. It's not there 95% of the time - the automatic gain control is adjusted much better than the other brand. It's loudest when the camcorder is pointed at empty space.

p.s. I forgot to mention it has a S-video output which requires a special SONY cable for $20. I did purchase it because I always download from miniDV to DVD recorder.

**************************
**************************
4/20/2010
I finally find out way to break the SONY 1-day-after-warranty-expire jinx. That is to purchase a four years extended warranty from them. My HC26 still humming with pretty heavy use with young child.
on August 7, 2006
The machine works fine.

If you buy the firewire cable (e.g., Sony VMC-IL4615 1.5 Meter i.LINK 4-Pin to 6-Pin Digital Video Transfer Cable) you can actually download the movies to a computer (as another reviewer pointed out). On the mac it works well easily and basically flawlessly (sometimes the rewind hangs on you, but it might be the OS X I have on that machine).

Image quality is OK, I guess. You have to realize that I am an obsessed still photographer, so I will always complain for the image quality of a CAM recorder. It needs care when shooting at maximal focal lenght because it is so small that it is easy to make "sea-sick" productions.

I previously ownen a JVC which I hated with all my heart. This one is great.

I would definitely buy it again. If I had more money, I would buy the more expensive version of the same camera.
on December 9, 2007
I have no complaints. It is challenging to figure out a good software to use to put it on your computer. I have a DVD recorder and just transfer it directly from the camera to a DVD. Great camera though! I'd recommend it for a simple little video camera!

It worked well while it worked!

I am updating my review, eight years later. It seems kind of silly to write this at this point eight years later in 2015, but I will. If you're looking for a deal, I recommend buying a more updated camera. Don't use an ancient one. I have lots of little tapes from this camera. The camera itself decided to break a couple of years ago, before I transferred the tapes to digital files, and so I will have to take it to a place to have the tapes transferred to digital.
on May 13, 2010
I am so glad I found this camcorder! We bought this identical camera a couple of years ago, new. It was recently stolen from an event at my church. I still have the camera bag, cords and all my family tapes. We bought it because you can hook the camera up to your PC and transfer your tape to a DVD. I needed this camera in order to transfer the dozen or so tapes I had already recorded. Some of these tapes include family events and once in a lifetime trips. I wanted my camera back, and thanks to Amazon, I got it! This camera was nearly new and best of all, affordable!
on July 3, 2015
I bought this camera for my aunt and the seller was very helpful. The battery that was sold with it wasn't good so the seller reimbursed me for the price of a new one. My aunt loves the camera and enjoys the fact that this was just like her old one.
on January 3, 2017
Did not come with "Picture package software" disk to download videos. That is the reason I bought this.
on November 15, 2012
You All are the best sellers indeed! This product only took two days to reach me. That is the same amount of time for my other Items I ordered! I consider that Quick as Lightning! I appreciate it so very much too! Thank you For being so considerate to me! You are the ultimate people I like doing business with! Again Thank you very much, I especially love the Case!!!
on January 25, 2013
I bought this used camera and have used it few times. The camera has few minor scratches but is working fine for now. I think it was a good buy for the price I paid. The only thing that I would have loved was if it came with carrying bag. Overall decent buy!!
on January 24, 2016
After I used it 2 times it went caput.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse