Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Tailgating FFII_gno

Showing 1-10 of 15 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 18 reviews
on August 18, 2012
This is only the second review I have written on Amazon in 6+ years.

Without a doubt, this is the best Wi-Fi / email enabled picture frame on the market. In fact, I wish there were more, but it appears to be a shrinking part of the market...probably due to the "rise" of tablets. But, for certain folks, there's no substitute for a picture frame like this. I bought it for my parents (in their late 70's) on the other side of the country...so they could get pictures of their grandchildren. I needed something that would be 100% automated, and work without care/feeding...with them being 2,500 miles away, I was not going to be able to drive to their house to reset/reboot/reconfigure it if it had problems.

I tried Kodak models, but the software was flaky at best (it would freeze after 2-3 hours, randomly re-boot and then pull pic's from the SD card instead of the internet [no more updated pic's of the grandkid's], or simply crash for no reason)...and, of course, Chapter 11 bankruptcy didn't help (no more firmware updates to fix issues, no support, and internet feeds/sources hard-coded into the software went out of business...FrameChannel, KodakGallery, etc...making it unusable).

This Sony picture frame fits the bill perfectly. It was easy to set up...easy to connect to Wi-Fi...and easy to get email up delivery up & running (yes, gmail does work...you just have to manually enter the email server address/ports if you're using Google Apps (i.e. your own domain). I did not use the FaceBook or Sony PersonalSpace features...not because I didn't like them...only because I preferred email for sending photo's to the grandparents. The screen is bright, crisp & clear. The user interface is fairly easy to navigate (for a picture frame). The auto on/off timer was easy to set up & reliable. For email delivery, the picture frame appears to "call home" and download pic's every hour (the interval is not configurable, but you can manually "force" a download if you want). And, the email download is fully-automated...it checks for email, download's the pic's, and puts them in the slideshow rotation with no user interaction required at all. It has never dropped WiFi/email connectivity at all & has been rock-solid.

I only have 3 nit-picks...or, rather "feature requests". First, if it came in a 10-inch (or larger) model, I'd buy it ASAP. The 7-inch model is kind of small, that's all...and when it sits on a bookshelf in the grandparents house, half-way across the room, a larger screen makes it more enjoyable even though it costs more. Second, allow the email'd pics to be saved to the SD card (rather than internal memory) so you're not stopped at the 100-picture limitation (yes, if you use an internet-enabled source [email, Facebook, etc] it only uses the most-recent 100 photo's for the slideshow). And, third, make the weather/clock fonts smaller so they take up less of the screen. I'd like to display the time/date/weather on the screen for my parents (it's great info), but they eat up 50% of the screen if I enable all of them, so I just turn them off & only display pic's of the grandkid's.

Even with these "feature requests", this picture frame is (without a doubt) the best WiFi/email enabled picture frame on the market. In fact, it might be the only one left. But, it's good...VERY good. Definitely worth buying...I'm glad I did & my parents are ecstatic with it...they're getting updated pic's of their grandkids from 2,500 miles away, and they don't have to click a single button. If Sony starts making a 10+ inch model, I'd buy it, too. It's that good.
on June 17, 2012
I purchased this frame for my husband for father's day this year and he just loves it! It is easy to use, picture quality is perfect. Touch screen very user friendly. Just plug it in to charge it up, create an email address to email photos to - and that's it! TIP - use a gmail email address, yahoo and hotmail did not work. Other than that, it's super easy, quality amazing, perfect gift.
on February 13, 2013
I bought this for my dad, so I was the one setting it up. Relatively easy to set up, and I really liked that you can change the advanced settings to only come up at certain times of the day, on certain days of the week. Display is also cusomizable so you can see just the picture, picture + calendar and time, or picture & weather (who knows, maybe it can show everything at once).

Biggest issue for me is the incompatibility with older routers. Will need to buy dad a new router. This is an issue for long-distance families that may only see each other once every few months. (And hence, bought a photo frame that you can email stuff to).
on February 20, 2013
This was totally the ticket for Grandma. Updating SD cards is a pain in the butt. This hooks up to the WiFi and we set it up with a Gmail account. Simply e-mail pics to that gmail account and they immediately add to the slideshow. Keeps the most recent 100 pics. My only complaint is that pictures in the portrait orientation come across quite small. I try to send only pics in the landscape orientation, which come across in full screen mode. That aside, the frame works awesome. Set it and forget it.....just don't forget to keep sending pics to Grandma's e-mail address. (I would recommend a specific email account JUST for this frame)
on December 28, 2012
Very good product. Pretty easy to use with adequate functions. Enjoy the feature of emailing photos to the frame. I didn't look into how to crop the photos to fit the frame as some of them seem to cut off the outer edges of the photo when displayed on the frame. I just wish the frame was larger because its not easy to see the frame from farther away in a bedroom or living room. Good product though.
on November 27, 2012
So let me say first, this is the best digital photo frame I've ever used. Setup is moderately easy, and photos update well without manual intervention. It does what I need it to do, which is painlessly let my parents receive updates of the grandkids.

That said, I'm not sure if I will buy more of these. I'm no longer comparing this against other frames, but against the iPad. And the biggest difference is the quality of the display. Unfortunately, the Sony frame has only a mediocre display. Resolution is terrible, touch responsiveness is spotty, and motion (photo slideshow) is jerky. However, it does have one advantage: The iPad in picture frame mode doesn't automatically update photos without first exiting then re-entering picture frame mode - something that isn't required with the Sony frame.
on December 1, 2012
It is basically an Android tablet with a nice frame, better sound, and optimized for picture display.
You can make your own with a cheaper digital tablet, but it would not look or sound as nice as this.
I have other digital frames, but they are a pain because the photos have to be updated manually.
This Sony unit can automatically download from public web sites or you can simply send it as e-mail.
Other units use proprietary vendor sites (which can go out of business) or the implementation is not as smooth.
It makes a great retirement gift. Friends can send photo attachment in e-mail and the last 100 photos show up automatically.
Nice for kids to send grandparents photos. No shipping, and no hassle for the recipient.
on May 7, 2014
We got them for our parents and have them both setup on the same e-mail and email pictures form our iphone. We love it!
on January 2, 2013
Great gift for the parents. They notice every time I add a new photo. All I have to do is attach a photo to an email to a new address that I set up for the frame and it uploads within minutes. Wish they made a bigger frame because I would pay up for it.
on January 2, 2013
this did exactly what I wanted it to do. Was given as a gift to our elderly mother who doesn't get to see her grandkids since everyone lives scattered across several states. This allows her to receive current pictures so she can keep up with them all. You can do this by either having pictures sent to an email address or tag on Facebook. Plus as a bonus I didn't know what included, it streams internet Radio to it! So I was able to set her up with a Pandora account and set it up with her favorite type of music and she can listen to it via the frame.

Con's: Wish it would automatically download via wifi, you have to go to the menu screen and go to network services and hit "check for new arrivals". Not hard but confusing for an 80 year old. Also, wish it would automatically import newly pics received to its internal memory which holds up to 4000 pictures. You have to do that manually too.

But overall a great product to have, especially if you live far from love ones and wish to keep them updated on your family.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.