Buy Used and Save: Buy a Used "Sony DSC-RX100/B 20.2 MP Exmor CMOS Sensor Digital..." and save 41% off the $448.00 list price. Buy with confidence as the condition of this item and its timely delivery are guaranteed under the "Amazon A-to-z Guarantee". See all Used offers.
Sony DSC-RX100/B 20.2 MP Exmor CMOS Sensor Digital Camera with 3.6x Zoom
- Enter your model number to make sure this fits.
- 20.2 MP, Exmor CMOS Sensor, 28-100mm equivalent F/1.8-4.9 lens, ISO 125-6400 Expandable ISO 80, 100, and 25,600, 3-Inch LCD screen with 1.2M dots
- 1080p video, Steady-Shot image stabilization,Rear control dial and customizable front control ring
- Burst Mode (shots)-Approx.10 fps,(VGA) Moving Image Size -640x480 30fps Approx.3Mbps
- Bright F1.8 Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T lens with 3.6x zoom, Full HD 1080/60p video with manual control and dual record, ,Ultra-slim, sophisticated aluminum body
- Dimension: 101.6 mm x 58.1 mm x 35.9 mm, Weight: 213g (7.5 oz)
- 20.2 MP Exmor"CMOS sensor - extreme low-light shots
- Bright F1.8 Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T lens with 3.6x zoom
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
Special offers and product promotions
Have a question?
Find answers in product info, Q&As, reviews
Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.
|Auto Focus Technology|
|Battery Average Life||330 Photos|
|Battery Type||Lithium Ion|
|Continuous Shooting Speed||10 fps|
|Display Fixture Type||Fixed|
|Display Resolution Maximum||1228800|
|Display Size||3 inches|
|Effective Still Resolution||20.2 MP|
|Expanded ISO Maximum||25,600|
|Expanded ISO Minimum||100|
|Exposure Control Type|
|External Memory Included||No|
|File Format||RAW (ARW2.3 Format), RAW+JPEG, JPEG|
|Flash Memory Type||SD/SDHC/SDXC, Memory Stick Duo/Pro Duo/Pro-HG Duo|
|Flash Type||Built-In Flash|
|Focus Description||Contrast Detection|
|Focus Type||Includes Manual Focus|
|Form Factor||Large sensor compact|
|HDMI Type||Micro HDMI|
|ISO Range||Auto, 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200, 6400, 12800, 25600|
|Image Aspect Ratio||1:1, 4:3, 3:2, 16:9|
|Item Dimensions||2.29 x 1.41 x 4 inches|
|Item Display Weight||213 grams|
|Item Weight||0.53 pounds|
|Lithium Battery Energy Content||2 Watt Hours|
|Lithium Battery Voltage||5 Volts|
|Lithium Battery Weight||3.5 ounces|
|Macro Focus Range||5 cm|
|Manufacturer Warranty Description|
|Maximum Aperture||4.9 mm|
|Maximum Aperture Range||F1.8 - F4.9|
|Maximum Focal Length||100 mm|
|Maximum Shutter Speed||1/2000 of a second|
|Maximum horizontal resolution||1,920 Pixels|
|Maximum horizontal resolution||5,472|
|Memory Storage Capacity||128 MB|
|Metering||Multi, Center-weighted, Spot|
|Minimum Focal Length||28 mm|
|Minimum Shutter Speed||30 seconds|
|Optical Sensor Resolution||20.2 MP|
|Optical Sensor Technology||CMOS|
|Photo Sensor Technology||CMOS|
|Sensor Cleaning Method||No|
|Shipping Weight||1.2 pounds|
|Supported Battery Types||Lithium-Ion NP-BX1 battery and charger|
|Video Capture Format||MPEG-4, AVCHD|
|Video Capture Resolution||1920 x 1080 (60 fps), 1440 x 1080 (30 fps), 1280 x 720 (30 fps), 640 x 480 (30 fps)|
|Water Resistance Level||Not Water Resistant|
Compare to similar items
|Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping|
|Sold By||Amazon.com||Eternal Photo||Amazon.com||Amazon.com||Amazon.com||DigitalandMore|
|Screen Size||3 in||3 in||3 in||3 in||3 in||3 in|
|Item Dimensions||1.41 x 4 x 2.29 in||1.41 x 2.51 x 4.32 in||1.51 x 4 x 2.29 in||1.61 x 4.02 x 2.28 in||5.18 x 4.61 x 3.6 in||3.28 x 4.37 x 3 in|
|Item Weight||0.53 lb||0.54 lb||0.62 lb||0.64 lb||1.52 lbs||0.95 lb|
|Optical Sensor Resolution||20.2 megapixels||20.3 megapixels||20.2 megapixels||20.1 megapixels||12.1 megapixels||20.2 megapixels|
|Video Capture Resolution||1920 x 1080 (60 fps), 1440 x 1080 (30 fps), 1280 x 720 (30 fps), 640 x 480 (30 fps)||1920 x 1280 (59.94 fps / 29.97 fps)||1920 x 1080 (60 fps), 640 x 480 (30 fps)||1920 x 1080 (60p/60i/24p), 1280 x 720 (60p/30p/24p/120p), 1440 x 1080 (30 fps), 640 x 480 (30 fps)||3840 x 2160p, 1920 x 1080p, 1280 x 720p, 640 x 480p||1280 x 720p (30 fps)|
|Viewfinder||None||fixed LCD||Electronic (optional)||LCD||electronic viewfinder||fixed LCD|
Exquisite image quality and creative freedom in a truly compact package. For razor-sharp images and pro-quality defocused backgrounds, the RX100 features a large, 1-Inch sensor and an ultra-bright Carl Zeiss/1.8 lens. It also features a handy control ring for easy access to aperture settings and more for total creative freedom.1-Year Limited Warranty.What's in the box: Micro USB cable, Instruction Manual, Battery NP-BX1, Wrist Strap, AC Adapter AC-UD11 and Shoulder Strap Adapter. For more in depth look, check out the RX-100 brochure.
From the Manufacturer
Exquisite image quality and creative freedom in a truly compact package. For razor-sharp images and pro-quality defocused backgrounds, the RX100 features a large, 1" sensor and an ultra-bright Carl Zeiss f/1.8 lens. It also features a handy control ring for easy access to aperture settings and more for total creative freedom.
1" Exmor CMOS sensor, 20.2 MP
Compared to the average point and shoot 1/2.3" sensor size, the RX100 boasts a large, specially developed 1" Exmor CMOS sensor to capture more light and reproduce every stunning detail with greater fidelity. Original dual noise reduction & column A/D conversion further decrease noise to ensure smooth, clear reproduction - even in low-light.
Bright F1.8 Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* lens
Newly developed large-diameter F1.8 Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* lens delivers refined background defocusing - bokeh. A premium multi-layered T* coating also dramatically reduces ghost and flare caused by light reflection.
Wide Range ISO Sensitivity
Shoot in nearly any light with natural results thanks to sensitivity that ranges from ISO 125 to 6400. Auto ISO mode automatically determines the most appropriate setting, or manually expand sensitivity for greater control. The bright lens, extra large sensor and precision image processing work together to ensure remarkably low noise.
Complete Creative Control
Get SLR-like handling with a full range of controls for video and still shooting-from Program, Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority and Manual (P/A/S/M) modes for more advanced photographers, to an incredibly effective iAuto mode perfect for beginners. On-screen prompts help you refine your skills and exercise greater creative control.
RAW Image Capture
Save pictures as compact JPEG files, ultra high-quality RAW files, or both at once. When shooting in RAW format, images are saved prior to de-mosaicing or applying white balance, sharpness and color enhancement for maximum latitude when enhancing images on your PC.
Gorgeous Full HD Video
Create amazingly clear, extra-smooth movies with Full HD 1080/60p video capture in the AVCHDâ„¢ Ver. 2.0 (progressive) format at a high frame rate of 60 fps. You can even record fast-moving subjects and dark settings with astonishing clarity thanks to the large image sensor and high-performance lens.
Massive 1" Exmor CMOS sensor, 20.2 MP
The massive Exmor CMOS sensor with 20.2 MP captures ultra-high definition images that take full advantage of the cameraâ€™s sharp Carl ZeissÂ® Vario-Tessar T* lens. The sensor enables advanced column A/D processing that reduces noise levels, resulting in astonishing low light images with incredible smooth and clear details.
Bright F1.8 Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* lens with 3.6x zoom
Newly developed large-diameter F1.8 Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* lens delivers refined background defocusing - bokeh. A premium multi-layered T* coating also dramatically reduces ghost and flare caused by light reflection.
P/A/S/M modes for video and stills
Enjoy a full range of controls for video and still shooting from the beginner's iAUTO mode to P/A/S/M: Program, Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority and Manual. On-screen prompts help you refine your skills, build your confidence and exercise greater creative control.
Capture JPEG files, RAW files, or both
The DSC-RX100 saves pictures as compact JPEG files and/or ultra-high quality RAW files. RAW files save images prior to de-mosaicing, white balance, sharpness and color enhancement. This retains maximum latitude for enhancing the image on your PC.
Full HD 1080/60p
Record crystal clear movies at the highest resolution available with capabilities for 60p in 1080. This provides stunning, fast motion video with less distortion for playback on your HD TV.2 With dual record of stills and movies, you can shoot both at the same time.
Low-light ISO 6400 sensitivity
ncredibly clear low-light pictures without sacrificing detail, made possible by the low-noise ExmorÂ® CMOS image sensor and refined BIONZÂ® image processor.
High speed Auto Focus
To improve focusing speed and sensitivity, the ExmorÂ® CMOS sensor uses its rapid throughput to deliver high-quality image signals to the cameraâ€™s BIONZÂ® processor, which provides intelligent response data to a new high speed actuator motor in the lens. The result is fast, DSLR-like focusing speeds even in low light.
Capture the decisive moment with up to 10fps
Capture full 20.2 megapixel resolution images at up to 10 frames per second, helping to ensure that the decisive moment is captured such as the soccer ball flying into the goal. In addition, a mechanical shutter helps reduce distortion when continuously shooting moving subjects.
3" Xtra Fine LCD Display
The 3" (1,229k dots) Xtra Fine LCD Display makes it easy to scroll through menus and preview life. WhiteMagic increases visibility in bright daylight. The large display delivers brilliant-quality still images and movies while enabling easy focusing operation.
Customizable function button
Assign up to seven different functions to the function button, to allow quick access to your most frequently used features.
Optical SteadyShot with Active Mode
Optical SteadyShot™ with Active Mode for blur-free movies even while walking. Camera-shake compensation using Optical SteadyShot/Active Mode has been improved with the addition of new electronic image stabilization. Now it’s easier than ever to obtain sharp, blur-free movies even when zooming in unsteady situations, such as shooting with one hand while walking.
MR (memory recall) mode can memorize up to three groups of the user's preferred settings. Settings include zoom magnification, white balance, exposure compensation, date, and grid lines. This enables quick switching of settings at the right moment.
Sophisticated metal body
The sophisticated aluminum body is lightweight, slim, and strong.
Auto portrait framing
Simply photograph a person and Auto Portrait Framing will save an additional, optimally framed image in portrait or landscape orientation. Combining Face Detection and By Pixel Super Resolution technologies with rule of thirds, Auto Portrait Framing provides beautifully composed and appealingly balanced full resolution portraits.
Auto HDR mode
Captures more scene dynamic range than a single exposure can handle—and more range than photo film. Combines the best highlight detail from one shot, the best mid-tones from a second and the best shadow detail from a third for one incredible shot (up to 6 EV stops). Captures in a split second. (Recommended for still subjects.)
Face Detection/ Registration technology
The camera can automatically detect and register up to eight individual faces and adjust focus, exposure, white balance and flash to help deliver crisp, properly lit images of family and friends. Can prioritize children or adults.
Multi-aspect ratio recording for still images
Capture still images in any of four aspect ratios — 1:1, 2:3, 4:3, or 16:9 (vertical to horizontal). This provided the freedom to choose a ratio that matches the scene or the specific shooting purpose.
3.6x optical/7.2x Clear Image digital zoom
Most digital zooms use electronic cropping to get closer to the subject, resulting in unsharp images. With Clear Image Zoom the powerful processor compares patterns found in adjacent pixels and creates new pixels to match selected patterns, resulting in more realistic, higher-quality images. Clear Image Zoom digitally doubles optical zoom for closer photos.
Built in pop up flash
Enjoy the convenience of flash photography everywhere you go.
Four focusing modes
This camera has two Autofocus modes: Single-shot AF (AF-S) or Continuous AF (AF-C), which tracks moving objects. It also has Manual Focus for manual focusing freedom, and Direct Manual Focus (DMF), that first uses autofocusing to focus on the subject, and then allows fast and easy switching to manual focusing for even more precise adjustment.
Digital level gauge
Digital level gauge to allow easier leveling of the camera.
MF assist and peaking
Manual focus becomes much easier because peaking highlights the edges that are in focus in your choice of three colors (white, red, or yellow). This is especially helpful during macro or portrait photography where your focus setting can make or break your shot.
Multi-frame noise reduction
In this mode, the camera automatically shoots multiple images and layers them to produce a single noise-free image. This method provides noise reduction equivalent to a 2-stop lower shutter speed while maintaining the same aperture setting. Since the Multi Frame NR mode can be used in combination with P/A/S/M modes, it expands the user’s shooting flexibility.
The Photo Creativity interface enables you to easily enjoy the creative expression of SLR-quality digital imaging without complex jargon. Changes can be combined/ removed and viewed in real time on the LCD making it a breeze to make adjustments. Choose from several different Photo Creativity functions using the convenient control wheel and center button including; Picture Effect, Background Defocus, Color, Brightness, and Vividness.
Picture Effect mode
Realize your creative potential with Picture Effect, a fun and simple way to convert ordinary landscapes and portraits come to life by heightening mood and emphasizing certain attributes. Effects are Soft Focus, Posterization, Retro Photo, High Contrast Monochrome, Rich-tone Monochrome, Miniature, Soft High-key, Toy Camera, Pop Color, Partial Color, Watercolor Painting, HDR Painting, and Illustration.
Creative Style settings
Control how the camera processes your images with six finishing styles: Standard, Vivid, B&W, Sunset, Portrait and Landscape. You can even fine-tune contrast, saturation, and sharpness to your personal taste.
Sweep Panorama™ Mode
Capture expansive landscapes automatically. Press the shutter, sweep vertically or horizontally. The camera does the rest, continuously shooting images and stitching them together.
Superior Auto mode
Get cleaner, more dynamic pictures and fewer missed shots. The camera automatically recognizes the correct scene mode, then quickly shoots and combines up to six shots to produce images with greater clarity, optimum dynamic range using Backlight Correction HDR technology and lower image noise using 6 shots layering technology. Superior Auto intelligently detects 33 scenes for still images and movies, making it easy to get the best shot.
Intelligent Scene Recognition mode
Intelligent Scene Recognition (iSCN) Mode automatically detects 33 different types of scenes for photos and 44 scenes for movies, and then selects the appropriate camera settings. In Auto Mode, the camera takes a single shot using the optimal settings. In Advanced Mode, the camera takes a photo with the optimal settings and, if in difficult lighting (low light or back light) immediately takes a second photo with another optimized setting so you can choose which to keep.
Please see the comparison chart below to find which RX100 series model is best for your shooting needs.
Lens focal range
Lens max aperture
LCD (degrees of tilt)
3" tilting (180/45)
3" tilting (90/40)
Max video bit rate
50MBps (XAVC S)
Yes, with NFC
Yes, with NFC
Battery life (CIPA)
102 x 58 x 41mm
102 x 58 x 38mm
102 x 58 x 36mm
1. Records in 29 minute segments
2. Requires HDTV and HDMI cable sold separately
2014 Sony Electronics Inc. All rights reserved. Reproduction in whole or in part without written permission is prohibited. Sony, Cyber-shot, Optical SteadyShot, Smile Shutter, Sweep Panorama, Exmor, Xtra Fine LCD, WhiteMagic, BIONZ and the Sony make.believe logo are trademarks of Sony. AVCHD is a trademark of Panasonic Corporation and Sony Corporation. HDMI is a trademark of HDMI Licensing LLC. Microsoft, Windows, and Windows Vista are trademarks of Microsoft Corporation. Mac is a trademark of Apple, Inc. All other trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners. Features and specifications subject to change without notice.
* From The New York Times, June 28th, 2012 © 2012. The New York Times. All rights reserved. Used under licence.
Read about our customers' top-rated cameras on our review page: Point-and-Shoot Cameras
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
RX100 is from Sony which have more similarity with NEX than E-M5, so this list is mostly compare the RX100 to the NEX-7, the NEX-7 have a wonderful hardware and bad implemented software really pi-ss me off.
On contrary, this RX100 is an almost excellent camera both in hardware and software.
1. Size of s100 with 1' sony sensor, the auto-focus is super fast and very accurate, much better than NEX-7, better than E-M5 with some lens but fail to match in the tele side.
2. It charges with USB, I can attach it to my car charger or remote battery for my mobile phone in emergency.
3. It unlike Olympus xz-1,Fujifilm x10, Panasonic lx5/lx7, Canon g1x, it has build-in lens cap, which makes it smaller and a LOT more convenient than those in real life shooting.
4. ISO can be as low as 80, compensate some margin for the 1/2000s shutter speed(E-M5's 200 base iso is a horrible decision from Olympus)
5. The software(operation system) is derived from Sony Alpha DSLR, unlike the NEX's bad UI implement from Sony P&S digital camera. It gives you 3 custom profiles, with their own iso range setting. different picture quality setting etc.
6. The face detection can be set on for ALL light metering and focus mode. this is a big evolution from NEX(which can only used with matrix metering and multi-focus).
7. 20m pixels is very good with pixel peeping or cropping, thanks to it's large sensor and quality lens, lots of details with base iso.
8. It still keep the Sony camera's features:
Sony's color profile. I really like this kind of realistic color rendering. Way better than Panasonic's wash-out plain dirty image and Olympus bluish white, more graduation than too much contrast Nikon, and less pink from Canon.
Portrait mode have more dynamic range boost.(good trick from NEX)
AF-illuminate light is useless.(turn it off immediately when you received your camera, good trick from NEX)
Alpha DSLR's multi frame noise reduction is great for iso 3200 and up
Manual focus with focus peaking and zoom-in
Lot's filter effects can be applied to video and photo, HDR, Pano, Hand held twilight mode, they are still there.
Exposure compensation and white balance you see on screen is identical to the actual shots.
9. leaf shutter is almost silent. lower latency compare to NEX-7, super fast, that can sync flash with 1/2000s
10. 10fps shutter stream with live view, this is a huge plus from NEX, and the buffer flush is very quick compare to NEX-7 with sandisk ush-i 45mb SD
11. almost no screen lag between shots-to-shots(after you turn off the quick review, another trick from NEX/Alpha)
12. dual dials control is very good, comparable to NEX-7 and E-M5(NEX-7's tri-dial is a totally hoax, most of the time, 2 of the dials are redundant with same function. )
13. lens is exceptional, f1.8 can be used but there maybe some halos in daylight, starts from f2.8 is razor sharp. Macro shoot is amazing(see my photos uploaded to the product gallery)
14. photo replay can be zoomed-in and then roll-over each photos to compare the zoomed parts. (NEX-7's tri-dial is useless here, all of them have the same function of roll-over to next photos)
15. lots of customization with buttons.better than NEX-5n and comparable to NEX-7
17. Video function is better than NEX-7, it have more control, and concave dedicate movie button, which in comparison, NEX-7 have a protrude button, can be easily pressed by accident and record unnecessary movie.(Shame on you! Sony, 8 months w/o firmware fix for this!)
18. Video active stabilization is effective, panning and zooming is butter smooth.
19. dedicate modal dial, with memory recall and movie mode. memory recall can set up to 3 memories for the most distinguish settings, such as 1 for portrait(low iso base range, med shutter speed, portrait color rending, face detection ), 2 for landscape (80 iso, vivid color rending, small aperture), 3 for in-door flash portrait. You can alway record video in any mode with press the movie button, but in dedicate movie mode, you can set to automatic or manual, or Av, Sv and filters for your fine tune of movie style.
20. flash can be set to bounce with your fingers, produce nice in-door photos. (good trick from NEX-7)
21. white magic rgbw screen is very good, more vivid and bright than NEX-7 outdoor.
22. battery is generally good in this category , I shoot 700 photos for half a day, So prepare 2 spare battery for a night and day shoot session.
23. Since Adobe released Lightroom 4.2 RC, Raw file can extract more details for high ISO setting, but jpeg out of camera is better than what I expected as well as the vignetting, distortion, purple fringe compensation.
1.front dial is smooth, the smooth dial is excellent for manual focus, but I prefer tick dial to adjust values.
2.modal dial is a little tighten to turn.
4.no dedicate on/off button for flash. it can only be triggered with menu option to use flash.
5.Lens zoom out/in speed is not very fast, if you drop the camera, it may not survive...
6. aperture decay fast compare to the focal length, hopefully it can provide 28-35mm with f2.8
7. no grip, even its small but you'd better have the wrist strap.
8. no external battery charger for spare battery.
9. no sd card buffering write indicator nor any sign of indication on screen.
10. photos and movies in separate replay menu, Sony's old problem though...
11. manual can only be downloaded from Sony support website. (No CD manual or Raw converter for a enthusiast camera? )
Things I really expected:
1. ND filter for landscape under bright sunlight.
2. Smart terminal from NEX, So I can hook up EVF or external flash, it's a bad dicision for a camera without articulate screen.
3. Trade some aperture range for a little extra on wide lens, such as 24mm f2
4. Filter thread
6. Dedicate Flash on/off switch
7. Traditional focal range display
8.info battery provide precise battery level( % battery display like NEX)
One problem I had with the canon point and shoots was that I keep on getting the lens error. I actually had to send the camera into Canon Warranty twice! So far with this camera it is very sturdy. I had no clue Sony cameras can be this good. I am a Canon camera person too! Maybe this camera is the exception. I will need to test out other Sony cameras sometime.
The combination of a nice 1 inch sensor and good Zeiss lens and good image processor makes this a great camera -
the other thing is its size - it is truly pocket able - so fits in any jacket pocket or purse or bag so one can take it everywhere -
I do have load of other cameras - but I wanted a small camera that fitted in my pocket yet did have good image quality -
There is no question that the image sensor in the RX100/m2 is very nice - and gets higher rating than all other cameras in that size class -
The LCD in back is very nice - the menu system is very straight forward and easy to navigate - I love the various ART filters like Water Color for example and there are quite a few art filters -
I love the fact that it also can shot in RAW for best results with post production of images -
It does have the MR setting on the mode dial or memory recall - so you can select 3 custom settings which is very nice -
It is hard to find any fault with the RX100 as it is so good - and really the best in class for sure -
The only thing I would have liked is a faster lens similar to what is on the Fuji X20 F2.0-F2.8 vs what the RX100 has F1.8-4.9 - so when shooting in low light make sure you are not zoomed in as the lens opening is much smaller when zoomed - I think that given the size Sony just could not fit a faster lens as it would have to be a bit larger lens -
Highly Highly recommended camera - there is no camera that size that is better - and now as of Feb 2014 the prices have dropped so and ideal time to get one
RX100 is a bit pricy compared to other cameras in that size but there is nothing out there that compares in image quality so very much worth getting the RX100