Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning Paterson Paterson Paterson  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis Final Fantasy XIV Shop Now toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 227 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 305 reviews
on August 1, 2013
As a professional photographer who mostly carries a 36 megapixel Nikon D800 SLR, I also needed a strong ultra-compact camera for those times when the big camera is just too much or I need to be inconspicuous in my shooting, and also for convenient personal/family use. For both uses, I find that the RX-100, Model 2 really exceeds all of my expectations.

Shortly after receiving it, I set up lab tests shooting the same objects at a range of ISO settings using 4 different cameras. I expected the Sony to surpass my older Canon compact, which it did easily. The surprise came when I compared the Sony images with my Nikon D7000 SLR, itself a very fine camera. The Sony RX100 M2 matched that fine camera at low ISO settings and surpassed it at ISO 1600 and above.

This little workhorse also has nearly all the settings one would seek as a serious photographer - 3-frame bracketing, manual white balance, focus and exposure control, aperture and shutter priority, 10fps rapid multiple shots, and more. Settings are complex, though and the manual confusing, So while it can behave as a point-and-shoot, this camera is best for someone having a good knowledge of sophisticated cameras.

I purchased mine with the optional, and rather expensive, electronic viewfinder that slides into the accessory shoe. It is a great viewfinder and I highly recommend this add-on for those of us who prefer an SLR-like way of holding a camera. And the electronic finder is really better than the usual optical, because you are seeing exactly what the sensor sees, and there is no mirror slap when you shoot.

I don't work much with video, but I conducted some tests of this capability anyway - full 1080 at 60P setting. I just went to dinner, set the camera on the edge of my table and recorded people coming and going. The results, even in the relatively dim restaurant lighting, easily exceed my 4-year-old $750 dedicated video camera. The RX200, Model 2 is a winner all around for those who are serious about image quality and features, need a pocketable camera and can afford to pay for these capabilities.
2424 comments| 471 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 23, 2015
I would not recommend this camera. Type this into Google and read the forums " RX100 buzzing"
My camera started buzzing for no reason after a year, of course after the warranty ran out. I had it on a tripod taking pictures of dear on my deck when it started buzzing. People report this issue after a few days, few weeks, and in my case a year. Very unreliable and the camera has even been recalled in japan from what some people were saying.

Very disappointed in Sony. Waste of $650
I purchased this used, because I wanted a smaller camera that could shoot in RAW format. I am by no means a pro, just an avid enthusiast. My passion is the night sky.

For that, I usually use a Canon 60Da--with lenses, not a telescope. As others have pointed out, sometimes less is more, and I needed a little "less" bulk to do much the same thing. The Canon is supposed to be used at night, not during the day because it has an IR filter modification. I've been using a Sony HX400V that I really like for daytime shots.

I don't want to imply that this camera can replace the Canon 60Da: the Sony only goes to F11 in aperature; and ISO settings are limited. However, as I drive around during the day, I sometimes spot sites I want to visit at night; in those cases, I'll come back with this little camera and take some quick "proof" shots--which tell me in 1 or 2 shots whether this is a good place to shoot at night. This is very useful and time saving--it's it's no good, I haven't dragged out my big Canon or my big tripod.

I take a few road trips a year; carrying both the Sony and the Canon; I thought this might be able to replace the larger Sony, especially on long road trips; and also complement the Canon on night sky shots.

I'm not giving up the Canon--it has more incremental technical abilities than the RX100, but I wanted to downsize even more from the HX400, and I wanted to be able to shoot in RAW format whenever I could. So far, I am very impressed. Because of it's f1.8, and 10.4 lens (in reality), I wondered how well it would do on the night sky, even though that was not the reason for buying it.

In manual mode, on a Bulb setting with a wired remote (yes I have the Smartphone app, and it works also), it should work--and it does a good job.
One of the night sky issues is focusing in manual mode: It was easy--very intuitive--much more than my larger Canon. Very sharp on stars.

The camera buttons are small--even for my small hands. And they are nearly flush with the body. That is taking some time to get used to.

The manual that comes with it is not as helpful as I'd like: I recommend a book by Alexander White-- "Photographer's Guide the RX100 II". It has been extremely helpful. For example, the RX100 II has a memory recall feature--you set up the camera the way you want it, and then you put in Memory. You dial MR up and pick your setting. It works very well for me to be able to call up my manual mode on the fly. And that is but one of the easy to use features.

The camera has a small built in flash--don't expect much beyond 8-10 feet for any small camera. I did some research, and the best TTL (through the lens--automatic) add on flash I found was the Neewer 320. Not as cheap as a manual flash, but I wanted the TTL advantage. Believe it is also sold under other names. This add on flash provide a little more "oomph" in your lighting. It also works with the Sony HX400, so that was a big plus.

There is also a few aftermarket lens kits--Sony makes one as well. That is if you want to add other lenses: UV, CPL, ND, etc.

Surprisingly--this camera doesn't seem to have the "PlayMemories" functions that others do. At least I can't find a way to make it work. When connected to the computer, it loads the pictures normally, you just can't download apps to the camera. This surprised me, because Sony seems so invested in this product.

The Wifi works well -- I have to keep reminding myself that the *camera* generates the wifi signal, and the phone connects to the camera. My phone is used as a hotspot -- in my mind, it's the phone generating the wifi. Once you turn off the mobile hotspot, and turn on the phone's wifi, connection is no problem.

I am using a Sony 128GB SD card in this--putting the card in a PC then using it in the camera seems to give the camera problems. Not the first time I've seen this with a Sony product. I transfer all my pictures to an external drive and catalogue them. Sometimes my Dell PC doesn't read the card. Right now I'm using a USB card reader and that seems to work on the PC.

My camera came with the LCD glass screen attached (I like this). It also came with a CamRon case which is functional and stylish. You want to do everything you can to protect your investment. I wish the camera had a "LoJack" application.

This is the best point and shoot camera I've ever owned, and I intend to keep it for a long time. I highly recommend this camera.

I've provided some images. If you've never seen what "processing raw" can do: The first four on the golf course I used a tactical flashlight to "light paint", as was the street scene with the clouds coming in--processed via PhotoShop Elements 13.

The last two pictures are the same exact picture (I mean the exact same photograph): the next to the last one is the unretouched JPEG (i shoot RAW and JPEG -- this creates two files; and the last one is the JPEG created from the RAW image in PhotoShop Elements 13. The streak in the sky is an airplane--but you couldn't see it until it was processed.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon October 30, 2016
The Sony DSCRX100M2 has hit a home run with me for traveling light while not giving up any picture quality. I am a long time fan and user of Sony NEX/alpha mirror-less cameras, that I will refer to as "NEX" from here on to avoid confusion. Over the years I have owned NEX-3, NEX-5n, NEX-7 and a6000 bodies and a wide range of Sony E-Lenses. But, as wonderful as the NEX camera bodies have been, as compact and easy to carry as they are, you still have to mount normal sized lenses to them. That hasn't really been a problem. But I have longed for an NEX type camera that I could tote in a pocket or bag like a point and shoot. So the Sony DSCRX100M2 and its 20.9 MP 1" Exmor R CMOS sensor was both on my must have list and also something that I was eager to test relative to my past and present NEX/alpha APS-C camera bodies.

To start with, the Sony DSCRX100M2 really is like mini-NEX camera, slightly smaller than the original NEX-3 while being quite a bit smaller than the a6000 type camera bodies. The finish, heft and feel are all inspire confidence. I was delighted to find that the user interface was, with a few small changes, basically the same as found on my a6000 body. There are a few small detail changes in the interface, like omitting the AEL lock button and moving that function to the center button, which sadly keeps that button from being used to select ISO. The function display is slightly different. But otherwise the interface should feel instantly familiar to anyone who has used an NEX camera. I quickly set the camera up to my usual settings. One small annoyance is that although the Sony DSCRX100M2 supports bracketed exposures it has reverted to the range that was used in the NEX-3. You can only bracket exposures by a max of 0.7 EV with the Sony DSCRX100M2. not by the full 3EV available in the later NEX and alpha cameras. Sony had introduced a firmware update for the NEX-5n and NEX-7 that implemented the 3EV range for bracketing. I hope they will do the same for the Sony DSCRX100M2. The tilt screen has the same layout as on my prior NEX bodies and is, along with the great performance of these cameras, one of the big reasons I love working with NEX type cameras.

I was most interested in the Sony DSCRX100M2's 28-100mm equivalent F/1.8-4.9 lens. I photographed a favorite test scene with full sun and shadow at each ISO and then imported the RAW files into Lightroom. There I applied the noise and sharpening presets that I had created for importing images from my a6000. Then I went through each image and adjusted the parameters to get the best out of each image to create a new set of import noise/sharpening presets for the Sony DSCRX100M2. Although sharpness was not up to the level of my Sony SEL1670Z Vario-Tessar T E 16-70mm F4 it was nevertheless just as good as the kit lenses supplied on the APS-C NEX/alpha cameras. There was some distortion and slight smearing at the edges and corners at the 28mm equivalent that decreased rapidly by 35mm equivalent and after. Sharpness overall from center to edges was very consistent with no negative attention grabbing fall off. Detail resolution was excellent overall.

Noise from the 20.9 MP 1" Exmor R CMOS sensor was very low, one big reason to buy a camera with a larger sensor. ISO 100-400 were as one would expect the best ISO ranges for low noise that required minimal correction. But ISO 800 also produced excellent images after careful correction. ISO 1600 was still very good with correction and ISO 3200 was still able to produce usable images with the right noise and sharpening applied. After 3200 you are pretty much in the image salvage business. The images at ISO 6400 are still head and shoulders above the quality you would get with P&S cameras that use much smaller and much noisier sensors. But detail really starts to suffer there and you also reach the limits of noise reduction that can be applied and redeemed by sharpening and detail adjustments.

All in all I was very impressed both by the 28-100mm equivalent F/1.8-4.9 lens, the 20.9 MP 1" Exmor R CMOS sensor, the camera's NEX/alpha style interface and the general fit, finish and feel of the whole camera. The flash is strong and also has EV adjustments and several modes. For shooters able to take advantage of and work in post production with RAW output this is just a great camera. It is really necessary, when working with RAW, to use Lightroom or Photoshop, for example, to make use of Adobe's camera lens geometry adjustment profiles that automatically correct for the sort of distortion that is part of any collapsible P&S type lens, no matter how fine the lens may be otherwise.

One other note: I bought the Sony DSCRX100M2 instead of one of the later Sony DSCRX100 models because I wanted the 28-100 lens. Although the 24-70mm equivalent lens on later models is, from what I have seen, superior in some subtle ways to the 28-100 lens I wanted that extra bit of tele extension. After testing the camera and shooting with it I am not disappointed. It's a great lens and a minor miracle considering it's small size and collapsible design that retracts into the camera body. I am a happy user of the Sony DSCRX100M2. RECOMMENDED.
on August 27, 2013
Got the camera within 18hrs after ordering it. That was nice. I had a lot to learn to be able to get all I wanted out of it. Played around with it for 2 weeks. Then took it to a trip to Las Vegas, Zion and Bryce National Parks. Good movie quality. (Zoom was slow and exposure was a little tricky - in move mode only.) Surprised by how well soo many pictures came out. High Rez screen better than most. Lots of envy from everybody I showed pictures to. Very pocketable. Hiked with it in my cargo pockets. In the end it had scratches and wear all over the body and on the screen. Had to blow the grit out of the top knob. The action on the rotating ring on the back is not what it originally was as I used it soo much backing to review pics I had just taken. I was never silly enough to put this camera in my pocket with keys or coins. That is just stupid. In short I used it hard and still very pleased. I took some incredible pictures of the milky way out in the parks and away from lights. 1.8, 3200 ISO and 20 second exposure. Amazing. Good low light pics. Fast from off to picture taken. Missed almost nothing. Friends couldn't dodge me. Fast good Auto focus. The zoom really slows the exposure. Wish zoom was a more like 5X or 8X. Panorama function is a little tricky. HDR is good. I wish it had more knobs for adjustments. I'm not a fan of working through menus to do stuff. Pricy but only the very picky will be disappointed. But for the size very hard to beat.
55 comments| 22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 28, 2015
My wife loves taking pictures so I decided to get her a really good camera for Christmas. Now I'm not one of those people who knows a lot about cameras so I can't speak to the technical specifications or anything like that. BUT I am one of those people who obsessively reads reviews and does tons of research before pulling the trigger so hopefully this review will help someone like that. Although if you are like me, you'll need more than one review to sway you. Anyway, here goes.

To begin my camera-hunting process, I outlined several criteria that the camera had to meet. I listed them below and explained why this particular camera ticked all of the boxes for me.

1.) Image quality has to be better than a smartphone. Otherwise, why get an additional camera? If the image quality were similar or even only slightly better than her iPhone, she'd end up using the iPhone. I guarantee it. So far this camera has delivered. The image quality is incredible. Super sharp, professional looking pictures. Wife loves it.

2.) Camera has to be small. Small enough to fit in a purse. She's not going to be one of those people who wears a giant DSLR around her neck. When we travel we walk around a lot, so a compact camera was key. This camera is a little thicker than a bar of soap. Perfect for throwing in a clutch, which is a purse you put inside another purse (or something). Wife loves it.

3.) Easy to use. I know my wife won't use it if it's overly complicated or frustrating. She's not a technophobe but she does get very frustrated when things aren't simple. So far this camera has been super simple to use. I mean it's a point and shoot. The auto-focus setting is easy and she's just starting to figure out all the other bells and whistles. All without ever cracking the manual. Wife loves it.

4.) WiFi. She likes to share pics on Instagram and Facebook so this was crucial. I originally ordered the RX100 but then returned it for this one. If WiFi isn't that important to you, stick with that one. We played around with it a little and the image quality is very similar. If it is important, go with this one. Side note: I thought you had to connect both the camera and the phone to your home WiFi to transfer pics but I was mistaken. There is WiFi IN THE CAMERA. So you connect your phone (or laptop or tablet) to the WiFi in the camera. This means you can transfer pics ANYWHERE. This may have been obvious to you but it was a pleasant surprise for me. Sharing is super easy and fast. Again, I wanted a camera that made sharing easy. A lot of the WiFi enabled cameras I looked at got poor reviews in that area. Not this one. Wife has been sharing like a champ. Needless to say, wife loves it.

So if you're looking for a camera that fits any or all of these criteria, go ahead and pull the trigger on this one. Or be like me and read a thousand more reviews first.
on April 30, 2017
I'm going to try to keep this review fairly short because I'm certainly no professional photographer or someone who knows a ton about the inner workings of cameras - what I am is a "normal guy" who wanted to take better pictures than I can get with my phone (I have an iPhone 6s Plus). I film shows for a comedy group and snap pictures. I also used it on a short vacation recently and for stuff around the house/whatever. Just like a non-enthusiast would - and I can say this was a fantastic purchase. I'll list a few things I love about it:
1) It's really easy to use - it has smart settings that work great and you'll never have to worry about the detail settings if you don't want, it takes great pictures this way.
2) It goes from light to dark and back fantastically - in the show I film, actors are walking on/off stage from the darkness and I am really happy that it picks up on them pretty well even in the shadows.
3) There's a button on the back of the camera - click that and no matter what setting the camera is on it will simply start recording video and sound with intelligent settings - really handy since I can go from photos to video that easy.
4) You can take pictures while video is recording - just click the shutter button as normal.
5) The screen on the back can come out and tilt quite a bit, very handy for a lot of situations where you aren't in a perfect situation to film.

Now a couple things I think folks should know -
1) The Microphone on this camera is good for filming normal situations - but for group settings where there's a lot of noise coming from different directions (like my filming of actors on stage and an audience talking/clapping/etc) the microphone seems to get a little confused and can jump around to what it's focusing on. It can also sound tinny in this situation - but I never heard that in normal testing of the camera. That said - there's a solution but unfortunately it costs a little over $100 - the Sony ECMXYST1M Stereo Microphone will plug into the top of this camera and is great for these group/varied sound situations. It completely fixed all the issues I stated above.
2) It doesn't come with a memory card so you have to buy one separately.
3) The screen on the back doesn't show stuff in dim light nearly as well as the final product (your video/pictures) does. At first I was disappointed having only seen it from the screen during the filming, but once I got it home and viewed the videos on my computer they looked stunning. I can't speak highly enough for how well this camera handles dim light and light changing situations.

I really like this camera, so glad I bought it. Note....got it for 2/3 the price because I bought it from Amazon's warehouse and the box was dinged a little bit - the camera and everything was in absolute new/perfect condition and the box was never opened. Just a mark on it and I saved $196 off the price it shows currently. $200 for a dinged box? Heck yea....what a deal.

Happy shooting!
on July 15, 2015
I can not say enough good things about this camera. If you are a photo enthusiast that wants a break from the SLR. This camera is it. I have tried the mk3 and it is even better. The images are fantastic from the camera without editing from auto mode. It gets everything right, and with its fast lens night shots are incredible for a camera that fits in your pocket. I bought mine from the Amazon used section, it is expensive. But I am telling you it worth every penny. And the video is as good as any camcorder on the market. The fast lens and excellent image quality make it so good. Get one now and if you are the fence, just do it. The picture of Cinderella's castle was handheld at night, f1.8 aperture is the real deal. Best crazy good from something so small.
review image
on September 25, 2015
Despite all the fantastic reviews, I wasn't a big fan of this camera. It takes fantastic photos of people and scenery, but I wanted to take a lot of close-ups of small animals, which this camera doesn't do very well for two reasons. First, although it focuses close to the lens when zoomed the whole way out, if you zoom in a bit so that a small item will cover a larger portion of the sensor, then you have to back up a lot from the focal item. Second, you never really know how far back you have to move. Canon cameras tell you minimum focal distance on the display to help you out. This just makes you guess. If you want it for larger items that are further away, then this camera is certainly worth considering, but if you want close-ups of small items, then keep looking!
on April 4, 2016
The camera is very nice, portable and shoots very nice photos. RAW photos are not quite up to the standards to the bigger brothers of the ILC or DSLRs. The RAW colors are little wonky in comparison but not not objectionable and nothing that a good photo editor can't fix. The real issue with the camera is battery drain. Even with the camera in airplane mode battery drain is excessive. The battery will go flat in 24 hour in standby mode even in airplane mode. This is good news for Amazon as I have stocked up on Wasabi X type batteries for the Cyber-shot. Keep the camera on charge when not in use and carry plenty of spares when shooting.

Update: this is the very first disappointing buy from Amazon Warehouse I have ever purchased. The micro usb connection was not working so I took it into a local shop. Estimated repair $312.00 for a new main board. Ouch! I should have know there was a problem when the package arrived with a big dent in the side. Worse yet, there was not enough packaging inside. I don't know if the warehouse inspected the item before shipping to make sure it was working or if the hard knocks had damaged the fragile USB port. I don't know if the damage has anything to do with the unit eating batteries. I had a work around of always having batteries on hand and on charge and putting the SD card directly into a reader as the USB plug was no-go. Don't know if this was Amazon or the shipper who was in error but I am a least out shipping to replace the unit, if I can even do that.