Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held GNO Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 62 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 69 reviews
VINE VOICEon August 29, 2010
This is a great portable player for kids on a trip or a visit--a wonderful cure for "I'm bored" in a pinch (including for other people's children that are brought somewhere ill-prepared for the time. But, although that's been a great by-product, I really got this for myself initially. I have a lot of very tedious work to do at home, mindless and boring desk work, and--after frying the video card of my laptop playing dvds--thought an inexpensive dvd player would be a much better alternative.

It's been great. Just plug in and go. It also has an A/V connector (supplied) so it was easy to use as a dvd player hooked up to a tv or monitor with A/V input. The picture quality on a large screen isn't "amazing"--this isn't blue-ray--but I thought it was perfectly fine.

It also plays just as well off the car battery (connector supplied). And the small screen (about a third bigger than PSP--and about 4x bigger than a smart phone screen) was perfectly fine, too.

All in all, if you have realistic expectation (and happen on to the Amazon price discount--it alternates among the colors), it's a great little player.
on January 13, 2011
My 5 1/2yr old son loves to take his movies with him. He's autistic therefore developementally delayed so he can be hard on electronics. We had originally bought a Phillips and were disgusted with it's performance, battery only lasted 30 minutes and it wouldn't play while it was charging so this was not going to work for us.

We took a chance and ordered this one online without seeing it in person and I'm so glad we did. The size and weight is perfect for him and it's pretty easy to use. The battery has been averaging about 3hrs and it can continue playing while it recharges. Of course it takes longer to charge this way but it does play and charge at the same time.

He has dropped it at least twice (once hard enough the dvd fell out) and spilled a soda on the control panel and still works as well as it did the day we opened it!

We are so happy with it that we are going to order a 2nd one so we will have a backup if this one gets broken.
44 comments| 33 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 1, 2013
I'm a Sony fan, but this unit's advertising fails to match reality. It will not play a DVD made on a computer, using a movie downloaded from a Sony camera. When I contacted Sony tech support, they sent this, quote:

I understand that the "Resolution not supported" message appears when trying to playback disc created in the Computer. Please note that the DVD media containing recordings in AVCHD format (1080p/1080i) will not playback in this DVD Player. The DVD with AVCHD recordings should not be used with standard DVD Players, as the DVD Player may fail to eject the media and may erase its contents without warning. DVD media containing AVCHD recordings should only be played on a compatible Blu-ray Disc Player or other compatible device.

I suggest that you make sure that the recordings in the DVD are not in AVCHD format. Also, make sure that has been correctly finalized. The Player does not support playback of DVDRW, DVD-R or DVD-R DL discs recorded in VR (video recording format) mode. Please refer to page 25 and 26 for the information on playable media by the Player. You can view/save and or print the Manual from our support site at:

[...]

Thank you for understanding.

The Sony Email Response Team
C3UL

End quote.

Yet "Page 25" of the manual that came with my unit states that it WILL play DVDRW, DVD+R and DVD-R media. The manual is available on-line, free--I urge you to read it. And try reading the on-line manuals for anything else like this you are considering, prior to making a purchase.

As to this unit: I can't use it for viewing home movies of the grandkids, but it is built Sony-perfectly, and it does function well for displaying slideshows of still photos. That and the low price are the only reasons I didn't send this back to amazon.
on April 1, 2012
I got it to carry with me to review dance DVD's prior to my dance classes or late at night to watch a dvd movie with headphones. It is a good little player and does just what I expected it to do. All the parts came with it and the battery will last just about the lenght of time listed and charges up fast. I wish it had a replaceable battery and at some point I know the battery will just wear out. but for now--it does a great job and I am happy with the little blue player.
Next time I get more money, I will get one with a replaceable battery.
Update: 2015--it died. I am so sad. I played it a LOT with movies and cd's and it sat at my desk at work keeping me company these last two years--but as all things that get constant play and use (with love and loads of monster movies), it gave it's life to keep me from being bored at work while doing data entry. It never faulted or failed to play any DVD or CD I tossed at it and it would play all day long. And now, I need to replace it and it is no longer around. Whatever I replace it with---has some LARGE "shoes" to fill. RIP--and to recycle you go.
on June 2, 2013
I am an iPod addict, but I also own a number of old cds that I enjoy listening to. I didn't want to duplicate my purchases by adding many of these cds to my iPod library, so I decided to buy a portable cd player. A student of mine suggested that if all I wanted to do is listen to my cds, I should consider a dvd/cd player instead of a walkman or the like. He said the cost would be similar, and the dvd/cd player would afford me the option of watching dvds.

I'm glad I took his advice. This Sony unit meets my needs. It plays my old cds with no problems, and if a family member wants to watch a dvd on a long car trip, we now have that option as well. The unit is easy to use and very solidly made. The volume is adequate: it probably wouldn't satisfy folks who want to fill a room or car with high-quality sound, but it's more than adequate if you just want to listen to tunes as you drive or work. The controls are clear and intuitive.Battery life is reasonable; the unit runs a little over two hours when playing dvds, and longer with cds. It recharges quickly. The screen display is sharp, and the colors are bright.

My only two regrets are relatively minor, but they are enough to give this player 4 stars instead of 5.

First, unlike my iPods, it seems you can't recharge the Sony and use the player at the same time. The power switch must be in the "off" position if you use the car charger or ac charger. Second, you need to keep the lid up, even if you are listening to cds don't need to watch the screen display. The speakers are located at the bottom of the screen, so if the lid is closed, the volume and quality of the sound are affected.

For the money, I think this is a great little player, and I'm satisfied with my purchase.
on August 15, 2012
Let me first say that this is the second model I've purchased (although the first was black). The first one was purchased in September 2010 to entertain my child on a 23 hour road trip. From there, it became a staple in the car, especially helpful with DVDs that repeated automatically. Anyway, the important stuff. Ours held up a good year and a half of repeated drops, falls and other toddler beatings and only recently did the lens reader decide to quit. I had the option to purchase others for the replacement, but chose this one again. It's easy to operate and the hold function prevents my 2 year old from stopping, restarting, adjusting the volume, etc on his movies. Battery life is average, but I didn't expect much from it. For something so reasonably priced, it's a good value.
on February 25, 2013
Bought this to entertain my 2 year old on a long two day car drive trip. He actually did not need it for during the ride, but it was helpful to be able to use this to play his favorite DVD when we got to the hotel to help him settle in.
Since then (6 months) it has more then paid for itself. Great for airplane travel. It plays CDs, so I use it to play his favorite goodnight CD when we are visiting someone overnight.
My 2.5 year old is pretty gentle with this, but it has been dropped a few times and it is fine. It will not charge AND play at the same time. So, if you use the battery all up (which last a pretty good long time for a battery) and then you plug it in and continue to play it, it will not charge up while playing. You have to plug it in and have it off to recharge. I know that there was some question of this when I looked at reviews before I bought it. But, I don't find this an issue, since it comes with a car charger.
It has a "lock all" button, which locks all buttons but the "open" button that you use to take the DVD out. However, my 2 year old figured out pretty fast that if you hit the open button it will stop playing, so he seems to only hit it by mistake (very rarely) now.
It has a little bit of weight to it so it might not be the best item if you want to attach it to the back of a seat in a car. I do not use it that way, so it is not an issue for me. I like the size since I let my son hold it and watch it on his lap most of the time.
on July 12, 2012
The first one of these I owned lasted a little over a year, but since I'm an insomniac and use these things as sleeping aids they're usually on all night every night, so I figured c. 3,000 hours was not a bad life. The new one, however, has lasted less than three months -- and that's unacceptable. It's making clickety noises and giving me the old "Cannot Play this Disc" routine on every disc, and cleaning the laser lens doesn't help. ZERO STARS on this one -- very disappointed. Just don't know what alternative there might be...
on March 3, 2013
I got this for my 3yr old autistic son for when we go places and its very durable has been dropped at least twice snice i bought it and ive now had it for a year and it still works like its brand new and we use it almost every day. This is a great little dvd player and the price is also good! The sound is great for a little dvd player and it also works great hooked up to the tv to use as a dvd player. I highly recomend this product to anyone that is looking for a cheap portable dvd player!
on May 14, 2014
I bought a SONY portable DVD player similar to this one approximately 4 years ago for my grandson. Believe me, it was used a lot and also dropped a few times along the way. I did buy a hard case for it, which I would certainly recommend, and I feel this absolutely helped with keeping it in good working condition for a longer period of time. So far, so good, on this one, but time will tell.