BCA Month Salon Beauty Fall Reading Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited $69.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon drwho drwho drwho  Three new members of the Echo family Now shipping All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on June 18, 2012
I was a little skeptical about ordering this at first because of the other 2 bad reviews, but then I realized the reviews didn't really talk about the product quality, just that they didn't get what they thought they were getting. So, here is what I was hoping I was getting: 1. 9-inch screen 2. 4 hours of battery life 3. A clear screen 4. Good sound quality 5. An easy to use portable DVD player

That's it! It has what I was looking for at an excellent price! I don't think I could have been more pleased. The sound quality is great if you use halfway decent headphones. My son's only cost $20 and it sounds great with them. Just bear in mind that a portable DVD player isn't going to have the sound quality of a large TV. Although, it's still pretty good in my opinion.
1616 comments| 501 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 24, 2013
OVERVIEW:
-----------

We have been using Sony portable DVD players for many years and have always been very happy with them. This model has the usual GREAT PICTURE AND SOUND we expect.

Actual play time ranges from 3hrs (default) to 3hrs 50mins depending on backlight setting (at full screen). Realistically expect 3hrs 30mins at most since a backlight setting of 5 starts getting pretty low.

If considering the 7" version of this, I highly suggest spending the extra $20ish and get this one. The 9" screen alone is worth it.

It has a VERY SHORT CORD, past models cords were a full 2'+ longer than this one. The new cord port is incompatible with past ones so if you are replacing an older model, you can't use the older cord. Sony said they don't sell a long version of the new cord, if you find one from a third party company please note it in a comment :). You can always get an extension cord.

The Sony line-up has changed considerably. Gone are the mid-range models with 6 hour battery, 2 headphone ports, etc. They now just offer two very competent models including this one, as well as one with high-end features that is a $200ish affair (at the time of this review). I hope to see models with 6+ hour batteries in the mid-range again.

PROS:
------

- The usual GREAT PICTURE and SOUND of a Sony portable DVD player.

- 9" DISPLAY (diagonal) which is a much better size than 7". It also has a much higher resolution than the 7" model (800x480 vs. 480x234).

- Battery Times:
3.00 HOURS battery time with default backlight setting 10 out of 1-20 (full screen).
3.50 HOURS battery time with backlight setting 5 out of 1-20 (full screen).
3.80 HOURS battery time with backlight setting 1 out of 1-20 (full screen).

- Includes car lighter charging adapter.

- An A/V (Audio/Video) output port and extension adapter that allows this model to drive a display monitor or TV that accepts standard/composite (red/white/yellow), if that is useful to you.

- Includes REMOTE CONTROL, if that is important to you.

- Includes USB FLASH DRIVE PORT, if that is important to you.

- Sealed buttons which reduce the places junk can get into the main unit of the player to only the disc lid.

- As expected for Sony models, appears well built, HANDLING SHAKING ON THE ROAD very well. It is a simple, good-looking design with a hard shell. On average over the years our Sony models have each survived 2+ years with near daily use.

- Over many years with Sony's products I have found CUSTOMER SUPPORT to be top notch. That said, they couldn't answer two easy questions about the product since they didn't have the actual product available to anyone there, and twice they didn't send an email answering my questions they couldn't answer on the spot. Despite these customer support misfires, I have found them to be mostly excellent.

CONS:
------

- VERY SHORT CORD (3'2") compared to past Sony DVD portable players, which had cords some 2 feet or so longer than this one. This can often mean BATTERY DRAINAGE that was otherwise avoidable as sometimes you can't watch it and have it plugged in at the same time. Of course there is always extension cords.
C2G / Cables to Go 29929 Outlet Saver 16 AWG Power Extension Cord (2 Feet, Black)

- For some folks, the above battery times aren't enough and the disappearance of 6 hour battery models from the line-up makes this a bigger deal. They might consider the Sony Blu-ray/DVD portable player for a little more battery time even if they don't use blue-ray discs, however it's much more expensive. That player also has 2 headphone jacks and a flip swivel screen.
Sony BDPSX910 Portable Blu-ray Player

- In previous models you could Fast Forward and Fast Reverse with right/left arrows. This new model refresh instead only recognizes dual use of the skip buttons to cover FF/FR AND Skip, depending on the timing of the push. It is thus now easy to ACCIDENTALLY SKIP INSTEAD OF FF and vice verse. That said, you should be able to get used to it once you figure it out.

- I hate to bring this up since I am a loyal user of the Sony DVD players, however, if the design needs to be so stingy as to greatly shorten the cord, it makes one wonder where else money was saved that one can't see.

FEATURES ON SOME HIGHER END SONY MODELS:
----------------------------------------------

Before committing to this model, you might consider reviewing features available further up the Sony line:

- 3-3.5 hours BATTERY TIME is excellent for inexpensive players, however, you'll find 4.5+ hours at the high end. Some day 6+ hour battery models may return, too.

- This model has 1 headset port, the top end Sony Blu-Ray/DVD portable player has 2 HEADSET PORTS, and most previous models did, too.

- The top end Sony model's SCREEN CAN SWIVEL to face any direction.

LESSER CONS:
--------------

- The POWER CORD PLUG-IN PORT IS INCOMPATIBLE WITH MOST PREVIOUS MODELS' CORDS, so you can't use an old cord to overcome the very short cord with this model, and if you have several Sony DVD players in the house you can no longer mix and match cords.

- Doesn't charge while used (see below under "Tested").

TESTED:
--------

- The battery times at different backlight settings, results found in the PROS section above.

- Confirmed there is NO EXTRA BATTERY TIME FROM CHARGING AFTER YELLOW CHARGE LIGHT TURNS OFF.

- I semi-confirmed the claim that it mostly DOESN'T CHARGE WHILE PLAYING (but it keeps it from draining). More precisely, limited tests suggest it charges at a rate of roughly 1 min per 8 minutes of play time, so there might be very slight charging going on.

CORRECTIONS FOR REVIEWS:
----------------------------

- It RETURNS TO SAME SPOT YOU WERE WATCHING AFTER YOU TURN IT OFF AND ON. One review said you can't, this is incorrect.

- You CAN ADJUST COLOR, CONTRAST, Hue, and Backlight. One review may suggest you can't adjust the first two, this is incorrect. You can see the results of the adjustment, they work.

ACCESSORIES:
--------------

- To replace accessories call Sony at 1-800-282-2848.

USAGE NOTES:
--------------

- To SKIP FORWARD tap the 3rd button up on the skip forward icon once with a quick tap.

- To SKIP BACK tap the 3rd button up skip back icon twice with two quick taps.

- To FAST FORWARD hold your finger on the same skip forward button for a second or so. Do that again for more speed. Do that yet again for even more speed.

- To FAST BACK, it is the same as Fast Forward but with the skip back button.

Hope this helps someone :)
55 comments| 157 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 21, 2012
We have tried other brands of portable DVD players and they cannot compare to this. Of the 3 we have owned, This is by far the best. When traveling on rough road there's no skipping, the picture is beautiful, the sound is excellent. One of the best features is we could hook it up to the large HDTV in our hotel room in the evenings and watch movies using is like a regular DVD player at the house. I would recommend this to anyone.
22 comments| 268 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 16, 2013
For the most part, this is a great portable DVD player. DVD loads fast with no fuss. Great picture and sound. Touch sensitive controls work reasonably well, although I prefer the old buttons from the earlier models. Light weight, convenient and reliable.

But I have one BIG problem with mine. When the DVD is spinning, this thing buzzes like a chainsaw! The buzzing is so loud, I have to turn the volume way up just to hear the movie over the buzzing noise! And not only is the buzzing noise bad, but the vibration is just unacceptable. It shakes the crap out of anything you set it on. I've had mine for several months now and no matter what DVD I put in it, the buzzing and vibration is always there even though none of my other DVD players has this problem with any of my DVDs.

Sorry Sony, but this buzzing problem totally overshadows all the other good qualities of this DVD player and pretty much ruins the experience of watching a movie on this thing.

Also, the overall construction of the player just seems cheap and weak, not at the sturdy quality I've come to expect from Sony. And the power cord is only 3 feet long, WAY too short for people who regularly run this thing from the power cord. Need to double the length of the power cord.
on March 31, 2013
I looked at a bunch of portable DVD players before ordering this one. I was close to buying the older 7" Sony with dual headphone ports, but reviewers noted that you couldn't charge and use the player at the same time, so I spent the extra cash and got this newer model.

First, the cons: The AC charging cable for indoors is only about 3 feet long, far too short for any reasonable indoor viewing and charging. The touch-sensitive buttons can be tough to work with while riding in a car because you don't get that tactile feedback of a button press. And the device itself is poorly weighted. If you set it on the floor and open the clamshell, if the screen is at an angle any larger than 90° the player will rock back and lift the base off the ground. The screen seems to be heavier than the base and battery and doesn't feel very solid. There's also only one headphone port now instead of two, but you can get a two or three way splitter online for a few bucks. These cons don't take away much from the overall experience, however, and I only took away one star for them. Compared to many of the other players from no-name brands or Panasonic, the build quality and screen quality just seem so much better.

For the pros: Fantastic little screen. I didn't expect it to be so clear, and the resolution is surprisingly good for such a small and inexpensive device. The DVD settings are good and give you adjustable options like brightness, contrast, etc. there are a few different sound settings, I've found that Standard and Dynamic are both very good. Volume level is also good, and the sound quality is decent for the tiny speakers. You can always use headphones or plug a male to male cable into your car's AUX port and play the sound through the car speakers. The DVD tray is a push-open/push-close design and feels solid. The buttons are well designed, and while I do prefer actual buttons to these ones, at least any liquids won't get inside the buttons and ruin them. There is a Hold button to prevent button presses by you or a child, which helps. One big plus: the screen opens flat with the base, and is great for use like this with a player carrier in the car. It doesn't swivel or fold all the way back, but I found the full 180° opening to be perfect for our use and with the case we got. I can't comment on battery life yet, but if its sunny out and you have the brightness up, the battery won't last the 4 advertised hours. Just use the car charger and you'll be fine. The good news is that the car charger is about twice the length of the AC charger, so you can string it into the back seat if your accessory plug is only in the front seat. I ended up buying a Case Logic case/mount for the car that supports 7"-9" portable players and it works great; with four points of contact it's nice and stable. I think I'd recommend this player over the competition simply because I've had great luck with Sony DVD players and Blu-Ray players before and the build quality feels a lot better than the other ones around.
on October 21, 2012
If Sony wants to make a newer model of a DvD player, you would think they would improve it, not take away features. It is quite puzzling.
Pros: All sony players have much clearer picture quality than most other companies. That really is the most important feature. It also has the ability to fast forward, and rewind, not just skip chapters like many other players
Cons: They took away 3 features!!!!! 1) swivel screen 2) instead of 2 audio headphone jacks- which were on the previous model, they only put one, so if you take the player in the car with you, only one person could use headphones at a time, instead of 2 kids sharing it. 3)THe battery is not replaceable.
1919 comments| 366 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 29, 2015
DVD player was great for about 6 months. Great volume and picture but then it suddenly stopped reading my DVDs. I am glad I purchased the extra warranty for $9. I would probably buy a Sony again so long as I buy another extended warranty because Amazon's short 30 day return policy is not long enough with this player. Review update: No, I wouldn't buy this or any other Sony product again for a long time. Four Square, the insurance company, said Sony should fix or replace the machine since it has a year warranty. Sony refused and said that their warranty is just 90 days. I would need to get the unit fixed. So if you risk buying a Sony product, buy the independent insurance. And now, I downgrade my review to 1 star.
on January 20, 2014
I looked forward to receiving this player so that I could use it for a language dvd course. When it arrived ,I tried to charge it for the recommended four hours, but the unit did not work without being plugged into the wall. So, I tried to charge it over night, but had the same result. Having received the unit on Jan.15, I emailed Amazon on the 16th about the defective player.Today, on the 20th, I was given a response which directed me to the Sony Repair Site. After spending 1/2 hour on the phone , I was told that a replacement would be sent when they received the defective unit...but, I was responsible for the shipping costs in sending their bad player back to them! This is not good service..either from Sony or from Amazon! After being referred to another customer service division, it was finally resolved with Sony sending a postage paid label.It is ridiculous that it was necessary to have to argue for a prepaid shipping label for a player which arrived defective!
It is now Jan.26, and I have not received the shipping label from Sony. So, here I sit with a dvd player which was defective on arrival and no replacement for at least another 2 weeks.
It is now January 31, and even after more follow up phone calls, no shipping label has been emailed to me.I am thoroughly disgusted with Sony.
on December 2, 2013
I ordered this DVD player to replace an older 9 inch one I purchased at Walmart and used continuously for about 4 years until it recently wore out.

The description on Amazon states that this particular Sony DVD player is 9 inches in width. When I unpacked my player from the container and opened it, I noticed that the screen appeared significantly smaller than the screen of my old one which is exactly 9 inches in width. I measured the viewing part of this SONY DVD monitor and it measures 7.75 inches across. Since 7.75 < 9, therefore I rate this product 3 stars.

I checked the description on the box to make sure Amazon sent me the correct product. The description written on the box of this product states 9 inches. So I deduced SONY is at fault for misstating the screen dimensions. In spite of the size constraint, I kept this DVD player because I don't want the stress of having to send it back during the Christmas rush. However in the meantime, I recommend that Amazon restate this in the product description for prospective customer planning to purchase this. Also, due to the misstated description on the product container, I recommend Amazon contact the manufacture and request a recall be issued on this product. In the future, I will physically go into a store and analyze the product before making a purchase.

As far as performance, I have used this player for about a week now and it works fine. I will provide an update if anything adversely happens to it.

So much for the Christmas cheer!!
on November 19, 2014
Previous models of SONY's dvd players have been better. So in purchasing this one, there were some "trade offs".
The battery longevity was reduced from a 6 hour capacity to a 4 hour capacity. Please note that these numbers are always "pie in the sky" playing times. In reality 6 hours becomes about 4:15 AND a 4 hour battery actually lasts about 3:15.
The screen no longer swivels.
The input plug used for running on AC or charging the internal battery is no longer a common plug. I have tried all sorts of plug ends to make a battery cable and nothing fits in. Only Sony's AC charger and car battery adapter cables work because of their unusual tip.
I use external batteries in a plane to extend the playing time of my dvd player. This weird tip made it tough to build a cable until I finally butchered a car cable to get what I needed.
One the "plus" side:
This player accepts mp4 movies on a flash drive that can be plugged into a usb port.
The picture and volume are still better then anything you can get in a different brand.
Looks like dvd players in general are going to be extinct fairly soon. If your looking for a better quality player, you might consider this model before SONY drops the dvd player line altogether. That is basically why I purchased this myself. I have an extensive collection of movies and do use them on the long trips that I take each year.