Buy Used and Save: Buy a Used "Sony HDR-AS15 Action Video Camera (Black) (Discont..." and save 63% off the $269.99 list price. Buy with confidence as the condition of this item and its timely delivery are guaranteed under the "Amazon A-to-z Guarantee". See all Used offers.
2-Year Multi-Device Protection Planfrom Assurant
- Plan covers all electronics purchased (Mobile Phones Excluded) within 12 months of purchase of the plan
- Click on "Learn More" or see below to view the full list of products covered
- Eligible products are covered for 2 years from the purchase of the plan with $500 in total claim benefits
- Protects against drops, spills, and cracks immediately, and mechanical breakdown after the manufacturer's warranty expires
- $0 deductible. Cancel anytime. See full Terms and Conditions for details
Sony HDR-AS15 Action Video Camera (Black) (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
|Price:||$169.99 & FREE Shipping. Details|
Fulfillment by Amazon (FBA) is a service we offer sellers that lets them store their products in Amazon's fulfillment centers, and we directly pack, ship, and provide customer service for these products. Something we hope you'll especially enjoy: FBA items qualify for FREE Shipping and .
If you're a seller, Fulfillment by Amazon can help you increase your sales. We invite you to learn more about Fulfillment by Amazon .
- Enter your model number to make sure this fits.
- Compact, rugged Wi-Fi enabled HD video action camcorder
- High quality Full HD 1080p recording
- Ruggedized, waterproof housing 1with universal tripod mount included
Frequently bought together
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
Special offers and product promotions
Have a question?
Find answers in product info, Q&As, reviews
Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.
|Included Components||NP-BX1 Rechargeable Lithium-Ion Battery Pack, Wate|
|Item Dimensions||2.8 x 6.7 x 4 inches|
|Item Weight||0.5 pounds|
|Lithium Battery Energy Content||2 Watt Hours|
|Lithium Battery Voltage||2 Volts|
|Lithium Battery Weight||0.3 ounces|
|Media Format Digital Video||SD|
|Optical Sensor Resolution||16.8 MP|
|Optical Sensor Technology||CMOS|
|Shipping Weight||0.9 pounds|
|Video Capture Format||mpeg-4;h.264|
|Video Capture Resolution||1080p_hd|
Compare to similar items
This item Sony HDR-AS15 Action Video Camera (Black) (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Sony HDRAS20/B Action Video Camera
Sony FDR-X1000V/W 4K Action Cam
Polaroid XS100i Wi-Fi Extreme Edition HD 1080p 16MP Waterproof Sports Action Video Camera With Full Mounting Kit Included
Contour+2 Video Camera
Sony HD Video Recording HDRCX405 Handycam Camcorder
|Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping|
|Sold By||Happybabies||Green's Camera World||Video & Audio Center||Amazon.com||GOSAVER||Amazon.com|
|Screen Size||—||2 in||2 in||0 in||—||2.7 in|
|Optical Sensor Technology||CMOS||CMOS||—||CMOS||Still Photo||CMOS|
|Video Capture Resolution||1080p_hd||1080p_hd||4K||1080p||1920 x 1080||1080p_hd|
Relive the glory of every hardcore, gravity-defying moment in legendary Sony quality and share it wirelessly over Wi-Fi. No other mountable POV camera combines Carl Zeiss optics with a rugged exterior that welcomes mud, snow and water. So no matter what you do-snowboard, surf, skate, bike-record it all in HD and share your shredding with the world.
From the Manufacturer
Relive the glory of every hardcore, gravity-defying moment in legendary
Sony quality and share it wirelessly over Wi-Fi®.1 No other mountable
POV camera combines Carl Zeiss® optics with a rugged exterior that
welcomes mud, snow and water. So no matter what you do—snowboard,
surf, skate, bike—record it all in HD and share your shredding with the world.
|Share the action instantly.||It's tough like you.||High quality HD 1080p recording.|
Share that epic run, killer move or winning score with built-in Wi-Fi®.1 Use your smartphone to frame shots and share your footage on the fly. The Sony HDR-AS15 Action Cam easily connects to Wi-Fi enabled mobile phones and tablets running the free PlayMemories
Push it. Dunk it. The Sony HDR-AS15 Action Cam may be light and compact, but it's built to go hard. It's just over 3 ounces (with battery) and it's rugged case can handle the bumps and scrapes wherever you go. If that happens to include water, the HDR-AS15 Action Cam is also waterproof up to 197 feet.
Capture every move, trick and action-packed second in full, 1920x1080 HD resolution. When done, simply connect your Sony HDR-AS15 Action Cam via HMDI® to any compatible HDTV for playback that's as close to reliving the real thing as it gets.4
incredible entertainment quality. Explore the full range of features and options below.
|Compact, rugged HD video |
The Sony® HDR-AS15 Action Cam is a rugged, wearable full HD video camcorder. Weighing in at just 90grams (w/ battery) this compact, lightweight unit allows you to capture your adventures on the mountain, in the water, and anywhere else life may take you as the action happens.
High quality Full HD
The Sony® HDR-AS15 Action Cam offers 1920 x 1080 high definition resolution letting you record your memories in exceptional Full High Definition quality. Capable of 60p recording and playback via HDMI® and compatible HDTV4 providing stunning clarity and incredibly detailed and smoother playback of your memories.
Ruggedized, waterproof housing
with universal tripod mount
The Sony® HDR-AS15 Action Cam ships with a ruggedized, waterproof housing with universal tripod mount that is built to handle extreme environments, allowing you to concentrate on safety and composition while capturing Full HD videos. Within the housing, the camera is waterproof down to 197 feet and has dirt and dust resistant seals that help make it nearly impervious to mud, snow, rain, and grime.2
Share via Connected Phone/Tablet
Wi-Fi®-enabled mobile phones and tablets running the free PlayMemories Mobile™ application3 can pull optimized movies and photos from the Sony HDR-AS15 camera without requiring a special cable. Once copied, you can use your available 3G and 4G cell networks to upload your memories and share them via email or social media networks.
| SteadyShot® image stabilization reduces blur |
SteadyShot® image stabilization with Active Mode compensates for greater degrees of camera shake to deliver stunningly smooth video from wide angle to full telephoto shooting. In addition, innovative 3-Way Shake-Canceling adds electronic roll stability for even smoother video capture.
Ultra wide angle Carl Zeiss® Lens
With an ultra-wide angle Carl Zeiss® Vario-Tessar® lens, you will increase your perspective (170-degree viewing angle) while you venture out on breathtaking views of dynamic terrain to include ski slopes and mountain trails.
4x Slow Motion video mode in HD
Extreme sports athletes and enthusiasts will enjoy HD SLOW 2x (1280 x 720, 60p) and HD SLOW 4x (1280 x 720, 120p) that shoot slow motion, which is ideal for studying and refining form and technique. For traditional shooting methods, the camcorder also offers several different resolutions to suit your needs: shoots in Full HD (1920x1080 30p), STD HD (1280x720, 30p), SD VGA (640x480, 30p).
Exmor® R CMOS Sensor
Experience stunning low-light sensitivity with improved image clarity and drastically reduced grain with Sony’s back-illuminated Exmor® R CMOS sensor. Designed for compact cameras and camcorders, the Exmor® R CMOS sensor relocates the photo diodes above the support circuitry, maximizing the light gathering area per pixel so you can shoot with better results in lower lighting conditions.
|Simply "Press-n-Go" |
Operation of the Sony® HDR-AS15 is as simple as pressing a large, easy-to-press start/stop button. Just press the button and you’re shooting the adventure of a lifetime.
Memory Stick Micro™ and
Micro SD/SDHC compatible
The Sony® HDR-AS15 Action Cam features a memory card slot that accepts Memory Stick Micro™ (M2) and Micro SD/SDHC Memory Card (class 4 or higher) type memory cards. Enjoy the flexibility and convenience of expandable memory via the memory card (sold separately) that is most convenient and offers maximum compatibility with the computers he or she uses the most.
Built-In stereo mic
A built-in stereo microphone allows you to capture all the exciting sounds of your adventure.
HDMI output for easy file transfer
With HDMI® output, you’ll be able to share your Sony® HDR-AS15 Action Cam video with friends and family on your HDTV (HDMI cable required/not included).
Secure on flat and curved surfaces w/ 2 adhesive mounts
Hands-free shooting is at your disposal. Mount your Sony® HDR-AS15 Action Cam easily and securely to flat and curved surfaces with included adhesive mounts.
Read about our customers' top-rated camcorders on our review page: Camcorders
Top customer reviews
If you are OK with the following limitations of the Sony Action Cam, this little Sony Cam is absolutely fantastic. Otherwise, I would go with GoPro Hero 2 or Hero 3 Silver Edition.
1. CANNOT RECORD SOUND in 60/120FPS modes. Not that I value sound from any Action Cams inside a case, but no sound can be a deal breaker for some.
2. Underwater footage is much worse than GoPro Hero2 in terms of color (Mainly Sony auto white balance does not work underwater). The case of the Sony Action Cam also has a curve lens, so it cannot focus underwater. Sony will release the door pack that includes the flat lens dive door.
3. Severe Lens flare. Some lens flare can be a good visual effect. I am OK with it if the flare is not too much, but Sony cam often washes out some colors under certain conditions.
I do not record any action cameras in 1080P/30FPS mode since CMOS jello effects can be very pronounced in fast action scenes. So I record most clips in 720P 60FPS. The problem is that Sony records 60/120FPS footage without sound and output videos as 30FPS. I do not mind the output frame rate, but the sound should be there.
Sony underwater AWB does not function properly yet. I do not believe Sony adjusted the camera for underwater usage. The color is very strange. Too green, too blue, and a bit noisy.
If you do not mind these issues, then this is the camera to get because
1. The Zeiss Lens is absolutely the sharpest among all action cams out in the market right now
2. The SteadyShot is just unbelievable. I was not a big fan of an electronic image stabilization, but this one really works!
3. Colors produced by the image processor is very natural. The tonal curve is flat, so it is much easier to post process.
4. The lens is wider than GoPro Hero2 or GoPro Hero3 Silver Edition and much less fish eye (Less distortion)
5. Low light performance is better than GoPro Hero2 or GoPro Hero3 Silver Edition.
6. The Noise Reduction works really well.
7. Very smooth motion.
8. Lower price.
9. The case is high quality.
10. The case has a standard tripod thread.
11. The case latch is pretty solid. It should not pop open like the GoPro Hero2 one. Hero3 case is very solid BTW.
Other minor issues that you may want to know (could be major issues for some)
1. It cannot stand on its own without the case. The bottom of the camera is round, so it falls down on its side.
2. I wish Sony added two more buttons on the case. This is not the Wifi version. I cannot change any settings once the cam is inside the case. I can easily change settings in GoPro though.
3. Not so compact with the case.
4. Unrealistic blue sky. It can be attractive, but to me, it is way too artificial.
5. No battery can be added to extend recording time
6. All input/output ports on the bottom of the cam. I do not know how I can use any ports including the Mic input simply because it cannot be used with the case. Also the cam cannot stand without the case, so I have no idea how to use the mic input or other ports while recording.
7. No dedicated photo mode like GoPro. It has the interval (timelapse) mode where photos are limited to 1920x1080.
8. Slower start up time.
9. No adjustable beep volume on Start/Stop button. I need louder beep sound from the cam to acknowledged record start/stop when my recording environment is noisy.
10. No underwater focus solution has been released yet. Sony will release the flat lens door in November as a part of the door pack. The pack will cost around $50.
11. CA (Purple fringing) is pretty bad around corners especially in high contrast situations.
12. I could be wrong, but I do not see PAL 25/50FPS options. Not that I care for my use.
The reasons why I did not get the Wifi version:
1. Higher price of course
2. I cannot use Phones or Tablets to adjust the cam underwater or in extreme environment anyway.
3. More battery consumption
If I use the cam more above water, then I would get the Wifi version.
I did not include GoPro Hero3 White Edition into this review because it would not be comparable that the white edition is the same old technology as Hero1.
Sony Action Cam's video IQ, SteadyShot, and image processor was the best among other competitors on land footage before Hero3 Black Edition came out. There are minor issues, but if Sony includes sound for 60fps and fix the underwater AWB, then I would go all the way with Sony Action Cam if you cannot afford Hero3 Black Edition.
If you can afford GoPro Hero3 Black Edition, here is why I like the Black edition better.
1. Better noise reduction under low light
2. More compact body with many mounting options
3. Sharper and detail image from higher resolution modes
4. Higher FPS and better low light from 120FPS at 720P
5. More accurate color and exposure
6. Less CA(purple fringing) and far less lens flares
7. Adjustable White Balance
8. Included Flat lens case for underwater
9. Much better Auto white balance underwater
10. Sound can be recorded at 60/120/240 FPS modes
Although I like the Hero3 Black better, I miss these Sony features.
1. Much longer battery life at all recording modes
2. SteadyShot is unbelievable
3. Less buggy
4. Nicer beep sound
I speak from what I've seen with no techie jargon. Sony's action cam is a lot smaller
size relationship compared to a Contour which I had on loan for a month.
Sony's battery life is a lot longer, low light performance, and audio is far superior
to the GoPro White Edition and probably better then the Black Edition too. Battery
life is almost twice to my Heroes.
These action cams with stock lens are strictly POV (point of view) cameras,
what your eye sees is about the same size is what you'll see recorded. Keep that
in mind when shooting there's no zoom for drawing attention to content expansion.
I did the 2.0 Sony upgrade with the water scene option and cannot find any major faults like
my GoPros before I upgraded their software. GoPro 3s locked up and had to pull the battery
to reboot the system back working order.
Sony's Steady Shot menu option does help.
Watching raw QuickTime footage I give the edge to this camera.
I did buy the Sony add on doors with a new door that lets in sound and the underwater lens
for 48 bucks here at Amazon. Sony's sound it impressive after using Hero 3s. But it's a long
ways from a great sound track you can be proud of.
I'm far happier with my Amazon Sony Action Cam (non wifi) then the bucks I laid out for Hero 3s. Are Sony's the end all, be all? ...no, but $178 is not going to buy paradise in the video world.
Uploaded a short raw test clip shot in extreme low light with the sun setting on Lk. Michigan.
This was one of the first times I used AS10 SHOT AT 30 FRAMES PER SECOND full HD 1080.
Sound quality is to the low side is at least 3 times better then GoPro performance.
AS10 sound tracks are rich and full outside the water proof housing. Color is richer
than an my white and black edition Hero 3s.
Audio quality is something GoPro seemed to have forgot about. Low light is superior too,
better then my $399 black version Hero 3. Battery life is far longer too.
I now own 4 of the HDR AS10s and regret spending a grand on GoPro stuff.
Multiple cameras are needed to capture on-board action from above and below the water.
Optional case with the rather large video display I do recommend, along with the
additional doors for underwater filming. When you purchase these doors, there's one
that lets in more sound still staying water proof for a short distance down. Think, but
check first, the waterproof sound door was good to 30'
The AS10 can gather enough light to video a 140' deep on my down rigger camera.
Granted, it's grainy that deep down. Same circumstance GoPro white ceases to gather enough light to
make video and the image goes entirely black around 80' deep.
Short clip of test footage I posted was shot in the very last light of day. The quality of
Amazon's video compression does not do the original test footage justice appearing far darker than it actually is. Sound track is flawless and that's where the AS10 beats GoPro hands down
and going away.
I know there's video techie geek speaks with fancy jargon to tear down anything.
My eyes and ears have proved to me this is the way to go for action cams.
Prices range a lot at Amazon depending on the time of day. Recently bought a AS10 at 4:00am
paying 139. Bought during normal business hours and paid over 160. Purchasing during
the "off-hours" will save you money at Amazon. Which has the best service, best shipping
and best return policy of any company selling stuff on the web.