Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Listen for a chance to win STEM Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon soul2soul soul2soul soul2soul  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on March 2, 2013
This camera is amazing. It is one of the best cameras I have ever owned. I searched for a long time to find a camera with the capabilities that this camera has. This camera is true full high-def! This camera performs like a $10,000 camera. This camera is capable of doing underwater photography, still shots and high-definition video and performing all three of those functions superbly. It is very lightweight and hand-held friendly. The display is amazing and large for easy viewing. I don't know if Sony's sales of this camera were very numerous. It was very hard to find this camera and I did not find it on Sony's webpage. I visited a local camera shop and they were the ones that found that it existed, but they did not have it available on their shelf either. I bought it on Amazon. I think this is truly one of the most underrated cameras and unknown cameras on the market. We bought it for our 10 day Florida Keys vacation in February 2013. The camera performed excellent in lowlight night shots and in the superbright days. We have a high-def television (Samsung 60" 8000 smart tv- also excellent) at home and watching the videos and looking at the pictures that we took made us so happy that this was the camera that we chose. It seemed like we were there again and in 3D. I am truly not the best review writer and in fact this is one of the few that I've ever written, but we are so happy with this camera I had to write it. I hope Sony continues to make this line camera. We were in Key West and we went to the butterfly sanctuary and it was unbelievable the detail of the flowers, the birds, and the butterflies that this camera took (both stills and video). Upon review you could actually see the tongues of the butterflies as they sipped nectar nectar from flowers. At our resort, while using it in the pool, I was approached by numerous fellow guests inquiring about the camera. They were all amazed that you could take this camera into the water and on dry land. I allowed a few people to use it and they were amazed at the clarity on the screen of the display on the camera itself. Reviewing our videos at home on our television it was also amazing how good the microphone picked up sound, we thought it would not do as well as most cameras because it was waterproof but this ended up not being the case in our benefit. The microphone worked excellent. A negative is the button that controls the telephoto to bring it to zoom in and out on objects could be a little easier to use. I took my children snuba diving which is a combination of snorkeling/scuba diving. You can go down up to 20 feet of water. I never exceeded the 16 foot maximum but I did take the camera to what I felt comfortable was 12 to 14 feet. The video upon review was excellent and the camera also held up without any flaws. I read a few other people's reviews here and I do not understand their complaints. I am not a professional photographer but this camera also does not cost what a professional camera costs. I found it to be a truly amazing camera and if you are like me and willing to spend about $500 this camera will be your best purchase I guarantee it. The still photos were excellent, and a neat feature allows you to take still pictures as you're recording video. Unfortunately you can't do it on full high-def. You should buy the optional wall charger. Do not buy the optional semi hard case that Sony sells. The case is a really bad product and has nowhere to store an extra battery or anything else. Save your money and just buy a generic case that fits this camera. The final thing I will say is that from the moment we used it, being unsophisticated camera people, we found it super easy and functional. The SD-card system is one of the best inventions that we have ever had as this is our first video camera that uses an SD card versus digital tapes.
20 helpful votes
21 helpful votes
11 comment|Report abuse
Had to return this. Don't get me wrong I like Sony a lot and a fan, however for some reason this Handycam has a lot of glitches for some reason; the screen has like a flicker of some sort and I would think the quality would be better for the price. I also hate seeing people use Ipad to record or take pics because I'm an artist but I would use the Ipad before I use this handycam again. I believe I bought this before the mirrorless came out but now that I've had the chance to write something, I would recommend the Sony mirrorless instead of this piece of junk.
on September 29, 2013
... be SURE it has an ENGLISH display! While the English/international versions do have multiple language displays, the ones with JAPANESE displays are ONLY in Japanese. What's more, there are Japanese sellers here who will TRY to sell you their Japanese Handycam!!

And DON'T buy if it's over $700+/-. Don't get me wrong, this is/was a GREAT cam' especially when you consider it was one of the very FEW that was water/dust/shock-proof AND could output some very high quality video ALL in one very compact unit!!! For me, the "underwater" feature was always more of a safety feature than a selling point, so any gripes I heard about disabled touch-screen features were irrelevant for me. Sure, I might use it underwater to record a few things, but I thought of it as a possibility, in practice, I like the idea of being able to take it ANYWHERE and not worry.
4 helpful votes
5 helpful votes
on July 18, 2013
I bought this camera to replace my Sony HDR-TG1, which for some reason stopped taking stills. I loved the TG1 but wished there was more to it: Like being waterproof, a brighter LCD Screen, Internal Memory and most importantly, Sony's G lens. I got most of what I asked for. Like some of the other reviewers said, this camcorder had so much potential. Sony just didn't do it justice.

Firstly it takes stunning 1080P video. With it's 29.8mm G lens it is awesome. One of the complaints I had with the TG-1 was that while other Sony units got the G lens, the TG-1 did not. You really had to back up far sometimes to get everything in the shot. The optics are flawless, even underwater. The screen is definitely brighter, but not bright enough for direct sunlight. GPS is also fantastic. I haven't had the terrible battery experience as others but it definitely is not as good as the TG-1. It's Achilles heal is.....the still camera. 20.4MP? No way, no how. I saw another reviewer said it is 5mp blown up which I knew about before I bought it. It clearly showed on Sony's website that the sensor is 5MP. I just don't know why they advertise it as 20.4. It isn't. It is really no better than my TG-1, except that it works. The artifacts are just too much. My Galaxy S4 takes much better pictures. The Sony does have an easy interface,

One thing to note: Sony must have realized how poor some features of this camera are. They took it off the market less than a year from its launch.

If you want a waterproof camcorder that takes stunning video, this is it. If the still camera is very important to you, wait until the next generation.
11 comment|Report abuse
on August 25, 2016
Excellent HD - BLU-RAY mini handicam. I still have it to the date, and are superior to any smartphone camera video. It has a really good optical zoom, videos are butter smooth. The only issue I can think of is make sure your PC can handle playing or working with the AVCHD files. They are large, require a good PC with at least a quad-core, and up to date video player software that supports sony video. An excellent overall product. Haven't had any problems or issues so far to this date.
on January 12, 2013
Great product so far. Amazing picture quality in both camera and video. Video easily converts to other formats (I use AVS software). Very light. Takes a bit to get used to how best to hold it. Controls on screen and on camera. The only two drawbacks is the screen brightness and the lens cover. In bright conditions, it can be difficult to almost impossible to see the screen, and thus, what you're trying to shoot - Sony should know better. The camera is waterproof and dust proof (haven't been underwater and don't plan on it, but for outdoor activities (rain, dust, etc) it's great. The protective lens should be protected and cleaned with a lens cloth. I haven't scratched it yet, but if it does (small scratches probably wouldn't be picked up), I'm not sure if it can be replaced except by the factory?? If your going to use the zoom feature a lot, as I do, I suggest a second battery. A bit pricey, but the combination image and video quality outperforms most other handhelds and is much more compact.
on August 12, 2013
Camera takes great quality pictures and video. I used it to walk the Appalachian Trail, so I put it through a lot and it held up through the whole season. Though it's waterproof and very durable, mine has shut down in the rain before, probably because water got in the battery. Can't really use under water because the screen has to be shut in order to film, so this camera is not for underwater shooting. Also for the money could have a stronger zoom which some cheaper cameras have. The one thing I like least about this camera is that there is no lens cover or any way to protect the lens from being scratched, so there is a potential disaster, though it did not happen to me.
on March 10, 2013
I red many reviews about this and before i bought it and this is what think of it. I went to cancun and had a great time with it. The quality of it is awesome with out doubt, it is water proof for sure. went snorkeling with it for over an hour and got videos that are so clear it looks like you are there. the battery is not the best it ran out right after the snorkeling so id get another battery. the memory is 3 hours with out buying memory card. over all i am very pleased am i am glad i bought this. works great under water and thats what i wanted, run just as well under as above.
3 helpful votes
on January 1, 2013
This camcorder is very convenient to carry around and thus it's always available. That's important. My iPhone works very well but you need light. This handycam can be used in low light situations so it is more utilizable. I do find myself constantly wiping the front lens of fingerprints, yes there is no front cover. If you are at a long all day event and will have it on most of the time get a spare battery.
on December 26, 2014
This Sony pocket camcorder has only Japanese Operating Instructions - the camcorder menus & instructions are in Japanese and the Operation Booklet is also in Japanese language only ........ NO English instructions anywhere. Not possible to use this HDR-GW77V/L unless you can understand this language.
0Comment|Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.