Buy Used and Save: Buy a Used "Sony HDRCX240/B Video Camera with 2.7-Inch LCD (Bl..." and save 56% off the $229.99 list price. Buy with confidence as the condition of this item and its timely delivery are guaranteed under the "Amazon A-to-z Guarantee". See all Used offers.
Other Sellers on Amazon
+ Free Shipping
+ Free Shipping
+ Free Shipping
Sony HDRCX240/B Video Camera with 2.7-Inch LCD (Black) (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
|You Save:||$34.00 (15%)|
- Enter your model number to make sure this fits.
- 1920x1080 Full HD 60p with 9.2MP Exmor R CMOS Sensor
- 29.8mm wide angle Carl Zeiss Lens
- 27x Optical/54x Clear Image Zoom to get even closer to the action
- The item uses a micro SD card
There is a newer model of this item:
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
Special offers and product promotions
|Item Dimensions||3.5 x 4.72 x 6.3 inches|
|Item Weight||1.15 pounds|
|Lithium Battery Energy Content||2 Watt Hours|
|Lithium Battery Voltage||5 Volts|
|Lithium Battery Weight||3.5 ounces|
|Media Format Digital Video||Other|
|Media Type||Micro SD|
|Optical Sensor Technology||CMOS|
|Shipping Weight||2.16 pounds|
|Video Capture Format||mpeg-4;h.264;avchd|
|Video Capture Resolution||1080p_hd|
Compare to similar items
This item Sony HDRCX240/B Video Camera with 2.7-Inch LCD (Black) (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Canon VIXIA HF R700 Camcorder (Black) B019UDIL80
|Shipping||$5.99||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping|
|Sold By||HappyTrade||Amazon.com||33 Street Camera||Amazon.com|
|Screen Size||2.7 in||2.7 in||3 in||2.7 in|
|Optical Sensor Technology||CMOS||CMOS||CMOS||CMOS|
|Video Capture Resolution||1080p_hd||1080p_hd||—||1080p_hd|
Make it memorable with Sony Full HD/60p quality. Capture amazing footage in low light and control, transfer and backup everything via Wi-Fi with NFC in just a touch. Get close to the action with a 27x zoom, wide-angle Carl Zeiss lens and say goodbye to shake with Steady Shot image stabilization. It"s the perfect starter camera.
From the Manufacturer
Entry Level Full HD 60p Camcorder
Make it memorable with Sony Full HD/60p quality. Capture amazing footage in low light and control, transfer and backup everything via Wi-Fi with NFC in just a touch. Get close to the action with a 27x zoom, wide-angle Carl Zeiss lens and say goodbye to shake with Steady Shot image stabilization. It’s the perfect starter camera.
1920x1080 Full HD 60p w/9.2MP Exmor R CMOS Sensor
Create high definition 1920 x 1080 60p videos and high quality 9.2MP still images. Experience stunning low-light sensitivity with improved image clarity and drastically reduced grain with Sony’s back-illuminated ExmorR CMOS sensor. Designed for compact cameras and camcorders, the Exmor R CMOS sensor relocates the photo diodes above the support circuitry, maximizing the light gathering area per pixel so you can shoot with better results in lower lighting conditions.
29.8mm wide angle Carl Zeiss Lens
From the authority in lens technology, the Carl Zeiss Vario-Tessar lens provides a high quality 29.8mm wide angle so you can get everything you want in the shot.
27x Optical/54x Clear Image Zoom to get even closer to the action
Get amazingly close with 27x optical zoom plus 54x Clear Image digital zoom. Most digital zooms use electronic cropping to get closer to the subject, resulting in unsharp images. With Clear Image Zoom the powerful processor compares patterns found in adjacent pixels and creates new pixels to match selected patterns, resulting in more realistic, higher-quality images. Clear Image Zoom doubles optical zoom for closer photos and video.
2.7” Clear Photo LCD display (230K)
The 2.7” (16:9) Clear Photo LCD (230K) displays sharp, bright, vivid images, letting you compose a shot more easily - even outdoors, while enabling you to change settings to best represent the scene.
SteadyShot image stabilization w/ Active Mode
SteadyShot image stabilization with Active Mode compensates for greater degrees of camera shake to deliver stunningly smooth video from wide angle to full telephoto shooting. In addition, innovative 3-Way Shake-Canceling adds electronic roll stability for even smoother video capture
Face Detection with voice enhancement and noise reduction
Sony’s Face Detection technology can automatically distinguish between children and adults. Face Detection technology detects up to eight individual faces and adjusts flash, focus, exposure, and white balance to help deliver crisp, properly lit images of family and friends.
Built-in USB cable for easy file transfer/charge
The high-speed, built-in USB 2.0 cable allows for easy connection to your computer for charging or file transfer without having to remember separate cables. It also fits conveniently into the hand strap so it’s out of the way until you need it. Charging your camcorder is faster than ever now through the USB; for every two minutes of charge time you get one minute of recording time.
Get creative w/ 7 picture effects for video and still photos
Picture Effects add a new level of expression to video and photos, making ordinary landscapes and portraits come to life by heightening mood and emphasizing certain attributes. There are seven different effects such as partial color to make your focal point stand out, or watercolor which looks like a painting.
AVCHD and MP4 dual recording for high quality and Internet ready files
Record HD video in the AVCHD and MP4 formats for highest quality or easy transfer and sharing. AVCHD provides premium video that can be enjoyed on large screen HDTVs, and is ideal for capturing precious memories at special occasions, family vacations and other moments you want to treasure for a lifetime. MP4 is great for those moments that you want to quickly share on your social networks or store on the cloud.
Intelligent Auto (60 different scene combinations possible)
Intelligent Auto mode goes a step beyond traditional auto modes by analyzing your shot and then automatically selecting the appropriate settings from ten distinct scene modes and wind noise reduction. There are 60 different combinations possible: Portrait, Baby, Tripod , Backlight, Landscape, Spotlight, Twilight, Macro, Low light.
- Imaging Sensor:1/5.8'' (4.6mm) back-illuminated Exmor R CMOS Sensor
- Processor:BIONZ X image processor
- Pixel Gross:Approx.2510K pixels
- Effective Picture Resolution:Approx.2290K pixels(16:9)/Approx.1710K pixels(4:3)
- Color Filter System:RGB primary color filters
- Still Image Mode:JPEG
- Still Image Max Effective Resolution:9.2 megapixels
- Still Image Size 16:9:Movie Mode: 9.2 megapixels 16:9 (4032x2272); Photo Mode: 9.2 megapixels 16:9 (4032x2272)
- Still Image Size 4:3:Photo Mode: 6.9megapixels 4:3(3024x2272)
- Video Mode:HD: MPEG4-AVC / H.264 AVCHD 2.0 format.compatible; STD: MPEG2-PS; MP4: MPEG-4 AVC/H.264
- Video Resolution:HD:1920x1080/60p(PS),60i(FX,FH), 1440x1080/60i(HQ,LP)
- Video Actual (Pixel):Approx.2290K pixels(16:9)
- Video Signal:HDTV, NTSC color, EIA standards
- Photo Capture from Movie:2.1megapixels16:9 (1920×1080)
- Dual Record:Yes
- Microphone/Speaker:Built-in Zoom Microphone/Monoral Speaker
- Dual Video Recording:Yes
- Mic Level Control:Yes (2steps)
- Movie Recording Rate(Average Bit Rate/VBR):HD PS:Approx.28Mbps/FX:Approx.24Mbps/FH:Approx.17Mbps/HQ:Approx.9Mbps/LP:Approx.5MbpsMP4: Approx.3Mbps
- Still Image File Format:DCF Ver.2.0 compatible, Exif Ver.2.3 compatible, MPF Baseline compatible
- Lens Type:Carl Zeiss Vario Tessar
- Lens Stabilization:SteadyShot image stabilization w/ Active mode (Wide to Tele)
- Optical Zoom:27x
- Digital Zoom:320x
- Focal Length (35mm equivalent):Movie Mode: 29.8-804.0mm (16:9); Photo Mode: 29.8-804.0mm (16:9), 36.4-984.0.0mm (4:3)
- Minimum Focus Distance:Approx.1cm(Wide),Approx.80cm(Tele) (13/32inch-31 1/2inch)
- Clear Image Zoom:54x
- LCD Type:2.7" Clear Photo LCD display (230K)
- Angle Adjustment:Opening Angle: max.90 deg., Turning Angle: max.270 deg.
- Brightness Control:Yes (Menu)
- Grid Display:Grid Line
- Focus System:Contrast AF
- AF Modes:Auto/Manual
- Focus Area:Full range Focus
- Metering Modes:Multi-segment
- Exposure Settings:Auto, Manual (Menu)
- Scene Mode(s):Auto / Night Scene / Sunrise & Sunset / Fireworks / Landscape / Portrait / Spotlight / Beach / Snow
- D-Range Optimizer:Yes
- Noise Reduction:Yes
- White Balance Mode:Auto / Onepush / Outdoor / Indoor
- Minimum Illumination:Standard: 6 lux (1/30 Shutter Speed); Low Lux: 3 lux (1/30 Shutter Speed)
- Auto Iris Control:F1.8 - F10
- Backlight Compensation:Yes (Auto)
- Gain Control:Auto
- LOW LUX Mode:Yes
- Drive Mode:Photo Mode: Single-shot / Self-timer
- Self-timer:Approx. 10sec. (Still Image)
- Shutter Speeds:Shutter Speed(Standard): 1/60 - 1/10000; Shutter Speed (Auto Control Range) 1/8 - 1/100000; Shutter Speed(Manual lris Control) 1/60 - 1/10000; Shutter Speed(Manual Shutter) 1/8 - 1/10000; Shutter Speed(Smooth Slow Rec): 1/250 - 1/10000
- Manual / Auto Lens Cover:Manual
- Self Timer:Yes
- Red-Eye Reduction:Yes (On/Off)
- Fader Effect(s):White / Black
- Date / Time Stamp:Yes (Rec Date and Time, Camera info)
- Erase/Protect:Yes / Yes
- Media/Battery Indicator:Yes (recordable time, free and used media space) / Yes (recordable time, remaining capacity)
- Power Save Mode:Yes
- Still Image Playback Options:Slide Show
- Video Playback Options:Highlight Playback (HD Movie Only); Highlight Playback Save and Share (Translate into STD quality); Highlight Scenario (Save/Playback/Erase); Hightlight BGM (Preinstalled 4 music files, Music transfer)
- Built-in USB Cable:Yes (USB Charge Available)
- Multiple Language Display:English; Brazilian Portugese; Canadian French; Spanish
- Picture Effects:Yes
- Self Recording:Yes
- AGC Limit:Yes
- Airplane Mode:Yes
- Face Detection:Yes
- Image Stabilization:SteadyShot image stabilization w/ Active mode (Wide to Tele)
- Intelligent Auto:Portrait / Baby / Tripod / Backlight / Landscape / Spotlight / Twilight / Macro / Low light
- Smile Shutter technology:Dual Capture / Always On / Off
- Memory Card Slot:Memory Stick Micro and Micro SD/SDHC/SDXC compatible
- SD Output:Composite Video Out (AV CABLE (sold separately))
- HD Output:HDMI Out (micro)(supplied)
- USB Port(s):TypeA (built-in) / USB2.0 Hi-speed (mass-storage/MTP)
- BRAVIA Sync:Yes
- PhotoTV HD:Yes
- Headphone Jack:Stereo Minijack
- Microphone Input:Stereo Minijack
- Direct Copy:Yes
- HDMI Terminal:Yes (HDMI micro)
- Dimensions (Approx.):Approx. 2 1/4 inch ×2 3/8 inch ×5 1/8 inch (Approx. 54.0mm×59.5mm×128.0mm)
- Weight (Approx.):Approx.6.7oz (Approx.190g) Main Unit Only
- Power Consumption (in Operation):LCD: HD:1.8W
- Power Requirements:3.6V (battery pack); 5.0V (AC Adapter)
- Battery Type:NP-BX1
- Supplied Software:PC: PlayMemories Home and Music Transfer (via download); MAC: Music Transfer, PlayMemories Online Uploader, Wireless Auto Import (by download)
- Operating System Compatibility:Windows XP SP3 /Windows Vista SP2 /Windows7 64-bit editions and Starter (Edition) are not supported. The Windows Image Mastering API (IMAPI) Ver. 2.0 or later is required to use the function for creating discs. Starter (Edition) are not supported. Standard installation is required. Operation is not assured if the above OS has been upgraded or in a multi-boot environment.
- Limited Warranty Term:Limited Warranty -- 1 Year Parts; 90 Days Labor
2014 Sony Electronics Inc. All rights reserved. Reproduction in whole or in part without written permission is prohibited. Sony, Exmor R, BIONZ and the Sony logo are trademarks of Sony Corporation. All other trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners. Features and specifications subject to change without notice.
Read about our customers' top-rated camcorders on our review page: Camcorders
Top Customer Reviews
Before you place your order, make sure you add a Class 10 Micro SD card to your cart! I recommend 32GB. It must be class 10, not the cheaper class 4 ones.
This camera records in full 1080P resolution and has dual format recording. That means when you open up the SD card on your computer, you'll have the higher bit rate AVCHD files in the private folder, and the lower bit rate .mp4 files in the MP_ROOT folder. In the camcorder Menu > Image quality/size > REC mode, I set it to the highest quality. This gives you 1080p AVCHD, but the .mp4 is 720p. That's good enough for me.
If you hit the PHOTO button on top of the camera, you'll get a crappy, grainy photo. You need to go to Menu > Shooting Mode > Photo. Then you'll get a good picture. This camera has automatic smile detection. It can wait until you're smiling to take a picture. Very creepy. Try it out. Put the camera on a tripod and look at it. Every time you smile, it will snap a picture.
The built - in microphone on the camera works well and has great sound quality. It also catches all the echo and noise in the room, so if you're trying to make a professional quality video, you may want to use a shotgun or lavalier microphone and record the audio separately. This camera does not have a microphone input.
Sony Handycam vs. DSLR cameras
If you watch a professional recording video, they probably won't be using a Handycam. DSLR cameras are much more expensive and can shoot better video, but are much harder to use. First, a good DSLR camera will set you back at least $1,200 and you have to select the right lens. A lot of DSLR lenses have a shallow depth of field, so one thing will be focused in your video while the rest is blurry. It's hard to focus the lens using the small built-in screen, so you might also need to buy a separate one. So, provided you have the right gear, unless you take the time to learn how to use it properly, you'll still just end up with a bunch of blurry footage. The Handycam automatically focuses, and everything in your shot will be focused. Just point it at the action and hit record. Done. Excellent video.
Sony Handycam vs. GoPro
GoPro cameras are widely marketed as the go-anywhere record anything camera. Keep in mind it's an action camera. The GoPro is designed for outdoor use in harsh conditions where other cameras would break. I've tried using the Hero 2 and it had bad video quality in low light conditions, the audio was so bad it wasn't useable (even with the case off), and the menu buttons are a pain to use. The hero 3 and 4 are much better, but still lack in sound quality. If you're shooting video indoors for a YouTube blog, wedding, or anything else that isn't mountain biking or surfing, use the Sony Handycam. It's easier to deal with, you get 54x zoom, and better sound.
This camera also turns on and off automatically when you open/close the screen. It's simple, and smart.
Sony has a few other handycam options with built in projectors and stuff, but they don't make sense unless you go up to the $650 price range and get one that has the balanced optical steadyshot feature.
In conclusion, I would say this camera is excellent. At just a little over $200, it's a great deal and worth every penny.
Otherwise, didn't think the HD was great - looked fuzzy, audio quality was average. Seems you definitely have to spend some money to get decent HD and decent Audio, I'd like this camera better if it had a Microphone In option.
The only complaint I have so far is that you cannot take still photos while capturing video in 1080p. You have to be using 1080i in order to capture still photos while taking video. Oh well. I did purchase a full size SD card for this camera and had to return it for a microSD so pay attention to that. I bought a 64GB microSD card, and with 1080i mode the camera says I have right around 7 hours of recording time. I haven't used it enough to evaluate the battery life yet. As one other reviewer said, the camera does feel extremely light. It's much lighter than my galaxy s3 cell phone even. It's unbelievably light, almost to the point of feeling cheap. I think we're getting to the point now where the electronics in the camera are so small that they are now adding empty space inside just to get the camera to a physical size where you can hold it comfortably in your hand. I have no doubt that the physical quality and durability of this camera is right on target with any other brand or consumer model.
For the record, I did not purchase the 3 or 4 year warranty on the camera. After doing some research, I found that video cameras are among the least repaired consumer electronics today. And for the price of this model, it's simply not worth it.
Update: I've dropped my review from 5 stars to 4 stars after using my camera for a few hours over the weekend. Everything was fine up until watching the videos on my computer and there is some obvious motion blur when people are walking or shifting in their seats, which makes me wonder how this camera will handle capturing sports or my child running around. I should also note that the zoom is phenomenal on this thing, and doesn't get blurry when going beyond the optical zoom either. From my back porch I was able to identify the make/model/color of cars driving down the road over a mile from my house.