Buy Used and Save: Buy a Used "Sony HDRCX240/BVideo Camera with 2.7-Inch LCD (Black)" and save 67% off the $229.99 list price. Buy with confidence as the condition of this item and its timely delivery are guaranteed under the "Amazon A-to-z Guarantee". See all Used offers.
4-Year Cameras & Camcorders Accidental Protection Planfrom SquareTrade
- Coverage for drops, spills and product malfunctions
- No deductibles or hidden fees
- Free ground shipping on all repairs
- Fully transferable with gifts. Cancel anytime, full refund in the first 30 days
- If you purchase this service plan and eligible product for this service plan, you acknowledge that Amazon may send the service plan seller relevant product and price information for the purpose of administering the plan
Sony HDRCX240/BVideo Camera with 2.7-Inch LCD (Black)
|Sale:||$199.99 & FREE Shipping. Details|
Discount provided by Amazon.
Fulfillment by Amazon (FBA) is a service we offer sellers that lets them store their products in Amazon's fulfillment centers, and we directly pack, ship, and provide customer service for these products. Something we hope you'll especially enjoy: FBA items qualify for FREE Shipping and Amazon Prime.
If you're a seller, Fulfillment by Amazon can help you increase your sales. We invite you to learn more about Fulfillment by Amazon .
- Enter your model number to make sure this fits.
- 1920x1080 Full HD 60p with 9.2MP Exmor R CMOS Sensor
- 29.8mm wide angle Carl Zeiss Lens
- 27x Optical/54x Clear Image Zoom to get even closer to the action
- The item uses a micro SD card
There is a newer model of this item:
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
Special offers and product promotions
Have a question?
Find answers in product info, Q&As, reviews
Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.
Compare with similar items
Sony HD Video Recording HDRCX405 Handycam Camcorder
Canon VIXIA HF R800 Camcorder (Black)
Panasonic HC-V180K Full HD Camcorder with 50x Stabilized Optical Zoom (Black)
Sony HD Video Recording HDRCX440 Handycam Camcorder
Sony HD Video Recording HDRCX405 Handycam Camcorder Bundle
|Price||$209.00||Add to cart to see product details. Why?||$219.00||$197.99||Add to cart to see product details. Why?||$198.00|
|Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping|
|Sold By||Wisdom Tech||Amazon.com||Kellards||Amazon.com||Amazon.com||Focus Camera- Same Day Shipping|
|Screen Size||2.7 in||2.7 in||3 in||2.7 in||2.7 in||2.7 in|
|Optical Sensor Technology||CMOS||CMOS||CMOS||CMOS||CMOS||CMOS|
|Video Capture Resolution||1080p_hd||1080p_hd||—||other||1080p_hd||1080p|
Make it memorable with Sony Full HD/60p quality. Capture amazing footage in low light and control, transfer and backup everything via Wi-Fi with NFC in just a touch. Get close to the action with a 27x zoom, wide-angle Carl Zeiss lens and say goodbye to shake with Steady Shot image stabilization. It"s the perfect starter camera.
From the Manufacturer
Entry Level Full HD 60p Camcorder
Make it memorable with Sony Full HD/60p quality. Capture amazing footage in low light and control, transfer and backup everything via Wi-Fi with NFC in just a touch. Get close to the action with a 27x zoom, wide-angle Carl Zeiss lens and say goodbye to shake with Steady Shot image stabilization. It’s the perfect starter camera.
1920x1080 Full HD 60p w/9.2MP Exmor R CMOS Sensor
Create high definition 1920 x 1080 60p videos and high quality 9.2MP still images. Experience stunning low-light sensitivity with improved image clarity and drastically reduced grain with Sony’s back-illuminated ExmorR CMOS sensor. Designed for compact cameras and camcorders, the Exmor R CMOS sensor relocates the photo diodes above the support circuitry, maximizing the light gathering area per pixel so you can shoot with better results in lower lighting conditions.
29.8mm wide angle Carl Zeiss Lens
From the authority in lens technology, the Carl Zeiss Vario-Tessar lens provides a high quality 29.8mm wide angle so you can get everything you want in the shot.
27x Optical/54x Clear Image Zoom to get even closer to the action
Get amazingly close with 27x optical zoom plus 54x Clear Image digital zoom. Most digital zooms use electronic cropping to get closer to the subject, resulting in unsharp images. With Clear Image Zoom the powerful processor compares patterns found in adjacent pixels and creates new pixels to match selected patterns, resulting in more realistic, higher-quality images. Clear Image Zoom doubles optical zoom for closer photos and video.
2.7” Clear Photo LCD display (230K)
The 2.7” (16:9) Clear Photo LCD (230K) displays sharp, bright, vivid images, letting you compose a shot more easily - even outdoors, while enabling you to change settings to best represent the scene.
SteadyShot image stabilization w/ Active Mode
SteadyShot image stabilization with Active Mode compensates for greater degrees of camera shake to deliver stunningly smooth video from wide angle to full telephoto shooting. In addition, innovative 3-Way Shake-Canceling adds electronic roll stability for even smoother video capture
Face Detection with voice enhancement and noise reduction
Sony’s Face Detection technology can automatically distinguish between children and adults. Face Detection technology detects up to eight individual faces and adjusts flash, focus, exposure, and white balance to help deliver crisp, properly lit images of family and friends.
Built-in USB cable for easy file transfer/charge
The high-speed, built-in USB 2.0 cable allows for easy connection to your computer for charging or file transfer without having to remember separate cables. It also fits conveniently into the hand strap so it’s out of the way until you need it. Charging your camcorder is faster than ever now through the USB; for every two minutes of charge time you get one minute of recording time.
Get creative w/ 7 picture effects for video and still photos
Picture Effects add a new level of expression to video and photos, making ordinary landscapes and portraits come to life by heightening mood and emphasizing certain attributes. There are seven different effects such as partial color to make your focal point stand out, or watercolor which looks like a painting.
AVCHD and MP4 dual recording for high quality and Internet ready files
Record HD video in the AVCHD and MP4 formats for highest quality or easy transfer and sharing. AVCHD provides premium video that can be enjoyed on large screen HDTVs, and is ideal for capturing precious memories at special occasions, family vacations and other moments you want to treasure for a lifetime. MP4 is great for those moments that you want to quickly share on your social networks or store on the cloud.
Intelligent Auto (60 different scene combinations possible)
Intelligent Auto mode goes a step beyond traditional auto modes by analyzing your shot and then automatically selecting the appropriate settings from ten distinct scene modes and wind noise reduction. There are 60 different combinations possible: Portrait, Baby, Tripod , Backlight, Landscape, Spotlight, Twilight, Macro, Low light.
- Imaging Sensor:1/5.8'' (4.6mm) back-illuminated Exmor R CMOS Sensor
- Processor:BIONZ X image processor
- Pixel Gross:Approx.2510K pixels
- Effective Picture Resolution:Approx.2290K pixels(16:9)/Approx.1710K pixels(4:3)
- Color Filter System:RGB primary color filters
- Still Image Mode:JPEG
- Still Image Max Effective Resolution:9.2 megapixels
- Still Image Size 16:9:Movie Mode: 9.2 megapixels 16:9 (4032x2272); Photo Mode: 9.2 megapixels 16:9 (4032x2272)
- Still Image Size 4:3:Photo Mode: 6.9megapixels 4:3(3024x2272)
- Video Mode:HD: MPEG4-AVC / H.264 AVCHD 2.0 format.compatible; STD: MPEG2-PS; MP4: MPEG-4 AVC/H.264
- Video Resolution:HD:1920x1080/60p(PS),60i(FX,FH), 1440x1080/60i(HQ,LP)
- Video Actual (Pixel):Approx.2290K pixels(16:9)
- Video Signal:HDTV, NTSC color, EIA standards
- Photo Capture from Movie:2.1megapixels16:9 (1920×1080)
- Dual Record:Yes
- Microphone/Speaker:Built-in Zoom Microphone/Monoral Speaker
- Dual Video Recording:Yes
- Mic Level Control:Yes (2steps)
- Movie Recording Rate(Average Bit Rate/VBR):HD PS:Approx.28Mbps/FX:Approx.24Mbps/FH:Approx.17Mbps/HQ:Approx.9Mbps/LP:Approx.5MbpsMP4: Approx.3Mbps
- Still Image File Format:DCF Ver.2.0 compatible, Exif Ver.2.3 compatible, MPF Baseline compatible
- Lens Type:Carl Zeiss Vario Tessar
- Lens Stabilization:SteadyShot image stabilization w/ Active mode (Wide to Tele)
- Optical Zoom:27x
- Digital Zoom:320x
- Focal Length (35mm equivalent):Movie Mode: 29.8-804.0mm (16:9); Photo Mode: 29.8-804.0mm (16:9), 36.4-984.0.0mm (4:3)
- Minimum Focus Distance:Approx.1cm(Wide),Approx.80cm(Tele) (13/32inch-31 1/2inch)
- Clear Image Zoom:54x
- LCD Type:2.7" Clear Photo LCD display (230K)
- Angle Adjustment:Opening Angle: max.90 deg., Turning Angle: max.270 deg.
- Brightness Control:Yes (Menu)
- Grid Display:Grid Line
- Focus System:Contrast AF
- AF Modes:Auto/Manual
- Focus Area:Full range Focus
- Metering Modes:Multi-segment
- Exposure Settings:Auto, Manual (Menu)
- Scene Mode(s):Auto / Night Scene / Sunrise & Sunset / Fireworks / Landscape / Portrait / Spotlight / Beach / Snow
- D-Range Optimizer:Yes
- Noise Reduction:Yes
- White Balance Mode:Auto / Onepush / Outdoor / Indoor
- Minimum Illumination:Standard: 6 lux (1/30 Shutter Speed); Low Lux: 3 lux (1/30 Shutter Speed)
- Auto Iris Control:F1.8 - F10
- Backlight Compensation:Yes (Auto)
- Gain Control:Auto
- LOW LUX Mode:Yes
- Drive Mode:Photo Mode: Single-shot / Self-timer
- Self-timer:Approx. 10sec. (Still Image)
- Shutter Speeds:Shutter Speed(Standard): 1/60 - 1/10000; Shutter Speed (Auto Control Range) 1/8 - 1/100000; Shutter Speed(Manual lris Control) 1/60 - 1/10000; Shutter Speed(Manual Shutter) 1/8 - 1/10000; Shutter Speed(Smooth Slow Rec): 1/250 - 1/10000
- Manual / Auto Lens Cover:Manual
- Self Timer:Yes
- Red-Eye Reduction:Yes (On/Off)
- Fader Effect(s):White / Black
- Date / Time Stamp:Yes (Rec Date and Time, Camera info)
- Erase/Protect:Yes / Yes
- Media/Battery Indicator:Yes (recordable time, free and used media space) / Yes (recordable time, remaining capacity)
- Power Save Mode:Yes
- Still Image Playback Options:Slide Show
- Video Playback Options:Highlight Playback (HD Movie Only); Highlight Playback Save and Share (Translate into STD quality); Highlight Scenario (Save/Playback/Erase); Hightlight BGM (Preinstalled 4 music files, Music transfer)
- Built-in USB Cable:Yes (USB Charge Available)
- Multiple Language Display:English; Brazilian Portugese; Canadian French; Spanish
- Picture Effects:Yes
- Self Recording:Yes
- AGC Limit:Yes
- Airplane Mode:Yes
- Face Detection:Yes
- Image Stabilization:SteadyShot image stabilization w/ Active mode (Wide to Tele)
- Intelligent Auto:Portrait / Baby / Tripod / Backlight / Landscape / Spotlight / Twilight / Macro / Low light
- Smile Shutter technology:Dual Capture / Always On / Off
- Memory Card Slot:Memory Stick Micro and Micro SD/SDHC/SDXC compatible
- SD Output:Composite Video Out (AV CABLE (sold separately))
- HD Output:HDMI Out (micro)(supplied)
- USB Port(s):TypeA (built-in) / USB2.0 Hi-speed (mass-storage/MTP)
- BRAVIA Sync:Yes
- PhotoTV HD:Yes
- Headphone Jack:Stereo Minijack
- Microphone Input:Stereo Minijack
- Direct Copy:Yes
- HDMI Terminal:Yes (HDMI micro)
- Dimensions (Approx.):Approx. 2 1/4 inch ×2 3/8 inch ×5 1/8 inch (Approx. 54.0mm×59.5mm×128.0mm)
- Weight (Approx.):Approx.6.7oz (Approx.190g) Main Unit Only
- Power Consumption (in Operation):LCD: HD:1.8W
- Power Requirements:3.6V (battery pack); 5.0V (AC Adapter)
- Battery Type:NP-BX1
- Supplied Software:PC: PlayMemories Home and Music Transfer (via download); MAC: Music Transfer, PlayMemories Online Uploader, Wireless Auto Import (by download)
- Operating System Compatibility:Windows XP SP3 /Windows Vista SP2 /Windows7 64-bit editions and Starter (Edition) are not supported. The Windows Image Mastering API (IMAPI) Ver. 2.0 or later is required to use the function for creating discs. Starter (Edition) are not supported. Standard installation is required. Operation is not assured if the above OS has been upgraded or in a multi-boot environment.
- Limited Warranty Term:Limited Warranty -- 1 Year Parts; 90 Days Labor
2014 Sony Electronics Inc. All rights reserved. Reproduction in whole or in part without written permission is prohibited. Sony, Exmor R, BIONZ and the Sony logo are trademarks of Sony Corporation. All other trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners. Features and specifications subject to change without notice.
Read about our customers' top-rated camcorders on our review page: Camcorders
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
Before you place your order, make sure you add a Class 10 Micro SD card to your cart! I recommend 32GB. It must be class 10, not the cheaper class 4 ones.
This camera records in full 1080P resolution and has dual format recording. That means when you open up the SD card on your computer, you'll have the higher bit rate AVCHD files in the private folder, and the lower bit rate .mp4 files in the MP_ROOT folder. In the camcorder Menu > Image quality/size > REC mode, I set it to the highest quality. This gives you 1080p AVCHD, but the .mp4 is 720p. That's good enough for me.
If you hit the PHOTO button on top of the camera, you'll get a crappy, grainy photo. You need to go to Menu > Shooting Mode > Photo. Then you'll get a good picture. This camera has automatic smile detection. It can wait until you're smiling to take a picture. Very creepy. Try it out. Put the camera on a tripod and look at it. Every time you smile, it will snap a picture.
The built - in microphone on the camera works well and has great sound quality. It also catches all the echo and noise in the room, so if you're trying to make a professional quality video, you may want to use a shotgun or lavalier microphone and record the audio separately. This camera does not have a microphone input.
Sony Handycam vs. DSLR cameras
If you watch a professional recording video, they probably won't be using a Handycam. DSLR cameras are much more expensive and can shoot better video, but are much harder to use. First, a good DSLR camera will set you back at least $1,200 and you have to select the right lens. A lot of DSLR lenses have a shallow depth of field, so one thing will be focused in your video while the rest is blurry. It's hard to focus the lens using the small built-in screen, so you might also need to buy a separate one. So, provided you have the right gear, unless you take the time to learn how to use it properly, you'll still just end up with a bunch of blurry footage. The Handycam automatically focuses, and everything in your shot will be focused. Just point it at the action and hit record. Done. Excellent video.
Sony Handycam vs. GoPro
GoPro cameras are widely marketed as the go-anywhere record anything camera. Keep in mind it's an action camera. The GoPro is designed for outdoor use in harsh conditions where other cameras would break. I've tried using the Hero 2 and it had bad video quality in low light conditions, the audio was so bad it wasn't useable (even with the case off), and the menu buttons are a pain to use. The hero 3 and 4 are much better, but still lack in sound quality. If you're shooting video indoors for a YouTube blog, wedding, or anything else that isn't mountain biking or surfing, use the Sony Handycam. It's easier to deal with, you get 54x zoom, and better sound.
This camera also turns on and off automatically when you open/close the screen. It's simple, and smart.
Sony has a few other handycam options with built in projectors and stuff, but they don't make sense unless you go up to the $650 price range and get one that has the balanced optical steadyshot feature.
In conclusion, I would say this camera is excellent. At just a little over $200, it's a great deal and worth every penny.
It has replaced my point-and-shoot still cameras for casual picture taking as well. It can capture still images while shooting live video, or it can be set to shoot in still frame mode. In still frame mode, you have the choice of HD resolution or a larger size. The only real drawback to taking stills while recording video is that the shutter button is pretty inconveniently located for my hand, and the result is sometimes obvious shaking in the video, and other times I miss the still shot entirely. On the other hand, the downloadable editing software can allow you to capture HD-resolution stills from the video itself, but that's more time-consuming than simply snapping them on site in real time.
The monitor can be tilted and rotated to almost any angle, as shown in the product illustrations. It's handy for shooting from awkward angles, but may not be bright enough to see clearly in every position. It's plenty good, though, in the default open position right beside the camera body.
For the size and price of this camera, the lens is something of a miracle! I've been able to do macroscopic closeups on objects that are so close, the camera itself begins to block the light.
You might not shoot a network TV series with one of these, but "handy" is more than just part of the name.
Most recent customer reviews
Decent. The frame rate is just like on TV, but the clarity is a little low; not as crisp as normal TV.Read more