- Free 60-Day Tech Support: This item is eligible for FREE Tech Support for 60 days from the date of delivery. Over the phone, our trained technicians can help you set up, configure, connect, and troubleshoot so you can start enjoying your new purchase. Owners of qualifying products can reach Tech Support by selecting your product on the Contact Us page. Learn more
Sony HTCT550W 3D Sound Bar Home Theater System with Wireless Subwoofer (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.
- 2.1 ch 400W6 simulated surround sound system for 40" and above HDTV
- Wireless active subwoofer for flexible placement
- Three HDMI inputs: single-cable AV connections
- HDMI Repeater with 3D pass-through
- Dolby TrueHD and dts HD enhanced audio codecs
There is a newer model of this item:
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Special offers and product promotions
Powerful sound and an easy-to-place wireless subwoofer distinguish the Sony HT-CT550 sound bar. Three HDMI inputs offer flexibility and future-proof with 3D pass-through. Easy operating features include BRAVIA Sync unified control3 and BRAVIA Widget4 on-screen interface with compatible Sony televisions. HDMI standby pass-through and Audio Return Channel1 are also included.what's in the box: Sony HT-CT550W0 40 Inch 3D Sound Bar System, Remote Control: (RM-AAU113), Receiver (STR-CT550WT), FM Wire Antenna (aerial), Operating Instructions, Subwoofer (SA-WCT550W), 8.2 feet (2.5 m) Digital Optical Cord for TV, Speaker (SS-CT550W), 4 x Speaker Foot Pads, Wireless Transceivers (EZW-RT50), 2 x AA Batteries and 1 Year Parts & Labor Warranty.
From the Manufacturer
Sony HTCT550W 3D Sound Bar Home Theater System with Wireless Subwoofer
Experience powerful sound and an easy-to-place wireless subwoofer with the Sony HTCT550W 3D Sound Bar Home Theater System. Three HDMI inputs offer flexibility and future-proof with 3D pass-through. Easy operating features include BRAVIA Sync unified control3 and BRAVIA Widget4 on-screen interface with compatible Sony televisions. Also included are HDMI standby pass-through and Audio Return Channel1.
2.1-channel sound bar
The fast and easy way to add great sound to any HDTV, this sound bar matches the design of Sony® televisions and is the perfect complement for 40-inch and larger televisions1.
Place the subwoofer just about anywhere in the room. With Sony’s input/output box enables the sound bar to offer both a wireless subwoofer and HDMI connections to other equipment1.
Three HDMI inputs
Connect three HD sources via HDMI and easily switch between them1. HDMI connections combine the quality of pure digital-to-digital signal transfer with the simplicity of a single connection for audio, video and control.
HDMI 3D Pass-Through
With the Sony HTCT550W, you can enjoy 3D Blu-ray Disc movies, video games and other 3D content with compatible players and HDTVs2.
Dolby TrueHD and dts Master Audio5
Experience theater-like sound in your home with Dolby TrueHD and dts Master Audio HD enhanced audio5.
3D surround sound
Using Sony’s S-Force Surround technology, the HT-CT550W can deliver simulated surround sound from just the bar and the subwoofer. You get a powerful surround sound effect without the need to connect multiple speakers throughout the room.
BRAVIA Widget Control4 Easily control your sound bar. With select 2011 BRAVIA HDTVs, you can pull up a menu on the TV screen to make comprehensive audio adjustments4.
400 Watts for powerful sound Hear everything with incredible impact. The sound bar delivers 400 Watts total power (133 W x 2 +134 W)6.
Audio Return Channel1Eliminate the need for extra cables connected to your TV. Send audio from a compatible TV to the sound bar through the same HDMI cable already being used to send audio and video to your TV1.
HDMI standby pass-throughConveniently access all your HDMI sources without having to power on the sound bar.1
BRAVIA Sync CapableEasily control an entire system with one remote. Operates Sony equipment connected via HDMI cables, including compatible Blu-ray Disc players, BRAVIA HDTVs, Handycam camcorders and Cybershot digital cameras.3
|Amplifier Features: ||S-Force PRO Front Surround 3D: YES; Type: Digital |
|Video Features: ||1080/24p: YES |
A/V SYNC: YES(Fixed)
A/V Sync Time(msec): ON(70ms)/OFF
|Decoding Formats: ||96k/24Bit PCM: YES; DTS 96/24: YES; DTS HD/DolbyTruHD/Dolby Digital+: YES/YES/YES|
|Inputs and Outputs: ||Analog Audio In(Inc TV CEC)/Out(excl. tuner)/TV(CEC): Single Line In |
Coax.: 1 Input
HDMI In/Out : (Front input): 3 In / 1 Out
Opt. In/Out/TV(CEC) : incl Front input & TV (CEC): 2 In
|Weight and Measurements: ||Approx: Center Speaker (WxHxD): 37 3/8in x 3in x 1 5/8in |
1. Requires HDMI® cables sold sep.
2. Requires 3D content, 3D HDTV, 3D glasses, 3D emitter, and HDMI® cable (at least 10.2 Gbps).
3. Syncs with BRAVIA® Sync or Theatre Sync products.
4. BRAVIA Widget unified control can be used only when receiver is connected to a Sony XBR-EX620, EX630, EX720, EX820, EX830, NX830, HX820, HX830, or HX930 series BRAVIA HDTV via HDMI® cable (sold separately).
5. Requires HDMI® cable and LPCM capable source device.
6. Measurements at 4 ohms, 180 Hz -20 kHz with a THD of 1%
Read about our customers' top-rated sound bars on our Sound Bar Reviews page.
Top Customer Reviews
After reading the mixed reviews I was a bit nervous about installing this sound bar. However, now that I have it connected and configured correctly with my new 3D TV, I couldn't be happier. I found I can crank-up the volume on the sound bar and experience deep sub-woofer bass to very respectable levels aka, really loud and punchy with the ability to hear all the intended sound-track goodies.
Really big sound with deep sub-woofer punch not bad at "simulating" surround-sound affects)
Quick & easy setup. As already mentioned below it truly takes longer to unpack it than to connect to your TV and blu-ray player
Attractive slim sound-bar design with a wireless sub-woofer (note: SW needs to be placed near an AC outlet--other than that you can move the S/W around the room as you like)
Handles all the latest multichannel audio technologies that come with your blu-ray disks to include all the different Dolby Digital and DTS audio signals
Three HDMI ports and one HDMI out; so you can easliy pass all your equipment through the Receiver, includes and optical port as well
Because it's so easy to setup--I think some may fail to read the manual resulting in a less then optimal configuration and sound effect
I went to two local retail stores to hear this system before I ordered it from Amazon. It sounded horribly weak with no bass in both store demos UNTIL at the last store I asked if we could adjust the AMP menu settings.
If you use something other than high-speed HDMI cables I don't think you can experience all this system has to offer
(I agree with below reviewer comment) Separate Receiver may cause issues for wall mounted TVs
Here's what I found worked for me:
Use newer standard HDMI high-speed cables only--that means newer 1.3 or any 1.4 1.4 includes ARC support HDMI cables not expensive HDMI cables just the new high-speed cables).
Turn off the Linear pulse-code modulation (LPCM) on the Audio Out on your Blu-ray player or game system. Instead select "Bitstream" for Audio Out on the devices you connect to your Sound Bar.
Your satellite, cable, or over-the-air box/signal may not broadcast Dolby Digital or DTS sound tracks some of the time depending upon the program (don't blame this on the sound bar). During these broadcasts you may experience lower quality sound. Use a blu-ray player and blu-ray disk to test this systems sound capabilities)
Take time to understand the AMP menu on the receiver. Read the manual ;-)--this is where the right settings make all the difference between a lousy sound-bar experience and what you expected when you bought this sound-bar.
And finally, Turn Off your TV speakers when you want to use this system. If you leave your TV speakers on and use the sound bar at the same time then you might hear that horrible "thin" hollow sound I heard some complain about
Try these Amp Menu Settings on the receiver decrease the SW or Bass if these settings sound too low/deep for you):
Level: CNT +4, SW +6
Tone: Bass +5 or 6, Treble +3
Audio: Dual Mono: Main/Sub
Other Receiver settings:
Sound Field: Movie
Note: For really BIG sound--try increasing the master volume +15 on the Receiver (independently) before you sync the TV volume with the Receiver Volume.
This new Sony Soundbar delivers such great sound with the capability of huge volume (we now listen at 20% and that is plenty for us. Any way this product solved the problem.
There are many good reviews here so I will not restate the same things over again (see Great Sony 3D Soundbar August 25, 2011 By LDB). Instead I will list some key points that will hopefully prove as helpful to you as they did for me:
1. Use the newer high speed HDMI cables only.
2. Only devices that are connected to the Sony Amp box will be able to use the soundbar for sound.
3. There are three HDMI connections (in my case I used these for my DirecTV box, Xbox360, and Sony BD).
4. Connect the Sony Amp box to your TV using the ARC HDMI connection on the TV.
5. Be sure to connect the included Direct Optical cable between the TV out on your TV and the TV in at the Sony Amp box. If you don't do this any time you use the smart or web apps that are on your TV they will not be able to use the soundbar and you will either get no sound or the sound will play through the TV's small internal speakers.
6. When using my Samsung Smart Apps on my TV I must select TV as the input for the Sony Amp.
7. You must change the settings to your liking at the Sony Amp (see other reviews) and the display for doing this will only show up on the front of the Sony Amp (small front panel display) not on your TV (like you might expect).
8. The Sony Amp comes from the factory with every level set to 0. The woofer won't woof very loud at that level, in fact we couldn't even hear it at all (and was about ready to send it back). We set ours on +4 and we can hear it now!
9. Most of the buttons on the Sony Amp remote do not do anything since I am not using an applicable Sony TV. This doesn't matter though, you just need to be aware of this. (We are extremely happy with our Samsung TV and these products work well together.)
Contrary to some of the negative reviews:
1. We found the fact that the Amp is in a separate box away from the soundbar speakers de-cluttered our installation (TV mounted on wall with soundbar mounted underneath) by allowing most connections to take place down where the other components are located away from the TV.
2. We also found the FM tuner within the Amp box to be a nice surprise bonus. It works great and we can listen to local FM radio stations again in the Living Room (such as NPR) through the new sound system without any additional wiring or components.
3. Another reviewer also did not like the fact that the soundbar doesn't have a threaded bolt system for mounting but instead has holes such as you would find on the back of a wall clock meant for hanging (larger at the bottom and narrower at the top). This of course is ideal if you are mounting the soundbar directly to the wall. However, if like me you wish to mount the soundbar to a mount under or over your TV and you wish to have a more secure mount then using some 10-32 bolts along with flat washers and nuts you can easily attach your bolts to the soundbar first and then mount to whatever mount system you are using (in my case I used a universal mount).
We had no idea what we have been missing in all the new sounds which we are now enjoying. This Sony product really delivers the goods. You get what you pay for and I think that you would be very hard pressed to find another product that would deliver this much quality for under $300. We are very happy with this product.