Salon Beauty Kindle 10th Anniversary Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition $79.99. Limited-time offer. Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now HTL17_gno

on June 9, 2014
I bought this Sony ICF-S10MK2, the Sony SRF59 and the Kaito KA200 at the same time. Each one fits a niche. The Sony SRF59 is my favorite as I mention in my review of it, but it is a headphone only radio. The KA200 is a very small radio with a decent speaker but in my experience it's performance is inferior to either Sony. The ICF-S10MK2 is the largest of the three with a bigger speaker and better tuning and better sound than the KA200.
The ICF-S10MK2 is named a "pocket" radio but I don't like bulky things in my pants or shirt pockets so I would consider it a pocket radio only for a jacket or outdoors vest. It is a good size for backpacking.
I have experience with it only in a large metro area and it tunes in all my stations but sometimes I have to finesse the manual tuning dial for a couple seconds. I prefer it's sound more for AM listening than for FM music. Surprisingly I have found myself carrying it from room to room now instead of the superior Sony ICF-38 which is my favorite portable radio and a steal at $30.
Like the ICF-38, the ICF-S10MK2 sound emanates from the rear of the radio also and if the radio is placed in a corner or near a wall the sound is to me somewhat enhanced.
The big negative for some will be the mono (left ear only) headphone jack. I only use the headphone jack on this radio if I want to be aware of sounds around me such as if the wife is calling me I will hopefully hear her in the right ear :-).
If you are an AM radio nut like me you will most likely agree that this is a good small radio that is a good deal at $13.00.
on October 2, 2015
UPDATE: The first few times I used this radio, I somehow managed to get signal into both ears. I don't know how I did it, but I had both ears going just fine. Perhaps I just happened to be using "dual mono" earphones, since I did switch brands and return my old ones at some point since this purchase.

After that, I suddenly was unable to get the signal to both ears. After doing some research, I discovered that this radio isn't actually designed for stereo headphones! If you try to use stereo headphones (aka the normal ones that everybody has), you will only hear out of one ear.

If you are 60+ years old, and feel some sort of nostalgia for "one ear" earphones, then you will probably laugh at me for being so naive. For the rest of us, you have been warned.

I have since switched to an Eton Mini Compact, and haven't looked back.

Original Review:
[Used to use] this as part of a "ghetto" in-ear monitor system (look for it on Instructables).

So far, it's doing its job just fine. It actually picks up lower frequencies than claimed in the product specs; I turned the dial all the way to the left, and this radio picked up my FM transmitter broadcasting at 87.1 MHz.

I haven't had any need to move the antenna upright or extend it. It picks up my transmitter just fine without doing anything extra to the antenna.

So far, I'm happy with the purchase.
on May 8, 2014
Okay. For $13 bucks, this little radio is great! It is a Sony, and Sony products are pretty good. Yes, it is made of plastic. What isn't these days? Have you looked at your car's bumper lately?? lol Plastic!!

This radio is light and small. So, for those of you who long for the 70s and 80s and want to lug a 75 pound, full size stereo around on your shoulder, this isn't for you. But, if you want a compact, light, AM/FM radio to stick in your pocket... Yeah baby!!! (white buck teeth glistening in the light) Yeah!!!!

The antenna is attached via a flimsy metal tab, which will bend easily if you are not careful. But, if you do bend it, the flimsy metal tab it is attached to will bend easily back into place. Ah, hah, hah, hah, hah, ha!! Well, what did you expect from cheap Japanese steel?? Try this! Go out in your drive way where your Nissan, Toyota, Honda... is parked. Place your thumb in the center of one of the doors. Now press. Boing, boing, boing!!! Hah, hah, hah, hah!! Cheap Japanese steel!!! Moving on...

The antenna works well. Also, I was impressed with the volume. For a small, lightweight, pocket radio, it can put out some volume.

Last but not least, the tuning is ANALOG!!! But that is great!!! For all of you Digital freaks out there, I'll tell you why. FM stations drift. An analog tuner can compensate. Most digital tuners can't. Ever have your FM tuned to, say, 104.7, but the channel sounds like it isn't quite on the Freq.? You try to compensate by going to 104.6 and 104.8, but guess what? If you are lucky, you get something that sounds like Charlie Brown's teacher!!! Whamp, a wah, wah, wah, wah, wamp, wah. If you have an analog tuner, you just nudge the tuning dial a bit and, bam!, crystal clear sound. And to help you do that, there is a little, red, tuner LED!! When you have dialed in the strongest signal, it lights up bright red and says, "STOP!!! You are on the channel!!"

'Nuff said. Play, out!
on May 16, 2015
This is a review of the Sony ICF-S10MK2 AM/FM radio sold by Amazon.

Pigs Do Fly !!! Amazon sent me 2 of these and the packing was over the top. You'd think Amazon was sending me rare china. Too bad they didn't take the same care with the $300 camera I ordered a couple of years ago.

I ordered these for my grab & go disaster kits. So far, I've used both for a total of 7 hours each. Sound is very decent at lower levels, breaks up at higher volumes. Made in China, fit & finish are ok, plastic body isn't as solid as it could be. Runs on 2 AA batteries, with no port for AC power. Red LED "Tune" light is on continually, so using it for its' intended use of fine tuning stations is impossible. 1 of the radios has an issue with the sound, as you turn the on/off wheel, the sound suddenly & loudly comes on. There's no smooth increase in sound. Not a big issue, just poor quality control.

Using the external sound jack, sound is decent using stereo ear buds (radio is mono, so only one side of the ear buds works).

Pros:
Good value
Decent construction for the price
Decent sound at lower levels
Lightweight
Good reception in metropolitan area (AM & FM)

Cons:
Inconsistent quality control between units
A little tippy when standing upright.
Antenna does not recess into body of radio, hangs at the side. Might catch on something and get damaged or detached.
May not survive rough handling, fall from table, etc.
on January 5, 2015
Anyone who thinks AM/FM radio is dead needs to read the article over at Slate from Dec 14, 2014 entitled "Don't Count AM/FM Radio Out Just Yet". Broadcast radio is still extremely profitable and big here in America and isn't about to disappear anytime soon. Besides, everyone should have a good, portable, low battery usage AM/FM radio at home in preparation for natural disasters.

Given the large number of Taiwanese and Chinese brand portables on the market, why stick with the Sony brand even though it is also made in China like all the other brands? Because Sony has developed some excellent AM/FM chip technology for radio reception and these Sony proprietary chips are used in almost all of Sony's portable radios. The ICF-S10MK2 is one of these Sony radios. Reception of AM and FM is surprising good for such a lightweight, inexpensive radio. Unlike some of the recent "Fully Digital" radios that are based on the Silicon Laboratories chip, I find that the Sony radios handle Automatic Grain Control (AGC) functions much better on the AM band. You won't be treated to the irritating digital "pumping" AGC effect on weak AM stations like you find on many of the radios based on the Silicon Laboratories chip sold by Sangean, Kaito and Tecsun. The Silicon Laboratories chips are getting better in this regard but still have problems in the area of effective AGC functions.

The speaker on this little gem is also a big plus. It puts out decent sound for its small size. Tuning is analog, which is a bummer, but the advantage of this over a digital display tuner is that you get much better battery life. The size and weight is a little too high to consider this a shirt pocket radio. Quality of construction is OK, considering the low price of $10 - $12 US dollars. I've seen much worse in this price range from some of the "no-name" Chinese producers.

Along with the ICF-S10MK2, I also own Sony's SRF-59 AM/FM Walkman (ultra-small, analog dial) and the much pricier but much sturdier SFR-M37 AM/FM Walkman (small, digital dial, sporty model with presets). The SRF-59 is very small with amazing battery life and it can easily fit it a shirt pocket. However, it requires you to use headphones. The SFR-M37 adds the weather band along with AM/FM and also has no speaker. It runs on a single AAA battery and has acceptable battery life. All three of these Sony portable AM/FM radios are good buys.

On the high end, I own a much larger Tecsun PL-880 that has AM/FM plus shortwave that I absolutely love! It has great sound from the enclosed speaker and does an excellent job at shortwave reception. However, in that class of portable radio you are looking at something that is about the size of a paperback book and that is much heavier. The price (~ $160 ) is also much higher than what you'll pay for these small Sony AM/FM portables.

If you know some people that don't have any AM/FM radios in their household, consider buying a couple of these small Sony ICF-S10MK2 AM/FM radios and handing them out as and inexpensive but useful gift. When natural disaster strikes (and eventually it will) they'll appreciate having one of these little gems to turn on after the power goes out and their internet goes dead. Most broadcast stations have emergency generators and can continue to broadcast on the airwaves even after the power goes out.
VINE VOICEon October 2, 2014
SONY POCKET RADIO

This cute little radio is for my husband who is an avid leisure biker. He likes to take his bike around the neighborhood and to our beautiful parks in our area. He says this is the best twelve bucks I have ever spent on him! He is a cheap date --

Anyway, this radio reminds both of us of the little transistor radios we had when we were kids. It is small, but has a decent sound and steady reception -- and this is with the antenna barely extended. The radio needs two AA batteries which guarantees over 40 hours of use. It is easy to tune and change from AM to FM frequency. The volume dial is on the other side of the radio to prevent turning the wrong dial accidentally.

For as small as it is -- 2 7/8 x 4 3/4 x 1 3/16 inches -- it is the best little radio out there. My husband has a cell phone holder on his Electra Townie and the radio fits right in the holder. It is just wonderful for him to be enjoying a beautiful fall day in Ohio, cruising and listening to his tunes all at the same time. He couldn't be happier and wants to recommend this little Sony radio to everyone.

Thank you.
on October 26, 2012
I just received this radio (Oct. 2012) from Amazon after reading the reviews saying it had great audio quality. I have to say they were absolutely correct! The packaging and feel of this radio are "cheap" meaning it is very light. While I cannot determine it's durability, it works great.

It dialed in both FM/AM very well in my mid-sized suburban city. The one thing to note is how great the speaker is. Listening to music or talk radio programs were a joy on this little device. I don't remember a time when I got a cheap radio like this and liked listening through the speaker verses earphones.

The only down side, like others have mentioned is that there is only mono on one earphone. If they could correct this while keeping the speaker quality it would be excellent.

I also ordered the grey Kaito KA200 Pocket AM/FM Radio also offered here on Amazon.com and found that while it was much smaller and worked ok (great choice for travel, pocket sized), I would prefer to use the Sony. While it is a little bigger I think it's worth it. The antenna is better on the Sony than the Kaito, but can't really faut either due to the size difference.
on July 22, 2013
I used to be a huge audiophile, and music was my life...I shied away from radio because I was tired of signals going in and out/interference from electronics/having to hear the same 20-30 songs all day whilst being inundated by commercials.

Here I am in my 30's, and I find myself craving something quiet and out-of-the-way I can listen to, and as I tune my radio in to ETV radio and the local college station, I get plenty of variety with very little commercial interruption, and I'm even warming up to the idea of talk radio a little.

Now that the introduction is out of the way, let's get to the radio review: This little radio is fantastic! For its price, it truly is a no-brainer, and I'm shocked Sony still produces such quality radios at such a low price point. I started up ordering the first as a small radio I can keep in the bathroom to listen to while showering (it's only turned on for about 15 minutes at a time, tops)...if something happened and it died from residual water damage, I'm out 2 AA's and eleven bucks. Over the past few weeks it has outperformed my expectations with regard to sound quality and build quality...and I've ordered another for my emergency kit. Pro's and Con's are as follows:

+ Tuning is strong on the FM band. I don't really listen to AM band, but I'm sure at night with clear skies this little baby would probably pick up AM band just fine, depending on the distance to the broadcast source. Once this radio is locked in, it holds a strong signal with very little sway.
+ Build quality seems hardy enough, for the price. I wouldn't go dropping it from great heights on purpose, but when holding this radio I'm not afraid I'll accidentally break it by gripping it too tightly.
+ It's actually able to get quite loud, and I'm able to hear this radio--clearly--at volumes that overshadow the sound of running water in my ears...quite impressive!

- Minor gripe: I wish there was an option for plugging this radio in, but for the price who could argue this? I've seen battery-powered toothbrushes that cost more.

Bottom Line: If you need an inexpensive, portable radio that's not very costly to power, I highly recommend this radio! It has been in use at least once per day for the past few weeks and shows no sign of slowing down. I'll update when the AA's actually die in order to give a better first-hand report on battery life.
on May 7, 2015
This radio reminds me of the type of handheld radio I would see 20 years ago. The outside of the radio has a metal look, which on closer inspection appears to be a hard plastic covered by silver paint. We had to buy another Sony radio because my 4 year old liked his dads radio so much. The antenna is secured to the radio with a small screw attached to a metal piece that sticks out on the back of the radio. This does not make for a secure attachment and our radio antenna broke off after a short time. I live in a suburban area and the antenna is not necessary to pick up most channels. The radio has an internal speaker so we seldom use the radio with headphones. The sound quality is adequate even in noisy or outside environments. The radio has the old style turn dial. For some reason the radio will not go all the way down on the dial and stops at fm station 94. The radio uses 2 double A batteries which seem to last for months with frequent use. Overall we are pleased with the value compared to the cost of this radio.
on March 30, 2016
(Update 5/10/16 -dropping to 4 stars. Antenna broke and is stuck in down position. If I try to correct it may come off completely. I was gentle with the antenna so not sure why it broke. A bit disappointed. Otherwise it is a fine little radio. I have only used twice and purchased about a month ago. I only took to baseball games so I could listen to broadcast of games, bummer! :-(
Simple little pocket radio I can carry in my pocket to baseball games is what I was looking for and this delivers. When at a game you don't want to listen via the internet because there is a time-delay. I will be carrying this to games and listening to play by play. That's the main reason for the purchase. I like the old fashion look too. After-all it's going to the ballpark!