Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 3,422 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 3,627 reviews
on March 2, 2016
Vwry rich sound, good FM sensitivity. High-low tone switch useful for news or music. Mainly, really clean sound out of such an inexpensive radio. I like the old-fashioned simple analog knob and dial for tuning as I can zoom through the statios quickly to find what I want. I use batteries so far and they have lasted a few months with intermittent use. My son has one and recommended it, though he uses his very often and opted to use the included AC adator. Yes, I also own many other mp3 devices and high- and midrange- bluetooth speakers, but sometimes you just want "a radio".
on June 6, 2016
We've had a Sony ICF36 radio for many years. Nice little radio, with decent sound, and the ability to run from the AC supply or from its batteries. It gave us excellent service, but after a while the channel selector showed signs of wear - sometimes it was difficult to select the band before tuning. In addition, the two TV channels were no longer relevant (not the fault of the radio).
We looked into buying the ICF38 - basically a more modern version, without TV or weather channels, but still with the powerful sound, and the ability to run from batteries or AC.
Unfortunately, there were a number of reviews that implied that Sony had outsourced production to China, and the quality had suffered as a result. Five star reviews had dropped to one-star.
After a few years, when the bad reviews seem to have stopped, we bought an ICF38.
We've had it for a couple of months, and it seems OK. The sound is every bit as good as its predecessor,and it seems to be doing the job, without problems. A tentative four stars. Maybe Sony has sorted out their problems with their Chinese supplier.
Recommended? Not yet, but so far, so good.
on July 27, 2013
This is one of four Sony Radios I recently purchased. I wanted a whole bunch of radios for each room in my home, one in my shed, my Travel Trailer and one to keep in my JEEP. All the Sony radios are perfect. Just the kind of quality I would expect from Sony.

What sets this radio apart from the others is it's large speaker, among other things. After purchasing all the Radios this one is only one of my favorites. The radio accepts 4 'AA' cell sized batteries which has kept my radio playing for well over 2 weeks. I use the radio for about 2~3 hours per day. I don't use the AC corded power very much but it's nice to have that extra capability.

The large speaker is what makes this rig beautiful, though. It has a full rich bass sound with ample mid-range and very sufficient treble. Compared to other radios with a single speaker (not including boom boxes) the sound from this Sony is almost High-Fidelity. There is a tone switch on the side of the radio which helps reduce the level of noise during AM reception. I prefer the bass tone rather then the treble tone but regardless of how you have the switch set the radio still sounds really good in either position.

I like that there is a large tuning knob which makes for easy, accurate and dead-on fine tuning. I also like the tuning indicator which helps to further fine tune the radio. A also like how the handle folds down into the radio and out of the way, too.. The handle easily flips up into the carry position when your ready to go.

This Sony sits easily on any table and is very stable since it's very wide and not so tall therefor, it won't accidentally tip over even if you bump it really hard. The radio also has a very nice appearance. It's a pretty radio which would look very nice on any kitchen counter-top or Bathroom shelf. I think it would look great anywhere you place it though.

I've been a Ham Radio Operator for over 35 years so I think I am very qualified to offer these three very important characteristics for a radio. A good radio has to have good sensitivity, selectivity and good sound. Well, this radio has all three of those quality's which makes this Sony the perfect companion.

FM reception is very impressive. I have six commercial stations on my Island and the radio receives all of them without me even having to extend the FM antenna. AM reception is equally impressive, I am able to hear stations 100 miles away loud and clear with very little receiver noise. I don't have to turn the radio all that much to try and capture AM stations either, so it's very sensitive, again with almost no receiver noise.

All this being said and for the price it's being offered for, it's also a great radio to kick around town with. You don't have to worry about bumping it around harshly since it's easily cheap enough to buy another, not that I would do that but it's certainly a radio that can withstand some decent abuse.. Anyway It's pretty hard to find a decent sounding radio with good sensitivity, selectivity and great sound these days but this particular Sony has absolutely blown me out of the water. I highly recommend the purchase of this Sony. I guarantee you won't be disappointed.

Thanks
review image review image review image review image review image
11 comment| 187 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 16, 2016
Thanks for an excellent product. this radio is more than I expected. I had went to one major electronic store to purchase a portable radio similar to this one. the first was of poor quality, and the next day I returned it and tried another radio which cost more, which I also returned and received my money back. I decided to try online and Amazon. I found this radio, and after reading comments I decided to purchase this radio. It is perfect, and I am truly happy with the results. it is beyond my expectations. Thank You. I now will visit Amazon first from now on when considering making electronic purchases, anticipating the results will be the same, Again thanks .
on October 11, 2015
I own several radios, and spend more time listening to them than I do watching television. I am impressed with this rather inexpensive one. Does it sound better than my other radios? No, it doesn't. It lacks the wood cabinet that helps produce warm tones. But dialogue is crisp and clear, and music sounds surprisingly full. Is it the best performing radio I own? No, it isn't, but it pulls in the NPR station I listen to that's over 40-miles away through an area with quite a bit of interference including a transmitting tower for a nearby station that produces several ghost channels up and down the dial of less sensitive units, and it does so with ease. But this unit is quite possibly the best radio available for under $30, and one may have to pay quite a bit more to find a better one. There's a reason this one's a bestseller.
VINE VOICEon July 15, 2015
I've owned the popular little Sony ICF-S10MK2 pocket radio for years and it has served well. Sometimes, though, you just want something a little larger and heavier that works at least as well. Sony's ICF38 is nearly as popular and while it is not beautiful or stylish in appearance, it has the basics down pat: AM/FM with red tuning light for both bands, a collapsible antenna that I barely need here in town; a handle that pops up from the rear. It is "form-follows-function" incarnate: I was able to load the four AA batteries (purchased separately), shift bands, tune, and find my favorite stations without the aid of any written directions, just common knowledge. It is surprisingly heavy for its size, and some may consider that a drawback. I like it, though, especially because it contains a curled-up power cord adjacent to the battery compartment and thus is reasonably well-balanced. (Sony recommends removing any batteries if you intend to use the radio on AC for long periods of time.) It has only the one speaker but it is adequate if you don't expect "hi-fi"; most people would use headphones for that anyway.

Thus far, it appears to hold its signal well, an important consideration for me because one public-radio station, while of adequate signal strength, is apt to be crowded out by larger commercial stations on either side. AM strength could be better, but AM is a bit of an afterthought on most receivers regardless of size. (We have an easy comparison-test in Chicago -- WBBM AM-780 and WBBM FM 105.9 are simulcast. 'BBM AM typically comes in stronger in my car, the FM station typically comes in stronger indoors; this radio is no exception though the AM reception is okay.) All in all I am very pleased, especially at this price. If you're looking for a very basic, functional radio and simplicity matters more than visual appeal, I'd recommend this Sony ICF-38 totally. Note that while Amazon's price is in line with other vendors,' it's much easier to avoid paying an extra shipping fee, either thru SuperSaver or Prime.
on July 14, 2012
I wanted a small, simple, inexpensive radio for kitchen use. The Sony ICF38 is well made, can use either an AC cord that stows in the back of the radio, or 4-AA batteries.

Styling is simple and clean, with clear, solid controls. Sound quality is very good for such a small radio. Very happy with the radio to this point.
22 comments| 226 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 3, 2014
This is a solid product for outdoor use. sound quality for the price exceeded my expectations. this radio has easy to use tuning knobs and large switches. I was surprised how easy it was to tune in fm and am stations. Red tuning light which turns bright red when station is tuned in helps even in bright sun. This product also has a AC power cord built into unit nice feature if you don't want to use batteries. Finally, the unit has a headset jack a must feature if you require some private listening. If you are looking for a great basic radio this is one to consider.
on May 25, 2017
I purchased this Sony (ICF38) in 5/2017 because I wanted a simple AM/FM with regular batteries (AA), plug-in capabilities (plug / cord attached and stores inside if not in use), and easy station dialing (no digital anything). Having local news is important to me for both the hurricane season coming up and the wildfire season, hopefully about to end with the rains of today. There are no local TV stations (closest Tampa and Orlando, both 80 miles away), so although I have both satellite and then cable for the internet, there are no local alerts via other means (iPhone alerts are only so-so and rather generic). This radio is excellence personified for its simplicity, yet has all the features I want and works great in the rural area of Florida where I live. I think it may be a bit pricey, but it is the only one that I could find that is so easy to operate and has the simple features I want. It is small and fits nicely on my desk, but yet pulls in the stations I need.
on March 11, 2016
This is a great little radio! I listen to it a lot, and I also leave it on and tuned in to the local classical station for my cats when I'm not home. I like that I have the option of using battery power or plugging it into an electrical outlet. The unit is relatively small but not tiny. It's a lot bigger than my Sony ICF-8 and even a tad bigger than my Sony ICF-F10. It's a good size. Plastic mounted carrying handle is a plus, as is the tone switch. It puts out great sound for a radio of its size. Another plus is that it's very easy to operate. I very highly recommend buying this radio. The only downside is that the radio puts out only mono audio through a left ear phone. Not stereo, just so you know. For me, this is a non-issue as I do not use this radio with earphones at all (instead I use the Sony SRF-59, which is great for DXing!). Be aware that many of these awesome, old school radios have mono output only via headphones. Do your research before buying or buy an adapter if you're a headphones person.