Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by Nothing More PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now FFII_gno

Showing 1-10 of 778 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 844 reviews
on June 2, 2014
Hi all,

This alarm clock is great! Small footprint, aesthetically modern, easy to setup (plug in right out of the box and program) and use.

The number one factor that almost kept me from buying this was complaints from people regarding the Alarm buzzer function being too quite. Let me state clearly that it was designed this way and gets progressively louder and more frequent the longer it goes. The idea is that it wakes you softly. If you are a heavy sleeper, you will not be woken up immediately by this alarm but you almost certainly will be within 30 seconds to a minute.

Another nice feature is the orange lighting. It is bright enough at night to see the digits but is by no means bright enough to cause any room illumination issues.

My wife and I are very happy with this and would suggest it to anyone who needs the dual alarm function, would like a small but modern design and wants something that just works and is easy to setup.
33 comments| 249 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 11, 2014
This is a wonderfully well designed clock radio. Good sound, easy to read, good looking and extremely easy to use.
on January 17, 2017
Looks fine, keeps time, easy to use. Alarm is useless, can barely hear it when I'm awake. Maximum radio volume is a little louder, but not loud enough if you are a heavy sleeper and not loud enough to listen to the radio in the kitchen. (I am not hearing-impaired or elderly.) I suppose you could use it to listen to the radio as you fall asleep. I bought a Sony because I was replacing an old Sony Dream Machine that had worked really well for years. This clock cost enough that I should have returned it immediately, but I'm so used to throwing out small electronics from Amazon because of the cost of return postage that I didn't think of it until too late.
on June 27, 2017
It has been about a year and a half since I bought this alarm cube. I have looked at seemingly everything on the market before I settled on this Sony cube. I am a retired firefighter, and I have heard every type of alarm ever used to wake a tired individual. There were dispatchers yelling into a vocal speaker, gongs, mechanical and artificial bells and tones. I got so good at waking for the third time after midnight. I just needed the sound of a 'click', the opening of a microphone circuit. That circuit operated the speakers that were used by the dispatchers.
So when I went shopping for an alarm, I wanted something that was small on the dresser, was not lit too bright while trying to fall asleep, and woke with a softness before the alarm became forceful. This describes the operation of this Sony. If you want the digital time lit soft or bright it is available. If you want two alarms for your self or share the other alarm with your significant other, two are available. You can pick between waking by an alarm or a pre-picked radio station. Obviously there is a snooze and a backup battery function. What I like best is the sound of the alarm. It starts off very slow with a low volume.
The sound will gradually build in urgency and volume to wake most of the deep sleepers. I have seen examples of some firefighters that would need a canon to explode before they would awake. I know this because I was the one dragging them out of their beds to respond to a early morning call. I am not sure that this Sony Cube would be for the worst sleeper. But we are talking about that top .01% sleeper. And it is possible that the second alarm make wake them given a second chance. Yes the buttons are small but I have memorized their location and have no problems. The AM/FM is good but don't expect a concert hall quality. The music can be left on a timer as it puts you to sleep. For this reason, I don't expect a speaker that can handle too much wattage.
I don't think you could go wrong with this alarm. I do recommend this alarm.
on June 14, 2015
I don't like this alarm clock at all - it's difficult to see the button labels, the switches are hard to slide and stop on the right setting, and the radio has a manual rotating dial which is difficult to settle on the correct station. Even with a strong signal, the radio sounds distorted. I've used Sony alarm clocks all my life, and this is by far the cheapest-feeling, clunkiest one.

However, at a local retail store I did stumble across the more advanced version of this clock - the one that projects the time on the ceiling. Although I don't care for that particular feature, it has a digital radio dial that allows you to save 5 FM presets and 5 AM presets. It also lets you choose if you want the alarm to go off only Mon-Fri, or only on weekends, or all 7 days of the week. It also has nature sounds, which I wasn't interested in but now find kind of nice. I bought it and love it. The buttons even move easier and make better sense. I use the cheaper clock above in a room where no one sleeps.

Don't do what I did - just get the more expensive clock. It has a lot of features that you'll appreciate, and the build quality is way higher too.
on January 27, 2017
I have had quite a few Sony clocks in the past. Unfortunately I cannot recommend this one. Yes, it has a nice design. However, the clock emitted a humming sound that could be heard across the bedroom. It wasn't cell phone interference since I tried turning off my phone. This is not unacceptable for a bedside clock. I see other reviews about the same problem. For this reason I didn't feel confident that a replacement would fix the issue. So I returned it.
on September 20, 2016
Absolute junk. Lasted about a year until all of the buttons stopped working. I tried calling Sony support to prevent it from ending up in the landfill, but they couldn't provide support for it. I took it apart but the problem appears to lie with faulty wiring on the circuit board. I wouldn't be surprised if others have this issue. I might post it for free on ifixit so that someone can use it for the parts that do work - I'd hate for it to go to waste.
on November 13, 2015
Overall a very good alarm clock. It looks really cool and modern in design. I've always been a loyal Sony product owner since the quality of their products has always been top notch, this clock is no exception. Just a few things I need to point out. I bought this clock to replace a small Timex battery operated alarm clock which I had used for about 5 years. I was looking for a larger more sturdy alarm clock as the Timex unit was just a small travel clock. I initially shied away from plug-in type units due to the potential loss of time and alarm settings during power outages. This unit alleviated my worries since it has a battery back up which will let the clock keep the correct time and the alarm will still go off at the set alarm time. Please note: The battery this clock uses is a small flat size 2032 battery. The unit I received had a dead battery: I believe this was due to the fact the battery was installed in the clock when it was manufactured. The clock should not be used continuously on battery power alone. Several other reviewers noted the receiving clocks with dead batteries. The unit has an orange LED display with three brightness modes. You cannot turn off the lite display altogether which was different than my old clock. But at the least brite mode, the LED will not lite up your room and is only noticeable if you look directly at it. I wear glasses and it is hard to read the display in the least brite mode in the dark without my glasses on. The unit has two alarm modes, radio and buzz tone (Please note that in the event of a power outage, only the buzz tone alarm will work, not the radio). The radio has an analog type tuner which has descent reception and uses a small 2 5/8 inch speaker. The quality of the radio sound is just meahhh. If you want a good sounding radio, I would pass on this and all alarm clock radios as they are not designed to be used as radios by themselves really. I prefer the buzz tone alarm anyway. When it goes off, the sound ramps up louder and louder during a 30 second period. The buzz tone is pretty quiet when it goes off but does ramp up to a moderate volume at max. I'ts does not reach "air horn" volume but it should still wake you up. I'm a lite sleeper so this does not bother me.
on March 21, 2016
I was hesitant to even order an alarm clock radio since after spending too much time shopping on Amazon and reading the reviews there didn't seem to be any that just did what they were supposed to do in a user-friendly fashion (and didn't cost too much). But this item is pretty satisfactory.

The buttons are very small and the writing on the device is almost impossible to read, but overall it's not meant to be a very sophisticated product.

It almost set itself up when the correct time appeared when I first plugged it in. It then automatically adjusted to DST (here on the East coast).

The intensity of the readout is moderate - not enough to disturb most people's sleep I would guess.

The only negative is the sound quality of the radio: it's pretty scratchy and tinny.

However, I'm only using it for an hour at the most before I get out of bed. I wouldn't use it just to listen to. Most people probably have better devices to listen to anyway. It's just an alarm.

And really, the thing is only about $20. A decent product for the money. (Let's hope it lasts!).
on December 14, 2016
After buying several other clock radios that were terrible I came upon this one in a last ditch effort to find something! I LOVE this clock! It's easy to set the time and alarms. I did it without having to look at the instructions. Previous clocks I needed to read the instructions each and every time (stupidly complicated). The clock set it's own time, I just needed to pick the time zone, again very easy! One of the best things was the clock is very easy to see in the light or dark, but it does not light up the room. My previous clock cast a shadow even on dim mode. The radio has reasonable sound quality and the part I like is it's a manual dial. Meaning if the clock looses power, you don't loose everything. Past clock even though it had batteries if you had a flicker in the power everything was gone and I needed to get the darn instructions out again (grr). Highly recommend this one!!! I Might even buy a couple more for when this one does die.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.