Bubble Witch Saga 3 Vehicles Review Best Books of the Month Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Three new members of the Echo family Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18_gno

on December 29, 2012
This is a decent radio at a good price. Mine seemed to have good sensitivity and fair selectivity (was good at pulling in faint signals and fair at separating signals that were close to each other on the dial). Sound quality from the single speaker was good for the price.

It is simple and basic. The tuning and volume knobs are on the front. A three position switch- off, AM and FM, bottom to top- is on the right, along with an earphone jack. I would have preferred that the on-off switch be combined with the volume knob instead of the AM-FM band switch, because in turning on the radio to FM you must pass through the AM band first, and since I am operating my radio in an office full of computers this results in a momentary blast of electronic computer noise. That's a minor objection, though, more a matter of taste than anything else.

The earphone jack accepts a standard miniature stereo headphone plug, but the radio is mono only, and the sound will only come out of the left side of the stereo headphones. I presume that the radio is set up this way for convenience; stereo earbuds are a lot more common these days than the one-sided earphone a radio like this would have had back in the old days.

The radio doesn't have an AC cord, or even a socket to allow use of an external AC transformer. The only source of power is a pair of D cells. This may not be an issue, since it is very likely that the batteries will last a good long time. The manual that came with the radio claimed the batteries would last 220 hours on AM or 200 on FM, but didn't say whether this was continuous play or some limited time per day. (Batteries will generally give a longer total life if you use them a half hour, hour, or so, and then turn the radio off for a while.)

The radio is a bit less than 8 inches long. I'd guess it weighs between 1 and 2 pounds.

I have fancier radios that I use to try to pull in faint and weak stations. They have better selectivity and sensitivity than the Sony ICF-F10, but they are also more complicated to operate and cost a lot more. I wouldn't recommend this set for the faint signal "DXing" hobby, but it seems to give good results on any radio station strong enough that you might actually want to listen to it for an hour or two at a time.

It's definitely good enough for local AM and FM stations during the day, and one of the AM stations I got with it clearly at night was 700 miles away, so I would say it is adequate for an emergency radio to use during power failures and the like. Especially if you have some spare D cells for your flashlights; this radio uses the same D cells. It would also be a good radio for the garage, working outdoors, picnics, and the like. It will give good service, and at the price it will hurt a lot less if this falls into the creek than it would if you did the same with some fancier digital set.

Myself, I bought it to use in my office. It's great for that, because it does very well with a clear signal, and the weak and rare signals aren't going to be able to break through the office's fluorescent light and computer electronic hash anyway.
44 comments| 203 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on September 24, 2013
This is a great radio for minimalists, people on-the-move, or people who just don't like stringing cords all over the house. I've had this little gem long enough to test it out, and I even decided to buy a second one because it's so economical to have one in my everyday carry bag...and because I have a bit of a radio addiction right now. With all of that said, let's get down to business:

+ Sound: It's got that warm, slightly-tinny classic radio sound that I just love. It doesn't get amazing low's and high's, but it isn't built to! The great thing is, it takes having the volume turned up almost to the maximum in order to hear any volume-based distortion at all! That in itself is quite amazing. I sometimes put this radio outside of the shower in the mornings, and can hear it above the sound of running water AND the exhaust fan, with no distortion!

+ Reception: This little jewel barely has any drift whatsoever! Also, electronic interference doesn't seem to decimate the signal as badly as it does with some of my other battery-powered radios. Perhaps its power consumption makes its ability to pull and maintain a signal much stronger? I'm not sure, but it falters far less than others (like the ICF-38 and the ICF-S10MK2) when it comes to electromagnetic interference.

+ Economy: It's fifteen dollars! What more could one ask for in a basic-featured radio?? The battery life alone seems quite economical (I have yet to wear out the first set with almost daily use [1-3 hours]), and one can purchase rechargeable batteries (or at least D-cell spacers so that you can use rechargeable AA's) in order to save more money on battery costs. In my opinion, 200 hours of play out of a pair of D-cells certainly seems worth the price of admission. Some might complain that this model has no built-in power cord option like the ICF-38, but when the grid power in your home fails, this little baby will still be going strong.

+ Durability: Feels durable enough, although I DO NOT abuse my electronic devices. Do I carry them all over the states with me? Sure, but I DO NOT intentionally treat things badly in order to see how far they can be pushed. I have not performed any drop tests on it; nor do I plan to. Speaking of drops...

- The carrying strap feels like it will disintegrate at any moment. This isn't a huge gripe, so I only subtracted 1/2 star...the reason being: If you don't want people dropping such a fine radio and having to replace it often, you'll give them a better carrying option! That being said, I fashioned a rudimentary carrying strap out of paracord that will be more than sufficient.

- The tuning knobs feel a little loose, and therefore seem to "lag" a bit when you're adjusting the volume or tuning. For this, I subtracted another 1/2 star...although truthfully it shouldn't bother you if you love sticking with your favorite channel like I do. That being said, I may just end up taking this radio apart and modifying the knobs so that they turn a bit more stubbornly. Your mileage may vary, but I thought this was worth mentioning.

Bottom Line: When it comes to having a radio around for a long time that won't break the bank, this no-frills package gets the job done.
review image
22 comments| 161 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on February 19, 2013
Howdy Folks

I don't write many reviews for Amazon, but every once in a while when I get a really good product, I'll throw in my 2 cents and write a review.

I originally bought this radio to bump up a free shipping order, I didn't really expect a great radio when I bought it at this price, I was in for a pleasant surprise!

I live in an extreme fringe area in deep woods, and to make matters worse, I have a metal roof on my house which really messes up radio reception.

This Sony is actually 8 inches long and 5 inches high, It works very well on FM and pretty good on AM, the radio puts out plenty of volume and the tone is good.

The radio looks nice, is simple to operate, it also comes with a cheap looking plastic strap to serve as a handle, but I have already throw that away, it's easy enough to grab hold of and carry somewhere else.

I use mine for a kitchen table radio, and drag it out to the deck when BBQing, it's also been camping and does pretty good there also.

I don't think this little Sony can be beat when you compare the modest price and the quality performance it delivers.
0Comment| 202 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on August 8, 2016
Retro looking. Great sound, Sony is unbeatable in the sound quality department. At night, I can listen to AM radio stations 450 miles away. I can't get over how good this unit looks. It's like it belongs to another time. I'm so glad you can still get these for 20 bucks in 2016.

The only minor inconvenience I have found so far is that the headphone jack does not output sound to both earbuds. But that's not really the point of this radio. The main advantage is that it is battery operated and has big simple dials.

I got this unit because I became sick of watching TV, listening to Spotify and downloading music. It got to the point where I got tired of the downloading, syncing, updating my apps. thinking about my data plan, wifi coverage, bluetooth signal strength, etc. I just wanted to listen to good music and listen to the news. This fits the bill perfectly. You will be amazed of what a luxury it is to have simplicity back into your life. Not a lot of people are fortunate enough to realize this and will just look for more features and blinking lights and bright screens and bluetooth and technology without realizing how good we already had it.
11 comment| 22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on September 24, 2016
I really like the simplicity of this cheaply priced radio, no frill's here, no digital displays to go bad after time, no push buttons that one day will get suck or sticky, it's a very practical radio for what it is, it has very good signal strength, it pulls stations very good. Good seperation between the stations, the knobs are a little sloppy, they wobble a bit, I really do not expect them to break unless you were to force them or hit them or drop it on the knobs. It comes with a carry strap, and a earbud jack in the radio. The speaker does a good job considering it's a mono radio and the speaker fits the radio very well aesthetically, the tuning is close to the stations real numbers however they are a bit off, like 95.5 might be found closer to a bit over 100., not a huge deal for the price of the unit and you will find the station easily enough so I did not subtract a star for that. The only con in this unit, and the reason I removed a star, is the inability to plug it in, it only runs on D batteries, which are claimed to last about 200 hours, which is a considerable amount of time in an emergency when all you need is a a quick update here and there throughout a day, minutes at a time, the batteries would last seemingly for months or even years. and keeping a few extra's on hand for an emergency really extends listening to the radio for many extended periods of time, think years here. But I would still like to be able to plug it in to save my batteries while listening to it..The radio itself is Well made,and it should last a long time, it has a decent antenna as well. It's made by Sony, at a great price, need I say more? Pull the trigger and buy it, if you decide you don't like it you have my permission to send it to me.
on July 27, 2013
This is one of four Sony Radios I recently purchased. I wanted a whole bunch of radios for each room in my home, one in my shed, my Travel Trailer and one to keep in my JEEP. All the Sony radios are perfect. Just the kind of quality I would expect from Sony.

What sets this radio apart from the others is it's very large Speaker, among other things. After purchasing all the Radios this one has become my absolute favorite. The radio accepts 2 "D" cell sized batteries which has kept my radio playing for well over a 3 weeks. I use the radio for about 5~6 hours per day.

The large speaker is what makes this rig beautiful, though. It's has a full rich bass sound with ample mid-range and very sufficient treble. Compared to other radios with a single speaker (not including boom boxes) the sound from this Sony is almost High-Fidelity.

I like that there is a large tuning knob which makes for easy, accurate and dead-on fine tuning. A also like the adjustable carry strap, too.. Radios with plastic handles can only be carried with your hand, this unit however allows you to adjust the the strap so the radio can be carried by hand or over your shoulder.

This Sony sits easily on any table and is very stable since it's wide and not so top heavy to make it tip over if you accidentally bump it. The radio also has a very nice appearance. In the right environment the radio seems to add to the beautiful wood motif of my home.

I've been a Ham Radio Operator for over 35 years so I think I am very qualified to offer these three very important characteristics for a radio. A good radio has to have good sensitivity, selectivity and good sound. Well, this radio has all three of those quality's which makes this Sony the perfect companion.

FM reception is very impressive. I have six commercial stations on my Island and the radio receives all of them without me even having to extend the FM antenna. AM reception is equally impressive, I am able to hear stations 100 miles away loud and clear with very little receiver noise. I don't have to turn the radio all that much to try and capture AM stations either, so it's very sensitive, again with almost no receiver noise.

All this being said and for the price it's being offered for, it's also a great radio to kick around town with. You don't have to worry about bumping it around harshly since it's easily cheap enough to buy another, not that I would do that but it's certainly a radio that can withstand some decent abuse.. Anyway It's pretty hard to find a decent sounding radio with good sensitivity, selectivity and great sound these days but this particular Sony has absolutely blown me out of the water. I highly recommend the purchase of this Sony. I guarantee you won't be disappointed.

Thanks
review imagereview image
0Comment| 53 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on November 4, 2016
I was hoping for a deal but really wasted my money. I didn't really expect much in terms of features or quality feel so I got what I expected from that standpoint. Greatest disappointment I have is poor reception. Several reviews said the reception was surprisingly strong but that is not what I am experiencing. Actually, when comparing this to other radios I have, this one is the worst I have at receiving even local stations. Most stations i am trying to receive are within 30 miles and sometimes are a little spotty but this radio cannot even pick up some of them. I will be ordering something different and probably giving this one to Goodwill.
on February 1, 2017
Hubby is the kind that likes to carry his portable radio EVERYWHERE with him around the house, yard, garage and front porch. Radios like this are becoming obsolete and very difficult to find. Ordered one before Christmas as his old radio was dying. Took some time and read all of the reviews which are MOST helpful. Settled on this one and he LOVES it!! Reviews talked about volume, size, and sound quality even at a louder setting. Sound quality was one of the things he had complained about with past radios. This radio has surpassed ALL expectations! He says it is one of the nicest radios he has had in a very long time.
After all of his raves, I just ordered 2 more to keep on hand. I also have a small portable radio in the kitchen that I often take out when gardening or watering. These reserved will come in handy down the road. GREAT price and well worth buying. I don't think you will be disappointed at all!
on May 11, 2017
We bought this to keep the deer out of our vegetable garden. We have a large population and the garden is 100+yards from the house and next to a big patch of timber. We put the radio on an upturned crate and covered it with a big plastic pot with a heavy rock on top. My wife bought a big pack of replacement batteries thinking they would only last a few of days. At first we went out every evening & turned it on and then turned it off in the morning to conserve battery power. After a week or two we just left it on 24/7 since the batteries were lasting longer than expected. It was around March 15 when we put out there. It's now May 11 and the original batteries are still going 24/7 and keeping the deer away. All night AM talk radio is the best scare crow ever and has kept the deer away (it even scares me)!
on May 15, 2014
I am not going to write a detailed description of this radio since many others have already done that. Instead, I will write a bit about what I personally find the strengths and weaknesses of this Am/Fm unit. Strengths: Am much more sensitive than expected and picks up lots of strong stations from all over the Eastern US at night, as far west as Chicago and as far north as Canada, from my Jersey shore location. The Fm is clear and picks up several of the fringe stations that only my better radios hear. The analog tuning is great for band-scanning, and there is little drift. The radio looks good and is a nice size - not too big, not too small. Weaknesses: the knobs have a flimsy, cheap feel to them, and there is only mono sound that comes out of one side of headphones without an adapter. If you are looking for an old fashioned,sensitive radio with no frills at a very low price, this may be the radio for you.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.