Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $59.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 909 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 934 reviews
on September 24, 2013
This is a great radio for minimalists, people on-the-move, or people who just don't like stringing cords all over the house. I've had this little gem long enough to test it out, and I even decided to buy a second one because it's so economical to have one in my everyday carry bag...and because I have a bit of a radio addiction right now. With all of that said, let's get down to business:

+ Sound: It's got that warm, slightly-tinny classic radio sound that I just love. It doesn't get amazing low's and high's, but it isn't built to! The great thing is, it takes having the volume turned up almost to the maximum in order to hear any volume-based distortion at all! That in itself is quite amazing. I sometimes put this radio outside of the shower in the mornings, and can hear it above the sound of running water AND the exhaust fan, with no distortion!

+ Reception: This little jewel barely has any drift whatsoever! Also, electronic interference doesn't seem to decimate the signal as badly as it does with some of my other battery-powered radios. Perhaps its power consumption makes its ability to pull and maintain a signal much stronger? I'm not sure, but it falters far less than others (like the ICF-38 and the ICF-S10MK2) when it comes to electromagnetic interference.

+ Economy: It's fifteen dollars! What more could one ask for in a basic-featured radio?? The battery life alone seems quite economical (I have yet to wear out the first set with almost daily use [1-3 hours]), and one can purchase rechargeable batteries (or at least D-cell spacers so that you can use rechargeable AA's) in order to save more money on battery costs. In my opinion, 200 hours of play out of a pair of D-cells certainly seems worth the price of admission. Some might complain that this model has no built-in power cord option like the ICF-38, but when the grid power in your home fails, this little baby will still be going strong.

+ Durability: Feels durable enough, although I DO NOT abuse my electronic devices. Do I carry them all over the states with me? Sure, but I DO NOT intentionally treat things badly in order to see how far they can be pushed. I have not performed any drop tests on it; nor do I plan to. Speaking of drops...

- The carrying strap feels like it will disintegrate at any moment. This isn't a huge gripe, so I only subtracted 1/2 star...the reason being: If you don't want people dropping such a fine radio and having to replace it often, you'll give them a better carrying option! That being said, I fashioned a rudimentary carrying strap out of paracord that will be more than sufficient.

- The tuning knobs feel a little loose, and therefore seem to "lag" a bit when you're adjusting the volume or tuning. For this, I subtracted another 1/2 star...although truthfully it shouldn't bother you if you love sticking with your favorite channel like I do. That being said, I may just end up taking this radio apart and modifying the knobs so that they turn a bit more stubbornly. Your mileage may vary, but I thought this was worth mentioning.

Bottom Line: When it comes to having a radio around for a long time that won't break the bank, this no-frills package gets the job done.
review image
0Comment| 127 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 29, 2012
This is a decent radio at a good price. Mine seemed to have good sensitivity and fair selectivity (was good at pulling in faint signals and fair at separating signals that were close to each other on the dial). Sound quality from the single speaker was good for the price.

It is simple and basic. The tuning and volume knobs are on the front. A three position switch- off, AM and FM, bottom to top- is on the right, along with an earphone jack. I would have preferred that the on-off switch be combined with the volume knob instead of the AM-FM band switch, because in turning on the radio to FM you must pass through the AM band first, and since I am operating my radio in an office full of computers this results in a momentary blast of electronic computer noise. That's a minor objection, though, more a matter of taste than anything else.

The earphone jack accepts a standard miniature stereo headphone plug, but the radio is mono only, and the sound will only come out of the left side of the stereo headphones. I presume that the radio is set up this way for convenience; stereo earbuds are a lot more common these days than the one-sided earphone a radio like this would have had back in the old days.

The radio doesn't have an AC cord, or even a socket to allow use of an external AC transformer. The only source of power is a pair of D cells. This may not be an issue, since it is very likely that the batteries will last a good long time. The manual that came with the radio claimed the batteries would last 220 hours on AM or 200 on FM, but didn't say whether this was continuous play or some limited time per day. (Batteries will generally give a longer total life if you use them a half hour, hour, or so, and then turn the radio off for a while.)

The radio is a bit less than 8 inches long. I'd guess it weighs between 1 and 2 pounds.

I have fancier radios that I use to try to pull in faint and weak stations. They have better selectivity and sensitivity than the Sony ICF-F10, but they are also more complicated to operate and cost a lot more. I wouldn't recommend this set for the faint signal "DXing" hobby, but it seems to give good results on any radio station strong enough that you might actually want to listen to it for an hour or two at a time.

It's definitely good enough for local AM and FM stations during the day, and one of the AM stations I got with it clearly at night was 700 miles away, so I would say it is adequate for an emergency radio to use during power failures and the like. Especially if you have some spare D cells for your flashlights; this radio uses the same D cells. It would also be a good radio for the garage, working outdoors, picnics, and the like. It will give good service, and at the price it will hurt a lot less if this falls into the creek than it would if you did the same with some fancier digital set.

Myself, I bought it to use in my office. It's great for that, because it does very well with a clear signal, and the weak and rare signals aren't going to be able to break through the office's fluorescent light and computer electronic hash anyway.
44 comments| 190 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 27, 2012
I've owned this radio for almost a month now. Like a couple of other reviewers have mentioned, I bought it mainly as an inexpensive, simple radio to use during power outages. It's about as no-frills as you can get: it doesn't have a clock or alarm, station presets, a back-light, or even a power-on light (so you have to be careful to make sure it's completely off and not just turned down). I did like the look of the radio though; it has kind of an appealing retro style.

Unfortunately, the ICF-F10 looks more stylish in pictures than it does in real life. Its plastic case is pretty unattractive and out of the box there were scratches on the clear widow over the dial. The radio rocks back and forth on its base slightly and you can jiggle the knobs up and down. It feels a bit cheap overall.

The radio does work reasonably well though. The knobs turn smoothy. The volume knob has a small amount of annoying play, but the tuner knob is precise. It's not as easy as using a digital tuner and it requires some patience, but you can still zero in on the station you want.

Reception is good on the ICF-F10, but I'm not sure if it's any better or worse than my other radios. FM stations generally come in clearly and I'm able to pull in far away AM stations at night. The antenna doesn't swivel, which is kind of weird, so you may have to move the radio around more to get optimal reception.

One of the best features of the ICF-F10 is its speaker. You can feel the speaker vibrate when you hold it. It can get surprisingly loud (2 on the volume knob is enough to fill a large room) and it has a nice tone. It is a little tinny and bright, but the sound from the speaker is relatively full and open for this type of radio. Vocals in particular are pleasant and warm. I have a Grundig YB400PE that is similar in size and was much more expensive, but the Sony sounds better.

There is a headphone jack on the radio, although it only plays in mono. Using stereo headphones, I was able to get sound in the left ear, but not the right one, which I think is normal. You'll need an adapter or headphones with a mono switch to get sound in both ears. Or you could just use a single ear bud. The jack works okay and the sound isn't bad (talk radio sounds fine), but since it's not in stereo, I'll probably rarely use headphones.

The ICF-F10 runs on two D batteries (not included). There's no AC adapter or an input to accommodate one. That might be a negative for some people, but I find myself carrying the radio around the house more because it's not tethered to a cord.

It seems like D batteries are kind of rare these days; AA or USB rechargeable Li-ion batteries are more popular now. Radios that need a lot of batteries can be a hassle though (my Grundig uses six AAs) and I like to reserve AA batteries for flashlights during a power outage. In contrast to USB rechargeable players, something like my iPod Touch or Sansa Clip might run for around 20 hours on a full charge, while the ICF-F10 claims to have a battery life of 200 hours. I'm hoping that the Sony's batteries will last for a couple of years or more with occasional light use.

My guess is that this radio isn't really meant to appeal to the American market; it's probably geared more towards countries that lack a reliable power grid (though you could argue that power in the US isn't exactly reliable either). In addition to emergencies, you could also use the ICF-F10 as an everyday desk radio. It might be tempting to bring it along on camping trips because of its long battery life and the fact that it's very light weight, but there are relatively large slots in the back of the radio that aren't covered by a grill cloth, so I'd be concerned about dust and dirt getting into the case.

All in all, I'm happy with the radio. I've been using it more than I thought I would. It's definitely a bargain at around $15. I would like some kind of LED indicator to show that the power is on and the sloppy volume knob can be aggravating, but those are my only complaints. For less than twenty bucks, it's a good value and makes a nice add-on to any Amazon order.
on February 19, 2013
Howdy Folks

I don't write many reviews for Amazon, but every once in a while when I get a really good product, I'll throw in my 2 cents and write a review.

I originally bought this radio to bump up a free shipping order, I didn't really expect a great radio when I bought it at this price, I was in for a pleasant surprise!

I live in an extreme fringe area in deep woods, and to make matters worse, I have a metal roof on my house which really messes up radio reception.

This Sony is actually 8 inches long and 5 inches high, It works very well on FM and pretty good on AM, the radio puts out plenty of volume and the tone is good.

The radio looks nice, is simple to operate, it also comes with a cheap looking plastic strap to serve as a handle, but I have already throw that away, it's easy enough to grab hold of and carry somewhere else.

I use mine for a kitchen table radio, and drag it out to the deck when BBQing, it's also been camping and does pretty good there also.

I don't think this little Sony can be beat when you compare the modest price and the quality performance it delivers.
0Comment| 188 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 2, 2017
Difficult to find a plain, old-fashioned radio with great sound quality. Especially enjoy the sound clarity. This radio pulls in stations I did not know were in the broadcast area. Use on AM, mostly talk radio. No station drift and does not pick up electronic interference as some other radios do. If you are looking for a basic no-frills radio with great reception and sound quality, you will enjoy this Sony.
on March 7, 2017
I'm not sure if there's something wrong with this particular unit, but it barely picks up any FM stations, let alone AM. I can't receive ANY inside. I got it from Amazon Warehouse Deals, but I think it must have been returned because if this exact problem. I wonder how many times this same radio has been returned! I'm returning it too. Maybe you'll have a better outcome.
on November 12, 2016
This review is for the Sony ICF-F10 Two 2 Band FM/AM Portable Battery Operated Radio.
We were recently without electricity for 5 days. After this experience, I decided I needed another battery operated radio so I could stay informed about what is happening should we were face this situation again, which is very likely.
This radio measures about 8 inches in length and about 5 inches in height. The knobs for tuning and volume are found on the front of the radio. The knobs are large enough to make tuning easy for someone with eyesight problems. The AM/FM Off control is found on the side of the radio.
The radio has a telescopic antenna. The antenna can be raised or lowered to receive the best reception. The antenna can be adjusted at an angle if needed for better reception.
The AM reception is affected by the direction in which the radio is turned, so you will need to turn the radio until you receive the best reception.
The radio is operated with 2 D batteries. The batteries are not included. The batteries are installed in the compartment on the back of the radio.
The radio came with operating instructions and a carrying strap. The operating instructions are in English and 7 other languages.
The radio has a jack for earphones. The earphones do not come with the radio, you must supply your own. The earphone jack is located on the side of the radio below the AM/FM OFF switch.
The radio is lightweight. I received good reception and the sound was good. I received the best reception on the FM stations.
This is a basic radio. It is sufficient to meet my needs and I am pleased with this purchase. It is important to be prepared for the next outage and not to wait until it happens.
review image
This Sony Icf-f10 Am Fm Portable Radio, 2 D CELLS, Runs for WEEKS! Great STORM Radio is a simple radio that does not require a book of instructions to operate and runs for over 200 hours on TWO ,easy to find, 'D' cells. It has a good receiver with a large speaker and has a simple ,but QUALITY feel to it that gives confidence to it's ability to work when needed. Great for listening to NEWS,WEATHER,TALK RADIO, and does a fair job with music.You really can't go wrong with this radio and at such a good price too.

I have used this radio every day for over TWO YEARS and like it even more. I am now using it with "D" cell rechargeable batteries because I use the same batteries in a lamp and it sounds great even with the rechargeable cells providing 2.4 rather than 3 volts to the radio. This is a great radio and still runs over 200 hours from 2 "D" cells and 150 or so hours from the rechargeable TENERGY "D" cells.

Just an additional comment ,I am not in great health and so am home all day,this radio actually does not get turned off as I find myself and my dog sleep better with talk radio on at night and so now I just charge the batteries while I am out to Sunday lunch and put them back to work that night....the 10 Amp Hour batteries last all week at 24 hours a day and the radio is doing a great job,though I do have a spare radio now as it really dose help me sleep.

If this looks familiar ,it is a repeat of my original post as I just can't say enough good things about this solid,simple,super little radio.
on May 1, 2017
Good product. I like the idea of a efficient am/fm radio with long battery life. I have two minor issues, which are more about me than the radio. The volume knob has no tactile feedback, that is to say that it spins without resistance. It feels cheap, and might change the volume with the slightest touch. My other thought is that a tiny LED to alert the user that the radio is on when the volume is to zero. I have left the radio on and turned down for days, which was my mistake. Lets hope that the battery drain is minimal while on and volume is set to zero. Really minor issues, otherwise its a great battery only Radio. Two D cells.
on February 3, 2016
Hard to tune on AM or FM, reception is OK and the AM (MW) band in the USA goes up to 1710 Khz, this one goes to 1640 Khz (barely). I collect radios but I would not recommend this one to anyone. When the radio tunes into a station the sound is full.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.