Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Digital Albums PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Wonder Woman now available on Blu-ray, 3D, and 4K Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 968 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 993 reviews
on September 24, 2013
This is a great radio for minimalists, people on-the-move, or people who just don't like stringing cords all over the house. I've had this little gem long enough to test it out, and I even decided to buy a second one because it's so economical to have one in my everyday carry bag...and because I have a bit of a radio addiction right now. With all of that said, let's get down to business:

+ Sound: It's got that warm, slightly-tinny classic radio sound that I just love. It doesn't get amazing low's and high's, but it isn't built to! The great thing is, it takes having the volume turned up almost to the maximum in order to hear any volume-based distortion at all! That in itself is quite amazing. I sometimes put this radio outside of the shower in the mornings, and can hear it above the sound of running water AND the exhaust fan, with no distortion!

+ Reception: This little jewel barely has any drift whatsoever! Also, electronic interference doesn't seem to decimate the signal as badly as it does with some of my other battery-powered radios. Perhaps its power consumption makes its ability to pull and maintain a signal much stronger? I'm not sure, but it falters far less than others (like the ICF-38 and the ICF-S10MK2) when it comes to electromagnetic interference.

+ Economy: It's fifteen dollars! What more could one ask for in a basic-featured radio?? The battery life alone seems quite economical (I have yet to wear out the first set with almost daily use [1-3 hours]), and one can purchase rechargeable batteries (or at least D-cell spacers so that you can use rechargeable AA's) in order to save more money on battery costs. In my opinion, 200 hours of play out of a pair of D-cells certainly seems worth the price of admission. Some might complain that this model has no built-in power cord option like the ICF-38, but when the grid power in your home fails, this little baby will still be going strong.

+ Durability: Feels durable enough, although I DO NOT abuse my electronic devices. Do I carry them all over the states with me? Sure, but I DO NOT intentionally treat things badly in order to see how far they can be pushed. I have not performed any drop tests on it; nor do I plan to. Speaking of drops...

- The carrying strap feels like it will disintegrate at any moment. This isn't a huge gripe, so I only subtracted 1/2 star...the reason being: If you don't want people dropping such a fine radio and having to replace it often, you'll give them a better carrying option! That being said, I fashioned a rudimentary carrying strap out of paracord that will be more than sufficient.

- The tuning knobs feel a little loose, and therefore seem to "lag" a bit when you're adjusting the volume or tuning. For this, I subtracted another 1/2 star...although truthfully it shouldn't bother you if you love sticking with your favorite channel like I do. That being said, I may just end up taking this radio apart and modifying the knobs so that they turn a bit more stubbornly. Your mileage may vary, but I thought this was worth mentioning.

Bottom Line: When it comes to having a radio around for a long time that won't break the bank, this no-frills package gets the job done.
review image
0Comment| 145 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 29, 2012
This is a decent radio at a good price. Mine seemed to have good sensitivity and fair selectivity (was good at pulling in faint signals and fair at separating signals that were close to each other on the dial). Sound quality from the single speaker was good for the price.

It is simple and basic. The tuning and volume knobs are on the front. A three position switch- off, AM and FM, bottom to top- is on the right, along with an earphone jack. I would have preferred that the on-off switch be combined with the volume knob instead of the AM-FM band switch, because in turning on the radio to FM you must pass through the AM band first, and since I am operating my radio in an office full of computers this results in a momentary blast of electronic computer noise. That's a minor objection, though, more a matter of taste than anything else.

The earphone jack accepts a standard miniature stereo headphone plug, but the radio is mono only, and the sound will only come out of the left side of the stereo headphones. I presume that the radio is set up this way for convenience; stereo earbuds are a lot more common these days than the one-sided earphone a radio like this would have had back in the old days.

The radio doesn't have an AC cord, or even a socket to allow use of an external AC transformer. The only source of power is a pair of D cells. This may not be an issue, since it is very likely that the batteries will last a good long time. The manual that came with the radio claimed the batteries would last 220 hours on AM or 200 on FM, but didn't say whether this was continuous play or some limited time per day. (Batteries will generally give a longer total life if you use them a half hour, hour, or so, and then turn the radio off for a while.)

The radio is a bit less than 8 inches long. I'd guess it weighs between 1 and 2 pounds.

I have fancier radios that I use to try to pull in faint and weak stations. They have better selectivity and sensitivity than the Sony ICF-F10, but they are also more complicated to operate and cost a lot more. I wouldn't recommend this set for the faint signal "DXing" hobby, but it seems to give good results on any radio station strong enough that you might actually want to listen to it for an hour or two at a time.

It's definitely good enough for local AM and FM stations during the day, and one of the AM stations I got with it clearly at night was 700 miles away, so I would say it is adequate for an emergency radio to use during power failures and the like. Especially if you have some spare D cells for your flashlights; this radio uses the same D cells. It would also be a good radio for the garage, working outdoors, picnics, and the like. It will give good service, and at the price it will hurt a lot less if this falls into the creek than it would if you did the same with some fancier digital set.

Myself, I bought it to use in my office. It's great for that, because it does very well with a clear signal, and the weak and rare signals aren't going to be able to break through the office's fluorescent light and computer electronic hash anyway.
44 comments| 197 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 19, 2013
Howdy Folks

I don't write many reviews for Amazon, but every once in a while when I get a really good product, I'll throw in my 2 cents and write a review.

I originally bought this radio to bump up a free shipping order, I didn't really expect a great radio when I bought it at this price, I was in for a pleasant surprise!

I live in an extreme fringe area in deep woods, and to make matters worse, I have a metal roof on my house which really messes up radio reception.

This Sony is actually 8 inches long and 5 inches high, It works very well on FM and pretty good on AM, the radio puts out plenty of volume and the tone is good.

The radio looks nice, is simple to operate, it also comes with a cheap looking plastic strap to serve as a handle, but I have already throw that away, it's easy enough to grab hold of and carry somewhere else.

I use mine for a kitchen table radio, and drag it out to the deck when BBQing, it's also been camping and does pretty good there also.

I don't think this little Sony can be beat when you compare the modest price and the quality performance it delivers.
0Comment| 196 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 10, 2014
The sound is fairly loud for this type/size radio. The stations come in good, but like most these radios you have to move it a bit to get that signal just right. The earphone jack is mono(comes out one ear), but pretty much all these type radios are. It takes 2 D size bateries which makes it long lasting, it lists up to 200 hours which I have not tested but I don't doubt it. Some people prefer the smaller battery type radios, but those will last half as long if your lucky. If your outside this will be loud enough for others around a table to hear well. I recommend this for sports or talk radio listening, but the FM music stations come in fine also. I bought this mostly to listen to some sports games on NFL and MLB because on your phone/tablet you need to pay yearly or monthly subscriptions to listen to their audio broadcasts which is stupid, but it's free on any radio like this one as it should be for local teams.
on September 17, 2017
Great little radio that I ordered for hurricane Irma. It made it to Hialeah FL and got held up when it was supposed to be in Cape Coral, FL on Thursday. It made it to the UPS depot on Friday morning, the 8th, and UPS locked up shop to wait out the storm. It finally arrived Saturday, the 16th. I told the UPS driver what was in the package and said, " great timing", as the power had come back on an hour before, after being without for 6 long, HOT days and nights. He replied, "We have a warehouse full of freshly delivered generators too!" We both laughed. Great little radio and will work fine... for the NEXT storm, I guess.
on September 7, 2017
I ordered this am/fm radio because of it's rating and more importantly because my significant other needed a new one. He is use to high priced portable radios, but I wasn't going that far... This radio arrived quickly and packaged well. The radio has an easy to read displace and large enough buttons for his big hands to maneuver. The reception is perfect for us, he receives all the channels he previously received with his old one and then some. The only suggestion I would make in design would be to put a handle on it. The radio does come with a fabric/flat type string, but it was difficult to install and not as functional as a real handle would be.
on February 5, 2017
This radio is a good value for the price. It plays all of the stations I need (admittedly few) and many that I don't. It does a good job of picking up a station that even my Bose won't bring in clearly. I like its portability (I didn't need AC/DC) and the sound and tone are good and clear, esp. on FM. AM is a bit sketchy as it is on EVERY radio I own, but good enough. A flimsy little strap comes with it, but I don't see any practical use for it. I bought this to keep in a bathroom. I bought it to replace the Sony ICF-S79W shower radio, which sadly has been discontinued (why else can I only find it for over $100, when I paid around $54 each for the three I bought?). Now THAT is a workhorse.(It even has a weather band). I had them for several years, even leaving them hanging on a tree branch in the rain with that strong polyester rope on it. But eventually, the FM quit working on one and the control buttons quit working on one of them. If I had treated them better, they would probably be performing at 100 percent now. Anyway, if you can find one at a reasonable price, BUY IT!. This ICF-F10 radio is good, and I'll take it to the garden when I work, but I'll have to be really careful about bringing it in; it probably won't stand up to the rain. And this one costs less than half of the ICF-S79W, so I guess you get what you pay for.
on March 8, 2017
Good reception (good sensitivity overall) and good, clear and full sound from the lager speaker.
Not a tiny pocket radio: good medium size, runs on large (D) batteries - should last a while...
However, way too much play in both the tuning and volume knobs - very annoying and unacceptable in a Sony brand product.
Also, strange Off/AM/FM switch.
Overall, good value for the money (paid 20 bucks). Good for using around the home/office/shop.
on July 3, 2016
Nice little radio, perfect for my desk at work. Has good reception and easy to operate. Only negative is, as others have said, the volume goes from almost silent to instantly louder. No middle ground. Quite hard to adjust when you are at work and you want it loud enough to hear it but not too loud to disturb your coworkers. But all in all still a good radio for the price.
on March 28, 2017
A lovely little AM/FM radio. Basic, no frills, but works great! Feels and looks much better than "cheaper" units. The sound quality isn't bad at all either. Uses two "D" batteries. A great item for any emergency or power outage kit, or just to take to the beach, camping, etc.