Industrial Deals Salon Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon soul2soul soul2soul soul2soul  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on September 24, 2013
This is a great radio for minimalists, people on-the-move, or people who just don't like stringing cords all over the house. I've had this little gem long enough to test it out, and I even decided to buy a second one because it's so economical to have one in my everyday carry bag...and because I have a bit of a radio addiction right now. With all of that said, let's get down to business:

+ Sound: It's got that warm, slightly-tinny classic radio sound that I just love. It doesn't get amazing low's and high's, but it isn't built to! The great thing is, it takes having the volume turned up almost to the maximum in order to hear any volume-based distortion at all! That in itself is quite amazing. I sometimes put this radio outside of the shower in the mornings, and can hear it above the sound of running water AND the exhaust fan, with no distortion!

+ Reception: This little jewel barely has any drift whatsoever! Also, electronic interference doesn't seem to decimate the signal as badly as it does with some of my other battery-powered radios. Perhaps its power consumption makes its ability to pull and maintain a signal much stronger? I'm not sure, but it falters far less than others (like the ICF-38 and the ICF-S10MK2) when it comes to electromagnetic interference.

+ Economy: It's fifteen dollars! What more could one ask for in a basic-featured radio?? The battery life alone seems quite economical (I have yet to wear out the first set with almost daily use [1-3 hours]), and one can purchase rechargeable batteries (or at least D-cell spacers so that you can use rechargeable AA's) in order to save more money on battery costs. In my opinion, 200 hours of play out of a pair of D-cells certainly seems worth the price of admission. Some might complain that this model has no built-in power cord option like the ICF-38, but when the grid power in your home fails, this little baby will still be going strong.

+ Durability: Feels durable enough, although I DO NOT abuse my electronic devices. Do I carry them all over the states with me? Sure, but I DO NOT intentionally treat things badly in order to see how far they can be pushed. I have not performed any drop tests on it; nor do I plan to. Speaking of drops...

- The carrying strap feels like it will disintegrate at any moment. This isn't a huge gripe, so I only subtracted 1/2 star...the reason being: If you don't want people dropping such a fine radio and having to replace it often, you'll give them a better carrying option! That being said, I fashioned a rudimentary carrying strap out of paracord that will be more than sufficient.

- The tuning knobs feel a little loose, and therefore seem to "lag" a bit when you're adjusting the volume or tuning. For this, I subtracted another 1/2 star...although truthfully it shouldn't bother you if you love sticking with your favorite channel like I do. That being said, I may just end up taking this radio apart and modifying the knobs so that they turn a bit more stubbornly. Your mileage may vary, but I thought this was worth mentioning.

Bottom Line: When it comes to having a radio around for a long time that won't break the bank, this no-frills package gets the job done.
review image
151 helpful votes
152 helpful votes
11 comment|Report abuse
on December 29, 2012
This is a decent radio at a good price. Mine seemed to have good sensitivity and fair selectivity (was good at pulling in faint signals and fair at separating signals that were close to each other on the dial). Sound quality from the single speaker was good for the price.

It is simple and basic. The tuning and volume knobs are on the front. A three position switch- off, AM and FM, bottom to top- is on the right, along with an earphone jack. I would have preferred that the on-off switch be combined with the volume knob instead of the AM-FM band switch, because in turning on the radio to FM you must pass through the AM band first, and since I am operating my radio in an office full of computers this results in a momentary blast of electronic computer noise. That's a minor objection, though, more a matter of taste than anything else.

The earphone jack accepts a standard miniature stereo headphone plug, but the radio is mono only, and the sound will only come out of the left side of the stereo headphones. I presume that the radio is set up this way for convenience; stereo earbuds are a lot more common these days than the one-sided earphone a radio like this would have had back in the old days.

The radio doesn't have an AC cord, or even a socket to allow use of an external AC transformer. The only source of power is a pair of D cells. This may not be an issue, since it is very likely that the batteries will last a good long time. The manual that came with the radio claimed the batteries would last 220 hours on AM or 200 on FM, but didn't say whether this was continuous play or some limited time per day. (Batteries will generally give a longer total life if you use them a half hour, hour, or so, and then turn the radio off for a while.)

The radio is a bit less than 8 inches long. I'd guess it weighs between 1 and 2 pounds.

I have fancier radios that I use to try to pull in faint and weak stations. They have better selectivity and sensitivity than the Sony ICF-F10, but they are also more complicated to operate and cost a lot more. I wouldn't recommend this set for the faint signal "DXing" hobby, but it seems to give good results on any radio station strong enough that you might actually want to listen to it for an hour or two at a time.

It's definitely good enough for local AM and FM stations during the day, and one of the AM stations I got with it clearly at night was 700 miles away, so I would say it is adequate for an emergency radio to use during power failures and the like. Especially if you have some spare D cells for your flashlights; this radio uses the same D cells. It would also be a good radio for the garage, working outdoors, picnics, and the like. It will give good service, and at the price it will hurt a lot less if this falls into the creek than it would if you did the same with some fancier digital set.

Myself, I bought it to use in my office. It's great for that, because it does very well with a clear signal, and the weak and rare signals aren't going to be able to break through the office's fluorescent light and computer electronic hash anyway.
198 helpful votes
199 helpful votes
44 comments|Report abuse
on February 19, 2013
Howdy Folks

I don't write many reviews for Amazon, but every once in a while when I get a really good product, I'll throw in my 2 cents and write a review.

I originally bought this radio to bump up a free shipping order, I didn't really expect a great radio when I bought it at this price, I was in for a pleasant surprise!

I live in an extreme fringe area in deep woods, and to make matters worse, I have a metal roof on my house which really messes up radio reception.

This Sony is actually 8 inches long and 5 inches high, It works very well on FM and pretty good on AM, the radio puts out plenty of volume and the tone is good.

The radio looks nice, is simple to operate, it also comes with a cheap looking plastic strap to serve as a handle, but I have already throw that away, it's easy enough to grab hold of and carry somewhere else.

I use mine for a kitchen table radio, and drag it out to the deck when BBQing, it's also been camping and does pretty good there also.

I don't think this little Sony can be beat when you compare the modest price and the quality performance it delivers.
199 helpful votes
200 helpful votes
0Comment|Report abuse
This Sony Icf-f10 Am Fm Portable Radio, 2 D CELLS, Runs for WEEKS! Great STORM Radio is a simple radio that does not require a book of instructions to operate and runs for over 200 hours on TWO ,easy to find, 'D' cells. It has a good receiver with a large speaker and has a simple ,but QUALITY feel to it that gives confidence to it's ability to work when needed. Great for listening to NEWS,WEATHER,TALK RADIO, and does a fair job with music.You really can't go wrong with this radio and at such a good price too.

I have used this radio every day for over TWO YEARS and like it even more. I am now using it with "D" cell rechargeable batteries because I use the same batteries in a lamp and it sounds great even with the rechargeable cells providing 2.4 rather than 3 volts to the radio. This is a great radio and still runs over 200 hours from 2 "D" cells and 150 or so hours from the rechargeable TENERGY "D" cells.

Just an additional comment ,I am not in great health and so am home all day,this radio actually does not get turned off as I find myself and my dog sleep better with talk radio on at night and so now I just charge the batteries while I am out to Sunday lunch and put them back to work that night....the 10 Amp Hour batteries last all week at 24 hours a day and the radio is doing a great job,though I do have a spare radio now as it really dose help me sleep.

If this looks familiar ,it is a repeat of my original post as I just can't say enough good things about this solid,simple,super little radio.

HAPPY DAY!!! I must add that when I found one of these ,labeled as USED,for $15,and knowing what a great little radio it is...I jumped at the chance...What did I get?? I just opened the clean factory box and found a radio that had no signs of previous use...NEW IN THE BOX,even the tiny strap and instructions that no-one needs ,or uses.Powered up just fine....looks and works GREAT!!!! Keep an eye out for a great deal on a used radio!
3 helpful votes
on May 10, 2014
The sound is fairly loud for this type/size radio. The stations come in good, but like most these radios you have to move it a bit to get that signal just right. The earphone jack is mono(comes out one ear), but pretty much all these type radios are. It takes 2 D size bateries which makes it long lasting, it lists up to 200 hours which I have not tested but I don't doubt it. Some people prefer the smaller battery type radios, but those will last half as long if your lucky. If your outside this will be loud enough for others around a table to hear well. I recommend this for sports or talk radio listening, but the FM music stations come in fine also. I bought this mostly to listen to some sports games on NFL and MLB because on your phone/tablet you need to pay yearly or monthly subscriptions to listen to their audio broadcasts which is stupid, but it's free on any radio like this one as it should be for local teams.
3 helpful votes
on August 24, 2017
Retro Transistor Radio. It's adequate on AM, but the FM Front End is terrible. It has poor sensitivity and selectivity. It couldn't even tune some strong local stations, and a nearby Christian radio station swamped it with the image of that station appearing twice more on the band. (obviously its single conversion which is ironic considering the nature of the interference:-) Anyway I returned it the next day.
on September 7, 2017
I ordered this am/fm radio because of it's rating and more importantly because my significant other needed a new one. He is use to high priced portable radios, but I wasn't going that far... This radio arrived quickly and packaged well. The radio has an easy to read displace and large enough buttons for his big hands to maneuver. The reception is perfect for us, he receives all the channels he previously received with his old one and then some. The only suggestion I would make in design would be to put a handle on it. The radio does come with a fabric/flat type string, but it was difficult to install and not as functional as a real handle would be.
on October 7, 2017
Sony ICF-F10 Two 2 Band FM/AM Portable Battery Transistor Radio
My husband requested an old-style manual-tuning AM/FM radio, as his old one had finally bitten the dust. He loves talk radio, and especially enjoys listening to local football games. He absolutely loves this radio! The quality of sound is wonderful, yet it's small, light-weight, and easy to carry. He enjoys listening to it out on the patio when the weather's nice. It really does sound good for a small radio. 5 Big Ol' Stars! :D
on February 5, 2017
This radio is a good value for the price. It plays all of the stations I need (admittedly few) and many that I don't. It does a good job of picking up a station that even my Bose won't bring in clearly. I like its portability (I didn't need AC/DC) and the sound and tone are good and clear, esp. on FM. AM is a bit sketchy as it is on EVERY radio I own, but good enough. A flimsy little strap comes with it, but I don't see any practical use for it. I bought this to keep in a bathroom. I bought it to replace the Sony ICF-S79W shower radio, which sadly has been discontinued (why else can I only find it for over $100, when I paid around $54 each for the three I bought?). Now THAT is a workhorse.(It even has a weather band). I had them for several years, even leaving them hanging on a tree branch in the rain with that strong polyester rope on it. But eventually, the FM quit working on one and the control buttons quit working on one of them. If I had treated them better, they would probably be performing at 100 percent now. Anyway, if you can find one at a reasonable price, BUY IT!. This ICF-F10 radio is good, and I'll take it to the garden when I work, but I'll have to be really careful about bringing it in; it probably won't stand up to the rain. And this one costs less than half of the ICF-S79W, so I guess you get what you pay for.
on October 11, 2017
Radio sounds very good and is also sensitive for picking up stations. Can pull in CJAD in Montreal from Ottawa. Sound is very nice.

Purchased from Direct Distributor and product arrived brand new. I'm fussy about this. Very happy with this seller..
0Comment|Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.