Your Garage Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Grocery Handmade Mother's Day Gifts spring Shop Popular Services henriettalacks henriettalacks henriettalacks  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now disgotg_gno_17

Showing 1-10 of 785 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 805 reviews
on December 29, 2012
This is a decent radio at a good price. Mine seemed to have good sensitivity and fair selectivity (was good at pulling in faint signals and fair at separating signals that were close to each other on the dial). Sound quality from the single speaker was good for the price.

It is simple and basic. The tuning and volume knobs are on the front. A three position switch- off, AM and FM, bottom to top- is on the right, along with an earphone jack. I would have preferred that the on-off switch be combined with the volume knob instead of the AM-FM band switch, because in turning on the radio to FM you must pass through the AM band first, and since I am operating my radio in an office full of computers this results in a momentary blast of electronic computer noise. That's a minor objection, though, more a matter of taste than anything else.

The earphone jack accepts a standard miniature stereo headphone plug, but the radio is mono only, and the sound will only come out of the left side of the stereo headphones. I presume that the radio is set up this way for convenience; stereo earbuds are a lot more common these days than the one-sided earphone a radio like this would have had back in the old days.

The radio doesn't have an AC cord, or even a socket to allow use of an external AC transformer. The only source of power is a pair of D cells. This may not be an issue, since it is very likely that the batteries will last a good long time. The manual that came with the radio claimed the batteries would last 220 hours on AM or 200 on FM, but didn't say whether this was continuous play or some limited time per day. (Batteries will generally give a longer total life if you use them a half hour, hour, or so, and then turn the radio off for a while.)

The radio is a bit less than 8 inches long. I'd guess it weighs between 1 and 2 pounds.

I have fancier radios that I use to try to pull in faint and weak stations. They have better selectivity and sensitivity than the Sony ICF-F10, but they are also more complicated to operate and cost a lot more. I wouldn't recommend this set for the faint signal "DXing" hobby, but it seems to give good results on any radio station strong enough that you might actually want to listen to it for an hour or two at a time.

It's definitely good enough for local AM and FM stations during the day, and one of the AM stations I got with it clearly at night was 700 miles away, so I would say it is adequate for an emergency radio to use during power failures and the like. Especially if you have some spare D cells for your flashlights; this radio uses the same D cells. It would also be a good radio for the garage, working outdoors, picnics, and the like. It will give good service, and at the price it will hurt a lot less if this falls into the creek than it would if you did the same with some fancier digital set.

Myself, I bought it to use in my office. It's great for that, because it does very well with a clear signal, and the weak and rare signals aren't going to be able to break through the office's fluorescent light and computer electronic hash anyway.
33 comments| 175 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 24, 2013
This is a great radio for minimalists, people on-the-move, or people who just don't like stringing cords all over the house. I've had this little gem long enough to test it out, and I even decided to buy a second one because it's so economical to have one in my everyday carry bag...and because I have a bit of a radio addiction right now. With all of that said, let's get down to business:

+ Sound: It's got that warm, slightly-tinny classic radio sound that I just love. It doesn't get amazing low's and high's, but it isn't built to! The great thing is, it takes having the volume turned up almost to the maximum in order to hear any volume-based distortion at all! That in itself is quite amazing. I sometimes put this radio outside of the shower in the mornings, and can hear it above the sound of running water AND the exhaust fan, with no distortion!

+ Reception: This little jewel barely has any drift whatsoever! Also, electronic interference doesn't seem to decimate the signal as badly as it does with some of my other battery-powered radios. Perhaps its power consumption makes its ability to pull and maintain a signal much stronger? I'm not sure, but it falters far less than others (like the ICF-38 and the ICF-S10MK2) when it comes to electromagnetic interference.

+ Economy: It's fifteen dollars! What more could one ask for in a basic-featured radio?? The battery life alone seems quite economical (I have yet to wear out the first set with almost daily use [1-3 hours]), and one can purchase rechargeable batteries (or at least D-cell spacers so that you can use rechargeable AA's) in order to save more money on battery costs. In my opinion, 200 hours of play out of a pair of D-cells certainly seems worth the price of admission. Some might complain that this model has no built-in power cord option like the ICF-38, but when the grid power in your home fails, this little baby will still be going strong.

+ Durability: Feels durable enough, although I DO NOT abuse my electronic devices. Do I carry them all over the states with me? Sure, but I DO NOT intentionally treat things badly in order to see how far they can be pushed. I have not performed any drop tests on it; nor do I plan to. Speaking of drops...

- The carrying strap feels like it will disintegrate at any moment. This isn't a huge gripe, so I only subtracted 1/2 star...the reason being: If you don't want people dropping such a fine radio and having to replace it often, you'll give them a better carrying option! That being said, I fashioned a rudimentary carrying strap out of paracord that will be more than sufficient.

- The tuning knobs feel a little loose, and therefore seem to "lag" a bit when you're adjusting the volume or tuning. For this, I subtracted another 1/2 star...although truthfully it shouldn't bother you if you love sticking with your favorite channel like I do. That being said, I may just end up taking this radio apart and modifying the knobs so that they turn a bit more stubbornly. Your mileage may vary, but I thought this was worth mentioning.

Bottom Line: When it comes to having a radio around for a long time that won't break the bank, this no-frills package gets the job done.
review image
on August 8, 2016
Retro looking. Great sound, Sony is unbeatable in the sound quality department. At night, I can listen to AM radio stations 450 miles away. I can't get over how good this unit looks. It's like it belongs to another time. I'm so glad you can still get these for 20 bucks in 2016.

The only minor inconvenience I have found so far is that the headphone jack does not output sound to both earbuds. But that's not really the point of this radio. The main advantage is that it is battery operated and has big simple dials.

I got this unit because I became sick of watching TV, listening to Spotify and downloading music. It got to the point where I got tired of the downloading, syncing, updating my apps. thinking about my data plan, wifi coverage, bluetooth signal strength, etc. I just wanted to listen to good music and listen to the news. This fits the bill perfectly. You will be amazed of what a luxury it is to have simplicity back into your life. Not a lot of people are fortunate enough to realize this and will just look for more features and blinking lights and bright screens and bluetooth and technology without realizing how good we already had it.
on February 19, 2013
Howdy Folks

I don't write many reviews for Amazon, but every once in a while when I get a really good product, I'll throw in my 2 cents and write a review.

I originally bought this radio to bump up a free shipping order, I didn't really expect a great radio when I bought it at this price, I was in for a pleasant surprise!

I live in an extreme fringe area in deep woods, and to make matters worse, I have a metal roof on my house which really messes up radio reception.

This Sony is actually 8 inches long and 5 inches high, It works very well on FM and pretty good on AM, the radio puts out plenty of volume and the tone is good.

The radio looks nice, is simple to operate, it also comes with a cheap looking plastic strap to serve as a handle, but I have already throw that away, it's easy enough to grab hold of and carry somewhere else.

I use mine for a kitchen table radio, and drag it out to the deck when BBQing, it's also been camping and does pretty good there also.

I don't think this little Sony can be beat when you compare the modest price and the quality performance it delivers.
0Comment| 163 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 25, 2017
I don't often write reviews, but this is an exceptional product. This is the BEST AM/FM battery powered radio I've ever owned. I live out in the country, and this picks up all the local stations crystal clear, and even picks up far away stations that I can't get on other radios. This works better than my car radio in picking up distant broadcasts.

Size: The size is perfect, the radio is light weight with only two D-cell batteries so it's perfect for travel and taking it out on a day hike or camping.

Audio: The sound from this is amazing for such a small radio. The speaker is high fidelity and has very good bass and good treble. Perfect audio for music, classical, rock, and talk radio. The speaker sounds clear from soft to full volume. It's LOUD! I can fill my whole house with clear audio. I can turn the radio up quite loud before any distortion comes. You can turn the volume dial up to the 1 or 2 o-clock position before you get any speaker distortion, but that's super loud. I usually keep the volume at the 9 or 10 o-clock position and it's loud enough.

Sensitivity: The AM tuner seems to work very well for me. I can pick up stations all over the northeast on this at night. The tuner dial has a lot of travel with sensitive adjustments which makes tuning in distant stations very easy. It locks onto stations and doesn't drift frequency. FM sounds clear and I get all the FM stations very easily, even distant FM stations I can't even get from my car radio.

Looks: I like the way it looks, and it reminds me of radios from times past. I like the retro colors and styling of this radio.

Controls: The dials are easy to turn, and stay put. The side switch works the on/off, AM, and FM. The nobs wobble a bit but seem strong and durable. Feels like it will last a while.

Power: Runs on 2-D batteries which should last longer than the smaller AA cells. I use it often and am on the same first set of batteries. I hear people getting 200+ hours of play time with this, but battery life depends on volume.

I highly recommend this radio. I've tried many portable radios in the past, and this is the best I've used. At such a low price, you can't miss this deal!
review image review image review image review image review image
on September 24, 2016
I really like the simplicity of this cheaply priced radio, no frill's here, no digital displays to go bad after time, no push buttons that one day will get suck or sticky, it's a very practical radio for what it is, it has very good signal strength, it pulls stations very good. Good seperation between the stations, the knobs are a little sloppy, they wobble a bit, I really do not expect them to break unless you were to force them or hit them or drop it on the knobs. It comes with a carry strap, and a earbud jack in the radio. The speaker does a good job considering it's a mono radio and the speaker fits the radio very well aesthetically, the tuning is close to the stations real numbers however they are a bit off, like 95.5 might be found closer to a bit over 100., not a huge deal for the price of the unit and you will find the station easily enough so I did not subtract a star for that. The only con in this unit, and the reason I removed a star, is the inability to plug it in, it only runs on D batteries, which are claimed to last about 200 hours, which is a considerable amount of time in an emergency when all you need is a a quick update here and there throughout a day, minutes at a time, the batteries would last seemingly for months or even years. and keeping a few extra's on hand for an emergency really extends listening to the radio for many extended periods of time, think years here. But I would still like to be able to plug it in to save my batteries while listening to it..The radio itself is Well made,and it should last a long time, it has a decent antenna as well. It's made by Sony, at a great price, need I say more? Pull the trigger and buy it, if you decide you don't like it you have my permission to send it to me.
on February 15, 2017
I got this radio to use in my car, because my in-car radio is broken. I chose this Sony ICF-F10 based on its reviews and the price. So far this radio is excellent and has lasted longer than the one I'd purchased prior to the Sony. This is a basic bare-bones radio that works very well. I like to listen to an NPR station that is often overpowered by local stations - this Sony is able to hold onto the NPR signal where the previous radio couldn't. It can receive other stations that I couldn't get before. It actually works better in my local area without the antenna extended - more convenient for me. I can also get more volume out of this radio than the other one I had, so I can still hear it with the window open. And the volume remains consistent where my other radio lost volume. The first set of batteries has powered this radio for several months of moderate use, with no signs of failing. Frankly, the Sony ICF-F10 has solved my radio problem and I would recommend it to anyone, especially at this price. An terrific product.
on June 13, 2013
This Sony ICF-F10 radio was purchased through Amazon early this May (2013) and it has been played about nine hours a day, for six weeks now, using the same Duracell D batteries..
.Imagine how pleased I was to be able to use this radio, same batteries, last night during a tornado warning, with lightning, thunder, rain, and high winds for hours.

Of course, static from the storms made too much noise to hear the AM stations, but I did find a friendly voice broadcasting on an FM station about 40 miles away. The station was following NOAA internet screens, and occasionally NOAA radio itself would break in to advise about the storms.

Believe me, I was grateful for this radio and for the Duracell batteries, which held up.

The reviews on Amazon recommending this Sony radio were quite technically detailed and helpful
, and I'd like to recommend these other reviews to you for more info.
Also, this radio comes with a strap-like carrying handle you can "lace" into the top.

Regarding my NOAA battery-powered radio, which did not work last night, I'll have to be more careful that the light on the NOAA radio doesn't get turned on by accident and use up the batteries (2A).

Although it looks as though receiving FM signals takes more juice from the battery than receiving AM-radio signals,
even so, the Sony ICF-F10 radio did its job last night, and the dog and I could follow info on the storms (tons of water from the sky, incessant cloud to ground lightning)and could say some prayers. For God's mercy and protection for all concerned..

All to tell you this radio has wonderful tone and would help, in addition to your other radios, such as solar-powered, in an emergency. Very good price, too.
on December 27, 2012
I've owned this radio for almost a month now. Like a couple of other reviewers have mentioned, I bought it mainly as an inexpensive, simple radio to use during power outages. It's about as no-frills as you can get: it doesn't have a clock or alarm, station presets, a back-light, or even a power-on light (so you have to be careful to make sure it's completely off and not just turned down). I did like the look of the radio though; it has kind of an appealing retro style.

Unfortunately, the ICF-F10 looks more stylish in pictures than it does in real life. Its plastic case is pretty unattractive and out of the box there were scratches on the clear widow over the dial. The radio rocks back and forth on its base slightly and you can jiggle the knobs up and down. It feels a bit cheap overall.

The radio does work reasonably well though. The knobs turn smoothy. The volume knob has a small amount of annoying play, but the tuner knob is precise. It's not as easy as using a digital tuner and it requires some patience, but you can still zero in on the station you want.

Reception is good on the ICF-F10, but I'm not sure if it's any better or worse than my other radios. FM stations generally come in clearly and I'm able to pull in far away AM stations at night. The antenna doesn't swivel, which is kind of weird, so you may have to move the radio around more to get optimal reception.

One of the best features of the ICF-F10 is its speaker. You can feel the speaker vibrate when you hold it. It can get surprisingly loud (2 on the volume knob is enough to fill a large room) and it has a nice tone. It is a little tinny and bright, but the sound from the speaker is relatively full and open for this type of radio. Vocals in particular are pleasant and warm. I have a Grundig YB400PE that is similar in size and was much more expensive, but the Sony sounds better.

There is a headphone jack on the radio, although it only plays in mono. Using stereo headphones, I was able to get sound in the left ear, but not the right one, which I think is normal. You'll need an adapter or headphones with a mono switch to get sound in both ears. Or you could just use a single ear bud. The jack works okay and the sound isn't bad (talk radio sounds fine), but since it's not in stereo, I'll probably rarely use headphones.

The ICF-F10 runs on two D batteries (not included). There's no AC adapter or an input to accommodate one. That might be a negative for some people, but I find myself carrying the radio around the house more because it's not tethered to a cord.

It seems like D batteries are kind of rare these days; AA or USB rechargeable Li-ion batteries are more popular now. Radios that need a lot of batteries can be a hassle though (my Grundig uses six AAs) and I like to reserve AA batteries for flashlights during a power outage. In contrast to USB rechargeable players, something like my iPod Touch or Sansa Clip might run for around 20 hours on a full charge, while the ICF-F10 claims to have a battery life of 200 hours. I'm hoping that the Sony's batteries will last for a couple of years or more with occasional light use.

My guess is that this radio isn't really meant to appeal to the American market; it's probably geared more towards countries that lack a reliable power grid (though you could argue that power in the US isn't exactly reliable either). In addition to emergencies, you could also use the ICF-F10 as an everyday desk radio. It might be tempting to bring it along on camping trips because of its long battery life and the fact that it's very light weight, but there are relatively large slots in the back of the radio that aren't covered by a grill cloth, so I'd be concerned about dust and dirt getting into the case.

All in all, I'm happy with the radio. I've been using it more than I thought I would. It's definitely a bargain at around $15. I would like some kind of LED indicator to show that the power is on and the sloppy volume knob can be aggravating, but those are my only complaints. For less than twenty bucks, it's a good value and makes a nice add-on to any Amazon order.
on January 27, 2013
For an old school radio this guy is hard to beat for under $20. Because I have nothing better to do, lately I've been comparing similar radios to the ICF-F10, and it still comes out on top.
Tuner sensitivity is decent, I get all the stations I should and radio doesn't freak out when I walk by it. I listen to the radio at night next to my computer with it, and aside from my cell phone causing some AM intererence when it is within a foot of the radio, the radio stays tuned in.
From the large speaker you get a decent dynamic range (all things considered). You can turn the volume up pretty high and the sound stays distortion free, loud enough to fill a garage or workshop.
I like the large tuning and volume knobs as opposed to the wheels on similar radios.
All this radio is really lacking is an AC power option. I suppose this is what keeps the price down. That said, after a month I have yet to change the batteries and I listen to it on average for 2 hours a day. With two D batteries and an analog tuner I expect to get another month or two out of these batteries,

The Panasonic RF-2400 has similar sound, but the reception is not as good and is really prone to interference. At double the price it isn't worth it. The Supersonic SC-1085 has similar issues and inferior build quality. The Sony SRF-18 has tiny tinny speakers. I haven't owned the ICF-24, but other reviewers have, so you can see what they say about the two similar models.
The Sony ICF-18 (not SRF-18) appears to be the same radio but all black. Personally I like the genlty retro styling of the ICF-F10.
Highly recommended!

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.