Spring Deals Automotive HPC Best Books of the Month New-season heels nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. GNO for Samsung S9 Fire TV Stick: $29.99. Offer ends 3/26/18 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18SW_gno

First impression was underwhelming. First off, this radio is noticeably smaller than I expected. Immediately out of the box, the first thing I touched was the Tuner knob and it literally wobbled in my fingers. Both the Tuner and Volume knobs are loose and wobbly. In regard to function, there was noticeable "play" in both knobs. I can tolerate a minor amount of play in the tuning knob; however, not in the volume knob. If I want to adjust the volume up or down just ever so slightly, I can't control the volume precisely with play in the knob. That's a deal breaker for me. The body is plastic. I expected that and it's probably more sturdy than you'd first think. All the Sony radios that I have turned out to be more durable than they appear. I also bought a Panasonic RF-2400 so I could compare the two and return the inferior product. No AC power option on the Sony, only batteries (and I knew that going in). Runs off 2 D size, which can be expensive, but D batteries tend to last for months (the radio has no electronic moving parts so battery drain is minimal). The Panasonic has the option of plugging it into AC power with the (included) power cord. The Sony speaker is 3 1/4 inches. The Panasonic has a 4 inch speaker and gets quite loud without distortion. The Sony also gets loud but doesn't sound quite as "full" as the Panasonic (and that's not to say the Panasonic sounds full either). As mentioned, the Sony's body is all plastic. The Panasonic has a metal grille protecting the speaker. Asthetically, the Sony looks better to me. The Sony looks like a radio from the 1970s or early 80s while the Panasonic looks like a radio from the 1990s.
Another big issue for me was tuning. The Sony has more sensitivity on FM thanks to an antenna that is about 5 inches longer than the Panasonic. The problem is the Sony does not have the selectivity to match the sensitivity so you get lots of stations but many are full of static and bleeding over each other. On the lower end of the FM band, especially, I noticed the Panasonic picked up 2 or 3 stations the Sony just couldn't find. Where I live, we have 2 jazz stations in lower FM. The Sony only found one. The Sony seemed to do better on AM, but again it had more static and bleed over. Compared to a much superior radio, both had inferior tuning sensitivity and selectivity than my Tivoli Model One. So in one of the areas I expected the Sony to dominate, it did not beat the competition. Neither radio's antenna swivels, but they pivot from side to side. The Sony antenna feels thicker and sturdier of the 2 radios.
Yes, the Panasonic was about $8 more (at the time of this writing), but...For the extra money you get a large 4 inch speaker, very good sensitive tuning and better selectivity, and the AC power option.
I had already planned on returning the Panasonic expecting the Sony to be better. Believe me, I REALLY wanted to like this radio. I've never met a Sony radio I didn't like (until now, I guess), but for a cheap mono AM/FM analog radio in the 3 to 4 inch speaker range, the Panasonic RC-2400 is better. A more worthy opponent to the Panasonic might be the Sony ICF-38, but this Sony ICF-F10 just didn't make the grade. This one is getting returned.
22 comments| 3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on March 25, 2017
I don't often write reviews, but this is an exceptional product. This is the BEST AM/FM battery powered radio I've ever owned. I live out in the country, and this picks up all the local stations crystal clear, and even picks up far away stations that I can't get on other radios. This works better than my car radio in picking up distant broadcasts.

Size: The size is perfect, the radio is light weight with only two D-cell batteries so it's perfect for travel and taking it out on a day hike or camping.

Audio: The sound from this is amazing for such a small radio. The speaker is high fidelity and has very good bass and good treble. Perfect audio for music, classical, rock, and talk radio. The speaker sounds clear from soft to full volume. It's LOUD! I can fill my whole house with clear audio. I can turn the radio up quite loud before any distortion comes. You can turn the volume dial up to the 1 or 2 o-clock position before you get any speaker distortion, but that's super loud. I usually keep the volume at the 9 or 10 o-clock position and it's loud enough.

Sensitivity: The AM tuner seems to work very well for me. I can pick up stations all over the northeast on this at night. The tuner dial has a lot of travel with sensitive adjustments which makes tuning in distant stations very easy. It locks onto stations and doesn't drift frequency. FM sounds clear and I get all the FM stations very easily, even distant FM stations I can't even get from my car radio.

Looks: I like the way it looks, and it reminds me of radios from times past. I like the retro colors and styling of this radio.

Controls: The dials are easy to turn, and stay put. The side switch works the on/off, AM, and FM. The nobs wobble a bit but seem strong and durable. Feels like it will last a while.

Power: Runs on 2-D batteries which should last longer than the smaller AA cells. I use it often and am on the same first set of batteries. I hear people getting 200+ hours of play time with this, but battery life depends on volume.

I highly recommend this radio. I've tried many portable radios in the past, and this is the best I've used. At such a low price, you can't miss this deal!
review imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview image
on November 12, 2016
This review is for the Sony ICF-F10 Two 2 Band FM/AM Portable Battery Operated Radio.
We were recently without electricity for 5 days. After this experience, I decided I needed another battery operated radio so I could stay informed about what is happening should we were face this situation again, which is very likely.
This radio measures about 8 inches in length and about 5 inches in height. The knobs for tuning and volume are found on the front of the radio. The knobs are large enough to make tuning easy for someone with eyesight problems. The AM/FM Off control is found on the side of the radio.
The radio has a telescopic antenna. The antenna can be raised or lowered to receive the best reception. The antenna can be adjusted at an angle if needed for better reception.
The AM reception is affected by the direction in which the radio is turned, so you will need to turn the radio until you receive the best reception.
The radio is operated with 2 D batteries. The batteries are not included. The batteries are installed in the compartment on the back of the radio.
The radio came with operating instructions and a carrying strap. The operating instructions are in English and 7 other languages.
The radio has a jack for earphones. The earphones do not come with the radio, you must supply your own. The earphone jack is located on the side of the radio below the AM/FM OFF switch.
The radio is lightweight. I received good reception and the sound was good. I received the best reception on the FM stations.
This is a basic radio. It is sufficient to meet my needs and I am pleased with this purchase. It is important to be prepared for the next outage and not to wait until it happens.
review image
on October 24, 2014
The Sony ICF-F10 radio is an economical radio that performs well. The radio is large enough to produce a pleasant audio profile which makes extended listening comfortable. This radio operates on the 3 volts produced by two D size batteries. The use of D size batteries provides for a long battery life. There is no input for an external power adapter. There is a mono headphone jack. When used with stereo headphones, only one side of the headphones is active. To remedy this problem, use a mono to stereo headphone adapter plug (a separately available option). Both sides of the stereo headphones will then operate with mono sound.

The band selector switch doubles as the on off switch. The volume control has a nice smooth taper which allows listening at very low audio levels. The tuning control has considerable play (looseness) when tuning stations, but this is a minor problem. It seems many recent analog radios use a gear arrangement for tuning instead of the previously popular dial cord linkage. Gear arrangements are more likely to have mechanical play. The Sony was not disassembled, so the tuning linkage was not determined.

The sound is clear and well balanced. The AM band sensitivity and selectivity are good across the entire band indicating good tracking of the receiver. The AM band automatic level control was excellent as tuning from very strong stations to weaker ones resulted in very little volume change. Furthermore, there was no distortion or overloading on strong local stations. A strong AM local station was located less than one mile from the test site and the Sony radio was able to handle the signal with no problem - impressive. Switching to the FM band also produced little volume change indicating careful design engineering. The FM band sensitivity and selectivity are very good with little interference from strong local stations. So overall performance of this economical radio exceeds what might be expected for a radio at this price point. Sony is to be commended for the obvious care which went into the design and production of the ICF-F10 radio.
33 comments| 2 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on September 24, 2013
This is a great radio for minimalists, people on-the-move, or people who just don't like stringing cords all over the house. I've had this little gem long enough to test it out, and I even decided to buy a second one because it's so economical to have one in my everyday carry bag...and because I have a bit of a radio addiction right now. With all of that said, let's get down to business:

+ Sound: It's got that warm, slightly-tinny classic radio sound that I just love. It doesn't get amazing low's and high's, but it isn't built to! The great thing is, it takes having the volume turned up almost to the maximum in order to hear any volume-based distortion at all! That in itself is quite amazing. I sometimes put this radio outside of the shower in the mornings, and can hear it above the sound of running water AND the exhaust fan, with no distortion!

+ Reception: This little jewel barely has any drift whatsoever! Also, electronic interference doesn't seem to decimate the signal as badly as it does with some of my other battery-powered radios. Perhaps its power consumption makes its ability to pull and maintain a signal much stronger? I'm not sure, but it falters far less than others (like the ICF-38 and the ICF-S10MK2) when it comes to electromagnetic interference.

+ Economy: It's fifteen dollars! What more could one ask for in a basic-featured radio?? The battery life alone seems quite economical (I have yet to wear out the first set with almost daily use [1-3 hours]), and one can purchase rechargeable batteries (or at least D-cell spacers so that you can use rechargeable AA's) in order to save more money on battery costs. In my opinion, 200 hours of play out of a pair of D-cells certainly seems worth the price of admission. Some might complain that this model has no built-in power cord option like the ICF-38, but when the grid power in your home fails, this little baby will still be going strong.

+ Durability: Feels durable enough, although I DO NOT abuse my electronic devices. Do I carry them all over the states with me? Sure, but I DO NOT intentionally treat things badly in order to see how far they can be pushed. I have not performed any drop tests on it; nor do I plan to. Speaking of drops...

- The carrying strap feels like it will disintegrate at any moment. This isn't a huge gripe, so I only subtracted 1/2 star...the reason being: If you don't want people dropping such a fine radio and having to replace it often, you'll give them a better carrying option! That being said, I fashioned a rudimentary carrying strap out of paracord that will be more than sufficient.

- The tuning knobs feel a little loose, and therefore seem to "lag" a bit when you're adjusting the volume or tuning. For this, I subtracted another 1/2 star...although truthfully it shouldn't bother you if you love sticking with your favorite channel like I do. That being said, I may just end up taking this radio apart and modifying the knobs so that they turn a bit more stubbornly. Your mileage may vary, but I thought this was worth mentioning.

Bottom Line: When it comes to having a radio around for a long time that won't break the bank, this no-frills package gets the job done.
review image
22 comments| 161 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on September 7, 2017
I ordered this am/fm radio because of it's rating and more importantly because my significant other needed a new one. He is use to high priced portable radios, but I wasn't going that far... This radio arrived quickly and packaged well. The radio has an easy to read displace and large enough buttons for his big hands to maneuver. The reception is perfect for us, he receives all the channels he previously received with his old one and then some. The only suggestion I would make in design would be to put a handle on it. The radio does come with a fabric/flat type string, but it was difficult to install and not as functional as a real handle would be.
on October 7, 2017
Sony ICF-F10 Two 2 Band FM/AM Portable Battery Transistor Radio
My husband requested an old-style manual-tuning AM/FM radio, as his old one had finally bitten the dust. He loves talk radio, and especially enjoys listening to local football games. He absolutely loves this radio! The quality of sound is wonderful, yet it's small, light-weight, and easy to carry. He enjoys listening to it out on the patio when the weather's nice. It really does sound good for a small radio. 5 Big Ol' Stars! :D
on September 20, 2017
Somebody said they got 6 months out of the 2 D cells this takes. That was a lie. I'm on 8 months and its still going, and I use this every day and have accidentally left it on low volume overnight. I can't believe how long the batteries last in this. Tone quality is great too. I use it to listen to AM talk radio half of every day and its great.
on September 22, 2017
I've been online looking for a battery operated radio for sometime. I got this one, because it was a Sony, easy uncomplicated to operate. Well I will tell you its great! The sound comes in very clear, no static, and has a strap for carrying. 10 am 10fm stations.glad I bought great radio small and light and loud. I like a little music!
on July 1, 2017
I get great reception indoors. I'm in an office with no windows. I have no trouble getting the stations I want to listen to. I can easily control the volume. With no power cord, I can move it anywhere I want. I have had this for over a year with the same batteries for the whole time. I use this at M-F 7-6.