Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Sony MDR-ED12LP Budstyle Headphones (Red)
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Britney Spears Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Shop Now STEM

Color: RED|Product Packaging: Standard Packaging|Change
Price:$89.79+ Free shipping

on February 28, 2009
February 28, 2009: OK, this is the fourth pair of in-ear earphones I have had in the last three months: Koss sound isolation (returned; sounded tinny and crappy even after "break in"), Sony over the ear (didnt fit, kept falling out of ear), and the standard Apple iPod earbud that these replaced. These Sonys surprised me on two fronts: 1) the weird shaped earbud fits perfectly inside the ear, and stays in even when running (which I do a lot of); 2) they sound terrific, much better than the Apple buds that cost 4 x as much! I am a Brazilian/Latin DJ, so I listen to a lot of female vocals, guitar, trumpet, piano, and percussion, and trust me, I gave these buds a real workout. These buds are rated at 8 Hz - 22 kHz, and unlike other brands, with these you can actually hear the range. The 108 dB/mW sensitivity rating is pretty high, and again, you can hear it. Unlike the reviewer who complained about excessive bass, using the Flat, Jazz, Lounge, or Acoustic setting on my iPod the midrange is sweet and natural, the highs are crisp with reverb and harmonics accurately reproduced, and the bass is punchy and deep, not boomy or mushy. For under $20, or even under $50, these earbuds are a steal! - DJ Arnoldo

UPDATE April 25, 2012: Wow, this review has been getting lots of attention, so here is an update. Believe it or not, three years later these Sonys are still going strong! Granted that these are my workout earphones, but in the time I have been using these I have gone through Apple earbuds, an expensive pair of Audio Technicas, and a lesser known brand. These all perished after about a year due to broken wires (and an expired warranty). Three years later these Sonys still sound great, and are still chugging along! -- DJ Arnoldo

UPDATE October 18, 2014: Five years later, these Sony earbuds finally bit the dust when the signal to the left earbud quit. These have been my workout earphones since 2009 and they have served me well. This model was discontinued, but try to find a similar Sony model. I know I will.
88 comments| 351 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 21, 2009
I personally have several pairs of headphones and earbuds ranging in several prices and brands. As far as I can tell, Koss makes the best headsets, even better than the Bose ones in my opinion, BUT these Sony earbuds must be the best earbuds I have ever owned.

1. They have excellent sound quality that I haven't really seen in many earbuds.

2. They stay where they are suppose to be, in the ear, but not really IN the ear like most earbuds, these earbuds slide into the outside of the ear and barely go into your canal, leaving little to discomfort.

3. They have bass built in, but not obnoxious bass, so you can enjoy music the way it was intended.

Find this Helpful, then hit yes!
0Comment| 241 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse

Find this Helpful, then hit yes!
1111 comments| 72 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 20, 2008
My search is over...I had to find ear buds that don't fall out of my ear during my workout and deliver a full range of sound. I thought the stock iPod buds were fine, but I knew I could find a better sounding set of ear phones/buds out there. I do care about the sound quality of my music.

After trying the VModa Bass, Sony MDR EX75, there is no comparison. I was giving up hope that I could find a decent sounding ear bud under $100. The VModa and EX75 both sounded distorted with no low end. I was very surprised they received high ratings on Amazon. I have a Nano 4g, so I was started to think it was the player, but I did not want to give up hope...

Let me tell you...these ear buds deliver an unbelievable range of sound, clear highs and lots of clean low end. I think the key factor is the large size driver (16mm on this one, most others are 8mm). These ear buds stay in my ear, without falling out. One little negative is the relatively long chord (3.9 ft). The higher end Sony ear buds have a shorter chord, with an optional extender.

When you factor in the price point, I think we have a winner.
on October 3, 2009
I've had these earbuds for a year now. Initially, these earbuds were uncomfortable and made my ears sore after an hour or so. However, after falling asleep while wearing these earbuds for a couple of nights, my ears got used to the fit and now I can wear them all day pain free. The fit of these earbuds is VERY good (once you get used to them) and they never fall out even when I run and workout.

Although the cord is fairly thin, they are much more durable than I had expected. The earpieces have been pulled out countless of times after getting snagged on the corner of desks and chairs and there is no evidence of wear and tear on either the earpieces or the plug - even after particularly violent pull outs.

The sound of these headphones is very clear and balanced with very good bass. The silver plug like thing acts as a sound cabinet which is where he extra bass comes from. They are significantly better than the iPod stock headphones and better than Altec Lansing UHP206 which I bought and returned at BestBuy for $50. The sound quality of the UHP206 was no where near that of these Sony headphones (especially the bass).

Also, these headphones don't require much cleaning either. Earwax doesn't seem to build up on these.

My only complaint with these headphones is that they don't isolate any sound so background noise will still be a problem and the cord is easily tangled. Other than that, these headphones are definitely worth it.
on December 1, 2010
For $15, these are the best ear buds you will ever buy. The sound quality is great, and they can handle bass easily. They are very comfortable, although I give them a "4.9/5" in comfort because if you wear them for several hours at a time, they will start to irritate your ear. However, if you wear them often, even long sessions wearing these will not cause any discomfort. I can wear them as long as I want and I no longer have any discomfort.

The wire may seem thin, but it is actually very strong. I have accidentally yanked it out rather hard numerous times, and there has been no damage. I am writing this review because they just died on me yesterday (the left ear stopped working), and they are over 4 years old. Ear buds that last this long after daily use for hours at a time are unheard of, at least by me. If you want long-lasting earphones for a great price, buy this product.
on January 3, 2009
I was very skeptical when I saw this at the store, I really didn't believe it would sound any better than the ones I intended to buy (the GUMY ones) I only bought this because they only had a pink one of the GUMY earphone, and I was afraid that the extra $5 was not worth it and besides they looked weird + it says "Heavy Bass"...which I didn't care about..but:

This is much more than what I expected! The sound quality is so much better! it made me like and listen to my old MP3s and notice things that weren't on there before. Very nice bass and is actually pretty comfortable (once you know how to put them on haha - maybe its just me)
on November 30, 2008
I was looking for headphones I could wear at the gym or while doing yard work. These are a comfortable fit, stay in my ear and sound great. The cord is a bit long for my tastes and activities but I use a tie wrap to shorten it. Very happy with the quality and ruggedness as well as the sound!
on September 23, 2009
I go through earbuds like mad, so I was excited to try out the Sony Mdr-Ed12's which promised decent audio quality at a very reasonable price. While the price is indeed quite nice and the sound pretty good, I did find them difficult to fit with their oddly shaped, pre-formed earpieces. All in all, I would probably buy them again, but they are difficult to fit in your ears and tend to fall out.