|Screen Size||2.4 inches|
Sony 16GB Microvault USB Flash Drive for Smartphone (USM16SA1/B)
- Enter your model number to make sure this fits.
- Transfer files between your smartphone, computer or tablet using the dual micro USB and USB 2.0 connections
- Compatible with most Android TM devices for easy content transfer
- Backup and transfer photos or video content from your smartphone or tablet to PC
- Store your favorite photo/video/music files on the Smartphone USB and enjoy them on your smartphone or tablet
- Smartphone USB makes sharing photos and videos between two smartphones quick and easy
- Lockable rotating cap and LED light indicating data transfer
- Downloadable File Manager software - Easily manage all of your files from your smartphone or tablet. Search, copy, delete, playback and sort your files with ease. The File Manager application is free to download from Google Play
- USB2.0 compatible
There is a newer model of this item:
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Compare to similar items
This item Sony 16GB Microvault USB Flash Drive for Smartphone (USM16SA1/B)
|Shipping||—||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping|
|Sold By||Available from these sellers||joygoods||Amazon.com||Amazon.com||Amazon.com||Amazon.com|
|Digital Storage Capacity||16 GB||16 GB||16 GB||32 GB||32 GB||64 GB|
|Hardware Connectivity||USB 2.0, USB 2.0||USB 3.0||USB 3.0||USB 3.0||USB 2.0||USB 3.0|
|Item Dimensions||4.93 x 6.11 x 0.2 in||0.55 x 3.27 x 5.32 in||4.2 x 5.9 x 0.2 in||0.39 x 4.17 x 5.9 in||0.2 x 5.9 x 4.2 in||0.65 x 1.18 x 0.33 in|
|Item Weight||—||0.48 ounces||0.56 ounces||—||0.56 ounces||0.16 ounces|
|Memory Storage Capacity||16||16 GB||16 GB||32||32 GB||64 GB|
Smartphone USB transfers files between your smartphone, computer or tablet using its dual micro USB and USB 2.0 connections. It is compatible with most Android devices1 for easy content transfer, no cords or network required.
Two-In-One Design for Easy Transfer and Backup
Transfer and backup files between your smartphone, computer or tablet using the dual micro USB and USB 2.0 connections1.
Store your favorite photo/video/music files on the Smartphone USB and enjoy them on your smartphone or tablet.
Smartphone USB makes sharing photos and videos between two smartphones quick and easy.
Stylish and Compact
Available in 3 fashionable colors and very compact, Smartphone USB features a lockable rotating cap with strap hole for convenient carrying and an LED light that indicates data transfer.
Downloadable File Manager Software
Easily manage all of your files from your smartphone or tablet. Search, copy, delete, playback and sort your files with ease. The File Manager application is free to download from Google Play.
Available in three capacities, 8, 16 and 32GB2 and three stylish colors, violet, black, and white, Smartphone USB is an easy way to transfer data back and forth between your smartphone and computer.
1. Before you use Micro Vault USM-SA1, please check the Android version of your smartphone or tablet to confirm your device supports the USB Storage function and OS Google Android 4.0.3 or later. Please do not use Micro Vault USM-SA1 to connect PC/smartphone/tablet at the same time. This product can be used with USB Flash Drive compatible Android smartphones and tablets. Lock the cap before connecting USM-SA1 to the PC.
2. Capacity is based on 1 GB = 1 billion bytes. A portion of the memory is used for data management functions and therefore usable storage capacity will be less.
Compatible Operating Systems: Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Vista, Mac OS X 10.4 or later, Google Android 4.0.3 or later.
Top customer reviews
First thing I tried was to pull off the cover for the micro-USB port. It won't come off! Then I looked at the back of package and learned that it is 'twist-off' cap, not a pull-off cap ('DOH' moment!) This makes perfect sense when I think about it, since otherwise the cap would come off every time I unplug this drive from USB port.
Next, I inserted the microvault drive into the micro-USB port of my Samsung Galaxy S3. The 'My Files' app pops up automatically, showing '/storage/UsbDriveA' (the microvault drive). Now I can navigate between Device storage (phone's internal memory), SD memory card, and the external USB drive. I can also freely copy or move files from one storage to another. It is all very intuitive.
One important spec missing from the Amazon product description is the data transfer speed. I tested the read/write speed of this drive on my computer with USB 2.0 port. According to CrystalDiskMark:
- Sequential Read = 23.4MB/s
- Sequential Write = 12.9MB/s
(See the screenshot I uploaded to `Customer Images' section for details)
This performance is equivalent to that of a 'class-10' memory card. It is actually faster than most of my old USB 2.0 flash drives. For example, the Kingston DataTraveler 101 G2 gives around 20MB/s read, and 11MB/s write.
Having an external USB drive means I can play music or video directly from the USB drive, instead of having to copy the files from my computer to the phone's internal memory. There is, however, one drawback: My phone (and most of my tablets) uses micro-USB port for charging. So when this microvault drive is connected, the phone has to run from battery power only. That could be a problem if I want to play a full movie directly from the external drive.
- There is a green LED on the side of the drive. It flashes only when the drive is being accessed.
- The drive feels quite warm when it was removed, even without doing any read/write operations. This is normal for all compact USB flash drives.
- The capacity of this '32GB' drive, as reported by my phone, is 30.22GB. This is because computer people count one Gig as '2 to the power 30', which is 7.4% greater than one billion. So 30.22GB is actually 32.4 billion bytes.
The Sony Microvault drive works great for transferring data between my computer, phone, and various tablets. It also serves as a compact USB drive with decent read/write speed. I'm very happy with this purchase.
[Update on July 28, 2014]
I also purchased the SanDisk Ultra Micro USB 2.0 OTG Flash Drive, just to compare it against the Sony Microvault. See my review on it for details:
This little flash drive is attractive and uses normal 2.0 USB on one side and a micro USB under the cap on top. It's made of plastic and super light. It's ultra portable and also looks great attached to a laptop. It can conceivably stay attached to almost any gadget permanently without having to take it out when you have take your phone, tablet or laptop. It can pretty much stay attached. The drive works as any flash drive but allows you to use the micro usb to plug into smart phones and tablets allowing you to use it as an expanded drive. It stores everything a normal flash drive stores. This is so awesome for smart phones and laptops making it extremely convenient to take content from your pc and transfer it to your cell phone and tablet, or to simply play from the usb. It is small enough to just leave attached to the usb and play back directly from the usb so you don't have to use any space on your phone or tablet.
You also have the option to download a file manager app on the play store. The app is slightly useful but not required although if you want to open files documents more easily it might help. In terms of music pictures and video, it automatically shows up on your phone. The file manager makes it easy to search your phone, micro sd and usb media. I read on the play store that some people without experia phones were experiencing problems. Since I have a sony experia I have had not issues but cannot speak for other phones. But like I said, the app is not necessary.
There are only two gripes on my end and not enough to reduce the five star rating, just a suggestion....
the cap used to protect the micro usb portion twits and opens but it is tethered with a plastic hinge you have to flip over. This is so you don't lose the cap but the plastic on the hinge is a little hard and makes attaching the micro usb a little difficult as the cap is pushing the drive slightly due to the usb's compactness. Perhaps making the hinge longer so the cap does not push on the phone so much would help.
The other minor complaint is that it is not 3.0 and does not come in larger sizes. A 64 or 128 gb size would be great.
Other than that, this little flashdrive is versatile and portable. It a life saver if you want to save memory on your phone or tablet and if you simply want to view video, music or files on the go without having to transfer data to your phone and tablet.
I cannot get this to work with my android phone (Huawei Mercury through Cricket) however this works fantastically with my android tablets and my pc/mac. It is not able to be used as a data cable but is able to be used to put a file on it using your pc then put it into your tablet's micro usb slot and transfer the files onto it.
This is a great, versatile, itty bitty flash drive. The black cap is just a solid plastic piece to cover and protect the micro-usb head. I will probably end up purchasing another unit.
Most recent customer reviews
Dr. Linda Carson