Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports toystl17_gno

Showing 21-30 of 91 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 123 reviews
on January 19, 2016
Small and Great product with great picture quality.
on July 7, 2015
I just got this and was so excited, tried to take a picture but everytime I do a "camera error" comes up and says to turn it off and then back on. Does anyone know if that means it's defective or a common error ?
on January 20, 2013
We use this camera as an addition to a Canon 5D mark 2, however this is really our go to camera because it is so easy to use!
It takes great pictures and video. We also love that we can upload pictures straight to facebook from the camera.

It takes a little time to get it figured out, but for the quality of pictures it takes.. totally worth it! And if you just want to use it for a very basic camera you can do that quite easily.

This camera has a lot of great features that you can take advantage of if you choose to.
on April 19, 2014
This camera was a good purchase. It takes great pictures. However, after a few months, the on/off switch became very stiff i.e. difficult to click to the left and right. We called Amazon and were asked to send the camera to Sony for repair. Since we are still within 1 year of purchasing the camera, we don't anticipate any issues with this repair process for us. If we do have issues, we will come back and update this review.
on November 26, 2013
Menu difficult and confusing. Feels like a plastic toy. I sold mine on ebay about 6 weeks later and bought the eos m with a 22 prime lens for about 80 bucks less with the lens. If you tripod a camera beware, look at the tripod hole. It has no area to snuggle up to your tripod mount
on January 10, 2013
My wife has gone through numerous Modern cameras and just always been disappointed. This ones a little expensive for just taking family and vacation pics which is all she does with a camera. But she LOVES it. She's all thumbs when it comes to technical stuff and although shell probably never use half the features she finds it very easy and friendly to use. The quality of the photos is beyond description and the camera just seems to "know" what to do. The tilting screen also makes it so much easier.
on August 1, 2015
This camera has been doing great! I love the compactness of it. Easy to carry around and the picture quality is great!
on March 21, 2013
After enjoying the NEX 3 with the 18-55 kit lens for 2 years I finally found a good reason to upgrade myself to the NEX 5R accompanying the newer 16-50mm powerzoom lens (SEL1650pz) which i have a separate review on the lens in amazon.com (and a separate review on NEX 3 in 2011)

Having been using the camera for 3 months I think it is a good time for me to give it a review. My review will be base on comparing my experience with the NEX 3 (which was a very decent ILC by itself)

Pro:

1) Compactness: with the 16-50mm lens and the 5R body it is MUCH smaller and lighter than my NEX 3 with 18-55mm lens.
2) PHASE+Contrast detection focus: Much faster focus than my NEX 3, one major reason i want to upgrade
3) Additional Fn/Dial for control/settings: Less digging into the menu to find settings!
4) 180 Flip TOUCH Screen: NEX 3 has a 100 degree flip screen which is decent but 180 is just better :)
5) Full HD recording (my NEX3 only takes 720p)

Con:

1) WiFi: The "Play Memories" user experience is still fairly immature, connecting speed and user interface is tedious comparing all the new mobile touch screen technologies out there. The android remote control is limited to just snapshot and review.
2) External Flash: If they can put the flash inside the 3N body, they could have done it on the 5R, small issue since i have not used flash on my camera for over 2 years.
3) Power switch can easily be triggered since it sticks out from the front(the 3N configuration seems better) It was a problem with my power zoom lens since the lens wants to stick out if the on/off switch gets triggered inside my jacket pocket.
4) MOVIE switch is hard to reach if the screen is flipped up even slightly
5) MP4 is only 1440x1080 (1920x1080 for AVCHD only), not sure why, it looks fine enough though
5) No more 3D pictures!? (used to be in my NEX 3, not that i ever really needs it, just saying)

Wish:

1) Can capture picture while doing video (they have that in lower end cameras!) - can be done with firmware update?
2) Improve WiFi / Playmemories user experience and have more controls via mobile app like video capture, setting changes, etc) - sony has a long way to go but can be done with firmware update
3) Faster start up time
4) Brighter screen

Overall I am happy with this upgrade. Really looking forward to see if Sony will bring new firmwares to improve some of the user experience shortfall that I mentioned above.
review image review image review image
on February 6, 2015
Very Good! I like it.
on May 26, 2013
This review is for the video performance only and manual focusing exclusively. I use Canon 550D/600D/650D. I was attracted to the NEX for its reputed low light performance and high dynamic range. After testing against the 3 Canon cameras with the same lenses (I used an adapter for the NEX) I found that though the NEX may be slightly better in low light at the pixel peeping level, on a day-to-day practical level, I could not see a difference in the quality of the video between the cameras. Since I am already geared up for Canon, and the fact that I can run Magic Lantern on the Canons, I decided to return the NEX.

If I were starting from scratch, I would find the small size of the NEX attractive. For example, I use fully manual lenses and liked being able to see the aperture and focus settings while behind the camera without having to look over the flash housing of the Canon’s. This may seem a small issue, but in the heat of a busy shoot, it’s nice to have the visibility. As other reviewers have pointed out, the controls of the NEX are not DSLR-like, and not necessarily intuitive, but this would not be a reason to stay away from an otherwise good camera.

I gave 4 stars to the NEX. I would also give the Canon cameras 4 stars, and the combination of Canon & Magic Lantern together 5 stars plus.

For those who are not familiar with the funny sounding name “Magic Lantern”, it is software that runs in conjunction with the Canon firmware, and allows a much greater degree of control over the camera settings.