Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by Nothing More PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 76 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 79 reviews
on April 19, 2013
I'm writing this review because if you are anything like me, you're wondering if this book is worth buying. Well, I can say absolutely YES. I know something about writing because it's my trade, so I can say that I like this author's style very much and the design of the book is very attractive and easy to follow. I considered buying the Kindle/Nook version but I'm very glad I did not. The book is too big for that format (so it was downsized to fit) and it is so nicely illustrated that it would be a shame, I think, not to get the printed book.

So is this worth the $14 or so versus just using the small printed manual or even the very long user guide that is available as a PDF file? My answer is YES! Neither of those resources is as easy to follow and understand as this book is. You might also wonder if this book is useful for NEX-6 owners in particular or whether it is just a rehash of a generic photography guide that could apply to any photography guide book. My answer to that question is two-fold: yes, it is directly squarely at the NEX-6 owner (so that all the features described are exactly those on this model camera) and yet it also has tons of general photography tips and explanations of terminology and technique. Also, it is illustrated with many great shhots taken by the author of his childhood home in Texas (and others from his travels). Each of these photos shows the lens, ISO, shutter, and f-stop settings used. I found this one feature to be very educational and helpful. This one little book has helped me to appreciate--and use--the NEX-6's many capabilities because each chapter in the book ends with a list of "assignments" (i.e., practice) suggestions for using/mastering the features and techniques discussed in each chapter.

In summary, I think this book is the perfect blend of general information and very specific details about the Sony NEX-6. I have owned my NEX-6 for about 6 months now and I've read both the small paper manual and the PDF guide. Both were useful in their own way as references to buttons, icons, and settings. But, both are also very poorly written, designed and illustrated. All in all, this "From Snapshots to Great Shots" book is an example of very solid instructional design combined with a smooth and accessible writing style and lots of very useful and specific content about this particular camera model. I'm very happy with my purchase. I recommend that any new NEX-6 owner buy one, but do get it in print! As I said, the e-book version is a downsized version with far less visual appeal. A book about photography should have visual appeal....don't you think? <grin>
on December 18, 2013
Foster's book presents an outstanding set of beginning photography lessons, as well as some guidance on the operation of the NEX-6. However, I was disappointed that it didn't provide enough in-depth information on the NEX-6's complex set of controls and features (thus my one-star subtraction). Despite this shortcoming, it was a helpful read --worth its cost.

Some impressions:

PROS:
*Useful guidance re configuring a new NEX-6.
*Good directions for updating NEX-6's firmware (not provided by other books.)
*Well-illustrated with large, lovely photos.
*Useful tips (e.g. improvised "bouncing" of NEX6's built-in flash.)

CONS:
*Too much general material re how to take good pictures (i.e. but not about the NEX-6 per se.)
*Skimpy coverage of NEX-6's built-in HDR and panorama features.
*States that NEX-6's wireless features (e.g. smart remote) "not in the scope of this book".
*Too often refers "out" to Sony's manual for important info (e.g. see pages 32, 64, 72, 244.)

Concurrent with purchasing a NEX-6, I obtained three "how-to" references: Matsumoto and Roullard's "The Sony Alpha NEX-6"; Foster's "The Sony NEX-6 From Snapshots To Great Shots"; and Sony's "Interchangeable Lens Digital Camera Instruction Manual/Handbook". Matsumoto and Roullard's book is the most useful of the three, and will serve as my primary NEX-6 reference manual. While Foster's visually stunning book provided me with a productive photo-workout, along with some useful tips, it didn't cover enough ground to function as a reliable NEX-6 reference. Sony's sometimes-helpful Manual/Handbook often lacked needed details.
on May 31, 2014
I find this book tremendously helpful as I navigate my way through learning the nuances of my Nex6 Camera. The style is direct and the extensive Index at the back of the book is extremely helpful in locating specific information as you need it. Concluding most chapters with assignments, is really helpful and I find that it challenges me to try something that I might not have done or thought of. I have used this book for about 6 weeks and keep it close at hand whenever I take my camera out.
I also have the Matsumoto book, which I also like, but I find this book more helpful in the artistic composition of the photograph. I enjoy that many of the photos have the shooting data attached so that you can get an understanding of the effects of the different settings and maybe apply them to your own shots.
I am extremely happy that I own this book!
on August 7, 2013
Jerod has a wonderful way of painlessly teaching us how to use the Nex 6 camera, giving us hints along the way that he is going to take us from the amateur/auto modes into the professional more manual modalities of the camera for greater creative control. He provides assignments that offer some structure of practice for evolving in that direction, and lots of detailed photographs to demonstrate what is possible. For the beginner to intermediate photographer, maybe anyone new to the Nex series, this book is an easy read that covers the real fundamentals of taking great pictures in one fell swoop! There are other manuals out there that are written by more technically oriented authors - excellent resources. It was a pleasant surprise to find one written by an artist for artists.
on September 5, 2013
I really like this book. As soon as I got it, it showed me several things about my new NEX-6 that I wanted to do but had not found in the printed form of the manual. I have downloaded the bigger manual from the CD but though I have tried to use both versions, it is slow going. This book puts you right where you want to be to give you access to what you need to know to use the features of the camera. I also agree that it is better to buy the printed book rather than the Kindle version. The Kindle version may be good for taking it along when you are shooting, but the print version is filled with color illustrations and charts and lots of photos that just won't work well on a Kindle. Thanks, Jerod, you did us NEX-6 users a real favor.
on January 31, 2014
Having received the Sony Nex 6 double lens camera as a gift last September,I had been searching for a well written,easy to follow book that would teach me how to use this amazing camera. I wanted to get more out of my camera and go from just snapshots to great shots! This book is perfect as it is easy to follow and has been written so that after every chapter you have 'homework' and you put into practice what you have read in the chapter. I have not found another book on the market for this particular camera. Would recommend it to beginners and advanced photographers. Well done an excellent book I love it! Kim Longhurst February 1st 2014
on September 13, 2014
Many good hints for using the Nex 6 .. and he explains several features way better than the instruction manual does. He is quite good at telling you WHY you do something where the manual just tells you HOW to do it.

I bought the kindle edition so the included photos are not real valuable but in general I found the descriptions in the text to be rich enough to make up for this. After a couple of months of use I still find myself going back to this book for some refreshers.
on December 8, 2013
Great book to accompany the Sony NEX-6. The camera menu system and operating modes can be quite daunting and confusing for a newbie advanced camera user, moving from pocket point and shoot cameras. Author has an easy to read style and there are lots of sample photos.

Also, I think the book would be useful both for new photographers as well as old 35mm film photographers getting back into photography in the digital realm. He mixes camera-specific information with review of general photography principals.

Highly recommended.
on July 27, 2014
I am in the same camp with the 3 star reviewers. I wont buy any book from this series again. There are plenty of "how to" books out there on photography - most of them more detailed and well written. I am sure there are a lot of first time buyers out there purchasing the NEX-6. But for those of us who already know our way around the fundamentals, it would be nice to have a book about the camera and have it advertised as such
on July 9, 2013
I have used other books from this series, and was impressed. I bought this when I ordered the NEX-6 to show me the way to get the most from the camera. As expected, the first three chapters were great, and on point. Beginning with Chapter 4, the book became very much a digital photography how-to book, and barely mentioned this camera. I am disappointed in the demise of this fine series.