Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Echo $129.99 All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis B06ZY5XM7W Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 37 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 69 reviews
on February 2, 2015
I love this e-reader.

After my 2nd gen Kindle finally died I wanted to replace it with something that still had e-ink but handled PDFs better.

I am a post-graduate student and love that I can take notes on my articles and textbooks using the stylus.

The only downside is that since the Sony e-reader book store no longer exists, you cannot buy books directly on the reader and the default software it comes with isn't what you need. You need to use the Kobo bookstore or get ePUB books and PDFs from other sources and then transfer them to the reader with a cable. It was annoying at first since I was so used to instant purchases from anywhere on my Kindle but once you get used to it, it is easy. I would take off half a star for this if I could (so 4.5 stars is my true rating).
on February 9, 2013
I got this about two years ago, and it saved my butt in class. I had a kindle 1, then got a Kindle DX, which has a huge screen and does the text-to-speech thing (which is great for Kindle books). However, the DX is truly hard to carry around.

The Sony Daily edition is the perfect size to read PDFs (tell you why in a moment) and has two cool apps.

I read a lot of PDFs, and the kindle never formats these right. So they tend to be hard to read. The DX, in landscape mode, give me a good size font to read PDFs that have wide margins. But the Sony has two neat tricks to help read PDFs with wide margins.

See, the wide margins make the PDF text smaller, because the kindle tries to show the whole page. But the Sony has this Margin Crop setting that cuts the margin way down, making the text more readable. Also, the Sony can shift to landscape orientation. And that is the beauty of the DAILY edition. With the full 7" screen (longer than the kindle standard) the landscape view is almost as wide as the Kindle DX. So the PDF fonts are readable.

I also love the touch screen page swipe.

The size is perfect, and it has two memory slots. So you'll never run out of room.

Lastly, the note taking apps are cool. The text note taking app is just OK, but the drawing app lets you take page after page of notes. Because the Sony is a little slow keeping up with my note taking, the app is not perfect. But it worked well.

The things I don't like are, I never buy books from Sony, so the wireless is useless. Also, the reader tends to use the book internal titling instead of the file name. That can make it hard to find books because the internal name may be different than the file name.

Otherwise, I really like this. Hopefully future versions will be faster (in the drawing/notetaking app).
on March 28, 2011
I bought this to replace the Sony PRS-505 I bought after it broke due to being crushed in my bag. The screen of the Reader Daily is nice and easy to read with a large screen and 5 preset zoom ranges. The touch works well but the default setting for the page turn gesture is backward from how I turn pages, once I changed the settings it became very easy to use one handed using my thumb to turn the pages. The reader remembers your page for multiple books. The built in dictionary is very handy for those times I come across a word I don't know as you just need to tap it twice to have the definition show in a box at the bottom of the read screen. The built in apps are nice for quick notes and sketching. The cover that comes on the reader once removed did not go back on as tight but still stays on well enough to use to hold the reader with. The included case is very effective in protecting the reader, the first week I had it I dropped it in the case from about 2.5 feet and the reader was not harmed. The power input is nice as I have other Sony hand held devices and they take the same adapter.
on February 15, 2011
There is no reason not to buy this if you like to read. It is especially useful if you travel and want to take your books with you. I looked at all of them and I am glad I bought this one. If you are reading a lot of reviews you may be paralyzed by the deluge of thought people review this with. I finally just bought it and I am glad I did. The winers all had points and I can see wee specks of truth to some of what they said, I have not come to any of those issues though which make me think I am not happy with this tool. The thing is simply great!
It is a minute or so to get used to it and the site where you download books is set up pretty functional. It gets the job done. Warning, you may be tempted to just buy a ton of books right away. I had to curtail myself there a little. I mean, I never go to the store and buy 20 books... I did that a couple of times with this thing. The books will be there tomorrow.
Also, I was a little bent about them loading excerpts of various books in the brand new one. I don't care for the sense of being funneled, so when I did buy a few books I just dumped all those preloaded "excerpts". Seems they could put a couple of whole books in the thing to get people started. The excerpts is a chincy sort of broken thing for them to do.
It is great and if you love to read this will do the job.
on August 22, 2010
I bought the Sony PRS-900 Daily Edition, after a month long research into what's available in the market. While there are some really great products out there I had a specific set of requirements that I used, to evaluate all the readers I considered.

My primary requirements in the order of importance were,

*) Support for PDFs (both single and two column PDFs as I read a lot of research papers especially in the two column format)
*) Portability - I wanted something that I could carry along easily in my backpack and read easily on the train on a flight and easily carry it anyway I need.
*) Annotation Feature - When I read especially research papers and technical documents I may want to make notes and I need to do it easily without spending an awful lot of time.
*) Price - My budget was limited but was willing to stretch it a wee-bit for a good product
*) Battery life - Most readers have descent battery life but this becomes important specially if you read PDFs as you may zoom into portions of an actual page on a document, reading one physical page on the e-reader with 5+ virtual page turns as a result of the cropped vision by the zoom.
*) Build quality - I wanted to be able to carry it without worrying too much in my backpack together with thick books and a laptop.

Although these are the requirements that I started off with, I built up a secondary set of requirements as I researched. They are in no particular order,

*) Ebook formats supported - I read fiction and non-fiction in my spare time a lot. Therefore I wanted the reader to support many widely used formats
*) Dictionary - I'd like to have a dictionary to lookup a word when needed and having one in the ereader also means that I'm carrying an electronic dictionary wherever I take the reader with me.
*) Shades of Grey - The more shades of grey the better a book looks (although some many not agree with me on this. Even simple text looks slightly better on a device with 16 levels of grey compared to 8 levels of grey). Some diagrams and photos on technical documents are rendered with more clarity with higher shades of grey.
*) USB charging - Being able to charge the reader up through a standard USB cable is a bonus especially when I travel as I don't need to take a power adapter with me.

With all these conditions I evaluated the Kindle's, Nook, iRex, Kobo, Sony's and every other possible reader available. Since I wanted a reader with annotation features, I filtered the list down to the ones having the feature either through a touchscreen or through a keyboard. However, I still kept the Kobo reader in my list as it was the easiest and the cheapest to buy in Australia (where I live). If you want to read a lot of PDFs, the 6" screens will definitely give you a hard time. Some readers like the Kobo reader does not allow you to increase the font sizes on a PDF, instead you could only use the zoom feature. Even on landscape mode, the 6" screens lack readability with PDFs. Therefore, I was tempted to buy a reader with a larger screen.

Having large screens make the devices physically large and if the device is the size of a A4 paper, it feels more like a magazine and to me, a reader of that size was lacking a bit of portability compared to a 6". However, the Sony PRS-900 is a 7.1" screen which was exactly the right size for my need. It's width is the same as the PRS-600 which is comparable to a paperback. It achieves the 7.1" screen with its longer length. PDFs look really great especially in the landscape mode and it gives me great readability even with a dual column PDF at the default text size. Moreover, the special features that makes the PRS-900 stands out as a great performer with PDFs is the ability to change text sizes on any PDF document and the built-in margin crop feature which increases the text sizes tremendously. I could easily read a single page of a dual column PDF on the landscape mode with 2 page turns. PRS-900 also has a 2-page view in landscape mode that allows you to quickly skim through a document or a book. All-in-all the PRS-900 is a great performer with PDFs.

With the annotation feature, I wanted to make simple notes either handwritten or typed on a document or a book. The important thing for me was the efficiency at which I could do this. Here I refer to the efficiency as the amount of time I spend in making a note rather than writing or typing speed. I'm sure the Kindles and the other devices with physical keyboards are easier to use. However, I hate the design of having a keyboard on such a small device. I liked Sony's design of making the most of the real-estate available for it's screen and achieving a small form-factor with the largest possible screen. I'm happy with the on screen keyboard where I could type something and even though it maybe slower than using a physical keyboard, it still does the job. I don't see myself using an ereader to type a letter or something long. I'm more than happy with using even a single finger on both hands to type on an on screen keyboard. On the PRS-900, the on screen keyboard works decently. I managed to type faster on it than the screen responses and still get all the letters in without any problems, even with the lag. I really like the annotation feature on the Sony models where I could use either the stylus or even my fingers to highlight or write something on screen on any page of a book or document. The only thing I can advise to anyone interested in this feature is that give a thought to both the types they come in, in ereaders. The Sony uses touch screens where its sensitive to any touch. There's also several devices based on Wacom tablets (BeBook Neo, iRex iLiad etc.), where the screen is only sensitive to a specialized stylus. I preferred the Sony's because I liked the fact that I could do page turns just swiping my finger on the screen from one side to the other. But I only realised one disadvantage of Sony's touch screen only after I received the product. When you do any annotation, if you're using the stylus (or your finger) you have to ensure other parts of your hand doesn't touch the screen. If you do the writing might be messed up due to that. I believe it's not the case with the Wacom based devices.

The battery life on the Sony PRS-900 is really great. It lasts for 12,000 page turns as per the specifications and that's a plenty compared to 7,000 - 10,000 page turns of the others. Equally important, I consider the user-replaceable battery a great feature, as on a bad battery I wouldn't have to send the device for repairs and spend a lot of money for the labour even if it's out of warranty.

The reader is built like a tank. With the quality of it's construction, I have no problem having it in a bag with other things like heavy books. It's screen does have a bit of glare compared to a reader without a touch screen. However, it is not as bad as it's reported. Personally, I've had no problems with it. Whenever there is a glare, you can easily tilt the reader a little to move it away from the screen. For most users, who simply would like to purchase and read books off an e-store might be a priority. In my case it wasn't. That was one reason I went for the PRS-900, even though the 3G coverage does not work in Australia. The PRS900BCKIT comes with some additional goodies such as a hard case that protects the reader well and a wall charger that charges it in 2.5 hours. All these makes it really worth for the price you pay for it!
on February 11, 2017
I was looking for something that was JUST an ereader with no bells and whistles, to help me be more productive. Very wonderful ereader for its age, easy to put pdfs onto even if they arent from their shop. Text looks great. No backlight isn't a downside, it makes it feel more like you are reading a book. Only downside is it's a little slow, but you do get used to it.
on September 21, 2010
I got my Sony Daily Edition Reader for travel and have enjoyed the wireless capacity to get books using my hotel wireless in the evenings. However, I recently discovered that the screen is very delicate and can be damaged easily: not a great feature for a traveler. After returning from a trip, about a quarter of my screen is blank and there are thin vertical and horizontal lines running along the edge of the blank space. The device is past its 90-day Sony warranty, so no help there. I'm purchasing a replacement because I liked it so much.

I also use an iPod touch, and got used to the silky smooth responsiveness of Apple's touch interface. The Sony is slow, clunky, and unresponsive in comparison, especially when trying to highlight words to use the dictionary function, but I still appreciate the option of turning pages with a swipe of a thumb instead of pushing the button.

All together, I like this thing enough to buy another one, but I will definitely keep it in the hard shell case instead of the stylish leather one from now on.
on February 21, 2011
After borrwing a Sony Daily Edition for a vacation and loving it I had to have my own. As I understand it, thsi is the only eInk model with a double laminate screen so they could provide a touch screen experience as well as the low battery consumption of eInk.

For me, being able to double tap a word and get a definition is great. It is also nice to be able to write notes in the margins and to underline passages. There underlined passages then can be accessed via a notes page which seres as an index. You can also download and save notes.

I also like the size although for some people the middle size might be fine -- if they never plan to read it sideways.

Oh -- and did I say you can also downloard free Library books.

RN
on September 12, 2010
This Sony eReader is a highly functional eBook reader. Given all of the features of this device, I think that this reader should be a much stronger contender in the eReader space than it currently is (overshadowed by the Kindle, Nook, and strangely enough, the iPad).

First off, the touchscreen feature has come in handy on more than one occasion, especially in situations where I've been trapped standing in a cramped subway car going to or from work, with limited space to even move my arms. The fact that I can swipe the screen rather than press the button means that any part of the screen can effectively be used to navigate the pages, not just the buttons. Secondly, the large, 7'' screen makes it more likely that I can view an illustration in an eBook in its entirety, without cutting it into two parts, or not being able to view the illustration at all. Thirdly, when you rotate the screen to landscape view, the screen becomes wider than some physical books, so that the letter sizes are the same size or larger than the original print version; this makes for very easy reading. Fourthly, The reader does a fairly good job of rendering pdfs (some readers don't even read pdfs without first converting them), as long as the pdf is formatted well (even when it isn't, the reader can usually be adjusted to accommodate the poor formatting). Fifthly, The reader supports the standard ePub formats, which many of the out-of-copyright free eBooks are converted to. Sixthly, the ability to save books to SD cards, onboard memory, or via USB connection just gives one more control over one's ever-expanding library. Seventhly, the fact that I can merely tap the screen within text to look up a word on the onboard dictionary is simply excellent.

There are only 3 key drawbacks that I can think of that a potential buyer should be aware of before pulling the trigger on a purchase of this particular model (I'm sure there are more, but none are show-stoppers, in my opinion).

Glare-prone screen: If this is not your first eReader, but is your first touchscreen eReader, you will no doubt notice the glare. It annoyed me the first few weeks I had this device, after updating from a Sony 505. But as other reviewers have said, 1) in most cases a slight tilt of the screen will remove the glare (over time, the tilting was so automatic for me, I don't realize I do it anymore), and 2) buying an anti-glare screen protector reduces the glare noticeably. Between the two, the glare is almost a non-issue.

Wi-Fi that only goes to Sony store: There's really no good reason why this reader should only be able to go the Sony eReader website, but currently, that's all it can do. Competitor eReaders have had open Wi-Fi even before this reader came on the market. So far, no update on the Sony website to address the limitation.

Amateurish Desktop Reader Library Software: Long story short, I have not used this software since I got the reader over half a year ago, and I have no plan whatsoever to use it. Not sure why it would be considered useful.

Bottom Line: this eReader was a good purchase and in fact should be part of any serious reader's short list of eReaders to consider buying.
on October 27, 2010
Its a wonderful product in lots of ways. A mechanical Engineer I m someone who uses a lot of catalogs, handbooks (and novels lol) on the go. I used to spend a fortune in printing pdfs cos I consider print material more readable than lit screens. Well, then carrying them around was a menace in itself. But now the sony reader is wonderful with its e-ink technology. its soothing to the eye jus as printed paper countless books packed into one small device thanks to the multi Mem-Card Slots. Also good for taking handwritten notes with the styles. its all i wud take to seminars,tutorials and some meetings as well. Good stuff. the a only bit trade off is a dull white background, it shud have been more white. I guess the new reader is promising.