Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Month Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums STEM Limited time offer Handmade Last Minute Gifts Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon JCVJ JCVJ JCVJ  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite Assassin's Creed Origins Shop Now HTL17_gno

on December 13, 2010
Received my reader a few days ago and have immediately started reading 100 pages + a night.. .more than I have ever read in years.

After researching the competition I feel I made the best choice especially at the $150 price point.

Pros:
This unit is tiny! You are losing 1 inch vs the kindle but it honestly did not impact my decision. I love the size especially how you don't have a bulky keyboard at the bottom increasing the size of the unit (kindle) or a pointless LCD screen on the Nook.

Touch screen! - Sony is the only company offering this and it feels so natural to just skim your finger over a page to turn it. Its even better when a simple double tap on a word will bring up the definition. I am sure its standard to have dictionaries but I don't think any other company could make it as easy as simple pressing the screen.

Simple interface- Turn this on and instantly and easily navigate your way around. I only referenced the manual once.

Epub format - Why buy a reader that does not support the universal eBook format (?kindle?) to me it makes no sense to make the jump into a reader and become instantly bound by DRM. This allows you to virtually check out books via library access and enjoy books without the hassle of DRM.

Cons: No wifi or 3/g on this model. In my opinion you do not need any of these on a reader. We all have computers at home where we can easily load up books in seconds. We probably have phones that can access the internet if needed. So for me this is not a Con (but most may feel cheated if not available).

No headphone jack: This particular model does not have a headphone jack. Its not a huge loss, but sometimes I would not mind listening to music while reading.

As for now that is really the only Cons I have, if any issues arise I will gladly update my review.

I would STRONGLY recommend this reader, it has to be one of the best purchases in a long time.
on December 15, 2010
What can I say...this is pretty close to perfect. I owned the PRS-300 for a year and loved it, but the moment I saw this one on display in a store I just had to have it.

Pros:
- The size is super-compact, which makes for awesome portability
- Ease of use (Sony has the intuitive thing down like Apple)
- Sleekest eReader on the market
- One of the longer eReader battery lifes out there
- Supports many formats (PDF, ePub, BBeB, RTF, and TXT)
- Can download & borrow books from public libraries

Cons:
- I guess no wifi, but honestly this is what makes the battery life outstanding as well and I mean...how often are you in that much of a rush to download a book.
- No audio capabilities, but again...I think most people can read without music
- Doesn't come with any kind of case (the Sony PRS-300 did at least)
- No input for a regular ac adapter so all charging must be done via computer

Before choosing the PRS-350, I had narrowed down to the Nook and the new Nook Color (I never even considered the Kindle due to its format limitations). I chose this over both Nooks due to the philosophy that less is more. Sure I could surf the internet and download books on site, but the cost was decreased battery life and simply not worth it to me. This is the simplest, most perfect eReader out there for me.
on January 19, 2011
I purchased the Sony Pocket Reader PRS-305 shortly after purchasing a Kindle 3. The Kindle 3 is an amazing device. But I really like the Sony better. This is the first Sony product I've purchased in many years; I grew to despise the company and their constant attempts to force customers into dead-end proprietary technologies (like their memory stick, like we need another memory chip format).

Amazon's Kindle has taken up that flag, now insisting on proprietary formats and incompatible with ePub books. The Sony is open to a wide variety of formats, and allows you to check books out from your local library (excellent!). It also makes installing free books from Google easy directly from the Sony Library software (Kindle does a great job of hiding free books).

This reader is really excellent. Yes, the library software interface could be slicked up a little. And no it does not have the bells and whistles of other readers: no SD slot, no WiFi, no MP3 player. But, unlike the Kindle 3, it REALLY IS pocketable. It's slick and compact and totally can replace the paperback book. And, at least for me, SD, wifi and MP3 are maybe nice perks but don't really add much. I can add hundreds of books via USB and never think about it again. There's little need to be constantly connecting to the web. And MP3 players, everything from my blackberry to my Sansa Clip to my 4 ipods play MP3; I really don't need another MP3 player.

The screen contrast is great so far as I can tell, and I actually really like the touch screen interface. You can turn pages with a swipe if you like, and make hand-written annotations with the included pen or a fingernail (like the old Palm Pilot). This is a much better way to navigate than the constant clicking on the Kindle to get from one spot to the next ... I expect this is the direction all eReaders will eventually go because it is just that much better. I have not done formal tests yet, but informally the PDF handling and re-flowing capabilities of the Sony seem superior to the Kindle 3 (even with the smaller screen).

I was concerned the 5" screen would be too small. I don't notice the difference between this and the Kindle 3; at the Small or Medium font-size, it strikes the perfect balance between information display and readability. And the device is incredibly light, it feels like balsa wood, extremely convenient to hold and read and jam in your pocket just like a paperback book. Though the Kindle is small, it just isn't pocketable. If you're a guy this is a major problem.

I'd like to see Sony ad the bells and whistles, why not? And I'd like to see them make the screen a little bigger by using the area that is not occupied by the icon strip at the bottom; these icons could be printed on the bottom edge of the silver bezel instead. Overall these would be minor improvements to a device that has exceeded my expectations and fills exactly the role I had hoped an eReader would fill. No with the price drop to $149, a clear competitor to Kindle; very pleased.
on April 8, 2016
I like that this unit is smaller and can fit in my coat pocket. It does what it says, but the fonts are what they had at the time, which are a bit jaggy. The options for font sizes are also limited to 4 sizes. The sizes are not standard points, they are just "small", "medium", "large", "x-large". If you want a smaller reader with e-ink technology, and don't mind a little jagginess in your fonts, this is the unit for you.

There's no wifi or email to transfer books to the unit, you just hook it to your USB port and the unit appears as another drive in Windows. You then drag your ebooks to this unit.
on June 2, 2014
I've been using this e-reader for four years and I love it. It is a small size, yet not too small for me. It works with Epub, PDF files but not Kindle files. For PDF files that don't allow text reshuffling (or something) it won't change the size of the text and you will have to zoom in and move around every page to read it (a little bit of a hassle). For any ebooks bought from Google book store the resizing works fine as well with any other Epub books that you can rent from the library.

Some of the newer e-readers use a backlit screen, but I much prefer this non-backlit type of screen because I can use a dim reading light before going to bed and the light won't disturb my ability to fall asleep that night. If I use an iPad to read before going to sleep I can tell that the light going directly into my eyes has disturbed my sleep pattern. You can read more about it by searching "artificial light and sleep" and can reduce the effect by getting the free app "f.lux" for Mac or PC.

I highly recommend this ereader as a nice travel reader or for using before bed.
on August 31, 2017
Great deal . It arrived in mint condition. I needed an e-reader which did not have Wi-fi and this out of production item was the perfect solution.
on November 10, 2011
I have a first generation Kindle, and while I love the machine, I regret that I could never get a good French dictionary to work on it. My desire is to read a French text and have an easy way to look up the words I do not know. There are French dictionaries for sale for the Kindle, but they do not work well (I reviewed one of them on this website). So when I read a comment (also on this website) that the Sony Reader had a number of dictionaries (English, French, German, Spanish, Dutch, Italian, Portuguese), I decided to try it.

The Reader is like the Kindle in some respects. It is not back-lit, so the screen looks like paper, which I like. The Reader is smaller than the Kindle. It can fit into your pocket. But even though the Reader is smaller, the screen is almost the same size. The Reader can be smaller because it does not have a keyboard. That means, however, that you have do many things using a touch screen. Sometime you need a stylus. I like the feel of the Kindle better. One loses sight of the fact that the Kindle is a machine. It feels like a book. The Reader feels more like an electronic device. But that is not a big problem.

The Reader's file conversion system is also inferior to the Kindle's. With the Kindle, you email them your file, they convert it and email the converted file back to you. With the Reader, you convert a file on your desktop. The software that does that failed to install either on my Windows Vista computer or on my iMac. The Sony telephone staff were superb--patient, polite, efficient, all you would want in customer service--but they had to resort to a strange fix to get the software to work (they had to create a separate user account with a separate profile especially for the Reader's software).

The Reader's conversion from .doc and .docx files was not as good as the Kindle's conversion. With the Kindle, I get tables of contents which work. You can click on a line in the table of contents and go to the correct page. Footnotes also work with the Kindle. You can click on a footnote number and see the footnote. Neither worked well on the Reader. You could see a table of contents, but clicking on a line in the table did not result in a jump to the right place. Footnotes also were not displayed when I converted from .doc or .docx files. When I converted from .pdf files I did get a table of contents which jumped to the right place in the text. And I did get the footnotes, at the bottom of the page. But it was awkward to read them. It is better to see them by clicking on them, like on the Kindle. And the converted .pdf file had superfluous and arbitrary capitalization which was not in the original text, and an ugly font.

Therefore, I much prefer the Kindle for reading ordinary English.

But for reading a foreign language, the Reader is superb. Whoever designed the dictionary software deserves to go to heaven. It makes learning a foreign language much easier, and is therefore worth the cost of owing two devices, one for English and, in my case, one for French.
on March 6, 2012
I'm using PRS350SC for about a year. General impression: very good hardware but user unfriendly. For instance, the Reader can not be charged from USB wall charger, only from working computer! It means that if I'm traveling without laptop (say, with tablet only) then I just can not charge the reader!

Other issues:
Sometimes turned page leaves "trace" of previous text. The new page is displayed but background looks grey with white letters from previous page. It is required to turn page back and forth to remove it.

Ergonomics is not good. Going to certain chapter requires many steps. Making note is just a pain. No "copy" and "paste", etc.

Although it supports .doc and .rtf, do not expect much from it. In most cases, the fonts are either tiny or large and can not be adjusted to desired size. HTML is also hard to read. These formats can be converted to lrf or epub but preserving table of contents and chapters is not always possible (and always a pain)

Pdfs are usually displayed well. Font size can be adjusted. However if font size is different from default then graphs and tables are not displayed. In order to see them the size needs to be changed to default (and then back for convenient reading)

Epub is displayed well. This format and Sony's lrf are the best.

Supplied library program is not really usable. It just copies files to device. Use Caliber instead.

I read in English, Hebrew and Russian. I succeeded to install Russian (unofficial edition) but not Hebrew. Knew that in advance however. No way to install additional dictionaries.

The screen is small so reading speed is reduced compared to larger devices. Of course, it is natural for pocket size.

Bottom line: nicely build and really cool but designed with little thinking about user needs
22 comments|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on February 2, 2012
I have had my reader for a while now and I gotta say I love it. The screen is big enough and easy to read, but it has a problem with diagrams and artwork. That seems to be common with readers at this point though so I was not too shocked or upset. The touch screen is responsive, but the processor is slow enough that things take a moment some times, noticeable but no big deal. The buttons are well placed, easy, and functional. The battery life is great, I generally need to charge it about every other week. This works out well because that is also about the time I need some new reading material downloaded. When it comes to that, you can either use the software provided (via the reader) or you can drag and drop on your own. I like both options because I get reading material from numerous sources and it is just easier to transfer it manually.
In the end I have to say it's small, weighs next to nothing, has good battery life, and is easy to use. Like I said... I always have it in my pocket.
on March 16, 2012
My reader worked fine until february 29 2012, since then, the internal calendar offsets the day of the week but not the number of the day of the moth(i.e. shows monday instead of tuesday, and so on, but shows the correct date) so it does not show the correct day of week again. Sony has not corrected the firmware to overcomethis BUG. its disturbing thinking that it is a diferent day of week.

It is a very delicate product, recently i cracked the screen of a PRS 350 Unit, with a little pressure inside my pocket( the reader was in a Sony protection cover), fortunately I had another prs350 that was Bricked by me while Updating the PRS+ firmware (I don't recommend doing this), so i changed the screens. I think that this technology is not mature yet, I advise you to look for a reader that has a flexible film screen not a glass one like the PRS 350.