Shop Auto Winter Products Salon Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch New album by us the duo STEM $24.99 for a limited time only Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Echo Dot Black Friday Deals Week: Fire tablets starting at $29.99. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite Just Dance 2018 Shop now HTL17_gno

• Customer reviews

on August 20, 2010
Yes, it's a corny title, I know; what's not corny is this sweet little boombox from Sony. It was little difficult to find a unit like this with all of the features I was in the market for, since boomboxes seem to be on the way out -- at least in their old configurations.

Pretty much gone are days of tape, but I guess that there are some folks out there who still like cassettes; these are the people who will be happy with the CFDS05's built-in tape deck - I will probably never use it. The other features, such as digital AM/FM tuner with numerous presets, CD-R/RW capable compact-disc player, and AUX-in jack for portable music players, are just what I was looking for!

+ The sound, while not audiophile quality, is pleasantly full and crisp; the longstanding Sony Mega Bass feature helps the lower end a little, but don't expect miracles. All in all, it's a very nice sound from a not-too-huge footprint.

+ The digital tuner works well, picking up the new somewhat-hard-to-lock-onto local public music radio station with no difficulties at all. The presets take a little practice -- I actually had to break down and look at the instructions.

+ The CD player seems to have no problems reading my CD-R discs (I always play copies, never original discs); my previous RCA stereo clock radio would conk out in the middle of a CD-R playback.

+ The aux-in feature also works very well with my MP3 player, though it's necessary to crank the volume up a bit in relation to the radio or CD player - don't forget to turn it back down before switching sources!

- About the only minus I can come up with, and it's a minor one, is a lack of some "snazzy" features; there's no remote, no "sleep" feature, and the CD doesn't play back mp3 discs. I'm sure Sony could have included some of these features, but likely not at this price point.

The CFDS05's construction is pretty solid, though perhaps not quite as heavy-duty as the three other Sony boomboxes we own (that are all 3-6 years old, and we haven't had a lick of trouble from any of them). I am hopeful this one will be just as reliable as its predecessors.

Overall, I would say that if you're in the market for what I think is becoming a scarce product offering, pick one of these up while you can! I am very pleased that I found yet another quality Sony boombox to meet my listening needs - I've tried many, many others, and I always end up coming back to Sony.
1717 comments| 644 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 1, 2012
Initially I ordered another CD Player that was somewhat smaller and lighter than the Sony. Unfortunately, that player was defective (not created during shipping) as it was unable to play the last track of any CD! Also, the other unit had volume issues. I returned that initial purchase and went with the Sony.....great choice too.

The Sony, while a bit larger and heavier, is still pretty compact. Best of all the sound quality (at least to my ear) is that of a much more expensive player! Really sounds top notch.

Finally, there is the various kind of media it can play from.

I have a vast collection of CDs, but my sons are always trying to interest me in using MP3 technology, and with my new Sony, I may just branch-out and explore these "new music frontiers".

Great buy!
0Comment| 96 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 1, 2012
I bought this for my mother. I have purchased probably 5 different minisystems in 15 years for my mother. It's not that she is abusive, or that conditions in her house are particularly harsh--it's that buying a SIMPLE radio-cd-cassette system in the past has either meant buying a super high-end boutique model or cheap junk. We have been through lots of cheap junk thus far. Nowadays, boutique systems (say $400+) do not include cassette. For folks like my mother, the options for getting radio-cd-cassette just thinned out considerably. Fortunately, Sony still builds a nice, simple, reliable product. There's nothing complicated about this thing. It just works. The sound is perfectly adequate for non-audiophiles. The tuner is good and spoken word comes out intelligibly (important for listeners of talk radio, NPR, etc.). Thank goodness there is one non-junk product in this class left. Otherwise, Mom is going to have to give up the occasional cassette.
on March 29, 2013
I bought this for my grandmother when her old cassette player finally quit working. The sound quality on this little unit is surprisingly good. She popped in one of her old cassettes, and I swear you'd think it was a CD playing. The bass isn't very powerful, but if you're just looking for a small radio/CD/cassette player for basic music, I'd definitely recommend this one.
on October 23, 2017
A few years ago, I'd gotten hurt and was, for all intents and purposes, bedridden, having messed up my back. My mother purchased this for me (at Walmart) so that I could listen to praise-and-worship CDs and Biblical teachings on healing while I recouped. Now I've received my healing, and it's my mother's turn. She suffered a stroke (and can't speak) and is in a nursing facility. As I can't visit her every day (the way I'd like) and she doesn't really have any visitors except the nursing staff, she is pretty much left alone until my days off when I can be with her. So, I wanted to get her this stereo because it has continuous play, which means I can put a CD in and let it run and run without stopping, which is what I'm doing. It's what I did when I was laid up, getting the Word of God inside my spirit-man, even as I slept. Now she has either praise-and-worship music flowing or she has a preacher's voice talking, so she doesn't have to feel alone.

Maybe people would consider this stereo antiquated, out of date, not high-tech enough, but I appreciate it for its continuous-play feature alone. It gives my mother the opportunity to hear God's Word preached to her from the preachers she loves or to indulge in music that will bolster her spirits and help her heal from the inside-out.

Proverbs 4:20-23 (AMP)—"My son, pay attention to my words and be willing to learn; open your ears to my sayings. Do not let them escape from your sight; keep them in the center of your heart. For they are life to those who find them, and healing and health to all their flesh. Watch over your heart with all diligence, for from it flow the springs of life."
This radio was a gift to a friend of mine. All of the modes (AM FM CD TAPE) work flawlessly. The FM was especially notable as it pulled in 2 stations that his other radios couldn't without static. Function buttons seem easy to use, and sound quality is really good. Smaller than I expected, which is a big plus. Build quality is above average.

Highly Recommended.
44 comments| 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 26, 2013
Okay I purchased this player earlier this year and had to return it because the tape deck stop working 2 days after arrival. Thankfully I was able to receive a full refund with no problem. I then purchased a Memorex; it wasn't as nice but it was doable and it WORKED! The sound quality on this player is nice and that is why I was upset when I had to return it. But needless to say, I decided to give it a 2nd chance and chose this refurb. I've only played it a couple of hours but so far so good. Both cassette and CDs sound crisp and clear and all my fave stations come through clear. If anything falls apart or stop working I will update this review accordingly.
on August 24, 2012
I purchased this for my Mom to use with Talking Books.
Unfortunately, when paused or stopped it goes back to the beginning of the track.
It is dificult to find the right place to restart from without writing down the number that
it was paused with - too much to ask an 89 yr old to do.
The other aspects of the unit are very nice so I'm trying to decide if I should return it.
on July 6, 2013
This unit has only very rudimentary CD controls - playback can be moved only in large jumps, and there is no display to show where the playback is currently reading the CD, e.g., how much is left.

I also find the sound too boomy, Boombox indeed. I believe this unit badly needs a bass and treble control If it did, I'd turn the bass down and the treble up. Treble/bass controls are present on may lower cost units than this one.

The only reason I purchased this unit is it is about all there is in this "old" technology.. it also has a cassette player, these are even harder to find.

One recent audio book I checked out of the library was on Cassettes. I was able to play it with this unit, no other needs so far.
on November 17, 2012
After I retired my last boombox (when the tape player went bad on it), I did an exhaustive search on Amazon for a suitable replacement and came across this one. Based on the (mainly) positive reviews, I decided to purchase it.

The pros: It has a really nice sound to it. The buttons seem to be easy to use and the cassette/CD decks easy to load and unload. It has the CD-to-tape synchro-function. It also has an "Audio In" plug where you can plug in an MP3 player - or even another tape player! It doesn't appear to be a "tape-eater" (at least not yet!).

The cons (albeit minor): The CD displays just the minutes and seconds while the CD is playing. If you want to know what track you're on, you have to remember to press the "Memory" button - and then it only flashes for a few seconds before going back to the minutes and seconds display. You also cannot press a button to see how many minutes are left on a particular track (or CD), which would have been very helpful when trying to record onto a cassette! Also, it does not come with a remote (the remote-like object in the image is actually an MP3 device - which does not come with the boombox!). It also does not have a "sleep" function.

Still, it is a good little boombox which is suitable for most uses, and one I would recommend.