Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 109 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 147 reviews
on December 28, 2016
A great lens to use in tight spaces. The edge of the pictures on wide angle lenses will not be as clear as the center but that is the nature of wide angle lenses, not a fault of this lens. I loved taking architecture pictures with this lens. Most of the buildings I took pictures of were large, tall, close together, and near traffic. It would have been hard to get a picture of the entire building without having this lens with me. I would have had to stand in the middle of traffic; I'm sure that wouldn't have gone over well. I will carry this lens every time I take my camera out; You never know when you will need it.
on April 30, 2013
Overall: This is a very compact lens that allows the NEX to reach 24mm (full frame equivalent field of view). The quality is good, focusing is fast, and the lens handles direct sun in the frame without many noticeable anomalies. Furthermore, the large aperture really helps for low light.

Pros:
+ Affordable
+ F2.8 for low light
+ Allows attachments like fisheye and wide angle converter
+ Fast focusing
+ Compact size
+ Uses same size filters as 18-55 kit lens

Cons:
- No visually pleasing sunstars (ie: like the Tokina 11-16)

I bought this lens because of it's compact size and ability to make the NEX F3 pocketable. Despite the fixed focal length, I think I used this lens significantly more during my vacation than the 18-55 kit lens. Consequently, at this low price, this lens is a good complement to the 18-55 kit lens. It's affordable, and really changes your shooting experience. Another plus is that it uses the same size filters.

Sony does not provide a hood or case with this lens package. However, the hood from the kit lens is compatible (but I'm not sure how much it affects vignetting). I didn't use it with the good.

In summary: The lens makes a great complement to the 18-55 kit. It is compact, offers a wide aperture, focuses quickly, and really enhances your NEX shooting experience. I recommend it.

I hope this review was helpful to you.
on November 13, 2013
I bought this one used from an Amazon seller and it's a very nice lens so far. I bought this one over the newer model available mainly due to price. If i could've found the newer 20mm f/2.8 second-hand for a great price i would have picked it up. I am not a professional photographer and none of my pics are going into National Geographic. The corners are a bit soft on this lens, but a lot of the typical complaints on this lens are made up by 1) Adobe Lightroom, and 2) the fact that you can slap on the ultra wide-angle conversion lens OR the fisheye lens. I have grabbed some AWESOME shots with the ultra wide-angle lens attached to this baby. I wouldn't have bought this lens just by itself - - if you are interested in ultra wide-angle or Fisheye, though, this is a must. If you can spring for the newer 20mm then do that instead. I give it 5 stars because for the money, it's a fantastic lens.
on March 16, 2013
With the conversion lens, this is a very useful unit for taking buildings from the outside and any interior shot. Must have for that. Need to be careful about keeping the verticals vertical by pointing up or down until the vertical lines become vertical. The lens and the conversion lens were made for each other; although for me I wish it were a single unit because I dropped it once and it came apart (but so far still works). Only 4 stars because it is not as sharp as say the Zeiss 1.8/24MM; not in the same class. Price is reasonable.
on September 25, 2016
The others reviews are pretty accurate on the softer sharpness around the edges of images, but given the price point, it's still quite good. I shoot at F18+ for interiors so the images are quite sharp. The wide angle is great at capturing a more comprehensive view in such a small package.
on March 29, 2017
Is not a sharp lens, but I knew this going in. I bought it because it is a cheap wide angle and I am using it for video so thats fine. My issue is the unit I received has bad glass: there are two spots which are constantly dark and blurred during filming and no amount of cleaning is fixing this. Will return this product if possible.
on February 15, 2013
Compact format of the pancake lens makes my NEX7 pocketable however, it seems i got the same batch as everyone else complains about. It is definitely a soft image from the lens, i went back to using the kit lens. It is more than just soft.. the image is confusing almost like a very nervous bokeh. Im still trying to figure out what this lens will be good for.
on April 11, 2016
This is my second purchase. Low f-stop and great. I have been shooting with this lens for over 2 years.
on April 2, 2017
Excellent resolution
on January 5, 2014
I use this lens for my Nex5r and some aerial video. Although the picture is pleasing with little fisheye compared with the Gopro, I find the finished result blurry. I just bought the newest Sony 10-20 zoom which while twice the price is twice as good.