Spring Deals Automotive Amazon First Reads Casual Friday Style nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. GNO for Samsung S9 Prime exclusive: $24.99 for a limited time Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18PP_gno

on October 10, 2011
This is technically one fine camera. I had an A100 previously and upgraded to this new body for a trip to Europe. It takes extremely fine photographs and does HD or normal video and has built in HDR and panoramic modes. The 16.2 MP chip has fabulous resoultion. The Dynamic Range Optomizer does a great job of getting shadow and highlight details in the cathredrals. I honestly have nothing bad I can say about this camera's technical ability. However the ergonomics are another matter.

This camera is smaller than the A100 and does not fit in the hand properly. There is only room for about two fingers in the grip and honestly, whoever decided to move the control wheel so it faces forward instead of on a 45 degree angle should be shot. It makes turning the control wheel extremely uncomfortable. You are always having to search for the wheel with your finger. The on-off switch, which is rarely used, is where the control wheel should be so they have placed the least used control in the most important position. Truly a bad mistake which I sincerely hope they correct in later models. This is far too good a camera to have this kind of ergonomic short comings.

I thought I would have trouble using the LCD viewfinder but I'm getting used to it. It does not have the resolution of the LCD screen on the back of the camera so it does take a little getting used to but after using the camera for a couple of weeks, I don't find it as distracting as I thought I would.

This is a great camera overall. I would have given it five stars if it weren't for the ergonomic problems. I don't know how they let that get out the door. Anyone using a camera on a regular basis would have screamed about this.

Enjoy a great technical camera.
on March 3, 2012
This is a great camera that has all the features an amateur photographer may need. The camera is quite compact and light, which in my opinion is a great feature. Contrary to other SLRs, this camera allows you to use autofocus while making movies. Other interesting features are the high quality large screen, the ability to take multiple shots in a row (3.7 shots/sec) and the high definition sensor with 16 MP (including the ability to make full high def movies). I bought this camera body and the 16-50 mm 2.8 lens from Sony and I couldn't be happier with the results.
on June 11, 2012
I am totally impressed with this camera. The pictures I have taken just in the auto mode are absolutely superior to what I was taking before. I have yet to learn all the manual functions this camera offers, but the few I have resulted in very clear and interesting shots. Great bang for the buck.
on October 26, 2012
Image quality is good and the control is not dificult. The lens was not expensive and has some options. Is not a perfect camera, but for the price was the best buy and increase a lot on my photos. It's a good camera.
on November 3, 2011
I bought the Sony Alpha 35 after much research and I am very happy with my purchase. Within a month of buying it I took it with me on my vacation to Italy. The camera functioned flawlessly. Since I was on vacation and doing a lot of sightseeing in crowded places, I put the camera on automatic and shot nearly a thousand photos. The camera took amazing photographs. I have now registered for a photography class to take full advantage of the camera's features. This is an amazing camera. Two of my colleagues at work have bought this camera based on my recommendation and their research. Buy a Sony Alpha camera and you will not be disappointed. And the leading Consumer ratings magazine gave top ranking to the Sony Alpha in its category.
on October 22, 2011
This review is not extensive but does cover what I consider the most important pros/cons I discovered during my time with the Sony a35. I did not test the video performance, so all comments below are about photos.

I really like SteadyShot, Sony's in camera image stabilization (IS). This means you can use lenses without built in IS, such as primes, and still benefit from stabilization. SteadyShot is actually one of the main reasons I bought this camera.

This camera is small. My pinky barely fits on the body (with effort) and I would consider my hands medium size. If you have large hands and want a full grip, this is not the camera for you. But small hands would likely find this camera perfect. The small body also means it is light weight which is nice for carrying around.

The menu system is intuitive. I had no problems finding the settings I needed. Available buttons and placement also seemed fine to me.

I read several expert reviews which were all good. A couple of reviews praised it for great ISO performance while some others considered the ISO noise to be high. It turns out ISO performance was a problem I discovered in my own testing. I was replacing a Canon EOS XSi with this camera and so was able to do some comparison shots of the same subject under the same lighting conditions. I was shocked that the Canon produced less noise at all ISO's. Even at ISO 200 noise was evident. It was more than a small difference. The comparisons were of RAW files without noise reduction. In JPEG's the a35 apparently does some heavy noise reduction which could explain why some reviews actually said it had great ISO performance. Unfortunately, an increase in noise reduction means a decrease in detail.

The a35 produces very pleasing colors and does of good job with auto white balance. These are improvements over my old XSi. In the end, I returned the camera because I really need good ISO performance. I now have a Nikon d5100 which has low ISO noise and also produces pleasing colors and white balance.

If you shoot RAW and need to use moderately high ISO's (400 to 1600), I do not recommend the a35. However, if you shoot JPEG in good lighting conditions, you're likely to be very happy with it.
22 comments| 32 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on October 18, 2014
Great camera. This is my 2nd a35 and bought this one for a telescope lens....
on September 19, 2011
I stepped up from a point and shoot to this; and while I have not exploited the full "dslr-ness" of this camera, it has already proven easy to shoot awesome pictures. I don't have experience with other dslr's, but I found after a quick read of the manual I was fairly familiar with how to use the features of the camera (and it has quite a few). Now it's up to me developing my knowledge of basic photography and getting some time behind the viewfinder to even attempt to extract the potential this camera has. I'd say the biggest cons are the autofocusing noise during video recording and the lack of a articulated screen. Even then, I think for the money this is a great buy. When it comes down to it, you can always wait another year or spend a few hundred dollars more to get the newer or better option. I don't regret buying the A35 the first day it was available, and I think that says something.
on September 7, 2012
I love this camera. It's image quality is very nice and this camera is a perfect camera for a hobbyist picture taker. It has many built in features and it can take up to 7 shots per second. This is in the same class as Nikon's d5100 I believe, and It performs much better in my opinion.
on July 22, 2013
I like the ease of handling and weight. Pictures are great. I'm still experimenting with it. All my Minolta lens work quite well.