Your Garage Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning Landline Landline Landline  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 1,569 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,701 reviews
on September 17, 2016
I got this radio in Aug 2016. Have always loved Sony quality. Used to have Walkman radio headset. It worked very well for many, many years. Finally it just quit this spring.

What I want is a unit I can wear while gardening, doing yard work, housework and walking. Something that stays tuned to a station, has reliable reception, is durable and *won't get in my way.*

Because the headset was rather bulky it would fall forward off my when I was doing gardening, and the buttons were hard to use while wearing - I kept looking for something that better fit my needs. Over the years I have also tried a Sony radio armband and numerous other headsets & over-ear radios.

Based on my experiences here are the pros/cons with this Walkman unit.

PROS
Excellent tuner. Finds nearby stations easily and clearly.
Reception itself is excellent compared to others I've had. Does not cut out due to trees or houses as with a cheaper headset I bought on Amazon. SEE ALSO CONS
-The HOLD-SETTINGS button is gold! Eliminates so much frustration.
-Six station pre-set buttons. Easy to set.
-Well placed buttons - soft, sueded plastic make them easier to locate without looking, also not slippery.
-Clip is removable.
-Seems sturdy so far overall considering the number of times it has been pulled off. Remains to be seen if the tuner and volume wheel parts are more waterproof than other radios I've had.
-Has digital station ID and constant time display. Must turn power off to see time.
-Easy time set.
-Battery compartment easy to get to. Nothing needs unscrewed. SEE ALSO CONS

CONS
-Reception and stereo signal thru earphones can be lost if unit tilted - or if the ear line plug is turned. Varies.
-Battery compartment door does not lock securely nor is it attached to unit otherwise. I lost it outside after less than a month. Tip: if you buy this radio - gorilla tape over that sucker.
-Earbuds that came with are TOO BIG! Some people have small ear openings.
-Cord length: The cord with it is long and a nuisance for working. I already owned a number of earphones that don't have buds. For most the cords are too long for this belt clip radio. They snag on everything!! The shorter ones just barely reach the plug when on your belt or waist band.
-This is relevant because the radio is too front heavy to clip to any light weight cloth pocket or t-shirt neckline in a secure manner with shorter cords. I have no tops with shirt pockets. I searched online but have not seen any good solution for this problem.
-Not Bluetooth so my wireless dongle doesn't work.
-Belt clip snaps well onto the unit but the clip fit itself is not very tight. Mine has slipped off blue jeans and been snagged off many times. Has slipped off just by leaning over.
Ear phone plug on side. This placement to allow slide unit into a narrow pocket, but those darn things are so vulnerable sticking out!
-Digital display not lighted. This is minor issue for me.

That is my experience so far. Basically, if not for the belt clip and battery door problems I would easily give this 5 stars.
on August 19, 2016
As a blind baseball fan, I appreciate that the Astros broadcast their games on the radio in real time rather than a slight or longer delay like other teams do. Knowing this, I would usually take a CD walkman with a built-in radio with me to the ball park, and reacting at the same time as everyone else to every pitch and every play is simply refreshing. Having said that, I decided I wanted a portable radio with no CD player so that I can take a smaller unit with me. Clarity and excellent reception were necessities in searching for the right radio, followed by battery life. I ended up choosing this Sony radio, and while I haven't gone to a game yet, it seems that this radio should perform without fail. It's easy to use, and it took only minutes to figure out most of the features, such as switching bands and configuring presets. I love the volume knob this radio offers rather than digital volume buttons, as I will constantly and quickly need to adjust how loud or quiet to have the broadcast during a game so as to keep from being drowned out by screaming fans awaiting big moments, and then turning the station back down when things get calm again. The fact that it only takes one AAA battery is a big plus, and it's supposed to last a good while. I'll report back once I've had a chance to take this baby to the ball park and run the battery through its paces, but I have a feeling that this will end up being the right choice.
on April 10, 2016
I have a Honda GL500I tour bike with an in-dash Sony Marine CDXM20, 20 watt x four speakers that you can hear at 70mph+ , and another Honda VT1100C2 ACE Shadow with no place to put one. I bought the Sony for this. I had to buy ear bud speakers from Walmart as the Sony came with headphones,wouldn't fit under the the helmet. I live near and in the mountains in the Shenandoah Valley in Virginia and FM is spotty at best, this radio did as well as my in dash Sony car radio and is clear enough once you find a station .Loud enough at about 70% as well as my other bike plus nobody else has to hear it as I go by. The weather radio does not do as well but was cheaper on sale than the one without it.I am happy overall with it and clipped it to my jacket cuff to be able to adjust it.
on October 15, 2015
The very best small radio out there ! It has a strong, digital tuning system for AM, FM, and Weather stations and you can lock them in and still change them later. Do read the directions on how to set the clock and use the 2 bands of AM, and FM, so you can set many stations. Digital tuning: which means you just have to run through the stations and choose them instead of setting them across a row of numbers. If you use the headphones that come with them, your own or small basic ( not bluetooth) external speakers...you will feel like you are in a concert hall. I did not know this radio sounded so fabulous until I was looking for one to give a friend in Rehabilitation. I gave him that one with headphones and ordered myself another one. Worth the money.FABULOUS SOUND ! Updating this review as I ran across this radio by accident. 4-13-2017 : This small radio is FABULOUS and packs a TON or SOUND and is amazing. Small just means it is easy to carry. I originally gave mine to a bed ridden friend and while testing and replacing the batteries, and replaced it for me with a second one. I forgot it was WONDERFUL.
on January 17, 2016
It's a classic AM/FM Walkman. What more can you say about it?

I wanted this because I commute 8 hours a week for school on a motorcycle and listening to Ipod music is getting quite repetitive. I commute on I-80 over the Sierra Nevada mountains so I intentionally purchased the M37W as it also picked up NOAA weather broadcasts...Well, the item was shipped quickly but what I received is the SRF-M37 which DOES NOT have the weather band.

So yeah, the headphones are different than pictured (which I knew about from other reviews) and I received the wrong model. It's not worth returning the unit over that issue (I'm lazy) but it certainly is a bummer it doesn't have the weather feature that I wanted.
on October 7, 2013
The good part is that it does have very good sound. It's bright and full for most of the FM stations. I bought this to use while working around the garage and yard. After having used it for a few months, here are my thoughts to help potential customers on their decision. GOODS: good sound, uses AAA battery (easily change out so don't have to wait for charge if you didn't plan ahead), lots of preset stations, locks in tuned stations well. BADS: The worst for me was the size and clip. It's WAY too big for what it does. I finally reverted back to my Sansa Clip which is less than 1/4 the size and 1/10 the weight. I couldn't find a good way to carry it without it constantly falling out of my pocket or getting caught on things when clipped to my belt. The volume control is analog, and even though the unit is "locked" I was bumping the volume wheel constantly and getting a blast of volume in my ears, And lastly, there is no way to easily tune the stations - it doesn't seek the next stations, etc. You need to manually push the "+" button and find the frequency of the station you want. When you don't remember exactly what that frequency is and off by 0.01 mhz, it comes in fine for awhile, then fades away. Eventually I was able to dial in all my preset stations, but WHAT A PAIN to use. I've seen on previous reviews that people were buying this for the AM reception, but I rarely listen to AM. If you only listen to FM, I'd skip this one. I think this thing was good maybe 10 years ago, but in this era of electronics, you can do much better - especially for the price that's still charged for this radio.
on December 16, 2012
The Positives: The sound was VERY good. With my Bose headphones the sound was outstanding. Was easy to program. Like the small size.
The Negatives: While walking outside, the local FM station was constantly (like about every fifth second) being intruded upon by some other station. In other words, another station would "whoosh" in with about a one second sound bite, and then "whoosh" out. I moved the tuner plus .1 from the designated signal position, and then minus .1. Tried the "local" and the "DX" designations to try to eliminate the intruding station. Nothing helped. The problem could well be the weak signal strength of the FM station, but I wasn't wanting a radio that could not filter out the intruding "whoosh".
Sent it back.
on April 4, 2015
This is a decent pocket personal radio. Its practically the only model available these days
(without a speaker). I have owned 4 or 5 of them over the years so I am very familiar
with their benefits and pitfalls. The reception is very good. The sound quality is clear
and static free. The single AAA battery is easy to load & unload. The case is solid.
The presets are easy to lock in. On the negative side: one or more of the preset buttons
becomes very hard to push (10 - 20 lbs presssure) after many months of use (maybe
a couple or few years). It will pick up static if held near a running laptop pc or some AC
electrical circuits (less than 18 inches). The volume dial only reduces the sound to
very low, not fully muted. The characters on the preset buttons (12345) will wear off
after a lot of use (but you'll have memorized them by then).
Over all, its not bad, but Sony had better models in the past. Who knew this would be their last.
on June 10, 2008
I bought this Walkman for mowing the lawn and have ended up using it all the time, riding my bike two miles to work, while putting around my shop,and mowing the yard. The reception is crisp and clear, and even here in "Radio Free Wyoming", I can pick up several F.M. stations and the weather band. It is like having a mini-stereo system.
22 comments| 154 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 4, 2014
great little unit but it only worked for 33 days and it quit working. the radio comes on but when you tune for a station you get nothing. all you get is static on all the bands, am fm fm2 and weather. the really sad thing is amazon won't take it back because the thing broke about five days too late. apparently amazons policy is 30 on electronics. if that is the case i will not be buying electronic items from amazon. sad really!!