Shop Auto Winter Products Salon Beauty Magazine Deals Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop STEM Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Despicable Me 3 available to buy Despicable Me 3 available to buy Despicable Me 3 available to buy  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on October 7, 2013
The good part is that it does have very good sound. It's bright and full for most of the FM stations. I bought this to use while working around the garage and yard. After having used it for a few months, here are my thoughts to help potential customers on their decision. GOODS: good sound, uses AAA battery (easily change out so don't have to wait for charge if you didn't plan ahead), lots of preset stations, locks in tuned stations well. BADS: The worst for me was the size and clip. It's WAY too big for what it does. I finally reverted back to my Sansa Clip which is less than 1/4 the size and 1/10 the weight. I couldn't find a good way to carry it without it constantly falling out of my pocket or getting caught on things when clipped to my belt. The volume control is analog, and even though the unit is "locked" I was bumping the volume wheel constantly and getting a blast of volume in my ears, And lastly, there is no way to easily tune the stations - it doesn't seek the next stations, etc. You need to manually push the "+" button and find the frequency of the station you want. When you don't remember exactly what that frequency is and off by 0.01 mhz, it comes in fine for awhile, then fades away. Eventually I was able to dial in all my preset stations, but WHAT A PAIN to use. I've seen on previous reviews that people were buying this for the AM reception, but I rarely listen to AM. If you only listen to FM, I'd skip this one. I think this thing was good maybe 10 years ago, but in this era of electronics, you can do much better - especially for the price that's still charged for this radio.
on December 16, 2012
The Positives: The sound was VERY good. With my Bose headphones the sound was outstanding. Was easy to program. Like the small size.
The Negatives: While walking outside, the local FM station was constantly (like about every fifth second) being intruded upon by some other station. In other words, another station would "whoosh" in with about a one second sound bite, and then "whoosh" out. I moved the tuner plus .1 from the designated signal position, and then minus .1. Tried the "local" and the "DX" designations to try to eliminate the intruding station. Nothing helped. The problem could well be the weak signal strength of the FM station, but I wasn't wanting a radio that could not filter out the intruding "whoosh".
Sent it back.
on April 4, 2015
This is a decent pocket personal radio. Its practically the only model available these days
(without a speaker). I have owned 4 or 5 of them over the years so I am very familiar
with their benefits and pitfalls. The reception is very good. The sound quality is clear
and static free. The single AAA battery is easy to load & unload. The case is solid.
The presets are easy to lock in. On the negative side: one or more of the preset buttons
becomes very hard to push (10 - 20 lbs presssure) after many months of use (maybe
a couple or few years). It will pick up static if held near a running laptop pc or some AC
electrical circuits (less than 18 inches). The volume dial only reduces the sound to
very low, not fully muted. The characters on the preset buttons (12345) will wear off
after a lot of use (but you'll have memorized them by then).
Over all, its not bad, but Sony had better models in the past. Who knew this would be their last.
on June 10, 2008
I bought this Walkman for mowing the lawn and have ended up using it all the time, riding my bike two miles to work, while putting around my shop,and mowing the yard. The reception is crisp and clear, and even here in "Radio Free Wyoming", I can pick up several F.M. stations and the weather band. It is like having a mini-stereo system.
22 comments| 154 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 13, 2016
On FM it is finicky. I have to constantly move it around to a better positioning an attempt get rid of the FM hiss.
The local/DX switch seems to have no use and the WX presets are absolutely useless. I have a local WX station loud and strong on 162.400 that I can pick up on just about any other wx radio in the house. This crappy unit has no WX reception on the presets. There is no way to change them on the SRF-M37W so it is useless for me on WX even though the station is available locally. Before you buy this one shop around for something else.
My little SENSA MP3 player has better FM reception than this Sony.
on April 15, 2017
haven't updated this in twenty years. this is my third one. love it. very good reception and it only takes ONE battery.
on July 25, 2017
It arrived promptly. It is lightweight and has reasonably good reception. It will not receive in problematic areas, such as a basement with overhead pipes and not many windows. The design is clear and simple, the small LCD screen is easy to read. The sound it produces through my Bose stand-alone speakers is wonderfully clear. The price was appropriate. The belt clip on the back seems sturdy, but put a label on the device with your contact info in case this little device goes walkabouts on its own.
on April 12, 2016
Works with the included (large) headphones. Does not work well (poor reception) with my normal "ear bud" style headphones. I suspect this is because the FM antenna is in the earphone cord and probably not included in 3rd party ear buds. This is mentioned in the specs, but I still thought it would work for news/sports stations. I'll probably return this.
on September 3, 2014
OK, as a portable radio, not so great. While it may program as easily as a car radio, the performance really sucks. I'm in a river valley area close to many different FM stations. My car radio can't fine an unused FM station. This thing can't fine much more than 10 stations, with or w/o the LOCAL switch setting. Worse, the stations it does pickup, are spread out of multiple digital channels (like 100.3, 100.4, 100.5, 100,6, and 100.7) Strange behavior.

Other wise, the size and operation are idea. It runs from on AAA battery (not included, as with most better Sony products). I'm very suspicious that this isn't really a SONY product, because I would rate it a D for performance. I mean, it did work as advertised, otherwise. The headphones were included, not earbuds (pictured). I hate earbuds. This thing is worth $10 as a novelty, not a serious walkman.
on May 26, 2016
I bought 2 of these for early Mother's Day gifts, and after a month of use, I can say that this is a competent product, but not without it's weaknesses. First, it seems to be sturdily built, and the buttons give good response. A single AAA battery keeps it running for a long time - probably close to the 50+ hours claimed. My tech-challenged wife had no problem setting the presets. The included headphones don't do the radio justice - use a better set of 'phones; you won't regret it. I loop the cord through the detachable belt clip, since I tend to hang up the cord & yank it loose as I move around - btw, belt clips from other Sony models (e.g. the srf-59) also fit the m37w. Audio quality is acceptable, if a bit bass-heavy, but I guess that's what the buying public wants. The analog volume control works well, and I can mow the lawn while listening. The lock-out switch turns off everything except the volume control. The DX (long distance) setting only works for the weather band - in fact I have to set it to DX to get any reception on this band. DX-ing on other bands is so-so. Local station reception is rock-solid, and the PLL tuning works well. The AM band is susceptible to RF (radio frequency) interference, so I can't use it near other electronics. Also, the internal AM antenna is sensitive to orientation, so signals fade as the radio is moved - not a good trait for a wearable radio. To sum up - if you can live w/these shortcomings, I'd say go for it.