Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Month Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Only $29.99 for a limited time Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheTick TheTick TheTick  Three new members of the Echo family Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18PP_gno

First off, the reason why the price of this unit has more than doubled in recent months is because it's been discontinued. And what a shame that is. I've read awesome things about this little Sony online. It has fantastic reception. Quite a good DXer, as it picks up AM stations far and near. The headphones that come with this radio aren't any good. Use any pair of ear buds you like. $40.99 sounds pricey and is pricey for this radio. Until fairly recently this radio was selling on Amazon for $15. I highly recommend this radio to those who especially love AM or DXers. Enjoy and buy it while you still can!
Top Contributor: Cyclingon December 28, 2014
It's a good radio for the price and the included headphones are also pretty good, good base and a confortable feel.

Tuning stations is easy and the tuning nob turns with ease. I am able to tune in to one of my favorite local FM stations 107.7 the bone and it came through pretty clear. They were doing a football game at the time I got it so I was a bit dissapointed I couldn't listen to any rock music the day I got it.

The quality is decent enough but I wouldn't really trust dropping it as it's made in China. And like most things made in China are usually built cheap to save the company money. It's put together pretty well but the battery compartment feels like it could break if I dropped it.

It's also got a switch for FM SENS for local or DX tuning. Another switch above that allows you to switch from AM to FM and vice versa.

Because smartphones still lack the ability to aquire local radio stations this was a good buy. I think it's because allot of tech companies are more invested in smartphones now days that nobody really researched ways to minimize radios to be small enough to fit into smartphones.

This radio is pretty small. It's a little thicker than my smartphone and a little shorter plus it's got a belt clip which makes more room in my pocket for my phone and other stuff.
on June 13, 2017
I bought this radio back in 2009 and as I'm now looking for a radio I almost forgot I bought this. The reason being is that the tuning sensitivity was so bad that I only tried using it for about a week and basically tossed it in the drawer before I tossed it in the trash. I thought since it was a SONY it was going to be of good quality, If cost is an indication of quality-spend more money and get something better.
on August 28, 2015
I bought this for my father. He barely used it only while doing household chores. Purchased it in August and it stopped working in November , pretty much a waste for the money you spend. No returns or replacement because it's been too long . Don't waste your money on this product.
review image
on January 30, 2016
:I have three of these. Classic lines, easy to use, mobile, rugged, and most important, the best AM/FM reception that any radio lover could want.

I have other designed, updated dated hand held radios that can not perform anywhere as well, are awkward to use. The others fail to satisfy, have poor reception, unfreindly to use, nonsense designs have poor AM reception, that do not measure up to this Sony...

The other portable i used seem designed by individuals that have no radio use nor a radio lover's tradition.

I take this model all over the world, use it jogging, bicycling, sometimes even to put me to sleep at night. I listen with ear buds or over the ears hones. Once in a while I use with external mini speakers.

This revered by me radio is one that delivers. Never fails me.
on December 4, 2016
My father doesnt understand iPods or smart phones or any forms typically used for music these days. He wanted a radio to listen to while working at his part time job. He LOVES it. He cannot stop bragging on it. He loves that it's Sony. I might have to buy another back up in case he ever loses it because he would be heartbroken. He's used it every weekend for almost a year now and we've had no issues. Good quality.
on July 4, 2017
Over the years I have bought various "walkman type" radios from various manufacturers. This Sony is a fantastic radio. I have owned analog and digital tuners and find the sensitivity and selectivity of this radio to be on par, if not above, digital tuners. Don't let the low price and non-frills appearance fool you. The sound is top rate and the output is sufficient to drive the headphones with very little input from the volume control. Sure you don't get some features that one gets with digital receivers, but I listen to one station while exercising so channel surfing isn't an issue. I am very well pleased with this radio and for the money, you can't beat it.
on April 12, 2016
I bought this when I went from driving to work to taking the train (radio is the best part of driving.) Anyway, I think this is a pretty great product and I used it every day when commuting. One star off because some of the plastic in the headphones chipped easily when I threw it in my bag. Wouldn't normally care especially because the headphones weren't why I bought this, but I feel like the product should be somewhat durable since most people use it while commuting.
on May 25, 2015
This never really worked. The mechanical tuning made it hard to find a station. The stations never came in well. Worked very poorly in areas with poor reception. It is now in the trash. I recommended that you stay with digital tuning. Going back to my 10 year old digital Walkman AM / FM / Weather SRF-M37W portable. I have to add that the clamshell packaging on this low priced item was ridiculously hard to open. Had to use scissors and a knife and still cut myself. I am very disappointed in this item.
on April 13, 2015
I work in Boston and like to listen to the afternoon Sox games. The buildings hampered the FM signals on my previous radios, but not this one - I can listen at work or during my mile walk to the dock to get the commuter boat without losing the signal. The on/off button stays put - no worries that it will turn on while in my bag when not in use. The tuning dial is not loose like the other radios had - whichever station I select, the tuning dial stays on it. Also, when the commuter boat is away from land - on my previous radios, I'd always lose signal - but not with this one. Granted we're not too far out from land, but the other radios always lost signal. This Sony picks up local stations very quickly & clearly. I donated the headphones and use my Bose earbuds - beautiful sound & clarity. I've only tried FM stations so far, so I can't speak to the AM capability, but Boston has a high wattage AM station, and I'm sure it'll come in as clear as the FM stations have. This is a great little gem for commuters, runners, walkers, elders, for summer days at the beach, or for your kids' summer camp. Highly recommend!