Spring Deals Automotive HPC Best Books of the Month Casual Friday Style nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Only: $44.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now TG18SW_gno

First off, the reason why the price of this unit has more than doubled in recent months is because it's been discontinued. And what a shame that is. I've read awesome things about this little Sony online. It has fantastic reception. Quite a good DXer, as it picks up AM stations far and near. The headphones that come with this radio aren't any good. Use any pair of ear buds you like. $40.99 sounds pricey and is pricey for this radio. Until fairly recently this radio was selling on Amazon for $15. I highly recommend this radio to those who especially love AM or DXers. Enjoy and buy it while you still can!
on January 30, 2016
:I have three of these. Classic lines, easy to use, mobile, rugged, and most important, the best AM/FM reception that any radio lover could want.

I have other designed, updated dated hand held radios that can not perform anywhere as well, are awkward to use. The others fail to satisfy, have poor reception, unfreindly to use, nonsense designs have poor AM reception, that do not measure up to this Sony...

The other portable i used seem designed by individuals that have no radio use nor a radio lover's tradition.

I take this model all over the world, use it jogging, bicycling, sometimes even to put me to sleep at night. I listen with ear buds or over the ears hones. Once in a while I use with external mini speakers.

This revered by me radio is one that delivers. Never fails me.
Top Contributor: Cyclingon December 28, 2014
It's a good radio for the price and the included headphones are also pretty good, good base and a confortable feel.

Tuning stations is easy and the tuning nob turns with ease. I am able to tune in to one of my favorite local FM stations 107.7 the bone and it came through pretty clear. They were doing a football game at the time I got it so I was a bit dissapointed I couldn't listen to any rock music the day I got it.

The quality is decent enough but I wouldn't really trust dropping it as it's made in China. And like most things made in China are usually built cheap to save the company money. It's put together pretty well but the battery compartment feels like it could break if I dropped it.

It's also got a switch for FM SENS for local or DX tuning. Another switch above that allows you to switch from AM to FM and vice versa.

Because smartphones still lack the ability to aquire local radio stations this was a good buy. I think it's because allot of tech companies are more invested in smartphones now days that nobody really researched ways to minimize radios to be small enough to fit into smartphones.

This radio is pretty small. It's a little thicker than my smartphone and a little shorter plus it's got a belt clip which makes more room in my pocket for my phone and other stuff.
on June 13, 2017
I bought this radio back in 2009 and as I'm now looking for a radio I almost forgot I bought this. The reason being is that the tuning sensitivity was so bad that I only tried using it for about a week and basically tossed it in the drawer before I tossed it in the trash. I thought since it was a SONY it was going to be of good quality, If cost is an indication of quality-spend more money and get something better.
on August 28, 2015
I bought this for my father. He barely used it only while doing household chores. Purchased it in August and it stopped working in November , pretty much a waste for the money you spend. No returns or replacement because it's been too long . Don't waste your money on this product.
review image
on April 12, 2016
I bought this when I went from driving to work to taking the train (radio is the best part of driving.) Anyway, I think this is a pretty great product and I used it every day when commuting. One star off because some of the plastic in the headphones chipped easily when I threw it in my bag. Wouldn't normally care especially because the headphones weren't why I bought this, but I feel like the product should be somewhat durable since most people use it while commuting.
on July 4, 2017
Over the years I have bought various "walkman type" radios from various manufacturers. This Sony is a fantastic radio. I have owned analog and digital tuners and find the sensitivity and selectivity of this radio to be on par, if not above, digital tuners. Don't let the low price and non-frills appearance fool you. The sound is top rate and the output is sufficient to drive the headphones with very little input from the volume control. Sure you don't get some features that one gets with digital receivers, but I listen to one station while exercising so channel surfing isn't an issue. I am very well pleased with this radio and for the money, you can't beat it.
on February 8, 2016
I'm knocking down the review because Amazon has been wildly hiking the price of this product.
Forty beans for this product is ridiculous. At half or less that, it was a good deal. However, having purchased a half dozen or so over the years, one was a failure, only bringing in one station and not able to move off it. I didn't mind so much, because for what they used to cost, they were serviceable radios.
Don't get fleeced by the jacked-up price, particularly for a product that is the same it was way over a decade ago.
on March 30, 2017
Pretty clear reception. It does have some trouble with static around computers, but it is crystal clear when no interference is around. I use this radio about 8 hours a day at work. The AM stations come in pretty clear, and the FM sounds great. The battery didn't die until about 2 months of my constant use. The headphones that came with the unit aren't the ones in the picture. They were earbuds, and I didn't like them, so I just plugged in a headset I already own. Price seemed a little on the high end, but this kind of technology is on its way out the door anyway, so I didn't mind paying it. I read some reviews saying the tuner is too sensitive and hurts their fingers. I haven't encountered that issue and don't really understand what they are talking about.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on July 10, 2013
I bought this radio to use while doing outdoor chores, so I was looking for something relatively light. In its favor, this Sony Walkman is fairly light and the clip holds it fairly securely. Of course, what is important for a radio is its ability to get stations and play sound. In terms of getting stations, I could never get a solid "lock" on the local NPR station (88.9). I could clearly pick up another station "before" the NPR station and could equally clearly get the same station "after" the NPR station. When I could get the NPR station static was a problem. Also, when I moved (to pull weeds, for example) I would lose the NPR station and the other station would come in crystal clear. To be fair, this might be a problem with the station-although it does come in perfectly on my truck's radio.

In contrast to the NPR station, the radio picked up other stations very well and had excellent sound quality for a radio in this price range. As such, if the stations you want are ones that it can lock onto, you will find this a good radio.

The plastic shell of the radio is the usual cheap plastic that looks fairly fragile. I have not drop tested it, but would not expect it to stand up to too much abuse-but, of course, it is a lower priced radio.

The headphones do produced decent sound, but they fell off fairly regularly when I tried to use them. I was working outside and so was sweaty and moving around quite a bit. Switching to better headphones solved that problem.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse