Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 1,398 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,551 reviews
on March 11, 2016
First off, the reason why the price of this unit has more than doubled in recent months is because it's been discontinued. And what a shame that is. I've read awesome things about this little Sony online. It has fantastic reception. Quite a good DXer, as it picks up AM stations far and near. The headphones that come with this radio aren't any good. Use any pair of ear buds you like. $40.99 sounds pricey and is pricey for this radio. Until fairly recently this radio was selling on Amazon for $15. I highly recommend this radio to those who especially love AM or DXers. Enjoy and buy it while you still can!
on January 19, 2008
Sony is offering a nearly-free gift. For fifteen dollars, you can purchase a phenomenal AM and FM Walkman radio complete with headphones. Light as a feather, the SRF-59 is so sensitive that Internet groups have popped up just to discuss its use. Sony's radio has become the standard in a new category of 21st century portables known as ultralights. Hobbyists who relish exotic long-distance reception have heralded the SRF-59 as a technological miracle.

The unit houses a little printed circuit board with two integrated circuit chips. One is a self-contained complete AM / FM tuner and the second is the audio amplifier to drive the headphones. Due to its concise nature, its single AA battery lasts for over 100 hours. The SRF-59's performance is comparable to other radios costing hundreds of dollars. Sony's ultraweight Walkman has been compared favorably to legendary units such as the GE Superadio, The Sony ICF-2010 and the Sangean CC Radio. If you are looking for the ultimate receiver to hear distant ball games or talk shows, this is it.

Seasoned DXers, the skilled sophisticated listeners who often homebrew their own equipment, have devised several modifications for the radio itself along with ideas to augment its circuitry with powerful outdoor antennas. Even as a stock unit, right out of its plastic bubble packaging, SRF-59 owners have heard AM radio stations all the way across the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans from places like Japan and Saudi Arabia. The SRF-59 truly has enormous ears.

After using Sony's miracle for several years, only a few criticisms can be made. The headphones are only average quality. Tuning the Walkman is a little fussy. The knob provided to adjust what station you are listening to is pretty tiny even for petite thumbs. With ferocious abuse, you can wear out the radio. After about a year of pounding during train commutes, and walking across Manhattan, I had to buy a new one because I wore out the tuning capacitor. The SRF-59 is worth the price of admission. I used to listen to WWKB in Buffalo, New York, on AM radio, while sitting in an electronic noise nightmare (a steel Metro-North commuter train) on my way to New York City. WWKB was 300 miles away!

Whenever you need a little casual entertainment, the SRF-59 can't be beat. Leave one in your purse or coat pocket or in your attache case. The SRF-59 is low maintenance. You don't need to download to it. It almost never needs a battery. You can hear amazing things nearly everywhere you go. It weighs so little, you'll have to feel into your pocket just to know it's there. For in-depth information, take a look at two radio hobbyist web sites: [...]. As a dyed-in-the-wool radio listener, I couldn't recommend a purchase more highly! At this incredibly low price, you can't miss!
review image
0Comment| 100 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 28, 2014
It's a good radio for the price and the included headphones are also pretty good, good base and a confortable feel.

Tuning stations is easy and the tuning nob turns with ease. I am able to tune in to one of my favorite local FM stations 107.7 the bone and it came through pretty clear. They were doing a football game at the time I got it so I was a bit dissapointed I couldn't listen to any rock music the day I got it.

The quality is decent enough but I wouldn't really trust dropping it as it's made in China. And like most things made in China are usually built cheap to save the company money. It's put together pretty well but the battery compartment feels like it could break if I dropped it.

It's also got a switch for FM SENS for local or DX tuning. Another switch above that allows you to switch from AM to FM and vice versa.

Because smartphones still lack the ability to aquire local radio stations this was a good buy. I think it's because allot of tech companies are more invested in smartphones now days that nobody really researched ways to minimize radios to be small enough to fit into smartphones.

This radio is pretty small. It's a little thicker than my smartphone and a little shorter plus it's got a belt clip which makes more room in my pocket for my phone and other stuff.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon December 3, 2014
Terrific portable radio. Reception on a par with my digital tuning walkmans of old. Battery life on FM radio must be in the 100 hour range - longer than on my old panasonic that featured extended battery life. The earphones double as the antenna - not quite as good as expandable antenna, but much more convenient. This is a diminutive version of the walkman - smaller than a pack of cigarettes by a good measure. Entirely satisfied

NOTE: in 2015 Sony discontinued this radio and consequently Amazon's price has changed from $15 to $45 as it unloads existing inventory. I went to get a replacement radio as I gave the first one away - but I'm not going to pay $45.
on August 28, 2015
I bought this for my father. He barely used it only while doing household chores. Purchased it in August and it stopped working in November , pretty much a waste for the money you spend. No returns or replacement because it's been too long . Don't waste your money on this product.
review image
on May 25, 2015
This never really worked. The mechanical tuning made it hard to find a station. The stations never came in well. Worked very poorly in areas with poor reception. It is now in the trash. I recommended that you stay with digital tuning. Going back to my 10 year old digital Walkman AM / FM / Weather SRF-M37W portable. I have to add that the clamshell packaging on this low priced item was ridiculously hard to open. Had to use scissors and a knife and still cut myself. I am very disappointed in this item.
on July 4, 2017
Over the years I have bought various "walkman type" radios from various manufacturers. This Sony is a fantastic radio. I have owned analog and digital tuners and find the sensitivity and selectivity of this radio to be on par, if not above, digital tuners. Don't let the low price and non-frills appearance fool you. The sound is top rate and the output is sufficient to drive the headphones with very little input from the volume control. Sure you don't get some features that one gets with digital receivers, but I listen to one station while exercising so channel surfing isn't an issue. I am very well pleased with this radio and for the money, you can't beat it.
on January 30, 2016
:I have three of these. Classic lines, easy to use, mobile, rugged, and most important, the best AM/FM reception that any radio lover could want.

I have other designed, updated dated hand held radios that can not perform anywhere as well, are awkward to use. The others fail to satisfy, have poor reception, unfreindly to use, nonsense designs have poor AM reception, that do not measure up to this Sony...

The other portable i used seem designed by individuals that have no radio use nor a radio lover's tradition.

I take this model all over the world, use it jogging, bicycling, sometimes even to put me to sleep at night. I listen with ear buds or over the ears hones. Once in a while I use with external mini speakers.

This revered by me radio is one that delivers. Never fails me.
on December 4, 2016
My father doesnt understand iPods or smart phones or any forms typically used for music these days. He wanted a radio to listen to while working at his part time job. He LOVES it. He cannot stop bragging on it. He loves that it's Sony. I might have to buy another back up in case he ever loses it because he would be heartbroken. He's used it every weekend for almost a year now and we've had no issues. Good quality.
on June 13, 2017
I bought this radio back in 2009 and as I'm now looking for a radio I almost forgot I bought this. The reason being is that the tuning sensitivity was so bad that I only tried using it for about a week and basically tossed it in the drawer before I tossed it in the trash. I thought since it was a SONY it was going to be of good quality, If cost is an indication of quality-spend more money and get something better.