Amazon Vehicles Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB DG Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Gifts for Dad Shop Popular Services twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now Ellen

Showing 1-10 of 1,383 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,535 reviews
on September 17, 2015
I have bought two of these radios, both at very low prices. Initially, in both cases, I was happy with both the reception and low price. However, both times the radios quit working suddenly, without any indication something was wrong. After the first one, which I had bought new but at a low price, went belly-up, I decided to buy a 2nd one new, which I also got at a low price, figuring the first one going bad was just a rare occurrence. Nope. The 2nd one did the exact same thing: it started out working great. Then it just quit, without any indication that a problem was developing. All I do is walk, no jogging, carrying the radio usually, or in the winter time, maybe having it in a pocket. Neither radio received any rough treatment of any kind. If you do purchase this radio, absolutely don't pay the higher prices for it. And do, in my opinion, pay for the warranty. You may be likely to need it.
on March 11, 2016
First off, the reason why the price of this unit has more than doubled in recent months is because it's been discontinued. And what a shame that is. I've read awesome things about this little Sony online. It has fantastic reception. Quite a good DXer, as it picks up AM stations far and near. The headphones that come with this radio aren't any good. Use any pair of ear buds you like. $40.99 sounds pricey and is pricey for this radio. Until fairly recently this radio was selling on Amazon for $15. I highly recommend this radio to those who especially love AM or DXers. Enjoy and buy it while you still can!
on January 19, 2008
Sony is offering a nearly-free gift. For fifteen dollars, you can purchase a phenomenal AM and FM Walkman radio complete with headphones. Light as a feather, the SRF-59 is so sensitive that Internet groups have popped up just to discuss its use. Sony's radio has become the standard in a new category of 21st century portables known as ultralights. Hobbyists who relish exotic long-distance reception have heralded the SRF-59 as a technological miracle.

The unit houses a little printed circuit board with two integrated circuit chips. One is a self-contained complete AM / FM tuner and the second is the audio amplifier to drive the headphones. Due to its concise nature, its single AA battery lasts for over 100 hours. The SRF-59's performance is comparable to other radios costing hundreds of dollars. Sony's ultraweight Walkman has been compared favorably to legendary units such as the GE Superadio, The Sony ICF-2010 and the Sangean CC Radio. If you are looking for the ultimate receiver to hear distant ball games or talk shows, this is it.

Seasoned DXers, the skilled sophisticated listeners who often homebrew their own equipment, have devised several modifications for the radio itself along with ideas to augment its circuitry with powerful outdoor antennas. Even as a stock unit, right out of its plastic bubble packaging, SRF-59 owners have heard AM radio stations all the way across the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans from places like Japan and Saudi Arabia. The SRF-59 truly has enormous ears.

After using Sony's miracle for several years, only a few criticisms can be made. The headphones are only average quality. Tuning the Walkman is a little fussy. The knob provided to adjust what station you are listening to is pretty tiny even for petite thumbs. With ferocious abuse, you can wear out the radio. After about a year of pounding during train commutes, and walking across Manhattan, I had to buy a new one because I wore out the tuning capacitor. The SRF-59 is worth the price of admission. I used to listen to WWKB in Buffalo, New York, on AM radio, while sitting in an electronic noise nightmare (a steel Metro-North commuter train) on my way to New York City. WWKB was 300 miles away!

Whenever you need a little casual entertainment, the SRF-59 can't be beat. Leave one in your purse or coat pocket or in your attache case. The SRF-59 is low maintenance. You don't need to download to it. It almost never needs a battery. You can hear amazing things nearly everywhere you go. It weighs so little, you'll have to feel into your pocket just to know it's there. For in-depth information, take a look at two radio hobbyist web sites: [...]. As a dyed-in-the-wool radio listener, I couldn't recommend a purchase more highly! At this incredibly low price, you can't miss!
review image
0Comment| 100 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 28, 2014
It's a good radio for the price and the included headphones are also pretty good, good base and a confortable feel.

Tuning stations is easy and the tuning nob turns with ease. I am able to tune in to one of my favorite local FM stations 107.7 the bone and it came through pretty clear. They were doing a football game at the time I got it so I was a bit dissapointed I couldn't listen to any rock music the day I got it.

The quality is decent enough but I wouldn't really trust dropping it as it's made in China. And like most things made in China are usually built cheap to save the company money. It's put together pretty well but the battery compartment feels like it could break if I dropped it.

It's also got a switch for FM SENS for local or DX tuning. Another switch above that allows you to switch from AM to FM and vice versa.

Because smartphones still lack the ability to aquire local radio stations this was a good buy. I think it's because allot of tech companies are more invested in smartphones now days that nobody really researched ways to minimize radios to be small enough to fit into smartphones.

This radio is pretty small. It's a little thicker than my smartphone and a little shorter plus it's got a belt clip which makes more room in my pocket for my phone and other stuff.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon December 3, 2014
Terrific portable radio. Reception on a par with my digital tuning walkmans of old. Battery life on FM radio must be in the 100 hour range - longer than on my old panasonic that featured extended battery life. The earphones double as the antenna - not quite as good as expandable antenna, but much more convenient. This is a diminutive version of the walkman - smaller than a pack of cigarettes by a good measure. Entirely satisfied

NOTE: in 2015 Sony discontinued this radio and consequently Amazon's price has changed from $15 to $45 as it unloads existing inventory. I went to get a replacement radio as I gave the first one away - but I'm not going to pay $45.
on October 19, 2015
This was a great little radio..until it it stopped being reliable, which happened way too soon. I bought this on the recommendation of a friend who has one. She's had hers for ages and it only just started acting up. I used mine for a couple of months, very happily, before it started to be so unreliable, I've stopped using it. I turn it on, get sound, tune it, the sound dies and doesn't come back. This happens so randomly. I never know if it's worth bringing this with me. It's now useless and I feel I've wasted $50. Very disappointed.
on February 8, 2016
I'm knocking down the review because Amazon has been wildly hiking the price of this product.
Forty beans for this product is ridiculous. At half or less that, it was a good deal. However, having purchased a half dozen or so over the years, one was a failure, only bringing in one station and not able to move off it. I didn't mind so much, because for what they used to cost, they were serviceable radios.
Don't get fleeced by the jacked-up price, particularly for a product that is the same it was way over a decade ago.
on January 30, 2016
:I have three of these. Classic lines, easy to use, mobile, rugged, and most important, the best AM/FM reception that any radio lover could want.

I have other designed, updated dated hand held radios that can not perform anywhere as well, are awkward to use. The others fail to satisfy, have poor reception, unfreindly to use, nonsense designs have poor AM reception, that do not measure up to this Sony...

The other portable i used seem designed by individuals that have no radio use nor a radio lover's tradition.

I take this model all over the world, use it jogging, bicycling, sometimes even to put me to sleep at night. I listen with ear buds or over the ears hones. Once in a while I use with external mini speakers.

This revered by me radio is one that delivers. Never fails me.
on December 4, 2016
My father doesnt understand iPods or smart phones or any forms typically used for music these days. He wanted a radio to listen to while working at his part time job. He LOVES it. He cannot stop bragging on it. He loves that it's Sony. I might have to buy another back up in case he ever loses it because he would be heartbroken. He's used it every weekend for almost a year now and we've had no issues. Good quality.
on April 13, 2015
I work in Boston and like to listen to the afternoon Sox games. The buildings hampered the FM signals on my previous radios, but not this one - I can listen at work or during my mile walk to the dock to get the commuter boat without losing the signal. The on/off button stays put - no worries that it will turn on while in my bag when not in use. The tuning dial is not loose like the other radios had - whichever station I select, the tuning dial stays on it. Also, when the commuter boat is away from land - on my previous radios, I'd always lose signal - but not with this one. Granted we're not too far out from land, but the other radios always lost signal. This Sony picks up local stations very quickly & clearly. I donated the headphones and use my Bose earbuds - beautiful sound & clarity. I've only tried FM stations so far, so I can't speak to the AM capability, but Boston has a high wattage AM station, and I'm sure it'll come in as clear as the FM stations have. This is a great little gem for commuters, runners, walkers, elders, for summer days at the beach, or for your kids' summer camp. Highly recommend!