Beauty Summer Reading Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One Fire TV Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

on February 23, 2015
These speakers are the best! I did a lot of research when buying them and for the price nothing can compare. Ive used them with the covers on and off and with them off they are amazing. I have them paired with a 12" sub as well and people consistently tell me its one of the best speaker systems they've heard. I also use an optical audio cord to my receiver and the sound that comes out is near perfect. Overall I am very happy with my purchase of these speakers.
review image
7 people found this helpful
on December 27, 2014
I have replaced my twenty some year old speakers with these taller and more narrow Sony SSF-5000 and after three days felt compelled to share what I think about them. I read as many reviews that I could and decided to take the plunge. I am so glad that I did. All this talk about no bass could not be further from the truth! My old speakers had a 10 inch woofer and these have blown that away. They will shake the walls if you crank it up I am sure. I have mine set at 6 and it is more than enough for me. Maybe some of the reviews are from the people that are in traffic with the boom box sound we all have heard. I find them to be perfect for me. Nice highs, nice crisp clear sound, not bulky and they look very sharp. I am using a Sony 135 watt per channel receiver so they are very compatible. Go for it! You won't be disappointed.
3 people found this helpful
on June 16, 2013
I am a musician, composer and arranger. I have a very sensitive ear, and being able to hear each and every instrument in an orchestra in my speakers is vitally important to me. But I am most assuredly not an "audiophile." It's been my experience 99% of high end audio components are sold by salesmen who only have technical knowledge of what they sell and no ear for music. They tend to consider the worth of an audio component based on price (more is better, right?), magazine reviews, not all of which are without an agenda to promote an item or manufacturer, without any regard to what they hear. I should also add my receiver is about 30 years old and cranks out a "measly" 30 watts (because more is better, right?).

These Sony speakers sound crystal clear, with sharp highs and a full midrange. The lowest frequency response is 45 Hz, so I have supplemented them with a $99 sub woofer from Radio Shack. (My old receiver has no specific output for a sub woofer, so both right and left speaker outputs go to my sub woofer, and from there, the left and right speakers. And I use 22 g speaker wire. $1000 Monster Cable is for suckers who figure more is better, right?)

At low volumes, these speakers pick up all the nuances and detail in the music (I only listen to Classical music, but since Classical music has the greatest frequency and dynamic ranges, listening to anything else would only be better), and when I crank these babies up, I can loosen plaster from my walls.

If you're one of those "audiophiles," don't buy these. They're too inexpensive for you. You'll need to go to one of those audiophile sucker shops to empty your wallet on something you'll never tell the difference with. But if you're a serious listener and think it's absurd to spend thousands of dollars on speakers, you won't find a better deal than these.

One possibly important note: the warranty is only valid in Canada! I don't expect to be using it, as they are well-made and solid with no design flaws or imperfections, but it's something I didn't know when I bought them. It wouldn't have changed my mind, though.

Pros:
Crisp, clear sound at all dynamic ranges.
The price for what you get.

Cons:
You'll probably need a sub woofer to fill in anything below 45 Hz
They're a bit tall, so if room is an issue, this might not be your best choice.
Warranty is valid only in Canada, eh.
8 people found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse
on February 13, 2015
Love the sound "color", extremely crisp and responsive mid-to-high range, alternative rock / hipster / electronica / ambient all sound amazing. Paired them with a Sony amp STRDH130 and they work together great, though I would say the speakers are a bit "revealing" of the 2-channel EQ of the amp. I find myself tweaking them between songs to get that crazy etherial feeling that makes modern music great. I want to get another pair or 3 to get better spread the mid-to-high range in the room. What I've noticed is that to get the full effect you really need the medium and small cones pointed at or near your ears. If you're more than 20 degrees off you can definitely tell the mid/high is fading.

Plenty of bass for my taste, but I no longer have 12" subs in my car, so if you like wearing your pants hanging down to your knees, may not be enough bass for you.
4 people found this helpful
on April 5, 2015
Absolutely ridiculous for the price - and shipped for free!

Unless these don't work out of the box, I see no reason that anyone could give them less than a 5 star rating.

They are $198 for the PAIR ... shipped to your door!

Awesome sound cranks out of these. Perfect for a living room, playing movies, streaming music. The sound quality is great. It's taken very little calibration to achieve the sound that I like. I'm not audiophile, and really ... even people that say they are ... aren't ... so no one should really be THAT picky or claim to be able to hear like a dolphin under water.

Unless you want a different color than black, there's no way you can go wrong with this set!
on May 18, 2016
These Sony tower speakers have served me well over the past 5 years playing various types of music and movies.
With a front ported design and 8 inch woofers they put out more bass than you might expect from speakers weighing in at just 25 lbs each.
Midrange and highs are clear with the tweeters being positioned near head level.
The towers have a nice clean look with the grills on or off and good quality vinyl woodgrain wrap.
I combined the SSF-5000's with a 100 watt per channel receiver and Sony SA-W2500 subwoofer for an affordable powerful bedroom stereo.
review image
One person found this helpful
on January 22, 2013
I'm no expert when it comes to speakers, but I do know what kind of sound I want out of my system. I was using a pair of Bose 301 bookshelf speakers as the front speakers to my home theater. The issue with those was, due to their location, the sound was not projecting into the room (I now use these as my rear speakers). I did quite a bit of research before choosing these speakers - read a lot of reviews on Amazon and Sony.com. Yes, price was a major consideration, but I wanted good performance especially on the low end sound. After installing the speakers and doing a little tweaking with my receiver, I was very happy with the sound. Everything is very clear and the sound projects very good into the room. I was especially pleased with the bass that these speakers produce.
These speakers can more than handle the 250 watt/channel receiver that I have. I can now turn the volume up very high and still hear all sounds clearly. On no movie was the more evident than 'Saving Private Ryan'. The sound separation during the battle sequences was amazing for speakers of this price.
I'm sure you can get even better sound out of more expensive speakers. Based on testing 'high end' speakers at a local electronics store, I found that I would have had to spend $750+ to get speakers that sound 'better' than these.
I've always been happy with Sony audio equipment and these speakers did not disappoint.
I do recommend that you adjust your receiver to get the most out of these speakers. Luckily for me that process was quick and painless.
In my opinion, unless you're a picky audiophile, you won't find better performance at any price close to these speakers.
My home theater room is now filled with great sound thanks to these speakers.
on April 10, 2014
[This review has been updated to a higher rating after listening to these speakers for a longer time] I'll agree with many of the other reviews by saying that you can't really beat the price. The speakers are large, sturdy and well made. But the most important thing about a set of speakers is the sound. At first I was unsure what to think about the sound, but after time I've realized that the sound quality is really pretty good. However, they aren't the type of speakers where you listen to music, jump up out of your chair and yell, "Wow! These things sound fabulous!" But they do sound pretty good at low and at high volume. The tones are true, well separated and crisp. The tonal range is wide, complete and distinct, but they do suffer a little bit in the bass range--though I'm thankful they don't have a droning sub-woofer sound. We use our stereo to listen to music, plain and simple, not to listen to the television, movies or games (we have a surround-sound system for that). For music, these things turned out better than expected.

We will keep them and enjoy them, but we will continue our hunt for the elusive affordable Ear Candy, if such a beast truly exists.
One person found this helpful
|33 comments|Report abuse
on January 21, 2012
I'm used to some pretty impressive speakers that I won't get in to here. These were for the family room at home.

Cutting to the chase, they're amazing for the $100-ish price tag per pair. The 7000's are a much better speaker, but if you're looking for something that'll do the job that's ultra-budget-friendly, I've heard much worse. If you bought a "home-theater-in-a-box" with those tiny little 3" woofer ceiling-mount speakers that are hardly large enough to work well in the surround field and you want to step it up some without worrying about the kids bumping them, you've found it.

Leave your old "mains" up from the old system, upgrade to a 7.1 receiver and use them as surrounds with your 5000's in the front.

Getting into it -- As with most speakers I've used, they were very anemic out-of-the-box. Over a few weeks of break-in, pretty much everything improved. The lows got lower, the highs opened up, the mids set into the field (instead of sounding very pushed). The woofer actually moves a little air once it breaks in a bit.

But again, if this is your main listening system and the budget allows, the 7000's are the way to go.

If you're an audiophile, don't expect to be impressed, but pleasantly surprised by the bang-for-the-buck. If you're a casual listener, you'll be shocked at how decent a hundred bucks can sound.

TIP: Getting them off the ground around 8" is a huge bonus. For nearly free, a pair of cinder bricks (per side) covered in cloth to hide the ugliness, does a fine job (even with substantially better speakers, this is a pretty common 'trick' to get shorter floorstanders up to ear-level).
4 people found this helpful
on March 1, 2014
I did not want to spend a ton for speakers that would be matched to an older modular receiver set-up. This set was a very good choice. I listen to a combination of classic rock, 80's New Wave, 90's alternative, and that's about it. The bass is so sufficient that i returned a separate subwoofer. I like bass, and i really don't need the extra bass that a sub provides. These speakers provide sufficient bass. The tweeter and midrange are just fine. No, these are not an audiophile's speaker of choice, but I am discriminating to a degree, and i like the quality of the sound.