Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 146 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 200 reviews
on May 8, 2014
This receiver is awesome. I use it in conjunction with a Bravia 55" TV, five Polk Audio speakers, a Polk audio subwoofer and a Samsung bluray player. It's remote is able to control all parameters of the tv, but not the bluray player. This receiver and the tv operate as one set, with a single button to turn-on, off, adjust volume and so on.

The airplay feature works for audio only, which is a pity. I wish I could play YouTube videos, iPhone photos and iPod videos throughout it. Nonetheless, it works great for audio, and I s very intuitive, like you don't need to think to make it work. Just launch YouTube or the music app on your iOS device, select the STR on the airplay dialog, and the unit turns itself and the tv on, changes to airplay mode, plays the audio, and even shuts down the tv after a couple minutes. The tv in this case functions as an expensive display.

Audio for movies is awesome, specially with the Polk speakers.its decodes the DTS audio off all blurays I've thrown at it. Watching a music bluray on it is delightful. Netflix decoding works very well as well. the netflix app runs on the Bravia TV and the audio flows via the HDMI cables from the tv back to the receiver.

Overall it's very easy to use and ten times less cumbersome than the 15 year old Harman Kardon set that it replaced. My wife being non technical, could never understand how to fire up the HK receiver. With this one she turns the tv on and doesn't realize that the Sony receiver is on, as it operates seamlessly with the tv as one set.
on March 7, 2014
I hadn't purchased an AV receiver since 2005, and this one had all of the features that will keep this receiver current for the next 6-8 years at least. The receiver will meet and exceed most demands of a home entertainment system. Basic requirements were:

-At least 4 HDMI inputs (this one has 6)
-4K pass-thru (this receiver is compatible)
-at least 6.1 surround capabilities (this receiver is capable of 7.2)
-3D capable (this receiver is compatible)

Additional added features:
-Bluetooth and wireless connectivity
-AirPlay

I'm not an audiophile, but I was looking for a receiver that had enough power to handle large floor speakers with enough expansion to be able to power a full home theater system down the road (as I can afford to buy more speakers!). Out of the box, it took less than 15 minutes to have the receiver connected to my home Wi-Fi network and streaming Pandora from my iPhone via AirPlay.

This receiver was the "Editor's Choice" on Cnet.com, so that should speak volumes about this unit. It's brushed black aluminum is very sleek and modern and blends in well to an entertainment system with minimal buttons and distractions.
on February 20, 2014
This receiver does what it says and is a good value for the price point. It was easy to install and I found the fit and finish, connector quality, etc. to be typical of mid-range receivers. The remote is similarly middle-of the road (e.g. no backlighting, glow-in-the-dark buttons, etc.).

One anti-feature I find quite annoying is that it shuts itself off when the audio stream is stopped for a few minutes. I've not four a way to defeat this or change the timeout, but I haven't looked either.

This nanny feature has questionable green value in that the receiver isn't drawing that much energy when idle to begin with. Furthermore and more importantly, in this age of DVR, people pause shows all the time for bathroom breaks, to answer the door, make some coffee, etc. You come back to restart your program and this frigging receiver is shut off clobbering your video and audio streams. I have an older HDMI 1.0 HD disk player that doesn't deal with this very well.

So far, I haven't developed an arthritis problem by having to power it back on :-), but I find this feature to be annoying on principle if not in practice.
on January 18, 2014
I love this receiver! To be honest I am in no way an audiophile but this receiver has everything I have been looking for to fill my needs for my home theater. Before I purchased this product I did my due diligence in researching for an upgrade for my home theater and what I found was great reviews from places like Crutchfield and CNET reviews and I cannot be happier with this receiver. It has more HDMI inputs (7) than any other receiver in this price range, which is great for me considering all the equipment I have (3 gaming consoles, a satellite receiver, blu-ray player, etc.). It has 4K pass through and 3D compatibility and I am able to stream music through bluetooth and Wifi connect. The sound quality is great but kind of depends on the speakers you connect, I have the Energy 5.1 Take Classic Home speaker system connected and can wake the neighbors whenever I want :-P All in all great product and I would highly recommend it to anyone wanting great surround sound for your home theater system without having to spend thousands of dollars.
on March 12, 2014
I replaced a Harman Kardon AVR 335, which I thought was pretty nice. This Sony STR-DN840 blows it away. I replaced it to get HDMI ports... not really expecting much of a noticeable improvement in sound quality. I'm powering the same Harman Kardon surround speakers with a Velodyne MicroVee subwoofer. The Sony, outputting 150W per speaker vs 75W for the HK Receiver, is clearer and just sounds incredible. Now I can really hear the dialogue while watching TV and movies, where before I had to pick the best sound mode to get a decent sound effects/voice balance. The sound just seems to separate more crisply, and if I was just listening with my eyes closed I'd figure I had upgraded all of my speakers. I don't know how much is due to the higher power/channel. I like the remote. Speaker setup was extremely quick, and the non-annoying sound tones used for the auto-config is better than the usual sound assault. Yes, the method for entering the network password (selecting the letters/numbers/symbols from the remote) could really confuse people, but I figured it out pretty quickly.

I was looking forward to the Bluetooth comm directly from my iPhone, but what I really like is how easy it was to wirelessly network the Sony and play music sitting on my computers . In Windows 7, I just enabled homegroup sharing and the Sony sees everything and I can skip the iPhone and play directly from my whole collection. Another sweet feature.... I can actually push music to the Sony from iTunes. Getting HDMI is what I was after... but the connectivity options and sound quality are what are insanely nice.

The instruction book is so-so. I didn't really need to use it to setup everything above. Room for improvement overall, but the features and awesomeness make this an easy 5-star. BTW, I have had no HDMI or other issues so far.
on October 2, 2013
Great sound and flexible setup. You can configure 4 rear speakers or 4 front speakers (2 are referred to as "High Front"). I set mine as High Front and you can hear helicopters primarily from the "high" speakers. It's neat. Part of the "Easy Setup" includes auto speaker calibration. The manual warns that the "speakers emit very loud sound during the calibration and the volume cannot be adjusted." I did not find the test tones to be loud but I guess it may vary depending upon the speakers you have.

I've been adding more digital devices to my system but still have an analog TV. When I connected by Blu-Ray player and Satellite systems via HDMI to the receiver then used the analog monitor out to my TV I got no video output. Fortunately, there were enough analog inputs that I could use and that worked great all the way through to the TV. So it appears that digital in gets digital out and analog in gets analog out. I looked through the setup options to try to get digital in and analog out but did not find anything that worked that way. I'll switch them back to HDMI when I get my HDTV.
on January 10, 2017
I used to be a huge Sony fan, but their products are not what they used to be and this is perfect example..I've had this received for almost 3 years and it's giving me the worst sound problems. I can only play everything through 2 channels because you can't hear the voice or anything else. I like many other people read the Cnet reviews and everyone said this was the receiver to buy and it turned out to be a piece of garbage!! Save your $$$ buy a Marantz NR1607 or from a company that makes solid receivers that last more than 3 years.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 28, 2016
I really like this receiver. The programing takes a little while to master but it works great and the sound is awesome. If you use the pass through mode when it is turned off, remember that it will only pass through the last device that was selected when it was on. To change the pass through you must turn it back on and select that device, then you can turn it back off.
on October 6, 2013
I bought this reciever because it was a CNet best buy item and because I have had very good luck with Sony products. I have a very simple home system but wanted the option of adding additional devices at a later time. This product cerrtainly fits the bill.

I had assistance installing the system because I can't strip wire to save my life and I needed wires run through the walls/floor :-). However, I found the reciever ports well marked, directions clear and easy setup as described. Some parameters needed to be adjusted (for example, easy setup identified my speakers as large when they are small), but Sony menus quickly allow for corrections.

I have not tried the wireless feature yet but expect no issues.

Suggest reading through the CNet article for detailed description on this and the higher end model to help make your selection.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 10, 2014
I had a Marantz for 10 years and finally gave up trying to work around not having HDMI in/out on my stereo. Bought this after serious research and I am especially impressed with the pass-thru mode.

UPDATE: After just 15 months the unit failed. The "protection system" failed and the receiver will not operate. Although it has a 2 year warranty, this has not gone smoothly either. The "part" are on 3 month back-order. Had I not complained about that, it would have sat on the bench until then. There are no more of this unit and replacement units will be the DN850. Be warned if that is important.

But also, it takes WEEKS to actually ship a simple replacement unit. Very Frustrated with Sony and want to move back to Marantz.