Amazon Vehicles Beauty Return your textbook rentals STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB DG Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 189 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 248 reviews
on November 3, 2011
The Camera Fairy blessed my porch last Friday and handed me an Amazon box which upon opening, disgorged a familiar black and orange Alpha box with my A77 body inside, safely cushioned in bubble-wrap. In addition to the charger, manuals and ads, software CD, neck strap and USB cable, there was an empty space (sadly) for the kit lens. Since I already own a very nice Minolta 28-75 f/2.8 standard zoom, I passed on ordering the A77 with the new 16-50 f/2.8 SSM "kit" lens. I put quotes around "kit" because the new 16-50 is anything but a standard starter lens. It has a constant f/2.8 maximum aperture, solid build and is weather-sealed to match the A77. Though not designated as a "G" or "CZ" lens, in tests it approaches the performance of Sony's excellent 24-70 f/2.8 Zeiss and is actually designed to fill the same effective focal length range on the APS-C cameras that the 24-70 does on full-frame. I planned on replacing my Minolta lens with the Zeiss next year but this new "kit" entry seems to be a serious alternative and since it is designed for the smaller APS-C sensor, manufacturing cost savings make it a heck of a bargain at half the price.

Look and Feel

If you have never handled a pro or semi-pro camera body, the tactile difference between a polycarbonate and magnesium alloy shell is immediately noticeable. Even though the body only weighs a little over 1½ lbs (without lens), it feels solid. It has a rubber grip that extends around the back on the right to cover the thumb rest area. The grip itself is deep and fits my medium-wide hands comfortably with a secure feel when holding it one-handed. The body is a little taller than the A700 but more rounded with a matte finish that gives it a no-nonsense appearance. I wouldn't base a camera purchase on how pretty it was, but I appreciate the look of a well-made tool whether it is a Kitchen-Ad mixer, a drill press or a tripod. The A77 is a well-made tool and that makes it pretty to me!

It's What's Outside That Counts

The control layout is a bit different than the A700 but the main controls are similar enough that I was comfortable with it after only a few minutes of fiddling with them. Sony's Quick-Navi menu system from the A700 is gone but the replacement is not a step backward. All of the main functions except stabilization on/off can be accessed either with a dedicated button or on the LCD with a press of the function button. the The stabilization on/off being relegated to the menu instead of having a dedicated button was surprising at first, but after thinking it over, I decided that I really never switched it off unless it was for one of the rare times I was using a tripod (or by accident) and all too often I forgot to turn It back on. Having it on by default and being able to set the menu to come on in the same position that you left it is a workable alternative to having a dedicated switch. One addition is the movie button. Yes, movie. The A77 is the first DSLR I've owned that can do movies and in addition to a full movie mode on the mode dial, there is a record-it-now movie button that lets you start a recording of that unexpected UFO encounter with your default settings at a moment's notice. Now I just have to remember that my DSLR takes movies!

The LCD screen is the same size as the one on the A700 and has the same extremely high resolution but with improved brightness and contrast making it easier to see in bright light. Unlike the A700 the A77's LCD is articulated. Very articulated! The mechanism is very sturdy and can be tilted or swiveled into almost any forward, rearward or sideward position. It even allows you to flip the screen inward in the collapsed position for protection.

The top of the body includes the aforementioned dedicated function buttons plus a monochrome LCD with it own dedicated backlight button that displays the basic camera settings at a glance. The selection on the mode dial is a little different from the ones on the A700. The multiple scene modes are replaced with a single scene mode position and the various modes are now chosen on the rear screen using the joystick control. The additional scene modes have been replaced with settings for Movie mode, 12 fps shooting mode, Sweep Panorama and 3D Sweep Panorama.

The pop-up flash has a new mechanism that slides the flash forward and up to reduce the chance of the lens/shade blocking it. There is also a button to pop the flash up rather than the manual flip-up on earlier 7-series models. On top of the flash is another new thing for me...there's a microphone on my camera! Maybe I'll have to try this movie thing after all. The autofocus mode switch near the lens hasn't changed but the depth-of-field preview can now be programmed to show either depth of field or a preview of scene settings.

Inside counts too

The first "inside" part that I checked out was the viewfinder. After reading all of the doomsaying from the fear, uncertainty and doubt threads on the forums followed by nearly unanimous praise from people who had actually used the camera, I had to see for myself. I have had cameras with EVFs that were considered good. My Minolta D7i was hopelessly outclassed by the full VGA EVF on my Minolta A2 (yes, full VGA on a digicam bridge camera back in 2004!) and I was impressed by the A55 that I tried at a local store. About the new OLED viewfinder on the A77, all I can say is....wow! I imagine if you had 20-10 vision and were college-trained to pick flyspecks out of ground pepper, you might be able to see pixels in the image. I certainly can't. It's like looking at a good 17" XVGA monitor from about 2'-3' away. The image is sharp and contrasty with nicely saturated color. The only clear reminder that it is an electronic image is in areas of very bright highlights or deep shadows where the dynamic range of the display cuts off before you eye would through an OVF. If you pan quickly, there is a faint fuzzing of vertical edges, but no serious degradation and no color tearing at all. Following a moving object is no more difficult than it was with my A700. As light gets lower the image grains up and gives you video noise sparkle which worsens as available light decreases. but still lets you see to compose down past where it would be practical or even possible with an OVF. Those are the basics. The initial plusses and minuses, so to speak. Now for the cool stuff! The list of add-ons in the menu includes options for showing all info (OCD mode), no info (just basic shooting info at the top and bottom), graphic mode (like the NEX LCD info display), Histogram overlay and electronic level. On top of any of these you can add a grid with a choice of a 4x6 square grid, rule of thirds or diagonal lines. The real value is something I missed when I went from my Minolta A2 to the 7D DSLR, namely that the viewfinder can be set to display exactly what the sensor is set to capture. This is really helpful when you are working in mixed light or mixed shade where auto white balance will often fail. Too blue? You see it. A little green from fluorescents? You see it. You can tweak settings until it is corrected and check the results in real-time. Another plus is that you can review the image for critical focus or exposure directly in the viewfinder in the brightest light and see it perfectly. Speaking of critical focus... Most of the better DSLRs can magnify the live-view image for critical focus, but in the field it is often difficult to see clearly. Being able to look through the viewfinder and see a magnified image centered on any point in the frame is a real winner. Another great tool is focus peaking. This is a tool used in videography to highlight the parts of the frame that have the highest contrast (sharpest focus) so the cameraman can quickly determine where the focal point is while filming. What it does is create a colored halo (choice of red, yellow or white) on the edges of objects in the in-focus area that is very easy to see even if you are looking at a washed out LCD with the camera at an angle that makes using the viewfinder difficult or impossible. My bottom line? The A77 EVF exceeded my expectations. It offers a razor-sharp image that displays a larger, brighter view than any APS-C camera (the A700 is one of the best) and nearly as good as the full frame cameras. It also has some technological tricks up its sleeve that are more than marketing gimmicks and offer real functional value.

Deeper Inside

Really deep inside is a somewhat controversial Exmor sensor. It is 24MP which is far and away the highest pixel count of any APS-C camera on the market today. Why controversial? If you have been following the build-up to the release of the A77 and the initial reviews, you have surely seen endless threads on whether Sony should have put so many pixels on an APS-C sensor or spent their efforts on making a lower pixel-count sensor with stellar high-ISO performance. There are also thousands of images with accompanying text declaring its image quality is anywhere from better than medium-format to worse than a cheap compact. In truth, it is neither. Rather it is an advancement in sensor technology that trades some high-ISO performance for some pretty remarkable low-ISO resolution. It also makes a couple of steps ahead in color accuracy and dynamic range.

I am not one to snap a photo and peer endlessly at each pixel blown up to 100% on my monitor, searching for something to b1tch about. I prefer to look at the images as I expect to display them and determine if they will look good. So far, the A77 looks good. Real good.

Tools to Get Those Images

In the past, having "special" modes on a DSLR other than P-A-S-M (Program, Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority and Manual) was pooh-poohed as a sure indicator of an entry-level camera that catered to photographers without a clear understanding of basic settings. Though this sounds a little snotty, it was generally true with helper modes like "Sunsets", "Sports" and "Landscapes" to preset the beginner's camera for best-bet shutter and aperture combinations for those subjects. I always thought that some of the more advanced cameras might benefit from some presets that would quickly get you near the optimal settings or add functionality that would be hard to set up manually. As I mentioned earlier, the A700 had a selection "special" settings on the mode dial for just that purpose and after checking them out when I got it, I never actually used any of them. That may change with the A77. While diving into the scene mode menu on the A77, it earned guaranteed return visits when it revealed a hidden gem in the Hand-Held Twilight mode. This first appeared on the higher end Sony compacts and is quite a useful feature. It fires off a series of shots in rapid succession then matches and stacks them to reduce noise and enhance detail in low-light situations. Image stacking has been available in Photoshop and other dedicated programs for years, but having it done for you in-camera is pretty cool. Some of the other features that have migrated from the compacts to the NEX and now to the DSLRs are Auto HDR and Sweep Panorama. The Auto HDR is similar to the Auto Bracket feature found on many DSLRs to trigger a series of exposures with ascending values to be used to create an HDR (High Dynamic Range) image. Auto HDR goes one step farther by actually combining and processing the images in the camera. Maybe not as "pro" as sitting in front of a computer and processing/tweaking the files in expensive software for an hour to get a natural-looking dynamic range enhancement, but Easy and Good trumps Hard and A Tiny Bit Better any day. If you want to do more than natural and create HDR art, the auto-bracketing covers up to a 6 EV span and there is always manual. The list goes on...

Shooting

Quite simply...I like it!

It is solid, well-balanced, easy to grip and has a control set that grows familiar very quickly. I originally chose the A700 for its control ergonomics and the A77 may end up being a bit better! There's the huge, bright viewfinder and an acrobatic LCD that makes low, high and odd angle shots easier than ever before.

The fastest autofocus I have ever had the pleasure to use and it is accurate too. If one of my lenses back- or front-focuses, there is a menu to compensate with micro adjustments that registers and saves the adjustments for up to 30 lenses. Technological assist for critical manual focusing is very useful.

Fully metered, focus tracking continuous shooting at up to 8 fps is probably more than I will ever need and if it isn't, the more restricted 12 fps mode should cover it.

Image quality is pretty amazing. I haven't tried out the RAW files yet but the JPEGs are quite good. If they improve the JPEG engine with firmware like they did with the A700, I may never use RAW.

And then there is the movie mode...up to 28mbs 1080p60 recording with full-time autofocus or manual focus assisted with peaking...

The features and combination of features fills a 240 page manual and rather than plod through them here ad nauseum, I'm going to go enjoy the rush of photographic inspiration that always comes with a shiny new tool!

Down The Rabbit Hole...?

Is the SLT design with a high-quality electronic viewfinder the wave of the future? Maybe, maybe not. There is personal preference and user inertia involved as with any major change. Remember, it wasn't until digital capture surpassed the film in working quality the it was widely accepted by working photographers and it took years after that to pry film out of some of those cold, dead cameras. The usability of the A77 viewfinder certainly has captured my interest and the interest of a lot of people that would have (and did) scoff at the idea.

Is 24MP too much for APS-C? Some would say yes and I might have been one of them. Certainly the high-ISO performance would have been improved with fewer and larger pixels but for print sizes up to 12x18, the ISO 6400 images are pretty darn good and that places it at least two stops better than the A700 even with double the pixels. At ISO 100 to 400 in good light (which covers portraits and most landscapes) the level of detail is truly amazing and rivals the current crop of full-frame cameras. If you add the improved dynamic range and better color fidelity I might still say that 24MP is too much, but with a lot less conviction than before.

I hope this answered a few questions, I will add more images and perhaps some comments as I get more familiar with my new friend.

Happy shooting!
review image review image
99 comments| 203 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 3, 2012
I purchased this camera to shoot wedding video's because of it's superior focusing system. I shot several stills as well, and found that the images equalled or exceeded the quality of images shot with my Canon 5D MKII with L Series lenses. The only department this camera falls short in is it's limited capacity to shoot in low light. It will still focus very well in low light, but the images/video become very grainy. Images are equal to or slightly better than 5D MKII at 100 ISO and stay really good till about 800 ISO. After 800 ISO image quality starts degrading slowly till 1600 ISO which is the last usable ISO setting with acceptable results. The camera does have an option to shoot high quality pictures at even 6400 ISO, but the render time is very long. But it is great to have this option. Because of the extensive electronics, there is a lot of drain on the battery, so a spare battery is a must if you shoot professionally. Sony's 'Steady shot' is definately superior and more affective than Canon's 'Image stabalizer' and Nikon's 'Vibration reduction' technology. The electronic OLED True Viewfinder is amazingly accurate and can be switched off to work as a conventional viewfinder. The built in special effects are very interesting and a real Bonus. Everytime I pick up the camera and hit the FN button, I discover someting new. This camera has by far exceeded my expectations, and is priced reasonably. This is not like a conventional DSLR, it is totally new technology, redesigned from scratch. I have been shooting professionally for 30 years and have used all kinds of camera's in different formats, made by different manufacturer's and I would highly recommend this camera for Business or pleasure.
on April 21, 2017
A fantastic camera to discover/re-discover the joys of photography. Like many people, I enjoy using the camera on my smartphone for most occasions. However, I have also found that a good pro-am camera can enhance one's experience of enjoying a place or event. Here are my top 5 pros and cons of the Sony A77. For what it is worth, I love photography but am not a professional by any means.

Pros:
1. Great results in a fully automatic mode as well as when experimenting with the various manual settings. The software is very intuitive.
2. Inbuilt GPS is useful when importing photos into an app (such as Apple's Photo App) where it can use location-based information.
3. Extremely fast shutter speed means that I can use this camera in situations where a smartphone camera is mostly useless. It takes great pictures in any environment.
4. The build quality is excellent, and the camera is very well balanced and easy to use.
5. The inbuilt digital zoom is very useful. It essentially quadruples the range of your existing lens.

Cons:
1. There is a newer model with somewhat better features. Honestly, I compared the A77 to the replacement A77II, and in my comparison, there was almost no way to see any difference even on a 27 inch 5K iMac. So the A77 might well be worth the $300 or so savings.
2. The A7 does not have inbuilt wifi/NFC like the Alpha A6300 or A7 or A77II series. NFC makes it easy to transfer your photos to smartphone/tablet and edit them there.
3. The form factor is much larger than the mirrorless cameras. Honestly, if I had not been able to get such a good deal on an excellent A-Mount zoom lens, I would most likely have gone E-Mount (mirrorless).
4. An entry level camera could be had for much cheaper. The comparable A65, for instance, is almost 50% cheaper, is missing a few bells and whistles and is made with plastic v. metal.
5. The A77 does not have an optical view finder. As a result, the camera must be turned on. Using a digital viewfinder can also take a little getting used to. However, the viewfinder on the A77 is excellent.

Overall, I am enjoying this camera. It is good value for money. Excellent design, build quality and of course the photos! I realize it is also a capable video camera, however, in my case I just use my iPhone 7S for videos at this point. You do not need to be a pro to love and benefit from this camera.

The product was shipped promptly and came very well packaged.

EDIT: In my original review I had mentioned the lack of an optical viewer as a con for this camera. Actually it's very much a pro. This I say after a more thorough use of the camera now. The EVA shows you exactly what the sensor sees and is more realistic to the actual photo. The EVF works in almost total darkness where an optical view is useless. I am liking the camera more I use it. At the current prices, this is an amazing value.
on December 28, 2012
This is a well-reviewed camera in many quarters. I'll second that! Sony has done some truly innovative things with this camera. If you're a Canon or Nikon loyalist, this camera is not for you. Move on and spare the rest of us your scowls and needless pity. We know you're just secretly bummed that you bought in on their gear all these years and can't fathom starting over. And that the idea of SLT is killing you right now. I'm confident Canon and Nikon appreciate your letters.

But if you're relatively flexible on your brand loyalty and your budget. And if you're looking for an alternative that scratches some of the innovation itches that the rest of us crave in the overall user experience of photography, this one deserves a hard look. The sheer volume of features, flexibility, and quality construction of this model is nothing short of stunning. Depending on your budget this one may or may not seem affordable to you. I would say, though, that for the price there may be no camera that gives you more for your money.

I'm not a pro by any stretch, but I have been classically trained in using Aperture priority. I value having a versatile articulating LCD screen to help me frame up unusual shots. And, most importantly, I'm happy to say this camera makes me want to take it out an use it and learn more. Perhaps that's the best measure of a great camera overall.
on October 22, 2013
as a background I came from a 6 years long canon journey with 8 lenses and two flash guns, never wanted to go for full frames and never earned my life from photography, however photography is the second most important after my family. the review below is after 4 months of using the camera in almost all conditions.

At a point i thought I'm giving up my canon 50D for the 60D, 70D or the legendary flagship 7D, out of the blue i came a cross the A77 (though I never thought before to change my canon gear even for Nikon's) and after some online research i decided to head to a Sony shop and test it and oh boy only if you believe in love at the first sight you would know how i felt, i have a real large hands but this baby just balance right the grip is fantastic and the build quality of the camera directly had me in. first time i put it against my eyes i LOVED the E-viewfinder, the idea of -what you see is what you get - that handy is amazing couldn't believe that i will kiss the test shots forever. only then i decided I'M getting it. the amount of details that this camera can handle in a single shot can't be compared with any crop sensor all over the market you name it. the sharpness and the color depth and temperature ISO performance all are just fantastic. i gave up my canon gear and now I'm building up my Sony's with 4 lenses and 1 flash gun so far.
on February 25, 2014
I was originally displeased with the quality of the photos I was taking, but after some time I realized the issues were with the operator. I purchased this with the 16-50mm F.2 Lens which has a nice heft and quality to it. The SSM motor is smooth but not completely inaudible especially when taking video.
The good thing is this camera can utilize Minolta Maxxum lenses, a legacy lens that this mount is based upon. These lenses were built in the 80s and quality is far superior to most modern lenses and they cost significantly less. I got a 100-300mm lens and was able to get some good hand-held shots even at max focal length. As a novice these lenses definitely help boost my collection for a fraction of the price.
Noticeable flaws:
- Cannot use autofocus and adjust aperture or shutter while in movie mode. If you want to adjust those settings you have to switch to manual focus.
- Cannot use PC to control/record.

I’ve honestly owned this camera for over a year and barely touched it because I was just so unhappy with how my pictures were turning out. I then decided to practice a little more recently and was blown away with the photos after I realized how to use it properly.
Feel free to check out some of my customer images that I've uploaded.
on March 19, 2014
WOW! This is one very impressive camera.
OK… I know it does not have a magnesium Frame.
If you are in urban warfare, riots, or in the jungle getting shot at by all means get the magnesium frame and the super high speeds of the ‘very’ top model(s) – but add another $6,000 dollars.

Otherwise for the Photography that the normal person needs; this prosumer level camera is great. I understand that Nikon and Canon have faster cameras with some better performance numbers but I come from the Minolta family and have over $15K invested in lenses and just need to stay with the same lens mounts. Thanks to SONY they kept the Minolta lens mount when they bought Minolta.

By far the semi-translucent mirror function is what I have learned to appreciate the most, especially when recording video. If the mirror hand to flip up this would not work. Having auto-focus working as I change the zoom on this camera is amazing. The audio is also good.

The Digital image quality is great. These are a lot of megapixels. I have actually reduced the size that are saved to the card for day to day photos. I turn it to full resolution only when doing something to upload for resell.

Of course there are sites that do 1000x better in evaluating a camera and making the comparisons - [...] – is my favorite and it has links right back to Amazon to buy this camera.

You will need to buy the third party book that explains all the functionality – I bought the Kindle version so I have it with me even out in remote areas.

Hope this helps you. Happy trails and award winning images for all!
22 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 27, 2012
I have previously owned (and still have) a couple of A700's, had a A100, and used a lot of Nikons, Canons, Olympus etc. over the years. Many of those cameras were great machines and I shot thousands of pictures with them. Sometimes you find a camera that seems to take great pictures every time you press the shutter release, this is one of those cameras. I have had the camera for about a month and haven't had a single disappointing shot. I was worried about noise having read some reviews that downgraded the camera because of alleged issues. Shouldn't have worried. Yes there is noise ( all digital cameras have it) in high ISO shots but shooting RAW and a quick once over in Lightroom easily renders very clean pictures. So, noise addressed, what else? The control set up of the camera while not as great as the A700 is still very well thought out and the basic functions are easy to manage. It's a good thing too as there are a ton of possibilities for set up and use of the camera. It is difficult to imagine anything that might be missing. That said, if one is not up for playing with the vast selection of controls, setting the camera to Auto or Auto+ will do it all for you. Finally, the addition of HD video on top of the stills capability is just frosting on the cake. I am very pleased with the camera and can find nothing much that I would do differently. If you are serious about shooting high quality stills and video, want a DSLR for a reasonable price and are not intimidated by Canon/Nikon snobs this camera is really worth considering.
on December 11, 2013
If you want the fighter jet of camera's, this is it. Just be prepared to study it and read up on the manual, it is a multi-layered, complex tool. This is NOT a point and shoot, it will help a seasoned photographer do anything he wants, or EASILY help the amateur get great photos.

The camera has enough assets built into it to keep almost anyone interested in learning about it for a long time. I am not saying you can't turn it on and shoot with it, I am saying however that if you want to grow and learn, this camera provides so many features that it will keep you interested. I have been a photographer all my life but this camera blew me away in what it could help me achieve, photographically.

A valuable photographic asset, without ANY doubt. Bottom line, you will take better photos with this, and if you take the time, you will also become a much better photographer because the camera draws you in.
on November 28, 2016
Tldr; You won't find a better overall starter from anyone else, especially Cannon, for the price that you can get the A77 for used. (I paid just $500.00) The A77 brings pro features to an entry level body, but it would be better if it had WiFi or NFC.
>9/10

Long form:
Every single one of my purchases comes down to one thing, bang for buck. How can maximize my dollar?
As someone who spends hundreds of hours researching products before buying them, I can easily say that this camera falls beautifully into the sweat spot of price verses features, and that the purchase was worth the price.

This camera was my way to "step-up" my photography from my mediocre smartphone camera. I paid $500.00 flat for a used but "Very-Good" version of this product. The camera arrived in mint condition from Swampscott M.A. of all places. It, however, didn't come in the factory box. Alongside this camera I purchased a 70 - 200mm lens from Sigma for $533.00, also used. This lens I found to highly acclaimed for its diversity and ability to excel in portrait photography. It is important to note that this lens cost over $1,200 new. Being important because what lens you get can make a huge difference and I got what I believe is a pro lens. Overall I paid about half what each item is worth at MSRP and I recommend doing the same only if you are patient enough to wait for the best deal. Remember I spent hundreds of hours on this, so think if its worth spending the time just to save a bit of cash.

I want to address something very important. If this is your first DSLR, make sure you are not making any sacrifices in the quality of your lens to be able to afford this body. Glass is far more important than the camera body as it doesn't get outdated as easily as the body will. If anything, you should actually make sacrifices in what body you purchase so that you can buy a better lens.

>I could spout specs at you, but you can find better spec comparisons and more complete listings on other sites like DxO.

This was my first ever DSLR so I was a bit intimidated at first by the amount of menu options and buttons, but the camera has a handy feature that shows what each menu option means or does when you press a button. This is extremely helpful when I was getting to know the device at first. Full disclosure, I am usually pretty competent at navigating technology and learning new information, so I can't completly say how easy this camera is to learn for everyone. However no matter what camera you buy, you should not be afraid of it. Think of it as a challenge, there is a vast wealth of resources on how this camera works and on the fundamentals of photography for free online, if you don't know what Aperture or ISO means and how they affect your pictures, then I recommend reading up before making a purchase. All that being said the settings menu gives a excellent amount of control over the camera and you image.

One of the best aspects of this body is the diversity that it offers in terms of what you can shoot. In the first few months that I had this camera I was able to take sports shots, macro shots, wildlife shots, landscape shots, panoramas, car shots, and most importantly pictures of my cats. The ability to take a picture twelve times every second is incredible. I've been able to make some incredible Volleyball gifs because of it. If you're going to be shooting sports at all definitely look into getting cameras that have a high fps like the A77. It will be the difference of having your subject be a blur or be crisp and in focus.

This camera covers all the bases. It preforms commendably in both stills and film, and it brings useful extra features like the panorama mode.
The only real downside that I found with this camera was the electronic viewfinder, no headphone jack, and the lack of WiFi or nfc.
But with the viewfinder I found that I actually liked what Sony was able create. The viewfinder is an OLED screen that makes by far the best argument for OLED screens that I've ever encountered. This screen puts out inky blacks and crisp accurate colors, plus all at a glorious 1:1 ratio. That ratio is great as it means that 100% of the picture that the camera will take is shown on screen. This is enhanced by the screen showing you how the image is being affected by what settings you are doing in real time. You will be able to judge your exposer and color temperature on the fly. The viewfinder being electronic also gives the ability for it to display everything the normal articulating 3 inch screen can, so you can browse you photo gallery in the viewfinder and adjuste the settings.

Continuing with the message of settings, the top mounted screen is really handy. It displays all of your image settings in real time so you can easily see what ISO or shutterspeed your currently using, which is really handy when taking shots really close to the ground. The articulating screen also helps here to.

All in all this camera I found to be easy to learn but rich enough in features to provide a wide range of opportunities to explore with the depth to really become proficient. Any drawbacks are quickly and greatly out weighed by the positives.

>This I can recommend as a safe purchase for someone who has a basic understand of photography and what's to take their game to the next level. For those who are new to the concept of photography I would still recommend this, but only if you know yourself to be someone who is willing to commit time to learning and developing their skills.<

(v.1)