Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 628 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 734 reviews
on June 2, 2013
We have a pool that I use to exercise (not laps so much as jogging, stretching, etc) and music always makes me spend more time on a healthy activity by making it actually enjoyable.

I had an iRiver MP3 player with waterproof case and headphones back in the day. It was quite good until the player finally died. Then I acquired a Creative Zen MP3 player and combined it with an H2OAudio drysac and headphone set that was merely fine, but not good enough since it slapped, waggled and tangled while I was trying to move about. Kinda took the fun out of pool time, actually. The MP3 player finally corroded to bits because I forgot to remove the battery during the Not Going In season.

This Sony Waterproof Sports player is just right. Most importantly, it stays exactly in place so you don't have to fuss with it while you're working out. (That's been my experience, anyway.) It locks out extraneous sounds, so the volume doesn't need to be pushed. And it's comfortably unobtrusive.

Although it arrived with additional ear caps to fit most any size ears, the ones already installed fit me right out of the box. Charged it via the small docking platform with USB connection. Easily synched my favorite playlist from Windows Media Player. Enjoyed an hour exercising (underwater, too) in the pool with music to keep me company. Again and again!

I love this thing. One must make sure the device is completely dry before returning the player to the charging dock, that's the only "pay attention" consideration.

By the way, I took one star off because besides producing electronics, Sony is also a media company and I was extra-special annoyed to find that they had pre-installed several songs to the player. It's like bloatware that didn't show up when I opened the device in Windows Media Player, and that I didn't find out about until I was ready to work out. Easily removed, but if that sort of thing annoys you like it does me, fair warning.

UPDATE: May 2014 I was recently knocked out during an elective medical procedure, and as a person who believes that our subconscious hears what's going on during surgery even while unconscious, I wore this Walkman, and had my own favorite, calming music playing while counting backwards from 10 into oblivion. I later woke up to my own music, too, instead of all the other disturbing sounds that one might endure during recovery. The doctor didn't mind because there were no wires in their way, so ... good tool!
88 comments| 172 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 27, 2014
I'm a runner in Portland, Oregon. As you probably know, this makes me a runner in the rain. I'm out before dawn; thus it is cold, dark and wet in the winter. My plan was to update my method for listening to music on my runs. My prior method was with a pair of long-in-the-tooth "Oakley Thump" glasses w/mp3 combo player. These are not waterproof, so I have forgone the music in the rain for the past 7 years or so. Now that the battery doesn't hold a charge, I was in need of a replacement.

The issues I faced were many and varied, as I checked out pouches for my Galaxy phone and a wireless headset. My thinking was that I already had a "music player" built into my phone, so maybe I should take advantage of it:

> Ear buds fall out of my ears, thus the need for a wireless headset.
> Wireless headphones are expensive, and not 100% waterproof.
> I find wires and shoulder pouches to be annoying.
> The waterproof pouches I perused are especially cumbersome.
> Is it worth the risk to destroy my phone due to water damage?
> Do I even need a phone on my runs, or should I consider this to be "me" time? (Yes!)

My research concluded with the decision NOT to risk losing my phone to a leaky or defective "waterproof" pouch, and semi-waterproof headphones to an Oregon gale. And all this was very expensive any way I looked at it.

The solution: Sony's NWZW273 Waterproof Walkman. This product exceeds all of my expectations--and there was even a bonus.

Finding the right fit among the four choices of ear buds was easy. I have a fat head (size 8+ hat size) and, contrary to some reviews, I have no problem with the Walkman fitting perfectly and comfortably. Note that I do not have a massive neck, though, and I believe that is where the fitting problem comes into play for some. The reason is, the band actually fits around the back of your neck, and not your actual head. So, consider neck size to be an issue if you've got a big one.

Dragging and dropping songs and/or folders is simple, and it beats the hassle of iTunes in the Windows world. I much prefer the simplicity of DAD in lieu of synchronizing with iTunes. Just a personal preference.

The sound is better than I expected for these mini-headphones. There is no EQ control, but that seems unimportant, as the bass response is decent, and treble is fine, considering the form factor.

As mentioned, the Walkman headphones are very comfortable. I'm out for at least an hour on each run, and I feel no ear fatigue after four days of wearing them.

The added bonus? These are smaller than the picture makes them look. I hadn't considered that my warming skull cap--quite necessary in the cold and wet--might not fit over my ears with the Walkman in place. No worries! The product fits easily under the hat, which still covers my ears. And yet, the controls are still accessible, as they face downward on the device. I couldn't have asked for a more sterling silver lining.

The Sony Waterproof Walkman Sports MP3 Player is a solid winner.

REVIEW UPDATE 2/8/15:

I've had my Sony waterproof Walkman MP3 headphones for almost a year and have had zero issues with the product. I use my Walkman roughly every other day for runs from 3 to 15 miles in Oregon's famous, ever-changing weather: Sun, rain, snow and heavy winds. I also swam with the product in lake Tahoe in July and August of summer 2014. I'm almost tempted to buy the newest version just to see if the sound has been improved, but, hey, these sound great, so what's the purpose?

If I have one complaint, it's minor: there is no fast forward or rewind during a song. For those of you listening to books, imagine not being able to back-track a minute or two in a chapter. maybe Sony has this worked out in the newer product...?

REVIEW UPDATE 5/5/16:

My Sony Waterproof Walkman still works great after over two years of regular use. About six months ago, it didn't appear to be charging properly, and I also needed to hit the reset button a few times (this does not cause you to lose any of your recordings). Turns out, after so many washings and uses in Portland's inclement weather, the four charging electrodes were dirty. I simply cleaned them with a cotton swab and alcohol, and the problem was solved.

As mentioned earlier, my ONLY complaint is not having a fast forward or rewind option. You can skip forward and back past songs, but you can't rewind or fast forward passages within a song.
on November 21, 2015
I don't like to write negative reviews, but save yourself a lot of misery and buy the Pyle water proof. They are1/2 the money, and they work. We usually love SONY products, and we purchased three of these to make our daily swims better. All three failed in less then three months. The Square trade insurance didn't help, it's really a joke now. One arrived with no sound, and was immediately returned. We got only one refund and it was 12. less for a "restocking fee". (WTF?)Tried talked to amazon, to no avail. Buyer beware. No more extended insurance for us. You don't get the product replaced, you don't get enough money back (if you get it back) to replace it. My daughters, which was barely uses (like 5 times) failed, and they aren't even honoring the insurance. Such a disappointment.
on February 6, 2017
Mine worked great for around 2 months then either one side of headset began stop working on and off. I would shake it, turn on and off and it both ear piece will work till only one side stop working completely. The ear piece cushion keeps falling and I lost one of them. It was good the it came with some extra pieces.In 8 months of use, it didn't run more than 40 mins despite charging for whole night. And in 9 months of use, it didn't charge at all and I CAN'T turn it on. The red light on all the time, despite charging for whole day. I was really excited for this product but NOT now. I should to get refund since it got broken in less than a year of purchase!!
on March 5, 2014
While I know that this mp3 player is partially marketed for swimming, I must first note that I will not be using it for that purpose. I do, however, use it in the gym and the shower and it works amazingly for those intentions. It stays in place, no wires to get tangled in, nothing to drop or worry about breaking, and is pretty comfortable. There are very few material items that make my workouts more convenient, and this is now one of them. I don't have to spend time in the locker room untangling anything or having my headphones get snagged or fall out of my ears. And the quick charge feature is such a pleasure for those times when you let it die and forget to recharge it. It's nice to be able to put these on, complete my workout, and then wear them straight into the shower afterward. The key is to make sure that they fit tight in the ear. It seems like the negative reviews here are from swimmers and people that could not get them to fit correctly. A few minor cons have also been mentioned in prior reviews: The sound is good, not excellent. There is no bluetooth (which I don't mind). The bottoms are tiny and have to be learned. And it doesn't natively support m4a or iTunes tracks. I actually prefer to drag and drop tracks onto it and hate synching things through iTunes though, and the rest are fair enough trade-offs to me. I love this thing! It's small, light, comfortable, wire-free, has good sound and battery life, charges quickly, and is waterproof. What more could you ask for in an mp3 player? I can't believe that it has not been better marketed as I have yet to see a better mp3 player for us gym rats. If you are looking for a simple mp3 player to use when doing anything active, this is the one.
on February 8, 2015
A novel idea -- handy in that you don't have to worry about headphones AND a player. I got the player thinking that I'd get bored during my swimming workouts. The fact of the matter is that I ended up liking the sound of the water as I was swimming more than the music. For non-swimming workouts, I felt like I couldn't get the perfect fit into my ears, and the earpieces would result in a "thump" with each step. I ended up pulling them out slightly and goosing the volume. It kills the bass response a bit, but it's far less annoying. The biggest knock against the Sony, however is in the software/firmware experience. We're all used to iTunes now. To get music onto this device, you need to use a proprietary piece of garbage that actually lives on the flash storage. Another thing that I took for granted with my iPods was having the ability to shuffle a playlist. On the Sony, you either shuffle EVERYTHING or you play a playlist in the predetermined order.
on February 2, 2014
Casual lap swimmer

I started swimming on and off about 1 yr ago and wanted something to fight the boredom now that I'm getting stronger. I didn't want to spend a lot so I knew the product wasnt going to be perfect.

So far I've only used the mp3 player today, around the house and lap swimming for 1 hour. The set up was easy but you do need to install a few items to get going. The programs sync with itunes so I can import my audiobooks and podcasts with ease which I love! The sound quality is good and the controls are easy to get used to. Charging is super easy... plug and charge.

In the pool:
I had the pool to myself today, so not much outside noise from other swimmers. It took me about 15 mins to figure out how to wear it so it didnt fall off all together. When you push off the wall, it will fall off right away, this has to be worn under your swim cap. I tried under the goggles but it kept falling off. I also have to make sure to push off gently otherwise the force from the water will move them out of place. Once I got the hang of it, the ear pieces pretty much stayed in place. They did fall out here and there but it wasnt a big deal for me.

Sound quality under water: he water muffles the sound a bit but I could hear and follow the music and lyrics clearly but it wasnt a seamless experience.

With the music I was able to concentrate and get back to laps more quickly. I'm the type of swimmer that needs to recover at the end of the pool for about a minute oherwise I suffocate. The issue I was having was over-relaxing. I managed to cut my 1k from 62 mins 3 weeks ago to 51 today. For me its met my objective.

After the pool I had to leave it for a bit to dry out because there wast any noise coming out from one side but its working fine now. So I guess making sure it dries properly is a priority.

Pros: fits well
Good music quality
Easy to use
Easy to learn how to use
Helped me focus during boring swims.

Cons: Moves during laps
Sound can get muffled with too much water

Watch out for:
Drying after swim
No diving, hard push from wall
No salt water!!
Watch for the "jelly" pieces that go in the ear... they can fall off.
on January 5, 2014
I previously had a Meb Keflezigi edition I purchased at wal mart. that one was different but had features that I wish they had kept. upon buying this one I was hoping it had better ear grip than the previous version. to my delight it has a better head secure with a rubber band grip that is on the rear not shown in the pictures. the rubber ear buds are thinner and stick in your ear better. as for the build quality it is excellent and it is really sturdy especially the buttons. the buttons are a lot harder to push in and will require to be broken in. one useless feature is the hold switch. the buttons are really hard to push in so it isn't really needed unless u put it in a bag and really lean on it hard or something. I dropped it one day and the hold switch broke and became loose. now it just slides back and forth just being useless. this one requires an on and off switch which is ok in my opinion. unlike the previous model this one has a proprietary charger. this is a change I don't like. the previous had a simple usb cable that really easy to use. its just to cumbersome and bulky. as for exercising I always use for jogging, work, and house hold chores. it is really convenient with no wires and scrolling through a touch screen. the battery life is good and as a plus it will recharge on its own I believe for several minutes for an extra 90 minutes of playback. while jogging it will stay very secure due to the different rubber earbuds and the rubber strapi have showered with this thing but not swim so it is definitely water proof. I highly recommend this over the previous Meb Keflezigi edition which I still see on store shelves.
on April 28, 2014
These headphones are very nicely made and easy to use. Music is also very easy to download to them and quick also. The problem I had was that I could not get them to stay in for more than one lap while swimming. I tried all the different sized ear buds with no luck. You can also try to put your swim cap over them to hold them in but this pushed them in to far and the sound was very muffled then. If the price was not as much I would have kept them for biking and jogging because they really do work well and are comfortable and easy to use but I already have something to use for that purpose. I really wish they would have stayed in because I loved them and you can hear the music great underwater while they stayed in.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 21, 2014
I picked up the previous model, NWZW262, around a year ago for running and on-the-go activities. I really dislike any system with cords involved when it comes to running. They served me well but had some minor issues. They tended to fall out of my ears every so often, especially while running. I would constantly have to push them back in my ears every few minutes. Wearing an over-the-ear hat would help with that problem. Since I used them so much (6 days a week running and to and from work), they finally wore out, and the left audio channel died.

So, I ordered this new model as a replacement. I went running today with them, and they work perfectly. That strap they added is a marvelously simple bit of engineering. That combined with the lighter weight of the earpieces keeps the unit in place. I do think the sound quality is a bit worse than the previous model, but the sound is perfectly acceptable for their purpose, especially if you're just using them for podcasts/audiobooks.

It's unfortunate that they're being marketed as swimming headphones and being reviewed negatively as such. They're perfect running headphones.