Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Month Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. GNO for Samsung S9 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day gifts Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon westworldS2 westworldS2 westworldS2  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now Start your Baby Registry

on September 7, 2012
The thought of waiting until Monday was just too much for me, so I picked this up at Best Buy (sorry!), but I actually got it a day early and have been playing/testing it all day. I've been waiting for a Tegra 3 version of Sony's tablet for awhile, and I have to say it's everything I was waiting for, with one boneheaded play by Sony.

First the good stuff:
This tablet is FAST and responsive. There's no setting for power saving or performance. It does it automatically, scoring well over 11,000 in Antutu which places this tablet ahead of the Transformer Prime by a good 10%. It's not running Android 4.1 yet (Jellybean) but Sony has stated that they'll roll out a JB update in the near future. Let's hope they mean in one month instead of several.

The display is GORGEOUS! And the non reflective surface is quite effective without sacrificing sharpness. Yes it's only 1280x800, but without content that supports the higher resolution Acer and Asus tablets, those extra pixels are being wasted, save for text. I purposely picked a standard resolution tablet. I don't think the higher resolution tablets are quite there yet. Anyway, the display is IPS, and can be turned up quite bright. Colors are vivid, and contrast is excellent. They did a great job with their display design.

The sound is also excellent, with Sony's ClearFi technology making this one of the loudest tablets I've heard. You can even simulate Surround Sound for a more enhanced video playback. Sound reproduction is excellent, and the graphic equalizer with presets works very well.

I like the infrared universal remote a lot. It works well and is easy to set up. You can even make macros now that turns on everything at once, like your TV and Blue Ray player and sound system with one button press. Quite nice!

Sony's design is one of a kind. The "folded" magazine form factor really does make holding this tablet a joy. It's not just another slab of tablet. It's also thinner and lighter than its predecessor, and sports an aluminum back for a more solid feel.

Now for the bad:
The original review units that Sony displayed at trade shows featured a USB and HDMI port. They opted to instead remove these and install a proprietary Multiport (which is on the bottom and not the side as shown in the photos here on Amazon). This was a cold, calculated move on Sony's part to squeeze more money out of consumers by forcing them to spend at a minimum $50 for a USB host cable and HDMI cable. What makes it worse is that you can't use both at the same time. One port, one cable. I find this redesign infuriating, because otherwise this tablet would have been the closest to "perfect" that I've yet seen. It's a terrible shame that some suit at Sony pushed this idea through. One saving grace is the full sized SD card slot, which makes expanded memory quite affordable and easy, although it kind of ruins the need for a 32 and 64 GB model in my opinion. 16GB works fine for me with a cheap ultra SDHC SD card for 32 gigs of extra room.

The other potentially bad news is that, despite what all the major review sites state, this is NOT a Playstation Certified device. I verified this with a call to Sony's tech support. As far as being compatible with Sony Mobile, which might have ps one games, the same tech stated that they aren't even sure that They'll ever release Sony Mobile. Sorry folks.

Overall, I still really like this tablet, and it would have deserved five stars, were it not for that stupid multiport. Dumb, dumb, dumb move Sony.

UPDATE: I wound up returning the tablet after discovering a couple of potentially killer issues:
1. The WIFI issues continue. I got it to stop turning off when sleeping, but after a hard shutdown, it does not want to connect, even telling me that the router is out of range (even though it's 5 feet away). The only remedy is to disable/re-enable the WIFI. This is generally indicative of poor software and or hardware issues.
2. It simply shuts off completely in the middle of activities. Don't ask me why. I have no idea, but for now I'm done with this tablet until they get the bugs worked out And make some improvements.
5150+ comments| 412 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 14, 2012
-This seems to be a very nice Tablet. Feels solid, no noticeable weak points in the build. I was able to use a 64 gig SDxc card with out reformatting it to fat32.
-Initial start-up out of the box took a couple minutes, but the second time I started it up after running system updateswent a lot faster.
I Haven't found any way to install apps onto the sd card though, looks like it is only used for music, movies, pics, and app data. (which on some games takes up more space than the initial app install)
-It runs every app I've thrown at it smoothly, I wish the multiport cover had some type of tether holding it to the tablet, I've already misplaced it once, but i eventually found it. The selection for the three free movies on google play is very limited, and only worth $30 from what I've seen (each movie i selected was only 9.99)
-The speakers have plenty of volume to spare no matter which way I hold it.
By reading though all of the Sony highlights and links on the tablet I was able to find a few full version games that are free to Xperia tablet S owners.
-I'm currently on about 9 hours of actual use on this charge, plus 18 or so hours of standby time. I've played a few 3d games and am on my second movie. I've also been installing and updating apps. It says it has 17% battery life left.
-I've had no WIFI issues and can get a signal in any room of the house, even the basement. I've also seen a couple wifi connections that my phone hasn't picked up before.

Edit: 16gb is not enough, go with at least the 32gb model, a couple of the higher quality games don't install on the sd card, most do, but those 2-3 that don't really take up the space.

Edit 1/3/13: Having some Wifi issues today, even with it sitting right next to my router it said it was not in range (this was after a boot up, not just coming out of sleep). This is the first time this has happened since I started using it a few weeks ago. Shutting the tablet down then powering back up fixed it.
Other than that hangup, it has been running fine. I did have a few random web browser closings, but that seems to happen on every android tablet from what I've read/heard so far. Reopening the browser takes you right back to where you were. Really liking the "watch now" app, Comcast's guide is a pain to search through, this app makes it much nicer to find what we want to watch. I've even programmed the remote app to work with my onDemand using the "learn" option for buttons. Games still run great, animations look smooth. I haven't found a good blu-ray ripping program to copy my movies onto my computer/tablet, but movies off of flixter and netflix look/run fine.

Edit 6/30/13 No wifi issues, still runs great, but sadly today my headphone jack broke on me. I plugged in my headphones and noticed only the left channel working. If i press in on the plug firmly i can get the right to work, but as soon as I let go it stops. I have to send it in for repairs. :/
22 comments| 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on September 12, 2012
[Update 2012-0921]
- Sony update (Release 5) fixed the WiFi reconnection issue. Make sure you have your charger. Update wont continue if you dont plug your tablet's charger.

[Original Post]
I've been an Xperia collector and I consider this as mother of my Xperia Arc, S and P phones..

I love it's functionality be a universal or consolidator of all remote control as long as it uses Infra Red. I can use this device to control my TV, VCR, Projector, Direct TV, etc...

The design is far better than any tabs in the market. You can easily distinguish it's Sony Xperia Tab.

Bought Sony case with built-in keyboard.. its pretty cool but adds additional weight.. so if u were planning to use it just like regular tab that you could carry around, you cld buy protective case (without keyboard) or let your friend drool over it's sexy and stylish body..

Performance is kinda fast, big internal capacity (i chose 64GB). Sony's base application is pretty cool... it's still running Android Ice Cream though...

All in all, i would recommend this...
on December 30, 2012
I did a lot of research before buying my 1st tablet and it's treacherous out there...Looking at the Ipads, Samsungs, there are many tablets out there as you know and many are good in their own right

I came across the Sony Xperia at Frys in Houston, TX and the Sony representative was there to answer questions, demo the features and demo other brands also, so I started forming an opinion early on about the Sony Xperia, but I didn't buy it, I did more reading and research.

I went back to Fry's and asked more questions to the Sony Rep and others in the store. I still didn't buy it, but waited to show my fiance' the Xperia and others tablet's at Fry's one more time. I noticed that she gravitated towards the Xperia and commented that it was not to big, not to small, very sleek, the screen resolution was very nice and that it was very intuitive to navigate and the sound was awesome....That's what We expect from Sony...Right....Right

I ordered the Xperia on Amazon from a private seller that said it was used but like new with a carrying case and also ordered the Sony Black Leather Viewing case. The Xperia came in the factory box and was brand new never opened. I quickly open it, read the quick start directions and dived into the Xperia.....Wow....Set up my Google email, wall paper and was online in no time.

I like the way the software is setup on this tablet versus some of the others aforementioned, as Sony did their homework and navigating your email, the internet, writing a word, excel or powerpoint presentation or just playing a game is wonderful experience. I did buy the OfficeSuite Pro 6 as recommended by Sony and it runs flawless..Good Bye Laptop!

The battery consistently gives 10-12 hours of nonstop use and in fact....I get tired before the battery runs out. The input keyboard works very efficiently and is large for a tablet...making it easy to type with 1 finger or with 2 hands. The speakers and internal surround sound settings make this tablet a must for a true audiophile guru...like me or You!

I don't how I waited this long to get in the Tablet world, but I tend to hang on to older technology longer than most folks, as I don't have to have the newest gadget of the month or year and tend to wait till all the bugs are worked out of the new gadgets, so I don't have to work with bugs and this is a good example.

The Sony Xperia....No bugs here!
1010 comments| 19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 29, 2013
I like it. It is taking me a while to figure it out, though. I haven't perfected anything with it. I have watched a couple movies and it worked well with a very nice and clear picture...good sound quality. I have played several games on it, also no complaints there. I have read about 3 books. That is different. Mostly getting the zoom to work. It is clever the way the pages turn, but each page has to be double tapped to zoom which causes pages to turn when you don't want them to. I find it annoying, but some print is just too small and strains my eyes. Would like to see it have a better lock-in type zoom feature...if it does..I haven't been able to find it. Web searching is ok, once I found how to do it. That was confusing for me.

I read some reviews before I bought it, and at least one person said you always have to be connected to the internet to use it. I haven't downloaded a movie yet..just streamed, so don't know about them. However, I have been able to read my book or play my games out in the middle of nowhere without it.

I found it easy to download games to it using my cell phone on Mobile Hotspot from my car....and while riding a bus. I connected it, started the download, put it back in the case, put that in my backpack and my phone in my pocket.....got out of the car and onto the bus for a 40 minute ride. When I reached my destination....the game was right there. It takes a while to download, so I was impressed. And, was able to play the game without an internet connection.

I still have a lot to learn with this toy, but I expected that.
on March 3, 2014
this is the second xperia tablet I bought. My first tablet was the Asus Transformer TFT300T (gold edition).

My review will primarily compare these 2 tablets across a variety of criteria:

Size/Portability:
Xperia: 5/5
Asus: 3.5/5

The Xperia has a smaller ~9.5" screen vs Transformer which is 10"+. This makes the transformer heavier and slightly bulky in comparison.

Performance:
Xperia: 5/5
Asus: 4/5

Xperia has awesome performance when it comes to view playback - offline and online. its great for heavy graphic games like 300 and Injustice. Game play is really smooth. No lag at all.
Transformer has great graphics and sound too (tegra powered). Gameplay lags a bit while playing injustice: Gods Among Us. Hence the lower score.

Work:
Xperia: 3/5
Asus: 5/5

Powerpoint decks look awesome on the Transformer - sharp images with support for ppt and pptx formats.
Powerpoint images look like garbage on the Xperia. Image quality is slightly better when using ppt format.

Battery Life:
Xperia: 3/5
Asus: 3/5

The battery life isnt great. A charge won't last more than a couple of days (if unused).

Wifi Connectivity:
Xperia: 3.5/5
Asus: 5/5

I've found the Asus connecting to home and public networks quicker than the Xperia. When connected to wifi - signal strength and connectivity is great for both Asus and Xperia.

So overall, if you're looking for a casual, recreation oriented tablet - the Sony Xperia is a decent pick. If your requirement is more work and sales oriented - the Asus Transformer is the superior machine in my opinion.

Hope my review helped. Feel free to post questions and comments.
on September 18, 2012
A slick and elegant product as you would expect from SONY, with a very solid feel. For me the full sized sd card slot clinched the deal. You get a 16GB tablet for $399 + $20 for a 32GB sd card for a total of 48GB for $419. Apple gives you 32GB for $599 and 64GB for $699. In theory, 48GB would be about $649, or $230 more. Plus, with the SONY you can have multiple sd cards with media content that you swap out, watching or listening to what you want when you want more easily for way less money. I love my big iMac (with its sd card slot), but the iPad is too confining. The SONY lets me do what I want very nicely indeed,

Just got a 256 GB sdxc card and it reads it, so the sky is the limit so far as memory goes.
on January 6, 2014
Nice screen, nice interface overall, but the remote app is almost unusable, even though most of my equipment is Sony. Obviously Sony bought it and did not bother to update the database with their own product database.

The only way I could set up my AV Receiver (Denon) is to program the codes one by one, and the detector is extremely flaky, not nearly sensitive enough, and the program crashes about every 4th key I program.

Other than YouTube, NetFlix and Hulu, the rest of the Videos and Pics are obviously designed to make money for Sony.

Tried to install Chromecast, app installed fine, but can't cast Chrome (I guess it is an Android thing), and none of the videos I tried other than YouTube would cast either. I did not try NetFlix nor Hulu, I'm not subscribed. Flash is not supported (I think other Android platforms do, but I'm not sure).

Screen is glossy and gets fingerprinted very quickly. Battery lasts a good week in normal usage. Overall I'm happy to use it for browsing (though it gets me mad that a lot of sites default to the clunky "mobile" site, and I have to click "full site" every single screen), and for YouTube selection and casting to my bigscreen TV. I got a bit discouraged with the clunky remote app, will make a good effort programming it some day to use it truly as a universal remote.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on July 5, 2013
I purchased this tablet as an exchange with its older sister (the very first version, Tablet S) that I didn't like so much. This Xperia S is much better. Better picture, better product design and better software ( upgradable to Android 4.1 aka Jelly Bean). At 9.4", the screen is quiet big but now there are tablets in the 10" category that are probably even better. I enjoy using the Xperia S for a lot of things, but really I like reading newspapers like The New York Times on it in the morning when I wake up. You can also read books on it. I do not use Sony's own Reader store because, in my opinion, it needs improvement, but I have Google Books and might start using Amazon Kindle app for newspaper subscriptions. Google Books has so many free books you can take advantage of. But this is not only a ebook reader. I have also used it to listen to music and even watch Netflix outdoors on the front yard. It amazingly controls some of my Sony-branded electronic devices (TV, DVD player, hi-fi stereo and home theater). The remote feature, however, isn't as convenient or powerful as a standard remote and, therefore, won't replace the ones that came with my devices. For the most part, it is a good tablet, a true alternative to the iPad which, I admit, is definitely a good product to have as well. Sony has since released a newer version just this past spring but I'm happy I purchased this one. It meets all my needs at home.
Disclaimer: at the time of this review, I owned shares with Sony Corporation.
on October 8, 2012
This is one of the best android tablets I have used in a while! Running on android ics there is little to no lag while performing basic tasks such as swiping between pages or multi-tasking. This tablet handles advamced operations like watching hd videos no problem. I have a Nexus 7 and for googles flagship tablet there is no comparison, even with jelly bean! Both are quad core tegra 3 processors but the difference is pretty drastic. One of the main reasons I bought this tablet (I was also looking at the asus pad infinity tf700) was due to its standout features. THIS TABLET IS NOT SPLASHPROOF! They have been recalled. I figure I would just get that out of the way first before the actaully legitamate features. First the remote, I have actually gotten some use out of it and it works great! Second, small apps are fantastic and i have already taken advantage of them a ton, especially for google play music. Third, and maybe the last really standout is the full size sd card slot. I bought the 16gb because of this reason due to the ability to make the sd card storage expansion for the tablet. The build quality is also really good, only some squeeks in the plastic on the back. The display is amazing too for 1280x800 display. The colors are true and text is clear. Sony uses their true black display so that helps. So overall this is a really good tablet for both productivity and casual use. I would recommend getting the base model at 16gb or even the 32gb model but with the sd card slot you can expand to over 100+gb so 64gb local storage is a waste. I would highly recommend this tablet!

UPDATE! - I just recently had to send my tablet into Sony to get repaired. The headphone jack broke and one of the main things that I used my tablet for was music. This defect has made me have second thoughts about recommending this tablet due the issue happening about a month after purchasing it. This has also made me second guess the build quality of the tablet as well.